KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Martin Steigerwald
Hi!

As usual check apt dist-upgrade output carefully for any package
removals and wait till the upload is complete.

Thanks to everyone from Qt/KDE team! Also for updated KDE Application
packages and even new ones. You are doing a wonderful job!

Martin

Re: KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Sandro Knauß-5
Hi,

> As usual check apt dist-upgrade output carefully for any package
> removals and wait till the upload is complete.

Please read the update messages more carefully. Frameworks is uploaded to
experimental, so nobody should install it by accident. And nobody should
install new version from experimental by default, because experimental is
often used, to coordinate new version, like handling stuff, that hits the NEW
queue.

hefee

Re: KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Martin Steigerwald
Hi Sandro.

Sandro Knauß - 10.09.19, 10:30:32 CEST:
> > As usual check apt dist-upgrade output carefully for any package
> > removals and wait till the upload is complete.
>
> Please read the update messages more carefully. Frameworks is uploaded
> to experimental, so nobody should install it by accident. And nobody
> should install new version from experimental by default, because
> experimental is often used, to coordinate new version, like handling
> stuff, that hits the NEW queue.

I am sorry, in my excitement of something new coming, I missed that.

Will read more carefully next time.

And anyway: it is always good to watch out then doing apt dist-upgrade,
so my notices may be redundant. So may just skip notices like that
completely in the future.

Best,
--
Martin

Re: KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Rainer Dorsch-2
Hi Martin,

your reporting to the list is useful for me, I like it. :-)

Many thanks
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch
http://bokomoko.de/

Re: KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:44:03 +0200
Martin Steigerwald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martin,

>so my notices may be redundant.

Like Rainer, I find your notifications useful.  Keep it up.  Cheers.

--
 Regards  _
Only the wounded remain, the generals have all left the game

Re: KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Martin Steigerwald
Hi Brad, Rainer, all,

Brad Rogers - 12.09.19, 14:48:10 CEST:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:44:03 +0200
> Martin Steigerwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >so my notices may be redundant.
>
> Like Rainer, I find your notifications useful.  Keep it up.  Cheers.

Okay, thanks Rainer and Brad.

So I may continue to send those notices but aim at looking more careful
and not report about things uploaded to experimental (unless there would
be a really good reason too and it would be a single low-risk package or
so).

Martin

Re: KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 15:50:42 +0200
Martin Steigerwald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Martin,

>Okay, thanks Rainer and Brad.

YW.

>So I may continue to send those notices but aim at looking more careful

AFAIAC, it's a good thing that you do.  You have a far better
understanding of KDE/Plasma than me.  As a result, I get insights that
would not be obvious to me.  For example, I managed to delete a whole
load of redundant Qt4 stuff recently.  I would not have attempted to do
so without your announcements here.

So, again, thank you.

>and not report about things uploaded to experimental (unless there

Mistakes happen;  we're only human after all....
I think Sandro might have come across more harshly than was intended.
Don't worry about it too much.

--
 Regards  _
Looking for something I can call my own

Re: KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Sandro Knauß-5
Hey,

> >So I may continue to send those notices but aim at looking more careful
>
> AFAIAC, it's a good thing that you do.  You have a far better
> understanding of KDE/Plasma than me.  As a result, I get insights that
> would not be obvious to me.  For example, I managed to delete a whole
> load of redundant Qt4 stuff recently.  I would not have attempted to do
> so without your announcements here.
>
> So, again, thank you.

+1 from my side. I really also like that Martin is doing this kind of
communication. Thanks artin for sharing debian-kde@ the news from the Qt/KDE
Debian team.

> >and not report about things uploaded to experimental (unless there
>
> Mistakes happen;  we're only human after all....
> I think Sandro might have come across more harshly than was intended.
> Don't worry about it too much.

Sure mistakes happen, I also do a lot of stupid stuff. My comment was
formulated harshly and I'm very sorry for that! Thanks Brad for bringing this
up. Only after your message I got back reading my message again and I noticed
it that it was too harsh formulated.

What I really want to do is encourage people to participate in Qt/KDE Debian
team and not scare them off.

As you may or may not know the Qt/KDE Debian team is unfortunately not very
big and we are happy about everyone who want to join. And we find work for
everyone, create/update documentation, update our website [1], organize
meetings, create blog posts, do/organize bug triages, bring bug reports
upstream, ...
I can also offer to help people, that want to start with packaging!

I tend to write messages and forget, that the the audience I'm talking to
don't know the terms I use or about the topic itself. I really enjoy
explaining stuff, so if you have ANY question, feel free to ask.

Regards,

hefee

[1] https://qt-kde-team.pages.debian.net/

Re: KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Martin Steigerwald
Hi Sandro.

Sandro Knauß - 13.09.19, 13:21:38 CEST:

> > >and not report about things uploaded to experimental (unless there
> >
> > Mistakes happen;  we're only human after all....
> > I think Sandro might have come across more harshly than was
> > intended.
> > Don't worry about it too much.
>
> Sure mistakes happen, I also do a lot of stupid stuff. My comment was
> formulated harshly and I'm very sorry for that! Thanks Brad for
> bringing this up. Only after your message I got back reading my
> message again and I noticed it that it was too harsh formulated.

Forgiven and forgotten. :) Indeed I felt hurt a bit but after
considering your message a later I found it to be quite neutral and
asking me to read more carefully was appropriate. Probably this being
quite neutral was part of why I reacted this way. I really wondered
whether my little information service would be appreciated. Aside from
that I wondered whether it was useful anyway some times already as I
usually receive the devel-changes messages and know my way with apt.

> What I really want to do is encourage people to participate in Qt/KDE
> Debian team and not scare them off.

And you did so. Still remember KDE Randa Meetings and Debconf in
Heidelberg :)

> As you may or may not know the Qt/KDE Debian team is unfortunately not
> very big and we are happy about everyone who want to join. And we
> find work for everyone, create/update documentation, update our
> website [1], organize meetings, create blog posts, do/organize bug
> triages, bring bug reports upstream, ...
> I can also offer to help people, that want to start with packaging!

It is challenging for me to allocate larger chunks of time at the
moment. But I try to help were I can. I thought about packaging
something in KDE space not yet packaged, but while I do some packaging
work – fio and fsmark packages, sponsored uploads so far, but I believe
especially the fio package is very good quality –, I often thought: Oh,
these GUI things are larger and much more complex. But well, maybe next
time I read about some KDE application not yet packaged, I may just ask
on #debian-qt-kde and… at least start something to see how it goes. I am
a bit scared about doing something that would not be good enough for the
archive, but when someone reviews it…

I am grateful that Scarlett joined the team. I appreciate that she
packaged some new stuff as well as updated some packages.

> I tend to write messages and forget, that the the audience I'm talking
> to don't know the terms I use or about the topic itself. I really
> enjoy explaining stuff, so if you have ANY question, feel free to
> ask.

I am really grateful for all your work on KDEPIM and on packaging it for
Debian. And I am really looking forward to the next major version KDEPIM
packaging update for Debian. I bet it is a lot of work and may even
require packages to go through NEW. And I understand that before that it
may be better to get updated KF5 packages into Sid and probably also
updated Plasma packages.

Ciao,
--
Martin

Re: KDE Frameworks 5.61 coming

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer-2
On 19/09/13 05:07, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
[snip]

> > As you may or may not know the Qt/KDE Debian team is unfortunately not
> > very big and we are happy about everyone who want to join. And we
> > find work for everyone, create/update documentation, update our
> > website [1], organize meetings, create blog posts, do/organize bug
> > triages, bring bug reports upstream, ...
> > I can also offer to help people, that want to start with packaging!
>
> It is challenging for me to allocate larger chunks of time at the
> moment. But I try to help were I can. I thought about packaging
> something in KDE space not yet packaged, but while I do some packaging
> work – fio and fsmark packages, sponsored uploads so far, but I believe
> especially the fio package is very good quality –, I often thought: Oh,
> these GUI things are larger and much more complex. But well, maybe next
> time I read about some KDE application not yet packaged, I may just ask
> on #debian-qt-kde and… at least start something to see how it goes. I am
> a bit scared about doing something that would not be good enough for the
> archive, but when someone reviews it…

Full disclosure: I wrote that you should step up with packaging *before* reading
Sandro. Which also means that both of us think you would just fit ;-)

Cheers!