IRC channel relocation?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

IRC channel relocation?

Josselin Mouette
During the last months, GimpNet servers have been less and less
responsive. Currently, it's only one connection out of 3 that makes it,
and sometimes it is to receive an error message indicating the server is
full.

Isn't it the time to move the channel to a more suitable network, like
OFTC?
--
 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]
`. `'                        [hidden email]
  `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC channel relocation?

Michael Banck
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 03:12:59AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> During the last months, GimpNet servers have been less and less
> responsive. Currently, it's only one connection out of 3 that makes it,
> and sometimes it is to receive an error message indicating the server is
> full.
>
> Isn't it the time to move the channel to a more suitable network, like
> OFTC?

Just to raise a point of concern: I think there are usually a few GNOME
hackers in #gnome-debian which are not directly involved in Debian, but
we might not want to leave them behind, maybe.


Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer
[hidden email]
http://www.advogato.org/person/mbanck/diary.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC channel relocation?

Heikki Henriksen
In reply to this post by Josselin Mouette
tir, 16,.05.2006 kl. 03.12 +0200, skrev Josselin Mouette:
> During the last months, GimpNet servers have been less and less
> responsive. Currently, it's only one connection out of 3 that makes it,
> and sometimes it is to receive an error message indicating the server is
> full. Isn't it the time to move the channel to a more suitable network, like
> OFTC?

I agree with this and would suggest to follow the move of irc.debian.org
to OFTC on Sunday the 4th of june (as seen today on d-d-a). Having all
Debian-related channels on the same network makes sense, and in this
process I would also suggest a renaming of the channel to #debian-gnome,
which seems to be the #*debian* de-facto).

I understand that many still want to follow channels on GIMPnet and also
that we should try to keep in close touch with the upstream hackers, but
most sensible irc-clients today can handle multiple networks fine and
it's better to do upstream stuff in their channels.

Keeping close to *our* organization is imho more important, and this
points to a move to OFTC during the next couple of weeks.

Are there any large objections to this?

Cheers :)
 Heikki



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC channel relocation?

Sebastien Bacher-2
In reply to this post by Josselin Mouette
Le mardi 16 mai 2006 à 03:12 +0200, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> During the last months, GimpNet servers have been less and less
> responsive. Currently, it's only one connection out of 3 that makes it,
> and sometimes it is to receive an error message indicating the server is
> full.

That's not my experience with it and people who I asked about that don't
have issues neither. Is there any other people facing that sort of
connection problem to irc.gnome.org? Maybe we should speak to some GNOME
sysadmin about that ...


> Isn't it the time to move the channel to a more suitable network, like
> OFTC?

I've no issue with Gimpnet, it always worked for me and I think it's
nice to have some upstream people around (better than having some Debian
guys not interested to GNOME I think). Anyway that's just my opinion on
the topic


Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IRC channel relocation?

Ross Burton
On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 12:19 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:

> Le mardi 16 mai 2006 à 03:12 +0200, Josselin Mouette a écrit :
> > During the last months, GimpNet servers have been less and less
> > responsive. Currently, it's only one connection out of 3 that makes it,
> > and sometimes it is to receive an error message indicating the server is
> > full.
>
> That's not my experience with it and people who I asked about that don't
> have issues neither. Is there any other people facing that sort of
> connection problem to irc.gnome.org? Maybe we should speak to some GNOME
> sysadmin about that ...
Sam here: irc.gnome.org is always the first server to connect for me
when I start XChat (which joins four networks).

> > Isn't it the time to move the channel to a more suitable network, like
> > OFTC?
>
> I've no issue with Gimpnet, it always worked for me and I think it's
> nice to have some upstream people around (better than having some Debian
> guys not interested to GNOME I think). Anyway that's just my opinion on
> the topic

Strongly agreed.  Having upstream a /query away is *very* useful.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: [hidden email]
                                          jabber: [hidden email]
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./
 PGP Fingerprint: 1A21 F5B0 D8D0 CFE3 81D4 E25A 2D09 E447 D0B4 33DF


signature.asc (198 bytes) Download Attachment