Intro and Seeking Sponsor

swiftgist

Re: Intro and Seeking Sponsor

Daniele Nicolodi
On 25-06-2019 08:40, [hidden email] wrote:
>   I have written a simple command line utility in Rust that I hope may be
> useful to others.  The repo is https://github.com/swiftgist/diskspace.  I
> am releasing a minimal debian package currently and need a sponsor.

Hello Eric,

I may be missing something, but what does you utility do that is not
handled by 'du -h | sort -h | tail -n 20' ?

One of the criteria for software to enter Debian is it being generally
useful and balance the added functionality with the inevitable resources
that will be required to keep a package in the archive.  In this case,
unless I am missing something, your utility does not offer any function
that cannot be readily obtained combining standard utilities already in
Debian.  This is also a balance in discoverability: anyone familiar with
an Unix command line would find the above solution more quickly reading
the relevant man pages, than searching the archive for a package doing
the same.  Additionally, because of the flat hierarchy of the binaries
in $PATH, I think that any command line utility with a two characters
name is very likely to incur in a name collision.

Cheers,
Dan

Re: Intro and Seeking Sponsor

Geert Stappers-2
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 03:46:41PM -0600, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:

> On 25-06-2019 08:40, [hidden email] wrote:
> }
> } Hello,
> }   I would like to learn how to properly submit and maintain a package for
> } Debian.  While I have been using/supporting/developing on Linux for more
> } than a couple decades, this experience has been on rpm based systems.
> }
> >   I have written a simple command line utility in Rust that I hope may be
> > useful to others.  The repo is https://github.com/swiftgist/diskspace.  I
> > am releasing a minimal debian package currently and need a sponsor.
> }
> }   While I have been reading the Debian Developer's Reference and archives
> } of the debian-mentors list, please direct me to anything that would be
> } useful.  Thanks for your time.
> }
>
> Hello Eric,

Hello All,

> I may be missing something, but what does you utility do that is not
> handled by 'du -h | sort -h | tail -n 20' ?

Please do  `apt show ncdu`   ( NC as in ncurses, but pronounce as "nice"
and DU is indeed Disk Usage )

> One of the criteria for software to enter Debian is it being generally
> useful and balance the added functionality with the inevitable resources
> that will be required to keep a package in the archive.  In this case,
> unless I am missing something, your utility does not offer any function
> that cannot be readily obtained combining standard utilities already in
> Debian.  This is also a balance in discoverability: anyone familiar with
> an Unix command line would find the above solution more quickly reading
> the relevant man pages, than searching the archive for a package doing
> the same.  Additionally, because of the flat hierarchy of the binaries
> in $PATH, I think that any command line utility with a two characters
> name is very likely to incur in a name collision.
That is mostly true but it mismatches
 Subject: Intro and Seeking Sponsor

Doing now what I could / should have done last night when I saw
the original message

Welcome

Your introduction message has been seen.

I do hope that you will find your way
and that you do come with many good questions.

For now some general advice
* be owner (main stake holder) of what you deam important
* join the Debian rustlang team[1]
* file a  RFS bugreport
* your mom[2] is not in Debian, your new friends are

Groeten
Geert Stappers
DD

Footnotes
[1] I don't know if it exists and how active it is
[2] The person who took care of your problems when EVERTHING was new
--
Leven en laten leven

On 25/06/2019 23:58, Geert Stappers wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 03:46:41PM -0600, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
>> One of the criteria for software to enter Debian is it being generally
>> useful and balance the added functionality with the inevitable resources
>> that will be required to keep a package in the archive.  In this case,
>> unless I am missing something, your utility does not offer any function
>> that cannot be readily obtained combining standard utilities already in
>> Debian.  This is also a balance in discoverability: anyone familiar with
>> an Unix command line would find the above solution more quickly reading
>> the relevant man pages, than searching the archive for a package doing
>> the same.  Additionally, because of the flat hierarchy of the binaries
>> in $PATH, I think that any command line utility with a two characters
>> name is very likely to incur in a name collision.
>
> That is mostly true but it mismatches
>  Subject: Intro and Seeking Sponsor

How is what I wrote not relevant for a request for sponsor?

Cheers,
Dan

Re: Intro and Seeking Sponsor

Albert van der Horst
Geert Stappers schreef op 2019-06-26 07:58:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 03:46:41PM -0600, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
>> On 25-06-2019 08:40, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>

>> I may be missing something, but what does you utility do that is not
>> handled by 'du -h | sort -h | tail -n 20' ?
>
> Please do  `apt show ncdu`   ( NC as in ncurses, but pronounce as
> "nice"
> and DU is indeed Disk Usage )

On the subject of short (two letter) commands. I deemed ``ncdu'' nice
enough
to be deserving of a very short command. So I added
   alias DU=ncdu
to my profile.

What commands are the easiest available is somewhat personal.
So this is better than having a /usr/bin/DU program.

Also one tends to forget things. Trying to remember ncdu back in a
couple
of months may be frustating. The profile file can serve as a reminder of
things
one found useful in the past.

Groetjes Albert

--
Suffering is the prerogative of the strong, the weak -- perish.
Albert van der Horst