I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Benjamin Andreas
Hello list,

I have a Sheevaplug My Plug have Debian in the internal NAND Flash
My Problem is 512 MB Flash is very small because i need a lot of Dev tools
I try it in a Cross Compile environment on my x86 PC but I'm to stupid for this solution

I hope you can me help

Thx

Benjamin

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Lennert Buytenhek
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:35:10AM +0100, Benjamin Andreas wrote:

> I have a Sheevaplug My Plug have Debian in the internal NAND Flash
> My Problem is 512 MB Flash is very small because i need a lot of Dev
> tools

How about attaching a USB hard disk?

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

John Winters
Benjamin Andreas wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a Sheevaplug My Plug have Debian in the internal NAND Flash
> My Problem is 512 MB Flash is very small because i need a lot of Dev tools
> I try it in a Cross Compile environment on my x86 PC but I'm to stupid
> for this solution

Why not attach an external USB HDD and move your /usr partition to that?

John

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Benjamin Andreas
in the USB Port is a USB2COM Adapter
i can also boot from SD Card but the Plug is my main Mailserver and the SD ist my Maildir home :-)

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:48:15AM +0100, Benjamin Andreas wrote:

> in the USB Port is a USB2COM Adapter

A USB hub then?

> i can also boot from SD Card but the Plug is my main Mailserver and
> the SD ist my Maildir home :-)

So is the problem that you don't have enough storage, or that the
machine is something else and you don't want to do development on
it at the same time?

If it's the latter, but it does qualify as 'fast ARM Hardware' for
you, you could just get another one?

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

martinwguy
If you just need a Debian arm/armel development environment, there is
a 600MHz 512MB big-disk armv5t you can use here over ssh.
If that's useful, mail me privately suggesting your preferred username

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Benjamin Andreas
It it enough to move /usr partition? what is with /var or something like that

Benjamin

2010/1/13 John Winters <[hidden email]>
Benjamin Andreas wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a Sheevaplug My Plug have Debian in the internal NAND Flash
> My Problem is 512 MB Flash is very small because i need a lot of Dev tools
> I try it in a Cross Compile environment on my x86 PC but I'm to stupid
> for this solution

Why not attach an external USB HDD and move your /usr partition to that?

John

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

remur (Bugzilla)
I have a complete debian system on a 4gb sd, martin michlmayr wrote a very
good howto about that, why don't you just try that?

Karsten

Benjamin Andreas wrote:
> 2010/1/13 John Winters <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Benjamin Andreas wrote:
[snip]
>      > I have a Sheevaplug My Plug have Debian in the internal NAND Flash
>      > My Problem is 512 MB Flash is very small because i need a lot of
>     Dev tools
[snip]

>     Why not attach an external USB HDD and move your /usr partition to that?
 >
> It it enough to move /usr partition? what is with /var or something like
> that

I don't know - only you can say how much disk space you need.

What I've done is to attach an external HDD and set it up as one large
LVM physical volume.  Then I've allocated space on it as and when it's
turned out to be needed.  /home is on there, obviously, and some other
things.

John

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Ruediger Leibrandt
Hardcore-Solution:
Move /var /usr /home
to separate partitions on an external harddrive. They eat usually most of the
space. You just have to add them properly in the /etc/fstab , which is easy,
and on average a 4 to 8 GB USB stick is sufficient to hold those partitions -
or, as many suggested, use a USB Harddrive.
when you want tohave it the funny way, you can also just use a FAT32 harddrive
or an EXT3 harrdrive and mount that, and on it create files, format those
files with a suitable filesystem and then mount them.
4GB for /var should be quite sufficient, which is the largest filesize for a
FAT32 harddrive.
By the way: Does anyone use an Iyonix (ARM based PC)? I'd like to know how
well they perform and what powerconsumption they have.

Am Mittwoch 13 Januar 2010 schrieb Benjamin Andreas:
> It it enough to move /usr partition? what is with /var or something like
> that
>
> Benjamin

Sincerely
--
Rüdiger Leibrandt
Website : http://www.tzi.de/~quitex

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Lennart Sorensen
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:35:10AM +0100, Benjamin Andreas wrote:
> I have a Sheevaplug My Plug have Debian in the internal NAND Flash
> My Problem is 512 MB Flash is very small because i need a lot of Dev tools
> I try it in a Cross Compile environment on my x86 PC but I'm to stupid for
> this solution
>
> I hope you can me help

How about this one:

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-openrdcdetails.aspx

Connect an eSATA drive and you get nice performance (unlike the slowpoke
cpu intensive USB drives).

Same CPU as the sheevaplug too.  Seems like a much more useful device
than the plug really.

--
Len Sorensen

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Michelle Konzack-2
Hallo Rüdiger,

Am 2010-01-13 15:51:50, schrieb Ruediger Leibrandt:
> By the way: Does anyone use an Iyonix (ARM based PC)? I'd like to know how
> well they perform and what powerconsumption they have.

Do you have a link to it please?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber [hidden email]           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193

signature.pgp (196 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Michelle Konzack-2
Sorry for the PM Lennart!

Am 2010-01-13 10:47:24, schrieb Lennart Sorensen:
> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-openrdcdetails.aspx

Cool, they are using the ORIGINAL Reference Desing from Marvel...

It is nearly exatly the same, what the Marvel representant which I  have
met  in 2009 @AVNET-MEMEC in  Strasbourg  told  me.  I  have  the  whole
schematics and layout at home...

> Connect an eSATA drive and you get nice performance (unlike the slowpoke
> cpu intensive USB drives).

Unfortunately it support only 1 SATA...

> Same CPU as the sheevaplug too.  Seems like a much more useful device
> than the plug really.

1+

But I am thinking on such Microcontroller with two  attached  PLX/Oxford
OXUFS936QSE which are 4-Channel SATA Port-Multiplier supporting Raid-0/5

Up to 8 SATA drives in total...  Would be a nice Killer-Server!

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber [hidden email]           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193

signature.pgp (196 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Francois Lorrain
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Michelle Konzack
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for the PM Lennart!
>
> Am 2010-01-13 10:47:24, schrieb Lennart Sorensen:
>> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-openrdcdetails.aspx
>
> Cool, they are using the ORIGINAL Reference Desing from Marvel...
>
> It is nearly exatly the same, what the Marvel representant which I  have
> met  in 2009 @AVNET-MEMEC in  Strasbourg  told  me.  I  have  the  whole
> schematics and layout at home...
>
>> Connect an eSATA drive and you get nice performance (unlike the slowpoke
>> cpu intensive USB drives).
>
> Unfortunately it support only 1 SATA...
>
>> Same CPU as the sheevaplug too.  Seems like a much more useful device
>> than the plug really.
>
> 1+
>
> But I am thinking on such Microcontroller with two  attached  PLX/Oxford
> OXUFS936QSE which are 4-Channel SATA Port-Multiplier supporting Raid-0/5
>
> Up to 8 SATA drives in total...  Would be a nice Killer-Server!
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>    Michelle Konzack
>    Electronic Engineer
>    Tamay Dogan Network
>    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant
>
> --
> Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
> ##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
> <http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
> <http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
> Jabber [hidden email]           67100 Strabourg/France
> IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
> ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193

Hello Michelle,

The OPenRd actually has two SATA interface, one internal for typically
a 2.5" HDD and an external E-SATA connector.

I just got one for chrismas :-)

Francois

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 05:27:23PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Sorry for the PM Lennart!

They happen.

> Am 2010-01-13 10:47:24, schrieb Lennart Sorensen:
> > http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-openrdcdetails.aspx
>
> Cool, they are using the ORIGINAL Reference Desing from Marvel...

I think they are the ones building the reference boards for marvel.

> It is nearly exatly the same, what the Marvel representant which I  have
> met  in 2009 @AVNET-MEMEC in  Strasbourg  told  me.  I  have  the  whole
> schematics and layout at home...
>
> > Connect an eSATA drive and you get nice performance (unlike the slowpoke
> > cpu intensive USB drives).
>
> Unfortunately it support only 1 SATA...

Well better than no SATA ports (like the plug).

> > Same CPU as the sheevaplug too.  Seems like a much more useful device
> > than the plug really.
>
> 1+
>
> But I am thinking on such Microcontroller with two  attached  PLX/Oxford
> OXUFS936QSE which are 4-Channel SATA Port-Multiplier supporting Raid-0/5
>
> Up to 8 SATA drives in total...  Would be a nice Killer-Server!

That would be a neat device.

Doesn't it have PCI as well?  Perhaps a PCI slot... :)

--
Len Sorensen

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 05:37:18PM +0100, Francois Lorrain wrote:
> The OPenRd actually has two SATA interface, one internal for typically
> a 2.5" HDD and an external E-SATA connector.
>
> I just got one for chrismas :-)

Oh yeah, the datasheet does say SATA and eSATA ports.  I hadn't noticed
that before.  Even better.

--
Len Sorensen

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:43:36AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> > It is nearly exatly the same, what the Marvel representant which I  have
> > met  in 2009 @AVNET-MEMEC in  Strasbourg  told  me.  I  have  the  whole
> > schematics and layout at home...
> >
> > > Connect an eSATA drive and you get nice performance (unlike the slowpoke
> > > cpu intensive USB drives).
> >
> > Unfortunately it support only 1 SATA...
>
> Well better than no SATA ports (like the plug).

There's e.g.:

        http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/12/kuro_sheeva_mini_server.html

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Tony Godshall
> Hardcore-Solution:
> Move /var /usr /home
> to separate partitions on an external harddrive. They eat usually most of the
> space. You just have to add them properly in the /etc/fstab , which is easy,
> and on average a 4 to 8 GB USB stick is sufficient to hold those partitions -
> or, as many suggested, use a USB Harddrive.
> when you want tohave it the funny way, you can also just use a FAT32 harddrive
> or an EXT3 harrdrive and mount that, and on it create files, format those
> files with a suitable filesystem and then mount them.
> 4GB for /var should be quite sufficient, which is the largest filesize for a
> FAT32 harddrive.

I do something like that but for more flexibility I make a big partition
on the external, set it up in fstab (and mount -a to mount and test),
and then make symlinks-

  for d in var usr home; do rsync -aHx /$d /big/. && mv /$d /$d.old &&
ln -s /big/$d /.; done

Once you confirm everything is still working fine and you didn't break
reboot etc
you can rm -Rf /*.old

This way you get flexibility for /home or /usr or /var to grow without
the complexity of LVM (which can be a headache if you have to
do any recovery)

Also for better read performance use opt noatime when mounting

Best Regards.
Tony

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Michelle Konzack-2
Salut,

Am 2010-01-13 17:37:18, schrieb Francois Lorrain:
> Hello Michelle,
>
> The OPenRd actually has two SATA interface, one internal for typically
> a 2.5" HDD and an external E-SATA connector.
>
> I just got one for chrismas :-)

Arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Tu habit ou?  Je veux braqer ton appart...  :-D

How much does it cost? I have the need (company intern) for more then 30
dedicated servers which will run each  a  singel  service  for  security
reason.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber [hidden email]           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193

signature.pgp (196 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: I need fast ARM Hardware for native compile

Héctor Orón Martínez-2
Hi Lennert,

2010/1/13 Lennert Buytenhek <[hidden email]>:
> There's e.g.:
>
>        http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/12/kuro_sheeva_mini_server.html

<wishlist>
...and wireless?