Improving the accessibility of our GNOME session

Improving the accessibility of our GNOME session

Jordi Mallach
Hi,

With the upload of GDM 3.4, I understand we're closer to have something
that is a bit more acceptable in terms of a11y in our default desktop
setup.

I've been discussing with the GNOME a11y people, and I think we need a
few bits still:

- Clutter: we should try to get these two patches applied, so screen
  reading works as expected:
  http://git.gnome.org/browse/clutter/commit/?id=cafcf14e0e199df65842359d95c6595de46ad32b
  http://git.gnome.org/browse/clutter/commit/?id=0d4d467dd55ac23151a32e52195d47b6ab7706ca

- GNOME Shell: we need this patch so we get Orca activation back in the
  menu:
  http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/commit/?id=e6f5e21b5d416746dd19628791bc93c43dc382f1

All seem trivial, non-intrusive patches.

Second, we need a way to activate Orca using a keypress in the GDM
greeter.
Something like:
  gsettings set 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys' screenreader '<Primary>s'

(or whatever keybinding we think is good enough) for the Debian-gdm user
should work, but I'm not sure how to do that in a sane way. Joss?

Note setting that key as the gdm3 user didn't make orca start when
pressing control-s at the greeter. We need to look a big deeper into this,
but I won't be able to do anything until after my exams.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
[hidden email]     [hidden email]     http://www.sindominio.net/

Re: Improving the accessibility of our GNOME session

MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
Hi,

Thanks for this useful analysis of the current situation. I plan to do a
test from scratch after freeze. My recent tests in sid were not very
positive: I had crashes pressing shift-f10 on Accessories Menu (to see
the result), I don't find any way to shut down the computer, my braille
keyboard doesn't seem to work on gdm3, etc. Then, but I know it's an
upstream stuff, gnome3 is much less customisable, in particular in
shortcut keys. The most problematic in my opinion is various crashes. As
I guess it's my install I'll try again from scratch on wheezy. But so
far, I stay worry.

Thanks very much anyway and... let's see for next tests.

Best regards,

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL

Le jeudi 21 juin 2012 à 18:13 +0200, Jordi Mallach a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> With the upload of GDM 3.4, I understand we're closer to have something
> that is a bit more acceptable in terms of a11y in our default desktop
> setup.
>
> I've been discussing with the GNOME a11y people, and I think we need a
> few bits still:
>
> - Clutter: we should try to get these two patches applied, so screen
>   reading works as expected:
>   http://git.gnome.org/browse/clutter/commit/?id=cafcf14e0e199df65842359d95c6595de46ad32b
>   http://git.gnome.org/browse/clutter/commit/?id=0d4d467dd55ac23151a32e52195d47b6ab7706ca
>
> - GNOME Shell: we need this patch so we get Orca activation back in the
>   menu:
>   http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/commit/?id=e6f5e21b5d416746dd19628791bc93c43dc382f1
>
> All seem trivial, non-intrusive patches.
>
> Second, we need a way to activate Orca using a keypress in the GDM
> greeter.
> Something like:
>   gsettings set 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys' screenreader '<Primary>s'
>
> (or whatever keybinding we think is good enough) for the Debian-gdm user
> should work, but I'm not sure how to do that in a sane way. Joss?
>
> Note setting that key as the gdm3 user didn't make orca start when
> pressing control-s at the greeter. We need to look a big deeper into this,
> but I won't be able to do anything until after my exams.
>
> Jordi

Re: Improving the accessibility of our GNOME session

Josselin Mouette
Le jeudi 21 juin 2012 à 18:13 +0200, Jordi Mallach a écrit :
> Second, we need a way to activate Orca using a keypress in the GDM
> greeter.
> Something like:
>   gsettings set 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys' screenreader '<Primary>s'
>
> (or whatever keybinding we think is good enough) for the Debian-gdm user
> should work, but I'm not sure how to do that in a sane way. Joss?

Either add, like desktop-base, a new file
in /usr/share/gdm/dconf/10-orca-settings with the setting you want.

Or simply change debian/greeter.gsettings in the gdm3 package.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :