Iceweasel as a gnome-core dependency?

Paul Bryan
When installing the gnome-core metapackage (unstable), I noticed that it
unconditionally pulled in iceweasel as a dependency. This seemed odd to
me, as Iceweasel is not a GNOME-related package at all and seems to make
little if any attempt to even integrate with GNOME.

I found a bug[1] in gnome-core that seemed related to this issue, and
seconded the call for removing the iceweasel dependency. The response
was that security was the driver for this, and that I should report
iceweasel's lack of GNOME support as a bug.

1. Is there any background or conversation the RT had that I can look at
to better understand their decision? I can't seem to source anything
relevant.

2. I'm thinking the suggestion of reporting iceweasel's lack of GNOME
integration as a bug is unreasonable. Anyone think that doing so would
have any merit?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Iceweasel as a gnome-core dependency?

Adam D. Barratt
On 12.10.2012 03:24, Paul C. Bryan wrote:
> I found a bug[1] in gnome-core that seemed related to this issue, and
> seconded the call for removing the iceweasel dependency. The response
> was that security was the driver for this, and that I should report
> iceweasel's lack of GNOME support as a bug.
>
> 1. Is there any background or conversation the RT had that I can look
> at
> to better understand their decision? I can't seem to source anything
> relevant.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=682481 is the
meta-gnome3 bug, which has contributions from the security team. The
release-notes discussion in
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=683428 is also
relevant.

Regards,

Adam

Re: Iceweasel as a gnome-core dependency?

Paul Bryan
Thanks, Adam. That helped.

What I'm unclear on: why is this applicable to the gnome-core package in
particular, as Xfce is the default desktop environment for Debian now.
Is the security policy such that no metapackage should depend on a
WebKit-based browser?

Paul

On Fri, 2012-10-12 at 08:17 +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:

> On 12.10.2012 03:24, Paul C. Bryan wrote:
> > I found a bug[1] in gnome-core that seemed related to this issue, and
> > seconded the call for removing the iceweasel dependency. The response
> > was that security was the driver for this, and that I should report
> > iceweasel's lack of GNOME support as a bug.
> >
> > 1. Is there any background or conversation the RT had that I can look
> > at
> > to better understand their decision? I can't seem to source anything
> > relevant.
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=682481 is the
> meta-gnome3 bug, which has contributions from the security team. The
> release-notes discussion in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=683428 is also
> relevant.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam

Re: Iceweasel as a gnome-core dependency?

Kees de Jong-2
On vr, 2012-10-12 at 14:55 -0700, Paul C. Bryan wrote:
> as Xfce is the default desktop environment for Debian now.

No final decision about this has been made. The media was too soon with
their conclusions. As far as I know GNOME will stay the default DE. The
700 MB installer disk is possible with the .xz compression. This
transition is already going on for a while. Iceweasel has security
support, Epiphany has none. So it's a wise decision to make Iceweasel
the default.

On 12.10.2012 22:55, Paul C. Bryan wrote:
> Thanks, Adam. That helped.
>
> What I'm unclear on: why is this applicable to the gnome-core package
> in
> particular, as Xfce is the default desktop environment for Debian
> now.

No, it's not. None of the versions of tasksel which have been uploaded
to Debian default to xfce - the change was made in git after 3.12 and
reverted for the 3.13 upload.

Regards,

Adam

Re: Iceweasel as a gnome-core dependency?

Paul Bryan
Okay, now makes waaay more sense to me, thanks.

Hopefully last question: would it possible to not force Iceweasel if another gnome-www-browser is selected?

Paul