IDE PCI Advice Needed

Stan Banash
All,

I am currently trying to build out a new Debian system
and am having some issues with getting the IDE PCI
card drivers installed.  I'm relatively new at setting
up Debian and have been working this issue for several
days now.  That said, here are the specifics:

System:
Dell Optiplex GX1P, 768MB Ram, 600 MHz CPU (PIII),
33MHz bus w/4 PCI slots, ATI RAGE PRO TURBO video
chip, Bios version A10, IDE (DMA/ATA) on board.

New IDE PCI Card:
Highpoint Rocket 133 (Ultra ATA /PCI - 33/66)

Hard Drives:
Primary Maxtor (20GB)
Secondary Maxtor (250GB) - thus the need for the Ultra
ATA card.

Installtion process:
I installed the new card in the system and connected
the drives as specified in the manual, i.e. set the
jumpers and plugged them into the board.

I am installing from a CDROM disk (Sarge) Linux Kernel
2.4.2-27 (Yes I know it is not the latest available).
When the installation  procedure gets to the
recognizing the IDE Drives for setting up the
partitions it fails to find the driver. After checking
the drivers on the RAM disk, I see that the needed
driver "HPT302.o" is not there. I have managed to get
the driver code from Highpoint and compile it against
the 2.4.2-27 kernel on my laptop.

So this is where I am now stuck - How can I get the
HPT302.o driver file into the installation package in
the CD image so that the Debian installer can find it
and load it during installation?

If that is not the best or easiest approach to take, I
would like to know.  Otherwise, any advice that you
might have would be appreciated.  I mean really,
others must have done this sometime.

Thanks in advance,
Stan

Re: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Matt Zagrabelny
On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 13:32 -0800, Stan Banash wrote:

> All,
>
> I am currently trying to build out a new Debian system
> and am having some issues with getting the IDE PCI
> card drivers installed.  I'm relatively new at setting
> up Debian and have been working this issue for several
> days now.  That said, here are the specifics:
>
> System:
> Dell Optiplex GX1P, 768MB Ram, 600 MHz CPU (PIII),
> 33MHz bus w/4 PCI slots, ATI RAGE PRO TURBO video
> chip, Bios version A10, IDE (DMA/ATA) on board.
>
> New IDE PCI Card:
> Highpoint Rocket 133 (Ultra ATA /PCI - 33/66)
>
> Hard Drives:
> Primary Maxtor (20GB)
> Secondary Maxtor (250GB) - thus the need for the Ultra
> ATA card.
>
> Installtion process:
> I installed the new card in the system and connected
> the drives as specified in the manual, i.e. set the
> jumpers and plugged them into the board.
>
> I am installing from a CDROM disk (Sarge) Linux Kernel
> 2.4.2-27 (Yes I know it is not the latest available).
> When the installation  procedure gets to the
> recognizing the IDE Drives for setting up the
> partitions it fails to find the driver. After checking
> the drivers on the RAM disk, I see that the needed
> driver "HPT302.o" is not there. I have managed to get
> the driver code from Highpoint and compile it against
> the 2.4.2-27 kernel on my laptop.
>
> So this is where I am now stuck - How can I get the
> HPT302.o driver file into the installation package in
> the CD image so that the Debian installer can find it
> and load it during installation?
>
> If that is not the best or easiest approach to take, I
> would like to know.  Otherwise, any advice that you
> might have would be appreciated.  I mean really,
> others must have done this sometime.

i have not done this, but....
have you tried booting into 2.6 kernel?

boot> linux26

or

boot> expert26

-matt zagrabelny

RE: RE: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Stan Banash
Matt,

Yes I had tried to install the 2.6 kernel using both the linux26 and
expert26 commands at the boot prompt.  However, both failed.  I then checked
the 2.6 Kernel image to see if the HPT302.ko driver was included - it is
not.

Thanks,
Stan

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 13:32 -0800, Stan Banash wrote:

> All,
>
> I am currently trying to build out a new Debian system
> and am having some issues with getting the IDE PCI
> card drivers installed.  I'm relatively new at setting
> up Debian and have been working this issue for several
> days now.  That said, here are the specifics:
>
> System:
> Dell Optiplex GX1P, 768MB Ram, 600 MHz CPU (PIII),
> 33MHz bus w/4 PCI slots, ATI RAGE PRO TURBO video
> chip, Bios version A10, IDE (DMA/ATA) on board.
>
> New IDE PCI Card:
> Highpoint Rocket 133 (Ultra ATA /PCI - 33/66)
>
> Hard Drives:
> Primary Maxtor (20GB)
> Secondary Maxtor (250GB) - thus the need for the Ultra
> ATA card.
>
> Installtion process:
> I installed the new card in the system and connected
> the drives as specified in the manual, i.e. set the
> jumpers and plugged them into the board.
>
> I am installing from a CDROM disk (Sarge) Linux Kernel
> 2.4.2-27 (Yes I know it is not the latest available).
> When the installation  procedure gets to the
> recognizing the IDE Drives for setting up the
> partitions it fails to find the driver. After checking
> the drivers on the RAM disk, I see that the needed
> driver "HPT302.o" is not there. I have managed to get
> the driver code from Highpoint and compile it against
> the 2.4.2-27 kernel on my laptop.
>
> So this is where I am now stuck - How can I get the
> HPT302.o driver file into the installation package in
> the CD image so that the Debian installer can find it
> and load it during installation?
>
> If that is not the best or easiest approach to take, I
> would like to know.  Otherwise, any advice that you
> might have would be appreciated.  I mean really,
> others must have done this sometime.

i have not done this, but....
have you tried booting into 2.6 kernel?

boot> linux26

or

boot> expert26

-matt zagrabelny

Re: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Andrew Sackville-West
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:49:51 -0800
"Stan Banash" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Yes I had tried to install the 2.6 kernel using both the linux26 and
> expert26 commands at the boot prompt.  However, both failed.  I then checked
> the 2.6 Kernel image to see if the HPT302.ko driver was included - it is
> not.
>
> Thanks,
> Stan

I'm not too sure how this works, but you need to boot into a kernel that includes that module. but it sounds like the module is not included on the disk.

Can you see the disk thats attached to the motherboard (primary Maxtor)? Can't you just install to that disk and then tweak it all later? once you've got a bootable kernel on the one disk, you can install the drivers you need to access the other disk and move on from there.

> -matt zagrabelny

RE: RE: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Stan Banash
Andrew,

That is the path I am currently on.  So far I have moved the primary drive
(20 GB) over to the IDE controller (Intel 82371 PIIX4 chipset) on the
motherboard. The 250 GB drive is set as the secondary on the Rocket 133 IDE
controller.  I am getting ready to install the 2.4.27-2 kernel from the
cdrom.  I have already compiled the hpt302.o driver using my laptop running
debian sarge (kernel 2.4.27-2).  Once I have installed debian on the
Optiplex, I plan to move the driver over and run the 'insmod' command.
Hopefully that will get the card recognized.

However, I would still like to know how to get the driver into the debian
installer image.  It seems that there should be a way for the installer to
deal with this situation. Like maybe identifying hardware for which no
driver is available in the install and asking the user to provide it during
installation.  Any thoughts?

Stan

> Yes I had tried to install the 2.6 kernel using both the linux26 and
> expert26 commands at the boot prompt.  However, both failed.  I then
checked

> the 2.6 Kernel image to see if the HPT302.ko driver was included - it is
> not.
>
> Thanks,
> Stan

Re: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Justin Guerin-2
On Friday 27 January 2006 14:32, Stan Banash wrote:

> All,
>
> I am currently trying to build out a new Debian system
> and am having some issues with getting the IDE PCI
> card drivers installed.  I'm relatively new at setting
> up Debian and have been working this issue for several
> days now.  That said, here are the specifics:
>
> System:
> Dell Optiplex GX1P, 768MB Ram, 600 MHz CPU (PIII),
> 33MHz bus w/4 PCI slots, ATI RAGE PRO TURBO video
> chip, Bios version A10, IDE (DMA/ATA) on board.
>
> New IDE PCI Card:
> Highpoint Rocket 133 (Ultra ATA /PCI - 33/66)
>
> Hard Drives:
> Primary Maxtor (20GB)
> Secondary Maxtor (250GB) - thus the need for the Ultra
> ATA card.
>
> Installtion process:
> I installed the new card in the system and connected
> the drives as specified in the manual, i.e. set the
> jumpers and plugged them into the board.
>
> I am installing from a CDROM disk (Sarge) Linux Kernel
> 2.4.2-27 (Yes I know it is not the latest available).
> When the installation  procedure gets to the
> recognizing the IDE Drives for setting up the
> partitions it fails to find the driver. After checking
> the drivers on the RAM disk, I see that the needed
> driver "HPT302.o" is not there. I have managed to get
> the driver code from Highpoint and compile it against
> the 2.4.2-27 kernel on my laptop.
>
> So this is where I am now stuck - How can I get the
> HPT302.o driver file into the installation package in
> the CD image so that the Debian installer can find it
> and load it during installation?
>
> If that is not the best or easiest approach to take, I
> would like to know.  Otherwise, any advice that you
> might have would be appreciated.  I mean really,
> others must have done this sometime.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Stan

Hi Stan,

You have a couple of options.  First, you can use a bootable CD distro (like
Knoppix) and install from the live CD.  Since you can boot up fully and
have net access without needing your drive, you can create the needed
kernel module against the CD's kernel, and then install.  This web page is
a little old, but it should give you the right ideas:
http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

Alternately, you can replace the install kernel of the debian-installer.
There are instructions on the wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerModify

Good luck,
Justin Guerin

RE: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Stan Banash
Justin,

Thanks for the assist.  I'll try those options this weekend and let the list
know the results.

Stan

On Friday 27 January 2006 14:32, Stan Banash wrote:

> All,
>
> I am currently trying to build out a new Debian system
> and am having some issues with getting the IDE PCI
> card drivers installed.  I'm relatively new at setting
> up Debian and have been working this issue for several
> days now.  That said, here are the specifics:
>
> System:
> Dell Optiplex GX1P, 768MB Ram, 600 MHz CPU (PIII),
> 33MHz bus w/4 PCI slots, ATI RAGE PRO TURBO video
> chip, Bios version A10, IDE (DMA/ATA) on board.
>
> New IDE PCI Card:
> Highpoint Rocket 133 (Ultra ATA /PCI - 33/66)
>
> Hard Drives:
> Primary Maxtor (20GB)
> Secondary Maxtor (250GB) - thus the need for the Ultra
> ATA card.
>
> Installtion process:
> I installed the new card in the system and connected
> the drives as specified in the manual, i.e. set the
> jumpers and plugged them into the board.
>
> I am installing from a CDROM disk (Sarge) Linux Kernel
> 2.4.2-27 (Yes I know it is not the latest available).
> When the installation  procedure gets to the
> recognizing the IDE Drives for setting up the
> partitions it fails to find the driver. After checking
> the drivers on the RAM disk, I see that the needed
> driver "HPT302.o" is not there. I have managed to get
> the driver code from Highpoint and compile it against
> the 2.4.2-27 kernel on my laptop.
>
> So this is where I am now stuck - How can I get the
> HPT302.o driver file into the installation package in
> the CD image so that the Debian installer can find it
> and load it during installation?
>
> If that is not the best or easiest approach to take, I
> would like to know.  Otherwise, any advice that you
> might have would be appreciated.  I mean really,
> others must have done this sometime.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Stan

Hi Stan,

You have a couple of options.  First, you can use a bootable CD distro (like

Knoppix) and install from the live CD.  Since you can boot up fully and
have net access without needing your drive, you can create the needed
kernel module against the CD's kernel, and then install.  This web page is
a little old, but it should give you the right ideas:
http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

Alternately, you can replace the install kernel of the debian-installer.
There are instructions on the wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerModify

Good luck,
Justin Guerin

RE: RE: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Hendrik Sattler-3
Stan Banash wrote:

> That is the path I am currently on.  So far I have moved the primary drive
> (20 GB) over to the IDE controller (Intel 82371 PIIX4 chipset) on the
> motherboard. The 250 GB drive is set as the secondary on the Rocket 133
> IDE
> controller.  I am getting ready to install the 2.4.27-2 kernel from the
> cdrom.  I have already compiled the hpt302.o driver using my laptop
> running
> debian sarge (kernel 2.4.27-2).  Once I have installed debian on the
> Optiplex, I plan to move the driver over and run the 'insmod' command.
> Hopefully that will get the card recognized.

In the installer, press Alt+F2 to get a console. You can load the driver from
a floppy disk from there.

HS

        oder über pgp.net

Re: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Dave Witbrodt

> However, I would still like to know how to get the driver into the debian
> installer image.  It seems that there should be a way for the installer to
> deal with this situation. Like maybe identifying hardware for which no
> driver is available in the install and asking the user to provide it during
> installation.  Any thoughts?

   Sorry to jump into this thread so late.  I have an old Pentium III
machine which needed a PCI card to allow me to use newer drives larger
than 137 GB.  I faced almost the same situation you are facing.
Luckily, I purchased a Rocket 133SB, with an onboard BIOS which allows
older OSes to use the drives through the card.  Windows, for example,
takes a device driver after the install is complete and allows it to
use UDMA speeds instead of "legacy mode."
   What I found in the case of Debian was that the installer CD does
not include the necessary HPT302 drivers, but it _installs_ a kernel
that does!  I was forced to install Debian to the older hard drive
attached to the IDE controller on the motherboard first; later, I was
able to manually transfer Debian over to the new, bigger, faster drive.
   If this information is of any help to you, I can provide you with a
link to the (long) post I made to this list with detailed instructions
about how I carried out these steps.  I'm not using a RAID
configuration, however, so if that is your intent then you'll have to
figure out some further details on your own (and with the help of the
good folks on this list!).

Dave W.

RE: RE: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Stan Banash
Hendrik and Dave,

Thanks for the info it is much appreciated. Dave please send the link, I
would like to review the info.  Although, my situation is not exactly the
same as yours. In my case the Optiplex bios disables the IDE controller on
the motherboard when a second one (the Rocket 133) is added.  Therefore both
my drive (20GB primary and 250GB secondary) are on the Rocket card.  The
latest install attempt (linux26) ran to the point where the disk are
partitioned. At that point the installer reported that no hard disks were
present and I could not go any further.

My next attempt will be to compile the HPT302.ko driver on my laptop and
transfer it to the Optiplex via the floppy drive, as Hendrik has suggested.

My only question is what do I have to do with the driver file to get the
installer to recognize it?

Please keep up the advice guys.  I'm learning a lot here and hopefully
others are too.

FYI: Dave, I added your response to the chain here so that the record is
complete.

Thanks,
Stan

--
Mein GPG-Key ist auf meiner Homepage verfügbar:
http://www.hendrik-sattler.de

RE: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Jon Miller-5
Stan,
What I would do is the following:
As you've stated run the primary IDE on the 20GB drive and remove the secondary drive.  Compile the kernel (2.6) with the correct driver.  When completed, add the 250G drive back and try to access that drive.
I didn't have the same problem but a similar problem where the CD did not have the driver for a SATA drive.  I ended up putting in a PATA drive and building the system around this (linux26) and all went ok.  Then I compiled a driver for the SATA and ran the SATA drive as a secondary drive.
I'm not sure if during an initial install one could add a parameter to point to a complied kernel or device module (on a floppy) to load the driver for a drive and then return to the CD to complete the installation. Be like hitting F6 in Windows to load a driver for the Controller.

If any one on the list know if it's possible please reply.

Jon
>>> [hidden email] 1:36:02 pm 28/01/2006 >>>

Re: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Andrew Sackville-West
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:19:27 -0800
"Stan Banash" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hendrik and Dave,
>
> Thanks for the info it is much appreciated. Dave please send the link, I
> would like to review the info.  Although, my situation is not exactly the
> same as yours. In my case the Optiplex bios disables the IDE controller on
> the motherboard when a second one (the Rocket 133) is added.  Therefore both
> my drive (20GB primary and 250GB secondary) are on the Rocket card.  The
> latest install attempt (linux26) ran to the point where the disk are
> partitioned. At that point the installer reported that no hard disks were
> present and I could not go any further.
>
> My next attempt will be to compile the HPT302.ko driver on my laptop and
> transfer it to the Optiplex via the floppy drive, as Hendrik has suggested.
>
> My only question is what do I have to do with the driver file to get the
> installer to recognize it?
the installer doesn't need to recognize it. You just need to insmod it so that the installer's currently running kernel can see the hard disk so you can partition it. So before you get to the partition step, Alt-F2 to a console and insmod that driver from the floppy. Then alt-f1 back to the installer and it should see the drive and let you partition it just fine.

IMO this is an excellent solution Hendrik.

> Please keep up the advice guys.  I'm learning a lot here and hopefully
> others are too.
>
> FYI: Dave, I added your response to the chain here so that the record is
> complete.
>
> Thanks,
> Stan

Re: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Dave Witbrodt
Stan Banash wrote:
> Thanks for the info it is much appreciated. Dave please send the link, I
> would like to review the info.  Although, my situation is not exactly the
> same as yours. In my case the Optiplex bios disables the IDE controller on
> the motherboard when a second one (the Rocket 133) is added.  Therefore both
> my drive (20GB primary and 250GB secondary) are on the Rocket card.  The
> latest install attempt (linux26) ran to the point where the disk are
> partitioned. At that point the installer reported that no hard disks were
> present and I could not go any further.

   This is as expected, since the CD's kernel has no support for
HPT302.  If you wanted to follow my solution -- though it looks like
Hendrik's is far preferable -- you could pull the Rocket until Debian
was installed.
   I'm unable to find all of the links, but I did find my original
description of the problem,

some of the discussion about moving Debian from the old hard drive to
the new drive on the Rocket,

and my suboptimal, but working, solution:

   You can trace threads to see other posts from the bottom of these
messages.

   Hope it all works out!  I know the frustration you are
experiencing.  I'm in a precarious situation at the moment because I
removed the original hard drive entirely and have two new drive on the
Rocket... and if I ever had to reinstall Debian I'd be in big trouble.
  All I really need to do is create my own boot CD, but I haven't
taken the time to do it yet.  I guess I should do that this week!  ;)

Dave W.

RE: IDE PCI Advice Needed

Stan Banash

Guys,

This where I am to date with the driver.  I compiled the hpt302.ko module
and transferred it to a diskette.  When the installation process failed to
find the hard disk partition, I did the Alt-F2. I mounted the 3.5 inch drive
and ran an insmod on the /floppy/hpt302.ko module. The install went fine and
after an Alt-F1 was able to continue with the partitioning and installation.

So that part worked as Hendrik had suggested.  However, on reboot the Grub
installer now has a Kernel Panic.  The last lines are:

Pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks,
Stan

> Thanks for the info it is much appreciated. Dave please send the link, I
> would like to review the info.  Although, my situation is not exactly the
> same as yours. In my case the Optiplex bios disables the IDE controller on
> the motherboard when a second one (the Rocket 133) is added.  Therefore
both
> my drive (20GB primary and 250GB secondary) are on the Rocket card.  The
> latest install attempt (linux26) ran to the point where the disk are
> partitioned. At that point the installer reported that no hard disks were
> present and I could not go any further.
>
> My next attempt will be to compile the HPT302.ko driver on my laptop and
> transfer it to the Optiplex via the floppy drive, as Hendrik has
suggested.

> My only question is what do I have to do with the driver file to get the
> installer to recognize it?

the installer doesn't need to recognize it. You just need to insmod it so
that the installer's currently running kernel can see the hard disk so you
can partition it. So before you get to the partition step, Alt-F2 to a
console and insmod that driver from the floppy. Then alt-f1 back to the
installer and it should see the drive and let you partition it just fine.

IMO this is an excellent solution Hendrik.

> Please keep up the advice guys.  I'm learning a lot here and hopefully
> others are too.
>
> FYI: Dave, I added your response to the chain here so that the record is
> complete.
>
> Thanks,
> Stan

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:24:57 -0800
"Stan Banash" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> This where I am to date with the driver.  I compiled the hpt302.ko module
> and transferred it to a diskette.  When the installation process failed to
> find the hard disk partition, I did the Alt-F2. I mounted the 3.5 inch drive
> and ran an insmod on the /floppy/hpt302.ko module. The install went fine and
> after an Alt-F1 was able to continue with the partitioning and installation.
>
> So that part worked as Hendrik had suggested.  However, on reboot the Grub
> installer now has a Kernel Panic.  The last lines are:
>
> Pivot_root: No such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init
this might be your problem:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/10/msg00854.html

> Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?
>
> Thanks,
> Stan

Joseph H. Fry
On Sunday 29 January 2006 9:24 pm, Stan Banash wrote:

> Guys,
>
> This where I am to date with the driver.  I compiled the hpt302.ko module
> and transferred it to a diskette.  When the installation process failed to
> find the hard disk partition, I did the Alt-F2. I mounted the 3.5 inch
> drive and ran an insmod on the /floppy/hpt302.ko module. The install went
> fine and after an Alt-F1 was able to continue with the partitioning and
> installation.
>
> So that part worked as Hendrik had suggested.  However, on reboot the Grub
> installer now has a Kernel Panic.  The last lines are:
>
> Pivot_root: No such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init

Of course  you will get a kernel panic... the driver is no longer loaded and
thus you can't access the drive.

I would suggest you boot off of the install cd, insmod the module from floppy
like you did before, chroot into the previously installed version, copy the
module from the floppy to the installed system, configure the module to load
from initrd using mkinitrd.

Anyone see a problem with this?

--
Joe