I have some questions about alioth repository

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

I have some questions about alioth repository

JungHwan Kang

[hidden email]

Hi,

I was analyzing repositories of debian packages by debcheckout tool.

I've known there are 7 types of version control system.

(Arch, Bazzar, CVS, Darcs, Git, Mercurial, Subversion)

My questions are below...

 

1 All version control systems are using actively? or moving to git progressively ?

   Are there projects managed by CVS, Arch system ?

 

2. In case of vim package, there are two repositories(git, mercurial).

    I cloned the repository from mercurial in debian Jessie.

    I also saw the repository of git is more active than mercurial base on a latest commit date.

    Those are different versions for each of debian version?

 

3. In case of darcs package, debcheckout tried to download source code from Darcs repository. 

    (anonscm.debian.org/cgi-bin/darcsweb.cgi)

 But, that failed. Because, the project doesn’t exist in the repository. Is this working well?

 

4. Some packages don't have repository(No repository found by debcheckout tool)

    like acpi, alsamixergui, apg, aspell-en, autoconf.

    Are there repositories for source code of those packages ?

 

If you give a answer, I'd appreciate it :)


Regards,

Junghwan Kang
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: I have some questions about alioth repository

Ghislain Vaillant
On Fri, 2017-04-21 at 17:37 +0900, JungHwan Kang wrote:
> Hi,
> I was analyzing repositories of debian packages by debcheckout tool.
> I've known there are 7 types of version control system.
> (Arch, Bazzar, CVS, Darcs, Git, Mercurial, Subversion)
> My questions are below...
>  
> 1 All version control systems are using actively? or moving to git progressively ?
>    Are there projects managed by CVS, Arch system ?

Most packaging teams are now converging to using Git. If you were to
start packaging a new piece of software, you would likely be using Git,
unless your team's policy advises otherwise.

> 2. In case of vim package, there are two repositories(git, mercurial).
>     I cloned the repository from mercurial in debian Jessie.
>     I also saw the repository of git is more active than mercurial base on a latest commit date.
>     Those are different versions for each of debian version?

Your answer is in the changelog.

> 3. In case of darcs package, debcheckout tried to download source code from Darcs repository. 
>     (anonscm.debian.org/cgi-bin/darcsweb.cgi)
>  But, that failed. Because, the project doesn’t exist in the repository. Is this working well?

If it failed, probably the answer is no.

> 4. Some packages don't have repository(No repository found by debcheckout tool)
>     like acpi, alsamixergui, apg, aspell-en, autoconf.
>     Are there repositories for source code of those packages ?

If the corresponding Vcs-* fields in d/control are missing for these
packages, then the packaging work is not stored in a VCS. You may
generate one by calling `gbp import-dscs $PACKAGE` which will download
all previous uploads and record them as successive Git commits.

> If you give a answer, I'd appreciate it :)

You're welcome.

Ghis

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: I have some questions about alioth repository

Gianfranco Costamagna
Hi,

>> 3. In case of darcs package, debcheckout tried to download source code from Darcs repository.  
>>     (anonscm.debian.org/cgi-bin/darcsweb.cgi)
>>  But, that failed. Because, the project doesn’t exist in the repository. Is this working well?
>
>If it failed, probably the answer is no.


debcheckout looks only at the VCS fields of the actual available package, not the one in unstable/testing.

So, if you run stable, debcheckout darcs will point to nowhere (since we moved darcs to git, LOL).

the package in unstable/stretch points to git, like the other haskell tools
https://sources.debian.net/src/darcs/2.12.4-2/debian/control/

use debcheckout only when running testing/unstable is preferred, since we like to add VCS or move them between
releases :p

G.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: I have some questions about alioth repository

Sean Whitton
In reply to this post by JungHwan Kang
On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 05:37:19PM +0900, JungHwan Kang wrote:
> 4. Some packages don't have repository(No repository found by debcheckout tool)
>
>     like acpi, alsamixergui, apg, aspell-en, autoconf.
>
>     Are there repositories for source code of those packages ?
>

    % dgit clone acpi

--
Sean Whitton

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: I have some questions about alioth repository

Roger Shimizu
In reply to this post by Ghislain Vaillant
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 10:58:30 +0100
Ghislain Vaillant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If the corresponding Vcs-* fields in d/control are missing for these
> packages, then the packaging work is not stored in a VCS. You may
> generate one by calling `gbp import-dscs $PACKAGE` which will download
> all previous uploads and record them as successive Git commits.

I guess the command should be:
  gbp import-dscs --debsnap $PACKAGE

and I always add two more options:
  --author-date-is-committer-date --author-is-committer
to make the git log looks better.

Cheers,
--
Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo
PGP/GPG: 4096R/6C6ACD6417B3ACB1

attachment0 (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Loading...