Impossible to migrate to buster

Pierre Couderc
I have updated my sources.list from stretch :

root@server:~# cat  /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster main contrib
deb-src http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster main contrib

deb http://security.debian.org buster/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org buster/updates main contrib

# buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster-updates main contrib
deb-src http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster-updates main contrib
root@server:~#apt update

root@server:~# apt update
Hit:1 http://debian.proxad.net/debian buster InRelease
Hit:2 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease
Hit:3 http://debian.proxad.net/debian buster-updates InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
295 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
root@server:~# apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
required:
   dh-python libbind9-140 libdns162 libgmime-2.6-0 libicu57 libisc160
libisccc140 libisccfg140 liblwres141 libnotmuch4 libperl5.24
   libpython3.5-minimal libpython3.5-stdlib libtalloc2 python3-distutils
python3-lib2to3 python3.5 python3.5-minimal rename sgml-base
   tcpd xml-core
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
   apparmor dirmngr e2fsprogs-l10n fdisk gcc-8-base gnupg-l10n
gnupg-utils gpg gpg-agent gpg-wks-client gpg-wks-server gpgconf gpgsm
   grub-efi-amd64-signed libargon2-1 libbind9-160 libcap2-bin
libcom-err2 libcryptsetup12 libdns-export1102 libdns1102 libext2fs2
   libfstrm0 libgdbm-compat4 libgdbm6 libgpg-error-l10n libgraphite2-3
libharfbuzz0b libicu-le-hb0 libicu60 libisc-export169
   libisc169 libisccc160 libisccfg160 libjson-c3 liblmdb0 liblwres160
libncurses6 libncursesw6 libnss-systemd libpam-cap libperl5.26
   libprocps7 libprotobuf-c1 libpython2-stdlib libpython3.6-minimal
libpython3.6-stdlib libtinfo6 libunistring2 libzstd1
   linux-image-4.18.0-2-amd64 perl-modules-5.26 python2 python2-minimal
python3-certifi python3-debconf python3-distutils
   python3-idna python3-lib2to3 python3.6 python3.6-minimal
   adduser apt apt-listchanges apt-utils base-files base-passwd bash
bash-completion bind9-host bridge-utils bsdmainutils bsdutils
   btrfs-progs busybox bzip2 ca-certificates console-setup
console-setup-linux coreutils cpio cron dash dbus debconf debconf-i18n
   debian-archive-keyring debianutils dh-python dictionaries-common
diffutils discover distro-info-data dmidecode dmsetup dpkg
   e2fslibs e2fsprogs efibootmgr emacsen-common file findutils
gcc-6-base geoip-database gettext-base gnupg gnupg-agent gpgv grep
   groff-base grub-common grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-bin grub2-common
gzip hdparm hostname iamerican ibritish ienglish-common
   ifupdown init init-system-helpers initramfs-tools
initramfs-tools-core installation-report iproute2 iptables iputils-ping
   irqbalance isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common iso-codes ispell kbd
keyboard-configuration klibc-utils kmod krb5-locales laptop-detect
   less libapparmor1 libapt-inst2.0 libapt-pkg5.0 libassuan0
libaudit-common libaudit1 libblkid1 libbsd0 libbz2-1.0 libc-bin
   libc-l10n libc6 libcap-ng0 libcap2 libclass-isa-perl libcomerr2
libcurl3-gnutls libdb5.3 libdbus-1-3 libdebconfclient0
   libdevmapper1.02.1 libdiscover2 libedit2 libefiboot1 libefivar1
libelf1 libestr0 libexpat1 libfastjson4 libfdisk1 libffi6
   libfreetype6 libfuse2 libgcc1 libgcrypt20 libgeoip1 libglib2.0-0
libglib2.0-data libgmime-2.6-0 libgmp10 libgnutls-openssl27
   libgnutls30 libgpg-error0 libgpgme11 libgpm2 libgssapi-krb5-2
libhogweed4 libidn11 libidn2-0 libip4tc0 libip6tc0 libiptc0
   libk5crypto3 libkeyutils1 libklibc libkmod2 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0
libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common liblocale-gettext-perl
   liblockfile-bin liblogging-stdlog0 liblognorm5 liblz4-1 liblzma5
liblzo2-2 libmagic-mgc libmagic1 libmount1 libmpdec2 libncurses5
   libncursesw5 libnetfilter-conntrack3 libnettle6 libnewt0.52
libnfnetlink0 libnghttp2-14 libnpth0 libnuma1 libp11-kit0
   libpam-modules libpam-modules-bin libpam-runtime libpam-systemd
libpam0g libpcre3 libpipeline1 libpng16-16 libpopt0 libpsl5
   libpython-stdlib libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib
libpython3-stdlib libreadline7 librtmp1 libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules
   libsasl2-modules-db libseccomp2 libselinux1 libsemanage-common
libsemanage1 libsepol1 libslang2 libsmartcols1 libsqlite3-0 libss2
   libssh2-1 libssl1.0.2 libssl1.1 libstdc++6 libsystemd0 libtalloc2
libtasn1-6 libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libtinfo5
   libtokyocabinet9 libudev1 libusb-0.1-4 libusb-1.0-0 libuuid1 libwrap0
libx11-6 libx11-data libxapian30 libxau6 libxcb1 libxml2
   libxtables12 linux-image-amd64 locales login logrotate lsb-base
lsb-release man-db manpages mime-support mount multiarch-support
   mutt nano ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses-term netcat-traditional
openssh-client openssh-server openssh-sftp-server openssl
   os-prober passwd perl perl-base pinentry-curses popularity-contest
powermgmt-base procps python python-apt-common python-minimal
   python2.7 python2.7-minimal python3 python3-apt python3-chardet
python3-debian python3-debianbts python3-httplib2 python3-minimal
   python3-pkg-resources python3-pycurl python3-pysimplesoap
python3-reportbug python3-requests python3-six python3-urllib3
   readline-common rename reportbug rsyslog sed sensible-utils
shared-mime-info systemd systemd-sysv sysvinit-utils tar task-english
   task-ssh-server tasksel tasksel-data tcpd tzdata ucf udev util-linux
util-linux-locales vim vim-common vim-runtime vim-tiny
   wamerican wget whiptail xauth xdg-user-dirs xkb-data xml-core xxd
xz-utils zlib1g
295 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 182 MB of archives.
After this operation, 417 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
root@server:~#

The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!

What am I missing ?

Thanks

PC

Re: Impossible to migrate to buster

Norbert Brondeau
A 10:02 20/10/18, Pierre Couderc a écrit :

>I have updated my sources.list from stretch :
>
>root@server:~# cat  /etc/apt/sources.list
>
>deb http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster main contrib
>deb-src http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster main contrib
>
>deb http://security.debian.org buster/updates main contrib
>deb-src http://security.debian.org buster/updates main contrib
>
># buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
>deb http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster-updates main contrib
>deb-src http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster-updates main contrib
>root@server:~#apt update
>
>root@server:~# apt update

__ apt dist-upgrade __

have a nice day!

Re: Impossible to migrate to buster

Brian
On Sat 20 Oct 2018 at 10:02:40 +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:

[...]

> root@server:~# apt upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Calculating upgrade... Done

[...]

> 295 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 182 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 417 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
> root@server:~#
>
> The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
>
> What am I missing ?

I've really no idea what is going on here, but try

apt -y upgrade.

Brian.

Re: Impossible to migrate to buster

Reco
        Hi.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 09:26:14AM +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 20 Oct 2018 at 10:02:40 +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > root@server:~# apt upgrade
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Calculating upgrade... Done
>
> [...]
>
> > 295 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 182 MB of archives.
> > After this operation, 417 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
> > root@server:~#
> >
> > The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
> >
> > What am I missing ?
>
> I've really no idea what is going on here, but try
>
> apt -y upgrade.

And then apt runs debconf, and debconf receives whatever keypress that
was interrupting apt. Sounds risky to me.

I'd try running apt from iLO/BMC/ILOM.

Reco

On Sat 20 Oct 2018 at 11:45:29 +0300, Reco wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 09:26:14AM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Sat 20 Oct 2018 at 10:02:40 +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > root@server:~# apt upgrade
> > > Reading package lists... Done
> > > Building dependency tree
> > > Reading state information... Done
> > > Calculating upgrade... Done
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > 295 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > > Need to get 182 MB of archives.
> > > After this operation, 417 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> > > Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
> > > root@server:~#
> > >
> > > The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
> > >
> > > What am I missing ?
> >
> > I've really no idea what is going on here, but try
> >
> > apt -y upgrade.
>
> And then apt runs debconf, and debconf receives whatever keypress that
> was interrupting apt. Sounds risky to me.
>
> I'd try running apt from iLO/BMC/ILOM.

I suppose 'apt install <a_few_packages>' (repeated) might do it.

Brian.

Re: Impossible to migrate to buster

Michael Wagner
On Oct 20, 2018 at 09:26:14, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 20 Oct 2018 at 10:02:40 +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > root@server:~# apt upgrade
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Calculating upgrade... Done
>
> [...]
>
> > 295 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 182 MB of archives.
> > After this operation, 417 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
> > root@server:~#
> >
> > The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
> >
> > What am I missing ?
>
> I've really no idea what is going on here, but try
>
> apt -y upgrade.
I would first upgrade apt and dpkg.

$apt install apt dpkg

Just my 2¢
Michael

--
Spock, you are such a putz!

A 09:26 20/10/18, Brian a écrit :

>On Sat 20 Oct 2018 at 10:02:40 +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>> root@server:~# apt upgrade
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Calculating upgrade... Done
>
>[...]
>
>> 295 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>> Need to get 182 MB of archives.
>> After this operation, 417 MB of additional disk space will be used.
>> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
>> root@server:~#
>>
>> The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
>>
>> What am I missing ?
>
>I've really no idea what is going on here, but try
>
>apt -y upgrade.

apt dist-upgrade

Re: Impossible to migrate to buster

Norbert Brondeau
Just try

apt dist-upgrade
Le sam. 20 oct. 2018 à 10:42, Brian <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Sat 20 Oct 2018 at 10:02:40 +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > root@server:~# apt upgrade
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > Calculating upgrade... Done
>
> [...]
>
> > 295 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 182 MB of archives.
> > After this operation, 417 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
> > root@server:~#
> >
> > The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
> >
> > What am I missing ?
>
> I've really no idea what is going on here, but try
>
> apt -y upgrade.
>
> --
> Brian.

Re: Impossible to migrate to buster

Hans-J. Ullrich
Am Samstag, 20. Oktober 2018, 14:37:58 CEST schrieb Norbert Brondeau:
Hi,

just an idea: apt is calling either apt-get or aptitude, whatever it thinks is
the best option. I believe, in this case it is calling aptitude, what is not
the best choice for a full distribution upgrade.

I suggest, to run

apt-get update

then

apt-get dist-upgrade

If this works, run

aptitude full-upgrade

When your system is fully upgrade, you can do all the upgrades with apt again.

Hope this helps!

Good luck and all the best

Hans

On 10/20/18 10:02 AM, Pierre Couderc wrote:

> Need to get 182 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 417 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
> root@server:~#
>
> The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
>
> What am I missing ?
>
> Thanks
>
> PC

Thnk you for all your answers.

I have not found this option -y in apt, but it works and buster is
installed!

apt dist-upgrade and apt autoremove  have the same problem worked aroun
by -y option.

Anyway,  have found that the problem occurs only in a ssh session not
directly on the local console !!

I do not understand why ?

On Sat 20 Oct 2018 at 16:09:07 +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:

> On 10/20/18 10:02 AM, Pierre Couderc wrote:
> > Need to get 182 MB of archives.
> > After this operation, 417 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
> > root@server:~#
> >
> > The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
> >
> > What am I missing ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > PC
> >
> Thnk you for all your answers.
>
> I have not found this option -y in apt, but it works and buster is
> installed!

The apt manual says:

 > Much like apt itself, its manpage is intended as an end user
 > interface and as such only mentions the most used commands
 > and options partly to not duplicate information in multiple
 > places and partly to avoid overwhelming readers with a
 > cornucopia of options and details.

so, to some extent, this is a justification for the -y option not being
documented. dist-upgrade is not documented either.

> apt dist-upgrade and apt autoremove  have the same problem worked aroun by
> -y option.
>
> Anyway,  have found that the problem occurs only in a ssh session not
> directly on the local console !!
>
> I do not understand why ?

Neither does anyone else, I think. You could think in terms of its being
a bug and reporting it.

Brian.

Re: Impossible to migrate to buster

Cindy Sue Causey
On 10/20/18, Pierre Couderc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have updated my sources.list from stretch :
>
> root@server:~# cat  /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster main contrib
> deb-src http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster main contrib
>
> deb http://security.debian.org buster/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org buster/updates main contrib
>
> # buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster-updates main contrib
> deb-src http://debian.proxad.net/debian/ buster-updates main contrib
> root@server:~#apt update
>
> root@server:~# apt update
> Hit:1 http://debian.proxad.net/debian buster InRelease
> Hit:2 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease
> Hit:3 http://debian.proxad.net/debian buster-updates InRelease
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> 295 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

I saw that this thread was already solved. Congratulations! I just
wanted to highlight that last line there and thank the Developer(s)
who added it to apt. It's a handy, useful tip popping up in a very
appropriate place that makes it accessible to users of various
experience levels. I'm always hopeful that tips like that inspire new
users to follow their curiosity over to "man apt" to see what other
helpful flags/commands might be humbly lurking in the nearby shadows.

> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
> root@server:~#
>
> The upgrade is aborted without I have keyed anything !!!
>
> What am I missing ?

I don't know if that part was considered also solved so am a-suming
most likely yes. Just throwing in that there's always the possibility
of a stuck keyboard key if nothing else works in that specific kind of
case.

Stuck keyboard keys are the first thing I test. I do so by giving my
Ctrl, Alt, and Shift keys (all *6* of them if present) a couple pops.
Doesn't always help, but it *has* helped enough that it's a conscious
check point on my own debugging list. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *