I Miss ckermit in Buster.

martin McCormick-3
        The only thing that I truly miss after upgrading to
buster is that the package known as ckermit has fallen beside the
road.

        I had a hard-drive fail on one system so installed buster
from installation media and the ckermit package apparently isn't
part of the distribution any more.

        There are 2 other buster systems sitting here that still
have kermit because they got their buster upgrades the nice way
and didn't commit suicide so if I knew a little more, I could
obviously  copy the .deb package over to the kermitless system
and make things right or could I?

        I am not really interested in the kermit file transfer
protocol although it is always possible one might need it but the
kermit VTxx terminal emulator made it easy to talk to and receive
from a RS-232 port.

        One thing one could do with ckermit was write rather
clunky scripts that could mechanize RS-232 communications if you
needed to do that.

        Basically, what is the best way in command-line mode to
deal with serial comm ports these days?

        Thanks.

        Martin McCormick

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

John Hasler-3
Look at gkermit.  It's evidently a GPL rewrite of ckermit.  Also take a
look at screen.
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

Greg Wooledge
On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 08:14:12AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Look at gkermit.  It's evidently a GPL rewrite of ckermit.  Also take a
> look at screen.

Yeah, I did an "apt-cache search ckermit" too.

The package description for gkermit says,

  The non-free package ckermit adds connection
  establishment, character-set translation and scripting features.

Looks like that sentence is out of date now.  But it's not clear whether
the additional functionality has been merged into gkermit, or is simply
*gone*.

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

martin McCormick-3
Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 08:14:12AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > Look at gkermit.  It's evidently a GPL rewrite of ckermit.  Also take a
> > look at screen.
>
> Yeah, I did an "apt-cache search ckermit" too.
>
> The package description for gkermit says,
>
>   The non-free package ckermit adds connection
>   establishment, character-set translation and scripting features.
>
> Looks like that sentence is out of date now.  But it's not clear whether
> the additional functionality has been merged into gkermit, or is simply
> *gone*.

        I appreciate the responses.  It looks like gkermit is
just the file transfer which is good that it still exists but I
want the stuff that is gone such as scripting and the ability to
type things that go out over the serial port and receive
anything that comes in without having to write a whole new
program each time.

John Hasler <[hidden email]> writes:
 > look at screen.

        I use screen all the time and maybe I am missing
something but what you get with screen is a new shell in each
window, very useful but nothing to do with RS-232 ports.

Martin

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

Reco
        Hi.

On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 08:52:33AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> John Hasler <[hidden email]> writes:
>  > look at screen.
>
> I use screen all the time and maybe I am missing
> something but what you get with screen is a new shell in each
> window, very useful but nothing to do with RS-232 ports.

screen /dev/ttyS0 115200

But I prefer microcom from busybox for this:

busybox microcom -s115200 /dev/ttyS0

Reco

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Vi, 03 apr 20, 08:52:33, Martin McCormick wrote:

> I use screen all the time and maybe I am missing
> something but what you get with screen is a new shell in each
> window, very useful but nothing to do with RS-232 ports.

See section WINDOW TYPES in the manpage. Seems like it also supports
telnet.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 08:52:33AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:

[...]

> I appreciate the responses.  It looks like gkermit is
> just the file transfer which is good that it still exists but I
> want the stuff that is gone such as scripting and the ability to
> type things that go out over the serial port and receive
> anything that comes in without having to write a whole new
> program each time.

For automating tty interactions there's also expect.

Cheers
-- t

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

songbird
Martin McCormick wrote:

> The only thing that I truly miss after upgrading to
> buster is that the package known as ckermit has fallen beside the
> road.
>
> I had a hard-drive fail on one system so installed buster
> from installation media and the ckermit package apparently isn't
> part of the distribution any more.
>
> There are 2 other buster systems sitting here that still
> have kermit because they got their buster upgrades the nice way
> and didn't commit suicide so if I knew a little more, I could
> obviously  copy the .deb package over to the kermitless system
> and make things right or could I?
>
> I am not really interested in the kermit file transfer
> protocol although it is always possible one might need it but the
> kermit VTxx terminal emulator made it easy to talk to and receive
> from a RS-232 port.
>
> One thing one could do with ckermit was write rather
> clunky scripts that could mechanize RS-232 communications if you
> needed to do that.
>
> Basically, what is the best way in command-line mode to
> deal with serial comm ports these days?
>
> Thanks.

  wow, bringing back some memories...  i've just used the stty
command to set the required parameters and then written and
read from the device directly.

  minicom and cutecom are there, i've not used either of them
in about 10yrs.

  songbird

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

Dan Purgert
On Apr 03, 2020, Martin McCormick wrote:
> John Hasler <[hidden email]> writes:
>  > look at screen.
>
> I use screen all the time and maybe I am missing
> something but what you get with screen is a new shell in each
> window, very useful but nothing to do with RS-232 ports.

Maybe something like Minicom then? Well, if you can't find ckermit.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

John Hasler-3

Martin McCormick wrote:
> I use screen all the time and maybe I am missing
> something but what you get with screen is a new shell in each
> window, very useful but nothing to do with RS-232 ports.

Read the man page section titled WINDOW TYPES.
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

elvis

On 3/4/20 11:04 pm, Martin McCormick wrote:
> The only thing that I truly miss after upgrading to
> buster is that the package known as ckermit has fallen beside the
> road.
>
> I had a hard-drive fail on one system so installed buster
> from installation media and the ckermit package apparently isn't
> part of the distribution any more.

Have you tried compiling from source? Just because it wasn't packaged,
doesn't mean that you can't try installing it yourself...  does it say
why it was dropped anywhere?

The harder I work the luckier I get.

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

The Wanderer
On 2020-04-03 at 17:40, elvis wrote:

> On 3/4/20 11:04 pm, Martin McCormick wrote:
>
>> The only thing that I truly miss after upgrading to buster is that
>> the package known as ckermit has fallen beside the road.
>>
>> I had a hard-drive fail on one system so installed buster from
>> installation media and the ckermit package apparently isn't part of
>> the distribution any more.
>
> Have you tried compiling from source? Just because it wasn't
> packaged, doesn't mean that you can't try installing it yourself...
> does it say why it was dropped anywhere?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=918061 and
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=921098 are the best
I've found on it.

Basically, no maintainer activity in years, and multiple RC bugs.

If there's an upstream active enough that any upstream aspects of the RC
bugs can be addressed, and if someone were to volunteer to maintain it
and fix any packaging-related aspects of the RC bugs, there's probably
no reason this couldn't be reintroduced. Depending on what those bugs
were (I haven't bothered digging for that info), that might be a tall
order, or it might be trivial.

--
   The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man.         -- George Bernard Shaw

Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

martin McCormick-3
        I installed microcom and like it as it is very similar to
the functionality I had with ckermit.

        I briefly thought of compiling from source but laziness
got the better of me and I am happy with microcom.

        Expect is what I am using for scripting so I just took my
kermit scripts and saved the important strings and put those in
to an expect script.

        This is what I love about unix.
        I have had a little trouble getting the expect scripts to
be happy with the output from microcom but when you can exactly
define what should be there either literally or via a RE, it
works beautifully.

        For some reason, "\r" and "\n" seem to never match and I
even tried "\r\n" and it just times out so the project I was
working with is accomplished by setting timeout in expect to 1
second but hopefully I can figure out what is wrong and make it
run at it's maximum speed.

Martin