InVesalius new upstream version

Thiago Franco Moraes
Hi all,

I'm packaging the new InVesalius version (3.1.1). It seem to be all OK except for two things:

1. Lintian reclaims about wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog: it's because the changelog file in InVesalius is named changelog.md. I thought in add this error to the lintian-overrides file. Do you think it's a good idea? Or there is a better way to deal with this error?

2. I created a debian/source/options file with extend-diff-ignore option. During the package generation I'm moving the cython source files to another folder to compile them. This is causing errors with generation of diff file relative to the orig file. So I'm using the extend-diff-ignore to ignore these files. Am I doing it correctly?

Thanks!

Re: InVesalius new upstream version

Thiago Franco Moraes
I forgot to tell that all modifications are in the Debian-Med SVN.

I'm packaging the new InVesalius version (3.1.1). It seem to be all OK except for two things:

1. Lintian reclaims about wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog: it's because the changelog file in InVesalius is named changelog.md. I thought in add this error to the lintian-overrides file. Do you think it's a good idea? Or there is a better way to deal with this error?

2. I created a debian/source/options file with extend-diff-ignore option. During the package generation I'm moving the cython source files to another folder to compile them. This is causing errors with generation of diff file relative to the orig file. So I'm using the extend-diff-ignore to ignore these files. Am I doing it correctly?

Thanks!

Re: InVesalius new upstream version

Mattia Rizzolo-5
On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 10:35:40AM -0300, Thiago Franco de Moraes wrote:
> 1. Lintian reclaims about wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog: it's
> because the changelog file in InVesalius is named changelog.md. I
> thought in add this error to the lintian-overrides file. Do you think
> it's a good idea? Or there is a better way to deal with this error?

Please don't.  Please read the lintian tag's description, and the
related policy paragraph.  The upstream changelog should be installed
(compressed) as /usr/share/doc/pkg/changelog.gz, and
dh_installchangelogs it the tool you use to accomplish so.

> 2. I created a debian/source/options file with extend-diff-ignore
> option. During the package generation I'm moving the cython source
> files to another folder to compile them. This is causing errors with
> generation of diff file relative to the orig file.
> So I'm using the extend-diff-ignore to ignore these files. Am I doing
> it correctly?

That feels like something that is not as clean as it could be.  Also,
reading your description of what you are doing I believe your package
wouldn't build twice in a row (i.e. `dpkg-buildpackage &&
dpkg-buildpackage`), which is another bug.  I think what you want to do
instead is to *copy* those sources into a temporary directory that you
then remove with dh_clean.  That said, this feels like an upstream
thing, why do you need to copy/move files around before building them?
The clean target doesn't clean enough? etc etc.

Note: I haven't looked at the package at all.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

GPG Key: 66AE 2B4A FCCF 3F52 DA18  4D18 4B04 3FCD B944 4540      .''`.
more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :
Launchpad user: https://launchpad.net/~mapreri                  `. `'`
Debian QA page: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mattia  `-

Re: InVesalius new upstream version

Ghislain Vaillant
On 14/08/17 15:17, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:

>> 2. I created a debian/source/options file with extend-diff-ignore
>> option. During the package generation I'm moving the cython source
>> files to another folder to compile them. This is causing errors with
>> generation of diff file relative to the orig file.
>> So I'm using the extend-diff-ignore to ignore these files. Am I doing
>> it correctly?
>
> That feels like something that is not as clean as it could be.  Also,
> reading your description of what you are doing I believe your package
> wouldn't build twice in a row (i.e. `dpkg-buildpackage &&
> dpkg-buildpackage`), which is another bug.  I think what you want to do
> instead is to *copy* those sources into a temporary directory that you
> then remove with dh_clean.  That said, this feels like an upstream
> thing, why do you need to copy/move files around before building them?
> The clean target doesn't clean enough? etc etc.

Since Cythonized files can be regenerated, you can just filter them out
of the source tarball and run the build as usual. Their absence will not
trigger a diff error and the clean target should get rid of the
generated ones. That's in theory.

In practice, some upstream do ship the Cythonized files to avoid a
dependency on Cython at build time (fair enough) but do not provide an
appropriate clean command to get rid of them (not nice).

If that's your case, in addition to excluding the Cythonized files from
the tarball, you need to clean them manually either using an override
for the dh_auto_clean target or by listing their corresponding paths in
a debian/clean file (usually preferred).

You may also patch the build system and forward the clean command
upstream too (even better).

Ghis

Re: {Spam} Re: InVesalius new upstream version

Thiago Franco Moraes
Thanks Mattia Rizzolo!

I was using the debian/docs to include the changelog. Now I'm using the command dh_installchangelogs inside a override_dh_installchangelogs. I think it's Okay now.

You're correct. It was not building twice. I followed your advices and it's building twice and it seems more clean, now.

It seems to be lintian clean, now. All the modifications are in Debian-Med SVN.

best regards.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 02:38:01PM -0300, Thiago Franco de Moraes wrote:
> Thanks Mattia Rizzolo!

Hi,

Could it be that my email went to your spam?  I'd be interested in
avoiding it, please tell me if you have any information about why that
happened.

> It seems to be lintian clean, now. All the modifications are in Debian-Med SVN.

Cool, but be aware that if you're looking for a sponsor I'm not so
available these days, I'll hope you find somebody else for a more
throught review and sponsor.