I may volunteer to be a package maintainer

I may volunteer to be a package maintainer

Robert Arkiletian
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyfltk

I noticed that Debian and hence Ubuntu have dropped the "python-fltk" package.

If I volunteer to be the maintainer of the package is there
documentation I can read to learn how to become a package maintainer?

Also, if this package is maintained in Debian will it also need a
maintainer in Ubuntu or will I also have to do that too. If yes, then
can I just maintain it for Ubuntu?

The main reason I ask that is I know Debian supports many
architectures, which I don't have access to. I was mainly just
interested in maintaining the AMD64 arch. Is this possible?

Re: I may volunteer to be a package maintainer

Long Wind-2
Please visit www.debian.org
at top of the web site, click Developers' Corner

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:16 AM, Robert Arkiletian <[hidden email]> wrote:

I noticed that Debian and hence Ubuntu have dropped the "python-fltk" package.

If I volunteer to be the maintainer of the package is there
documentation I can read to learn how to become a package maintainer?

Also, if this package is maintained in Debian will it also need a
maintainer in Ubuntu or will I also have to do that too. If yes, then
can I just maintain it for Ubuntu?

The main reason I ask that is I know Debian supports many
architectures, which I don't have access to. I was mainly just
interested in maintaining the AMD64 arch. Is this possible?

Re: I may volunteer to be a package maintainer

Jochen Spieker
Robert Arkiletian:

> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyfltk
>
> I noticed that Debian and hence Ubuntu have dropped the "python-fltk" package.
>
> If I volunteer to be the maintainer of the package is there
> documentation I can read to learn how to become a package maintainer?

You already received the relevant link for that.

> Also, if this package is maintained in Debian will it also need a
> maintainer in Ubuntu or will I also have to do that too. If yes, then
> can I just maintain it for Ubuntu?

If you maintain it in Debian, chances are that Ubuntu will just pick up
automatically. I do not know the exact processes behind that. If you
only maintain it in Ubuntu, Debian will most certainly not include it
because you need a maintainer in Debian in any case.

Be it as may, Debian does not require any contributor to also contribute
directly to Ubuntu. Ubuntu just uses a lot of work that was originally
done for Debian. (I do not mean that as an insult, that's the way free
software works.)

> The main reason I ask that is I know Debian supports many
> architectures, which I don't have access to. I was mainly just
> interested in maintaining the AMD64 arch. Is this possible?

I do not think that you have to worry much about that. I expect most
package maintainers only have direct access to one or two architectures
and the main one being AMD64.  The Debian build infrastructure will do
most of the work and I think if you need access to a machine of a
different architecture for debugging you can always ask the maintainers
of that architecture.

J.
--
I wish I had been aware enough to enjoy my time as a toddler.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

Re: I may volunteer to be a package maintainer

Cindy Sue Causey
On 11/8/18, Jochen Spieker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert Arkiletian:
>>
>> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyfltk
>>
>> I noticed that Debian and hence Ubuntu have dropped the "python-fltk"
>> package.
>>
>> If I volunteer to be the maintainer of the package is there
>> documentation I can read to learn how to become a package maintainer?
>
> You already received the relevant link for that.

There's also the Debian-Mentors listserv:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

VERY patient responders on that list. If for any reason you don't
receive an immediate response, you need to just give it time for
someone to get a free moment to help.

You can find "debian-policy" as a package, too. I THOUGHT that
something similar to "maint-guide" just like Long Wind's link was also
available, but it's not pulling up in Buster. Ok, yup, just checked my
archive file hoard, and there's maint-guide from 2015 and 2017.

Searches for "developer", "manual", and "guide" by themselves used to
bring up LOTS of possibilities. Again... not in Buster? :)

>> Also, if this package is maintained in Debian will it also need a
>> maintainer in Ubuntu or will I also have to do that too. If yes, then
>> can I just maintain it for Ubuntu?
>
> If you maintain it in Debian, chances are that Ubuntu will just pick up
> automatically. I do not know the exact processes behind that. If you
> only maintain it in Ubuntu, Debian will most certainly not include it
> because you need a maintainer in Debian in any case.

My choice to primarily follow Debian quite a long time ago now was
based on a graph of the Linux family tree. Debian inspires a lot of
derivatives so Developers' work here stands a larger chance of helping
more users overall than if one opts to develop for a spinoff "child"
distribution.

For me, it's just a personal *_CHOICE_* thing. It's why I'm trying to
self-teach about Linux itself these days, too (k/t Linux From
Scratch/LFS). Top of the family tree. :)

> Be it as may, Debian does not require any contributor to also contribute
> directly to Ubuntu. Ubuntu just uses a lot of work that was originally
> done for Debian. (I do not mean that as an insult, that's the way free
> software works.)
>
>> The main reason I ask that is I know Debian supports many
>> architectures, which I don't have access to. I was mainly just
>> interested in maintaining the AMD64 arch. Is this possible?
>
> I do not think that you have to worry much about that. I expect most
> package maintainers only have direct access to one or two architectures
> and the main one being AMD64.  The Debian build infrastructure will do
> most of the work and I think if you need access to a machine of a
> different architecture for debugging you can always ask the maintainers
> of that architecture.

What about QEMU? I've used it a few times but never got so far as to
try outside of i386 and x86_64. Is QEMU viable as a starting point
where using it would at least save a little bit of testing/configuring
time for those who have the actual equipment?

Or have I completely misunderstood how QEMU operates? Totally possible
(!), but its description includes things like "full system emulation
of some architecture" so that's why I brought it up. :)

Ok, yeah, something's wrong with my "apt-cache search". I wanted to
share some QEMU packages as final examples of available
architectures... and this is all Buster is offering:

xserver-xorg-video-qxl - X.Org X server -- QXL display driver
qemu - fast processor emulator, dummy package

Maybe things are on Developer hold? I don't remember that being a
thing when I was using testing in the past, though. Seems like it was
only apparent during upgrades. Feeling a little like I've just stepped
off into the Twilight Zone. Where'd everybody go?! :))

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *

Re: I may volunteer to be a package maintainer

Reco
        Hi.

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 08:30:17AM -0500, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> > Be it as may, Debian does not require any contributor to also contribute
> > directly to Ubuntu. Ubuntu just uses a lot of work that was originally
> > done for Debian. (I do not mean that as an insult, that's the way free
> > software works.)
> >
> >> The main reason I ask that is I know Debian supports many
> >> architectures, which I don't have access to. I was mainly just
> >> interested in maintaining the AMD64 arch. Is this possible?

Works in QEMU with couple hiccups. Emulation speed is slow though.

> > I do not think that you have to worry much about that. I expect most
> > package maintainers only have direct access to one or two architectures
> > and the main one being AMD64.  The Debian build infrastructure will do
> > most of the work and I think if you need access to a machine of a
> > different architecture for debugging you can always ask the maintainers
> > of that architecture.
>

> What about QEMU? I've used it a few times but never got so far as to
> try outside of i386 and x86_64. Is QEMU viable as a starting point
> where using it would at least save a little bit of testing/configuring
> time for those who have the actual equipment?

I can vouch for armel, armhf, mips64el, ppc64el and arm64. And amd64,
but I don't use it that much.
These architectures work to a point of installing and using your typical
server software, and can be used for other OSes too. That's assuming
your typical x86-64 host.

Less popular arches (such as sparc64 or s390x) are more or less
broken. But that's QEMU, they break and fix things all the time.

> Or have I completely misunderstood how QEMU operates? Totally possible
> (!), but its description includes things like "full system emulation
> of some architecture" so that's why I brought it up. :)

Usually works as advertised, but setting things up can be hard. QEMU has
either bad or obsolete documentation, depending on who you ask.

> Ok, yeah, something's wrong with my "apt-cache search". I wanted to
> share some QEMU packages as final examples of available
> architectures... and this is all Buster is offering:
>
> xserver-xorg-video-qxl - X.Org X server -- QXL display driver

Definitely a real package. It's of limited use for me as QXL is for
x86(-64) guests only.

> qemu - fast processor emulator, dummy package
>
> Maybe things are on Developer hold?

An obsolete package. You need qemu-system metapackage.

Reco

Re: I may volunteer to be a package maintainer

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 04:54:13PM +0300, Reco wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 08:30:17AM -0500, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> > > Be it as may, Debian does not require any contributor to also contribute
> > > directly to Ubuntu. Ubuntu just uses a lot of work that was originally
> > > done for Debian. (I do not mean that as an insult, that's the way free
> > > software works.)

> Works in QEMU with couple hiccups. Emulation speed is slow though.
Besides, there are a few nifty tools which manage all of that
stuff nicely for you (including QEMU). Have a go at schroot:
it allows to cross build packages for other arches (and versions)
in a lightweight manner, as long as your host kernel doesn't diverge
too much from your target's.

Cheers
-- tomás

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 03:04:39PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 04:54:13PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > Hi.

> > Works in QEMU with couple hiccups. Emulation speed is slow though.
>
> Besides, there are a few nifty tools which manage all of that
> stuff nicely for you (including QEMU). Have a go at schroot:
> it allows to cross build packages for other arches (and versions)
> in a lightweight manner, as long as your host kernel doesn't diverge
> too much from your target's.

To be frank, even QEMU user-level emulation is too heavy for this.
Cross-compilation is a way to go here, but it has its limitations
(cross-building QT packages is close to impossible).

Besides, last time I've checked, Debian project provides packages that
built on real hardware only. Don't know if this rule applies to
maintainers or not.

Reco

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 05:41:46PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 03:04:39PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> > [schroot]

> To be frank, even QEMU user-level emulation is too heavy for this.
> Cross-compilation is a way to go here, but it has its limitations
> (cross-building QT packages is close to impossible).

All of those things have their limitations, of course. Cross-compiling
is nicest, if the package supports it.

Cheers
-- t

Re: I may volunteer to be a package maintainer

Robert Arkiletian
Thank you all for the advice. I'm currently reading the "Debian New
Maintainers' Guide". I will also join the
https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/ list and let them know I'm
volunteering.