Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Rick Thomas

Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?

I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...

Thanks!

Rick


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Robert Hodgins
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 13:57 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
>
> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>
> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...

Googling etch lenny upgrade gives ~143,000 hits.

This one is recent:
http://www.ducea.com/2008/12/08/howto-upgrade-from-debian-etch-to-lenny/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

lostson
In reply to this post by Rick Thomas
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:57:23 -0500
Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>
> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rick
>
>
 Simple go through your sources file and change etch to lenny. Then do
a apt-get update then run apt-get dist-upgrade
Worked like a charm for me.

 LostSon


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Sven Joachim
In reply to this post by Robert Hodgins
On 2008-12-17 20:14 +0100, Robert Hodgins wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 13:57 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>
>> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
>> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>>
>> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>
> Googling etch lenny upgrade gives ~143,000 hits.

It's not unlikely that Rick actually looked at some of these, and
probably a bad sign that nothing even close to an official upgrade guide
seems to exist yet. :-(

> This one is recent:
> http://www.ducea.com/2008/12/08/howto-upgrade-from-debian-etch-to-lenny/

Seems to be okay, if terse.  One caveat, though: it has been reported
several times (and I could reproduce it) that the "aptitude full-upgrade"
step will remove all the X.Org video drivers if you accept aptitude's
first suggestion, see http://bugs.debian.org/502285 for instance.
Therefore I recommend to let aptitude try different solutions until it
finds one that does not remove too many packages.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Hugo Vanwoerkom
In reply to this post by lostson
lostson wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:57:23 -0500
> Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
>> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>>
>> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Rick
>>
>>
>  Simple go through your sources file and change etch to lenny. Then do
> a apt-get update then run apt-get dist-upgrade
> Worked like a charm for me.

Why not just the dist-upgrade?

Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Ron Johnson
On 12/17/08 14:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> lostson wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:57:23 -0500
>> Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
>>> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>>>
>>> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Rick
>>>
>>>
>>  Simple go through your sources file and change etch to lenny. Then do
>> a apt-get update then run apt-get dist-upgrade
>> Worked like a charm for me.

No need to first manually upgrade Perl or apt?

> Why not just the dist-upgrade?

Because "update" tells apt about all the new packages.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

jackyf.devel (Bugzilla)
In reply to this post by Rick Thomas
Rick Thomas wrote:
> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-upgrade
> from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>
> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
Near-official recommended procedure follows:

1. change distribution in your sources.list to 'lenny' or 'testing' (latter works until
official Lenny release);
2. 'aptitude update'
3. 'aptitude install dpkg apt aptitude'
4. 'aptitude full-upgrade'

If something went bad, don't hesitate to do 'reportbug upgrade-reports'.

You also can use apt-get instead of aptitude, but aptitude is usually more clever than
apt-get.

Regards,
--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, JID: jackyf.devel(maildog)gmail.com
Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor


signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Johannes Wiedersich-3
In reply to this post by Ron Johnson
Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 12/17/08 14:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> lostson wrote:
>>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:57:23 -0500
>>> Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
>>>> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>>>>
>>>> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>  Simple go through your sources file and change etch to lenny. Then do
>>> a apt-get update then run apt-get dist-upgrade
>>> Worked like a charm for me.
>
> No need to first manually upgrade Perl or apt?

>From [1] (Oct 2008):
* If you are running stable (aka "Etch"), you could consider
  upgrading to "Lenny" and see, if everything works fine. Currently
  ther are no detailed release notes documenting the procedure, so you
  best way to test upgrades are to:

  1. Make backups
  2. Change your /etc/apt/sources.list
  3. Run aptitude update to get information about new packages
  4. Run 'aptitude install dpkg aptitude apt' to install the newest
     package management
  5. Run aptitude full-upgrade

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/10/msg00000.html

Cheers,
Johannes


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Hugo Vanwoerkom
In reply to this post by Ron Johnson
Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 12/17/08 14:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> lostson wrote:
>>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:57:23 -0500
>>> Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
>>>> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>>>>
>>>> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!
>>>>
>>>> Rick
>>>>
>>>>
>>>  Simple go through your sources file and change etch to lenny. Then do
>>> a apt-get update then run apt-get dist-upgrade
>>> Worked like a charm for me.
>
> No need to first manually upgrade Perl or apt?
>
>> Why not just the dist-upgrade?
>
> Because "update" tells apt about all the new packages.
>

Sorry :-( I misread "upgrade" for "update"...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Ron Johnson
On 12/18/08 10:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 12/17/08 14:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> lostson wrote:
>>>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:57:23 -0500
>>>> Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
>>>>> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>>>>>
>>>>> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>
>>>>> Rick
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>  Simple go through your sources file and change etch to lenny. Then do
>>>> a apt-get update then run apt-get dist-upgrade
>>>> Worked like a charm for me.
>>
>> No need to first manually upgrade Perl or apt?
>>
>>> Why not just the dist-upgrade?
>>
>> Because "update" tells apt about all the new packages.
>>
>
> Sorry :-( I misread "upgrade" for "update"...

I was kinda wondering why you asked such an elementary question.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

deloptes
Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 12/18/08 10:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> On 12/17/08 14:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>>> lostson wrote:
>>>>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:57:23 -0500
>>>>> Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
>>>>>> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Rick
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>  Simple go through your sources file and change etch to lenny. Then do
>>>>> a apt-get update then run apt-get dist-upgrade
>>>>> Worked like a charm for me.
>>>
>>> No need to first manually upgrade Perl or apt?
>>>
>>>> Why not just the dist-upgrade?
>>>
>>> Because "update" tells apt about all the new packages.
>>>
>>
>> Sorry :-( I misread "upgrade" for "update"...
>
> I was kinda wondering why you asked such an elementary question.
>

I am wondering why you are wondering :-)

I'm asking my self how to migrate from sarge to lenny?
Is it more complicated question, that deserves attention?
I was also thinking to ask here, but then ... I decided not because it's
elementary ... still asking is good approach for exchanging experience.
Isn't it?

I was thinking to make a copy of the system and try system upgrade
(apt-get ...), test and see what happens. This is preferred because it's a
server. If it does not work, I would install and migrate the services,
which makes also sense, because I can document some things in parallel. The
second approach is still more time consuming.

regards


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Ron Johnson
On 12/18/08 12:20, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 12/18/08 10:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>>> On 12/17/08 14:27, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>>>> lostson wrote:
>>>>>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:57:23 -0500
>>>>>> Rick Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
>>>>>>> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Rick
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>  Simple go through your sources file and change etch to lenny. Then do
>>>>>> a apt-get update then run apt-get dist-upgrade
>>>>>> Worked like a charm for me.
>>>> No need to first manually upgrade Perl or apt?
>>>>
>>>>> Why not just the dist-upgrade?
>>>> Because "update" tells apt about all the new packages.
>>>>
>>> Sorry :-( I misread "upgrade" for "update"...
>> I was kinda wondering why you asked such an elementary question.
>>
>
> I am wondering why you are wondering :-)

Because he's been on this list for a long time, andshould know better.

> I'm asking my self how to migrate from sarge to lenny?

Migrate first to Etch!!!

> Is it more complicated question, that deserves attention?
> I was also thinking to ask here, but then ... I decided not because it's
> elementary ... still asking is good approach for exchanging experience.
> Isn't it?

There are some questions that only a newbie should ask.

There are some questions that should only be asked after Googling,
because they've probably been asked before.

> I was thinking to make a copy of the system and try system upgrade
> (apt-get ...), test and see what happens. This is preferred because it's a
> server. If it does not work, I would install and migrate the services,
> which makes also sense, because I can document some things in parallel. The
> second approach is still more time consuming.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

deloptes
Ron Johnson wrote:

>
>> I'm asking my self how to migrate from sarge to lenny?
>
> Migrate first to Etch!!!

this was a good advice, thanks a lot!

>
>> Is it more complicated question, that deserves attention?
>> I was also thinking to ask here, but then ... I decided not because it's
>> elementary ... still asking is good approach for exchanging experience.
>> Isn't it?
>
> There are some questions that only a newbie should ask.

I'm may be newbie here and experienced there ... it's hard to say, but agree
in general.

>
> There are some questions that should only be asked after Googling,
> because they've probably been asked before.

yes, you are correct, I would like to ask google or what ever and that it
could answer like you did ... I don't have an impression it's working this
way though

regards



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Ron Johnson
On 12/18/08 13:01, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]
>
>> There are some questions that should only be asked after Googling,
>> because they've probably been asked before.
>
> yes, you are correct, I would like to ask google or what ever and that it
> could answer like you did ... I don't have an impression it's working this
> way though

????

I wonder if language difficulties are causing something important to
get lost in translation.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.-3
In reply to this post by Ron Johnson
On Thursday 2008 December 18 12:39:20 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 12/18/08 12:20, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> > I'm asking my self how to migrate from sarge to lenny?
>
> Migrate first to Etch!!!

Terse, but very correct.

At some point in the distant past, there were instructions in the release
notes for upgrading from Debian releases other than the prior release.

Now, it's not supported.  You'll have to walk your box(es) up one release at a
time.  It's probably a good idea to have some time-gap between each
dist-upgrade to make sure you've caught all the issues.

Trying to do Sarge -> Lenny would be particularly counter-recommended.  Sarge
is Debian 3.1 (IIRC); Lenny is Debian 5.0.  Two "major" version upgrades
rolled into one is a recipe for pain.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[hidden email]                     ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy           `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/                      \_/    

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Robert Hodgins

> At some point in the distant past, there were instructions in the release
> notes for upgrading from Debian releases other than the prior release.

The release notes for Etch are here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

deloptes
Robert Hodgins wrote:

>
>> At some point in the distant past, there were instructions in the release
>> notes for upgrading from Debian releases other than the prior release.
>
> The release notes for Etch are here:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes

thanks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Rick Thomas
In reply to this post by Sven Joachim

Thanks! for all the very helpful replies.



On Dec 17, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2008-12-17 20:14 +0100, Robert Hodgins wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 13:57 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
>>> upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>>>
>>> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
>>
>> Googling etch lenny upgrade gives ~143,000 hits.
>
> It's not unlikely that Rick actually looked at some of these, and
> probably a bad sign that nothing even close to an official upgrade  
> guide
> seems to exist yet. :-(

That about sums it up.

>> This one is recent:
>> http://www.ducea.com/2008/12/08/howto-upgrade-from-debian-etch-to- 
>> lenny/

I followed that and got an acceptable result.

> Seems to be okay, if terse.  One caveat, though: it has been reported
> several times (and I could reproduce it) that the "aptitude full-
> upgrade"
> step will remove all the X.Org video drivers if you accept aptitude's
> first suggestion, see http://bugs.debian.org/502285 for instance.
> Therefore I recommend to let aptitude try different solutions until it
> finds one that does not remove too many packages.
>
> Sven

I tried it on one of my "throw-away" test systems.

I didn't encounter any problems with X.org stuff.  It deleted a few  
things that don't seem to have any counterparts in Lenny -  
specifically "libsasl2", "libssp0", and "libvte4".  I guess that's  
normal?

It also deleted "synaptic", "update-manager", and "update-notifier".  
Which seems odd.  I don't use (or like) synaptic (I prefer aptitude,  
usually in cli mode) so I'm not worried by it as long as they aren't  
necessary for the correct functioning of the system.

Anyway... That's my experience.

Next -- I'll try it on a production system (after a full backup!)


Rick


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Daniel Burrows
In reply to this post by Sven Joachim
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:45:50PM +0100, Sven Joachim <[hidden email]> was heard to say:

> On 2008-12-17 20:14 +0100, Robert Hodgins wrote:
> > This one is recent:
> > http://www.ducea.com/2008/12/08/howto-upgrade-from-debian-etch-to-lenny/
>
> Seems to be okay, if terse.  One caveat, though: it has been reported
> several times (and I could reproduce it) that the "aptitude full-upgrade"
> step will remove all the X.Org video drivers if you accept aptitude's
> first suggestion, see http://bugs.debian.org/502285 for instance.
> Therefore I recommend to let aptitude try different solutions until it
> finds one that does not remove too many packages.

  Hm, it might be easier to type "r ~n^xserver-xorg-video-.* UNINST" at
the resolver prompt first, to skip over all those solutions at once.
(that reminds me, I should finish up the implementation of command-line /
sticky resolver hints in the squeeze branch... maybe something to do over
xmas...)

  Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Sven Joachim
In reply to this post by Rick Thomas
On 2008-12-19 01:25 +0100, Rick Thomas wrote:

> I didn't encounter any problems with X.org stuff.  It deleted a few
> things that don't seem to have any counterparts in Lenny -  
> specifically "libsasl2", "libssp0", and "libvte4".  I guess that's
> normal?

Yes, removing obsolete packages is fine.

> It also deleted "synaptic", "update-manager", and "update-notifier".
> Which seems odd.  I don't use (or like) synaptic (I prefer aptitude,
> usually in cli mode) so I'm not worried by it as long as they aren't
> necessary for the correct functioning of the system.

This happened because the etch versions of these packages are not
compatible with the new apt, and apt or aptitude seems to be too dumb to
see that these packages should be upgraded rather than removed when you
type "aptitude install aptitude".  See http://bugs.debian.org/bug=502284.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

12