Kde devices's automounting on desktop

João Silva-2
Hi,
does anybody knows if exists any aplication
that automatically mounts devices on desktop
like gnome do?

Greetings,
João Silva

Cumprimentos,
João Carlos Galaio da Silva

Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

jjluza (Bugzilla)
Le Samedi 22 Octobre 2005 13:13, João Silva a écrit :

> Hi,
> does anybody knows if exists any aplication
> that automatically mounts devices on desktop
> like gnome do?
>
> Greetings,
> João Silva
>
> --
> Cumprimentos,
> João Carlos Galaio da Silva

Add device icons on your desktop, or add the applet in kicker bar.
It will not mount it automatically, but it shows the icons when you
plug the
device (if you use udev+hal), and when you click on this icon, to open
window, it mounts it for you (you need pmount for that)
In kde 3.5, kde will ask you what you want to do with the device (play
a dvd,
play cd audio, write data, mount the device, or so ...)
I guees there are other solutions, but it is the one I choose since
it's well
integrated in kde, and not too intrusive/heavy.

Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

Theo Schmidt
João Silva schrieb:
> does anybody knows if exists any aplication
> that automatically mounts devices on desktop
> like gnome do?

There was extensive discussion on this list about this; you may find it
in the archives. The conclusion was yes, KDE can do this, as you will
find out if you try out Kubuntu and plug in a USB storage device. As for
getting Debian to do this: there was no real consensus what is exactly
needed and what isn't: there seem to be several competing systems and no
agreement on this list which is best.

Theo Schmidt

Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

Huston
I know if you go to the control center, desktop and behavior there is a tab
for device icons, and I can make my hard drives and network drives show up
mounted on the desktop.

>> does anybody knows if exists any aplication
>> that automatically mounts devices on desktop
>> like gnome do?
>
> There was extensive discussion on this list about this; you may find it in
> the archives. The conclusion was yes, KDE can do this, as you will find
> out if you try out Kubuntu and plug in a USB storage device. As for
> getting Debian to do this: there was no real consensus what is exactly
> needed and what isn't: there seem to be several competing systems and no
> agreement on this list which is best.
>
> Theo Schmidt

Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

João Silva-2
Well, thanks for your fast awsers.
I had configured autofs.
Maybe i will make some work on it for debian.
My question was, the automounting without the locking of the device.
I already done this with autofs. I know that kunbutu's kde already do that,
with an adaption of gnomevfs.

On 10/23/05, Huston <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know if you go to the control center, desktop and behavior there is a tab
for device icons, and I can make my hard drives and network drives show up
mounted on the desktop.

>> does anybody knows if exists any aplication
>> that automatically mounts devices on desktop
>> like gnome do?
>
> There was extensive discussion on this list about this; you may find it in
> the archives. The conclusion was yes, KDE can do this, as you will find
> out if you try out Kubuntu and plug in a USB storage device. As for
> getting Debian to do this: there was no real consensus what is exactly
> needed and what isn't: there seem to be several competing systems and no
> agreement on this list which is best.
>
> Theo Schmidt

Cumprimentos,
João Carlos Galaio da Silva

Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

Martin Steigerwald
Am Samstag 22 Oktober 2005 13:13 schrieb João Silva:
> Hi,
> does anybody knows if exists any aplication
> that automatically mounts devices on desktop
> like gnome do?

Hello João,

KDE 3.4 has inbuilt functionality for this using the media:// kio slave,
hal, udev and D-BUS. Either just use the media:// kio slave or configure
the desktop which device symbols it should display (context menu from
desktop, "Behaviour/Device symbols" or something like that, have it in
german here). It does not automount, but it puts an icon (or more when
there are several partitions on the medium) that you can click to mount
it. KDE 3.5 adds to that that it pops up a window when you insert a
medium.

For KDE 3.3 you can use usbmount and hook in a script that puts an icon on
the desktop. I have made one that I can send to you.

Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

Derek Broughton-2
Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> KDE 3.4 ... does not automount, but it puts an icon (or more when
> there are several partitions on the medium) that you can click to mount
> it.

I don't think that's _quite_ right.  aiui, if you create the correct
hal .fdi files, you can specify that the device be automounted.  Gnome
seems to have better support for that end of things.
--
derek

Re: Kde devices's automounting on desktop

Null Pointer-2
On Friday 28 October 2005 08:24, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > KDE 3.4 ... does not automount, but it puts an icon (or
> > more when there are several partitions on the medium) that
> > you can click to mount it.
>
> I don't think that's _quite_ right.  aiui, if you create the
> correct hal .fdi files, you can specify that the device be
> automounted.  Gnome seems to have better support for that
> end of things. --
> derek

As I write this I am upgrading a notebook to KDE 3.4. Before
the upgrade, the notebook had a new net install of
Debian/Testing -- using the Sarge net installer, RC3 -- not
exactly up to date, but it worked with a few kinks.

With only some parts of 3.4 installed, I restarted KDE and got
the 3.4 login screen. I logged in, opened Konq, clicked on
storage media, and then plugged in a SanDisk flash drive. Its
icon immediately appeared, correctly labeled. When I clicked
on the drive's icon, it mounted and Konq correctly displayed
the contents. Files opened properly, etc.

The context menu for the icon lists 'mount' and 'safely
remove.' It does not have 'unmount' as an option -- even when
the device is mounted. The icon properly indicates if the
device is mounted or not. "Safely remove' seems to have
replaced 'unmount' for removeable media.

It seems to work just as Martin indicated -- and was the
primary reason I chose to get the 3.4 from Sid.

While it may be possible to script things so that the device is
mounted automatically when it is plugged in, I see that as an
unnecessary risk for removeable media, at least for my current
applications. I prefer it to mount when I click on the icon,
so I'm happy with what I am finding in 3.4.

N.P.

Null Pointer wrote:

> On Friday 28 October 2005 08:24, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>> > KDE 3.4 ... does not automount, but it puts an icon (or
>> > more when there are several partitions on the medium) that
>> > you can click to mount it.
>>
>> I don't think that's _quite_ right.  aiui, if you create the
>> correct hal .fdi files, you can specify that the device be
>> automounted.  Gnome seems to have better support for that
>> end of things.
>
> With only some parts of 3.4 installed, I restarted KDE and got
> the 3.4 login screen. I logged in, opened Konq, clicked on
> storage media, and then plugged in a SanDisk flash drive. Its
> icon immediately appeared, correctly labeled. When I clicked
> on the drive's icon, it mounted and Konq correctly displayed
> the contents. Files opened properly, etc.
>
> The context menu for the icon lists 'mount' and 'safely
> remove.' It does not have 'unmount' as an option -- even when
> the device is mounted. The icon properly indicates if the
> device is mounted or not. "Safely remove' seems to have
> replaced 'unmount' for removeable media.
>
> It seems to work just as Martin indicated -- and was the
> primary reason I chose to get the 3.4 from Sid.

Exactly - why I said not "quite" right.  That's the way everything works by
default, and is definitely good enough for me.

> While it may be possible to script things so that the device is
> mounted automatically when it is plugged in, I see that as an
> unnecessary risk for removeable media, at least for my current
> applications. I prefer it to mount when I click on the icon,
> so I'm happy with what I am finding in 3 he;.

It's not a matter of scripting, but of setting attributes for specific
devices & media.  You could, for instance (I think) make your CD player
only automount CDs with specific volume labels - way too much work to do by
hand, but some helper program might take advantage of it.  For instance,
your audio player might have a record of all the CDs you've played, and add
their labels into hal's database so that whenever you reinsert a CD from
your audio collection it is automatically played.

I don't see automounting a USB memory stick to be an unnecessary risk, and
I've seen enough users demanding it and then writing their own .fdi's so
that their sticks do automount.  It's "unmounting" that's the problem :-)
--
derek