Integration of the DFB backend into current GTK+ 2.8.17 sources

Integration of the DFB backend into current GTK+ 2.8.17 sources

Attilio Fiandrotti-2
Hi all

I'm writing to you just to know if the patch i wrote [1] to add a DFB
backend to GTK+ 2.8.17 is appliable to current debian 2.8.17 GTK+ sources.

friendly

Attilio

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2006/05/msg00064.html

Re: Integration of the DFB backend into current GTK+ 2.8.17 sources

Josselin Mouette
Le vendredi 26 mai 2006 à 10:01 +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> I'm writing to you just to know if the patch i wrote [1] to add a DFB
> backend to GTK+ 2.8.17 is appliable to current debian 2.8.17 GTK+ sources.

Sorry for not answering earlier, but I've been exhausted these days. I
hope I'll have a chance to look into it this weekend, and will tell you
more about it.

I support this patch requires newer directfb and cairo packages, are
these packages available somewhere?
--
 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le vendredi 26 mai 2006 à 10:01 +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti a écrit :
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I'm writing to you just to know if the patch i wrote [1] to add a DFB
>>backend to GTK+ 2.8.17 is appliable to current debian 2.8.17 GTK+ sources.
>

> Sorry for not answering earlier, but I've been exhausted these days. I
> hope I'll have a chance to look into it this weekend, and will tell you
> more about it.

ah, ok, no problem: i was just worrying you and sebastien missed my post
on debian-gtk-gnome as i did not cc'ed you.

> I support this patch requires newer directfb and cairo packages, are
> these packages available somewhere?

DirectFB 0.9.24 is already packaged as binary udeb, reular deb and
development dev packaged.
Right now, cairo is the real problem: currently its official maintainer,
dave beckett is busy and i doubt he'll be able to provide us a binary
deb compiled against DFB 0.9.24.
Historycally, the g-i has used a different package provided by frans
pop, but i can provide you support in CairoDFB building and a wiki page
[1] that explains the building process of GTKDFB libraries (and related
stack of libraries GTK depends from) is available.
I'll mail dave beckett explaining him what we need.

ciao

Attilio

Re: Integration of the DFB backend into current GTK+ 2.8.17 sources

Attilio Fiandrotti-2
Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
<snip/>

> Historycally, the g-i has used a different package provided by frans
> pop, but i can provide you support in CairoDFB building and a wiki page
> [1] that explains the building process of GTKDFB libraries (and related
> stack of libraries GTK depends from) is available.

whoops, the page is

http://www.directfb.org/wiki/index.php/Projects:GTK_on_DirectFB

and i just updated it yesterday to build latest sources from CVS, i hope
i'll be able to update the 2.8.10 section to 2.8.17 today

Attilio

Re: Integration of the DFB backend into current GTK+ 2.8.17 sources

Eddy Petrișor
On 5/26/06, Attilio Fiandrotti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > I support this patch requires newer directfb and cairo packages, are
> > these packages available somewhere?
>
> DirectFB 0.9.24 is already packaged as binary udeb, reular deb and
> development dev packaged.
> Right now, cairo is the real problem: currently its official maintainer,
> dave beckett is busy and i doubt he'll be able to provide us a binary
> deb compiled against DFB 0.9.24.

Is this case fit for a binnmu for cairo? does it only need to be built
against the new DFB, or does it need some updates?

EddyP

Re: Integration of the DFB backend into current GTK+ 2.8.17 sources

Sven Luther
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:16:53PM +0300, Eddy Petrişor wrote:

> On 5/26/06, Attilio Fiandrotti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >> I support this patch requires newer directfb and cairo packages, are
> >> these packages available somewhere?
> >
> >DirectFB 0.9.24 is already packaged as binary udeb, reular deb and
> >development dev packaged.
> >Right now, cairo is the real problem: currently its official maintainer,
> >dave beckett is busy and i doubt he'll be able to provide us a binary
> >deb compiled against DFB 0.9.24.
>
> Is this case fit for a binnmu for cairo? does it only need to be built
> against the new DFB, or does it need some updates?

I have not looked, but my guess is that it needs some modifications to produce
the DFB-friendly packages. Unless cairo can be built with the dfb support and
still work for the other targets ?

friendly,

Sven Luther

Sven Luther wrote:

> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:16:53PM +0300, Eddy Petrişor wrote:

>>>DirectFB 0.9.24 is already packaged as binary udeb, reular deb and
>>>development dev packaged.
>>>Right now, cairo is the real problem: currently its official maintainer,
>>>dave beckett is busy and i doubt he'll be able to provide us a binary
>>>deb compiled against DFB 0.9.24.
>>
>>Is this case fit for a binnmu for cairo? does it only need to be built
>>against the new DFB, or does it need some updates?
>

> I have not looked, but my guess is that it needs some modifications to produce
> the DFB-friendly packages. Unless cairo can be built with the dfb support and
> still work for the other targets ?

i just mailed dave beckett, maintainer of libcairo2, to ask him if he
can provide us a DFB version of this libray.

Attilio

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:58:00PM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

> Sven Luther wrote:

> >>Is this case fit for a binnmu for cairo? does it only need to be built
> >>against the new DFB, or does it need some updates?
> >

> >I have not looked, but my guess is that it needs some modifications to
> >produce
> >the DFB-friendly packages. Unless cairo can be built with the dfb support
> >and
> >still work for the other targets ?
>
> i just mailed dave beckett, maintainer of libcairo2, to ask him if he
> can provide us a DFB version of this libray.

Would the right thing not be to file a bug report, so that it can serve as
base to track this issue ? And maybe someone can append a patch later on or
something ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Re: Integration of the DFB backend into current GTK+ 2.8.17 sources

Sven Luther
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:58:00PM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

> Sven Luther wrote:

> >>Is this case fit for a binnmu for cairo? does it only need to be built
> >>against the new DFB, or does it need some updates?
> >

> >I have not looked, but my guess is that it needs some modifications to
> >produce
> >the DFB-friendly packages. Unless cairo can be built with the dfb support
> >and
> >still work for the other targets ?
>
> i just mailed dave beckett, maintainer of libcairo2, to ask him if he
> can provide us a DFB version of this libray.

Current version of libcairo2 in unstable is 1.0.4, but the gtk-dfb pahge you
mentioned says :

  Next, get cairo >= 1.1.6 from and build it with the DFB backend enabled:

And indeed, i didn't find any DFB related stuff in the current cairo version
in unstable.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Sven Luther wrote:

> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:58:00PM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
>
>>Sven Luther wrote:

>>>I have not looked, but my guess is that it needs some modifications to
>>>produce
>>>the DFB-friendly packages. Unless cairo can be built with the dfb support
>>>and
>>>still work for the other targets ?
>>
>>i just mailed dave beckett, maintainer of libcairo2, to ask him if he
>>can provide us a DFB version of this libray.
>

> Current version of libcairo2 in unstable is 1.0.4, but the gtk-dfb pahge you
> mentioned says :
>
>   Next, get cairo >= 1.1.6 from and build it with the DFB backend enabled:
>
> And indeed, i didn't find any DFB related stuff in the current cairo version
> in unstable.

You're right: GTK 2.8.17 requires only cairo >= 0.9.2, but DFB backend
became officially part of cairo starting from version 1.1.2 (first
official release of 1.1.x series).
The only reasonable option i see to updating official cairo to >= 1.1.2
in unstable is maintaining custom 1.1.6 source package with DFB backed
enabled, until cairo 1.1.x enters unstable.

Attilio

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 03:50:31AM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> You're right: GTK 2.8.17 requires only cairo >= 0.9.2, but DFB backend
> became officially part of cairo starting from version 1.1.2 (first
> official release of 1.1.x series).
> The only reasonable option i see to updating official cairo to >= 1.1.2
> in unstable is maintaining custom 1.1.6 source package with DFB backed
> enabled, until cairo 1.1.x enters unstable.

I read the cairo changelog yesterday, and i couldn't see any risk of
instability, only more stabilty, but i am no expert. Do we have feedback from
the cairo maintainer on this, or from the gnome people ? Mike, do you have an
opinion on cairoa 1.0.4 vs cairo 1.1.x ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Re: Integration of the DFB backend into current GTK+ 2.8.17 sources

Dave Beckett-2
Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

> Sven Luther wrote:

>>> i just mailed dave beckett, maintainer of libcairo2, to ask him if he
>>> can provide us a DFB version of this libray.
>>

>> Current version of libcairo2 in unstable is 1.0.4, but the gtk-dfb
>> pahge you
>> mentioned says :
>>
>>   Next, get cairo >= 1.1.6 from and build it with the DFB backend
>> enabled:
>>
>> And indeed, i didn't find any DFB related stuff in the current cairo
>> version
>> in unstable.
>
> You're right: GTK 2.8.17 requires only cairo >= 0.9.2, but DFB backend
> became officially part of cairo starting from version 1.1.2 (first
> official release of 1.1.x series).

Yes it's in the official (development) releases 1.1.x but remains
unsupported/experimental.  The next 1.2.0 stable release will include it,
but it will remain unsupported; it might not even be updated for recent
Cairo git changes.

> The only reasonable option i see to updating official cairo to >= 1.1.2
> in unstable is maintaining custom 1.1.6 source package with DFB backed
> enabled, until cairo 1.1.x enters unstable.

I'm away from my debian boxes for a few more days but I have been intending
to package cairo 1.1.x in debian's experimental with the cairo udeb,
preparing for the long-delayed cairo 1.2.0.

Dave

Sven Luther wrote:

> On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 03:50:31AM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
>> You're right: GTK 2.8.17 requires only cairo >= 0.9.2, but DFB backend
>> became officially part of cairo starting from version 1.1.2 (first
>> official release of 1.1.x series).
>> The only reasonable option i see to updating official cairo to >= 1.1.2
>> in unstable is maintaining custom 1.1.6 source package with DFB backed
>> enabled, until cairo 1.1.x enters unstable.
>
> I read the cairo changelog yesterday, and i couldn't see any risk of
> instability, only more stabilty, but i am no expert. Do we have feedback from
> the cairo maintainer on this, or from the gnome people ? Mike, do you have an
> opinion on cairoa 1.0.4 vs cairo 1.1.x ?

As the cairo maintainer...  the state of 1.1.x in git is pretty good, but
1.2.0 is a major release which should be the one in etch.  It'll be needed
for other major packages such as firefox2 (later) and I guess other rdepends
such as gtk, mono and gcj/classpath will update to use the new APIs there
sometime.

So for now, I'd package an experimental 1.1.x and later an 1.2.0 in unstable.

Dave

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 11:34:49PM +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:
> Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> > You're right: GTK 2.8.17 requires only cairo >= 0.9.2, but DFB backend
> > became officially part of cairo starting from version 1.1.2 (first
> > official release of 1.1.x series).
>
> Yes it's in the official (development) releases 1.1.x but remains
> unsupported/experimental.  The next 1.2.0 stable release will include it,
> but it will remain unsupported; it might not even be updated for recent
> Cairo git changes.

We will have to live with that, i guess.

> > The only reasonable option i see to updating official cairo to >= 1.1.2
> > in unstable is maintaining custom 1.1.6 source package with DFB backed
> > enabled, until cairo 1.1.x enters unstable.
>
> I'm away from my debian boxes for a few more days but I have been intending
> to package cairo 1.1.x in debian's experimental with the cairo udeb,
> preparing for the long-delayed cairo 1.2.0.

So, the question is, do you believe that cairo 1.2.0 is etch material or not ?

And would you be willing to maintain (or co-maintain) a version of cairo 1.1.x
which only produces the directfb backend, including a .udeb, as well as a .deb
and a -dev .deb ?

This is what g-i needs to move on to 2.8 gtk-dfb.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 11:40:07PM +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:

> Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 03:50:31AM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> >> You're right: GTK 2.8.17 requires only cairo >= 0.9.2, but DFB backend
> >> became officially part of cairo starting from version 1.1.2 (first
> >> official release of 1.1.x series).
> >> The only reasonable option i see to updating official cairo to >= 1.1.2
> >> in unstable is maintaining custom 1.1.6 source package with DFB backed
> >> enabled, until cairo 1.1.x enters unstable.
> >
> > I read the cairo changelog yesterday, and i couldn't see any risk of
> > instability, only more stabilty, but i am no expert. Do we have feedback from
> > the cairo maintainer on this, or from the gnome people ? Mike, do you have an
> > opinion on cairoa 1.0.4 vs cairo 1.1.x ?
>
> As the cairo maintainer...  the state of 1.1.x in git is pretty good, but
> 1.2.0 is a major release which should be the one in etch.  It'll be needed

Ok, this respond to one of the questions in my other mail. 1.2.0 should be in
etch.

> for other major packages such as firefox2 (later) and I guess other rdepends
> such as gtk, mono and gcj/classpath will update to use the new APIs there
> sometime.
>
> So for now, I'd package an experimental 1.1.x and later an 1.2.0 in unstable.

Well, if we are gonna go with gtk-dfb 2.8 (much preferable over the current
situation which uses gtk 2.0), we need a 1.1.x version of cairo, using only
the directfb backend in unstable/testing, at least until 1.2.0 can enter
unstable/testing.

I guess we could help you maintain such a package if you feel it is too much
work for you or something such.

Thanks for your answers,

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le vendredi 26 mai 2006 à 10:01 +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti a écrit :
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I'm writing to you just to know if the patch i wrote [1] to add a DFB
>>backend to GTK+ 2.8.17 is appliable to current debian 2.8.17 GTK+ sources.
>

> Sorry for not answering earlier, but I've been exhausted these days. I
> hope I'll have a chance to look into it this weekend, and will tell you
> more about it.
>
> I support this patch requires newer directfb and cairo packages, are
> these packages available somewhere?

hi

i've just updated the section [1] of DirectFB wiki about how to build
2.8.x GTK+ with DFB backend (updated to GTK+ 2.8.17).
Please, tell me if the howto is clear enough.

friendly

Attilio

[1]
http://www.directfb.org/wiki/index.php/Projects:GTK_on_DirectFB#2.8.17_Version

Le dimanche 04 juin 2006 à 21:54 +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti a écrit :
> i've just updated the section [1] of DirectFB wiki about how to build
> 2.8.x GTK+ with DFB backend (updated to GTK+ 2.8.17).
> Please, tell me if the howto is clear enough.

I think this is clear, yes. The only thing needed anyway is the patch. I
will try to build DFB-enabled GTK+ packages if cairo 1.1.x packages are
made ready.

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le dimanche 04 juin 2006 à 21:54 +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti a écrit :
>
>>i've just updated the section [1] of DirectFB wiki about how to build
>>2.8.x GTK+ with DFB backend (updated to GTK+ 2.8.17).
>>Please, tell me if the howto is clear enough.
>

> I think this is clear, yes. The only thing needed anyway is the patch. I
> will try to build DFB-enabled GTK+ packages if cairo 1.1.x packages are
> made ready.

i hope cairo maintainer will be able to build a newer cairodfb -dev
package very soon; menwhile, if you need it, i can provide you
precompiled cairodfb libraries.

friandly

Attilio

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Le dimanche 04 juin 2006 à 21:54 +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti a écrit :
>
>>i've just updated the section [1] of DirectFB wiki about how to build
>>2.8.x GTK+ with DFB backend (updated to GTK+ 2.8.17).
>>Please, tell me if the howto is clear enough.
>

> I think this is clear, yes. The only thing needed anyway is the patch. I
> will try to build DFB-enabled GTK+ packages if cairo 1.1.x packages are
> made ready.

Dave beckett has just provided cairo 1.1.6 udebs [1] but they need testing

friendly

Attilio

[1] http://download.dajobe.org/debian/experimental/