Interpreting package version number

Richard Owlett-3
I'm running Stretch and have just installed Tcl from repository.
Synaptic reports the installed version is 8.6.6+dfsg-1+b1 .
The current upstream version is 8.6.9 .

I don't understand what "+dfsg-1+b1" is telling me.
Where is that numbering scheme described?

My goal is to understand (from upstream docs) how what I have installed
differs from the current upstream version.

TIA

Re: Interpreting package version number

Georgi Naplatanov
On 1/16/19 1:22 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm running Stretch and have just installed Tcl from repository.
> Synaptic reports the installed version is 8.6.6+dfsg-1+b1 .
> The current upstream version is 8.6.9 .
>
> I don't understand what "+dfsg-1+b1" is telling me.
> Where is that numbering scheme described?

Hi,

I don't know what "dfsg" is but "b" means BinNMU - Binary Non-Maintainer
Upload. This usually means that the package is recompiled because of
changed version of dependency(es).

HTH

Kind regards
Georgi

Re: Interpreting package version number

Curt
On 2019-01-16, Georgi Naplatanov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/16/19 1:22 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm running Stretch and have just installed Tcl from repository.
>> Synaptic reports the installed version is 8.6.6+dfsg-1+b1 .
>> The current upstream version is 8.6.9 .
>>
>> I don't understand what "+dfsg-1+b1" is telling me.
>> Where is that numbering scheme described?
>>

> Hi,
>
> I don't know what "dfsg" is but "b" means BinNMU - Binary Non-Maintainer
> Upload. This usually means that the package is recompiled because of
> changed version of dependency(es).

 “+dfsg.N” and “+ds.N“ are a conventional way of extending a version string,
 when the Debian package's upstream source tarball is actually different from
 the source released upstream. The former is used when upstream's source release
 contains elements that do not satisfy the Debian Free Software Guildelines
 (DFSG) and hence may not be distributed as source in the Debian system, the
 latter (standing for “Debian Source”) is used when the modification are for
 other non-DFSG reasons.

 The changes should be documented in README.source.

(searched, found, cut, and pasted by yours truly)

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#What_does_.2BIBw-dfsg.2BIB0_or_.2BIBw-ds.2BIB0_in_the_version_string_mean.3F

On 01/16/2019 06:37 AM, Curt wrote:

> On 2019-01-16, Georgi Naplatanov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 1/16/19 1:22 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> I'm running Stretch and have just installed Tcl from repository.
>>> Synaptic reports the installed version is 8.6.6+dfsg-1+b1 .
>>> The current upstream version is 8.6.9 .
>>>
>>> I don't understand what "+dfsg-1+b1" is telling me.
>>> Where is that numbering scheme described?
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't know what "dfsg" is but "b" means BinNMU - Binary Non-Maintainer
>> Upload. This usually means that the package is recompiled because of
>> changed version of dependency(es).
>
>   “+dfsg.N” and “+ds.N“ are a conventional way of extending a version string,
>   when the Debian package's upstream source tarball is actually different from
>   the source released upstream. The former is used when upstream's source release
>   contains elements that do not satisfy the Debian Free Software Guildelines
>   (DFSG) and hence may not be distributed as source in the Debian system, the
>   latter (standing for “Debian Source”) is used when the modification are for
>   other non-DFSG reasons.
>
>   The changes should be documented in README.source.
>
> (searched, found, cut, and pasted by yours truly)
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#What_does_.2BIBw-dfsg.2BIB0_or_.2BIBw-ds.2BIB0_in_the_version_string_mean.3F

Thank you. I've bookmarked that page as it gives a non-developer an idea
of a developer's world view.

Re: Interpreting package version number

Cindy Sue Causey
On 1/16/19, Curt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-01-16, Georgi Naplatanov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what "dfsg" is but "b" means BinNMU - Binary Non-Maintainer
>> Upload. This usually means that the package is recompiled because of
>> changed version of dependency(es).
>
>  “+dfsg.N” and “+ds.N“ are a conventional way of extending a version
> string,
>  when the Debian package's upstream source tarball is actually different
> from
>  the source released upstream. The former is used when upstream's source
> release
>  contains elements that do not satisfy the Debian Free Software Guildelines
>  (DFSG) and hence may not be distributed as source in the Debian system,
> the
>  latter (standing for “Debian Source”) is used when the modification are
> for
>  other non-DFSG reasons.
>
>  The changes should be documented in README.source.
>
> (searched, found, cut, and pasted by yours truly)
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#What_does_.2BIBw-dfsg.2BIB0_or_.2BIBw-ds.2BIB0_in_the_version_string_mean.3F

You beat me to the punchline! I just finished email archiving a couple
Debian-Mentors responses by Paul Wise [0] and Mo Zhou [1] so that
angle for a potential right answer was fresh in mind. They helped land
that same Wiki page.

Am still posting Paul and Mo even though the answer has been given for
this thread. Those latest Mentor responses might contain interesting
information for others, even if you don't ever pursue the Developer
route. It's nice to know what's going on under the hood. :)

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2019/01/msg00145.html

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2019/01/msg00150.html

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *

Re: Interpreting package version number

songbird
Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm running Stretch and have just installed Tcl from repository.
> Synaptic reports the installed version is 8.6.6+dfsg-1+b1 .
> The current upstream version is 8.6.9 .
>
> I don't understand what "+dfsg-1+b1" is telling me.
> Where is that numbering scheme described?
>
> My goal is to understand (from upstream docs) how what I have installed
> differs from the current upstream version.

  if you want to know what is different in any
debian package you can download the source code
package and look at the patches it applies.

  songbird

On 01/16/2019 07:58 AM, songbird wrote:

> Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> I'm running Stretch and have just installed Tcl from repository.
>> Synaptic reports the installed version is 8.6.6+dfsg-1+b1 .
>> The current upstream version is 8.6.9 .
>>
>> I don't understand what "+dfsg-1+b1" is telling me.
>> Where is that numbering scheme described?
>>
>> My goal is to understand (from upstream docs) how what I have installed
>> differs from the current upstream version.
>
>    if you want to know what is different in any
> debian package you can download the source code
> package and look at the patches it applies.

IIUC "dfsg" tells me that Debian chose a different means to the same
functional end (User's POV) than how upstream accomplished it.

Re: Interpreting package version number

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 08:51:27AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 01/16/2019 07:58 AM, songbird wrote:
> > Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running Stretch and have just installed Tcl from repository.
> > > Synaptic reports the installed version is 8.6.6+dfsg-1+b1 .
> > > The current upstream version is 8.6.9 .
> > >
> > > I don't understand what "+dfsg-1+b1" is telling me.
> > > Where is that numbering scheme described?
> > >
> > > My goal is to understand (from upstream docs) how what I have installed
> > > differs from the current upstream version.
> >
> >    if you want to know what is different in any
> > debian package you can download the source code
> > package and look at the patches it applies.
> >

> IIUC "dfsg" tells me that Debian chose a different means to the same
> functional end (User's POV) than how upstream accomplished it.

Sort of.  The reason for a "dfsg" repack of the upstream source is
usually to remove some components that may not be permitted to
distribute.  These might include binary blobs which cannot be generated
from source, non-free documentation (some protocol libraries include
copies of the RFCs they implement and those RFCs are sometimes not
freely redistributable).

I have yet to encounter a "dfsg" repack that changes the functionality
of the package, though.  So, in that regard your statement is correct.

Regards,

-Roberto

Roberto C. Sánchez

On 01/16/2019 09:46 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> I have yet to encounter a "dfsg" repack that changes the functionality
> of the package, though.  So, in that regard your statement is correct.

Good. Makes life simpler. Thanks.

Re: Interpreting package version number

David Wright-3
On Wed 16 Jan 2019 at 10:46:58 (-0500), Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 08:51:27AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> > >    if you want to know what is different in any
> > > debian package you can download the source code
> > > package and look at the patches it applies.
> > >

> > IIUC "dfsg" tells me that Debian chose a different means to the same
> > functional end (User's POV) than how upstream accomplished it.
> >
> Sort of.  The reason for a "dfsg" repack of the upstream source is
> usually to remove some components that may not be permitted to
> distribute.  These might include binary blobs which cannot be generated
> from source, non-free documentation (some protocol libraries include
> copies of the RFCs they implement and those RFCs are sometimes not
> freely redistributable).
>
> I have yet to encounter a "dfsg" repack that changes the functionality
> of the package, though.  So, in that regard your statement is correct.

Well, it can involve spinning out some of the functionality to a
different package, as has been done with p7zip-rar for example.

Cheers,
David.

Re: Interpreting package version number

Reco
        Hi.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:46:58AM -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 08:51:27AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> > >    if you want to know what is different in any
> > > debian package you can download the source code
> > > package and look at the patches it applies.
> > >

> > IIUC "dfsg" tells me that Debian chose a different means to the same
> > functional end (User's POV) than how upstream accomplished it.
> >
> Sort of.  The reason for a "dfsg" repack of the upstream source is
> usually to remove some components that may not be permitted to
> distribute.  These might include binary blobs which cannot be generated
> from source, non-free documentation (some protocol libraries include
> copies of the RFCs they implement and those RFCs are sometimes not
> freely redistributable).
>
> I have yet to encounter a "dfsg" repack that changes the functionality
> of the package, though.

dfsg repack of snmpd, for instance. Running the thing without upstream
MiBs is a pain. Yes, they provide a way to get those MiBs, but still.

Reco