Kernel upgrade ?

John-18
I received a notification from the Debian security list saying that
there were a number of fixes to the kernel and saying I should update
my buster system; "For the stable distribution (buster), these
problems have been fixed in version 4.19.37-5+deb10u2."

However apt does not seem to know about this and I remain running
4.19.37-5+deb10u1 according to uname.  What am I missing?   I did
check /etc/apt/sources and it does include
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free

Thank you for any information.
==John ffitch

Re: Kernel upgrade ?

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 11:35:34AM +0100, John wrote:

> I received a notification from the Debian security list saying that
> there were a number of fixes to the kernel and saying I should update
> my buster system; "For the stable distribution (buster), these
> problems have been fixed in version 4.19.37-5+deb10u2."
>
> However apt does not seem to know about this and I remain running
> 4.19.37-5+deb10u1 according to uname.  What am I missing?   I did
> check /etc/apt/sources and it does include
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free

That seems quite odd. Accoring to the PTS page for linux [0], that the
current version in the stable-security suite is 4.19.37-5+deb10u2.  The
buildd status page [1] shows that version as being built and installed
on all architectures.  The actual pool directory in the archive [2] also
contains the built binaries.

It seems possible that there is a misconfigured caching proxy between
you and the Debian Security CDN.  Can you try from another network or
another machine?

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/linux
[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=linux&suite=buster
[2] http://security-cdn.debian.org/debian-security/pool/main/l/linux/

Roberto C. Sánchez

Re: Kernel upgrade ?

Skidzun-2
Did you by chance forgot apt-get update?

Cheers, Holger

Mit freundlichem Gruß!

> Le 12 août 2019 à 12:35, John <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> I received a notification from the Debian security list saying that
> there were a number of fixes to the kernel and saying I should update
> my buster system; "For the stable distribution (buster), these
> problems have been fixed in version 4.19.37-5+deb10u2."
>
> However apt does not seem to know about this and I remain running
> 4.19.37-5+deb10u1 according to uname.  What am I missing?   I did
> check /etc/apt/sources and it does include
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
>
> Thank you for any information.
> ==John ffitch

Re: Kernel upgrade ?

John-18
No I did not; I checked that again kjust niw but sill no upgrade.

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, Holger Skidzun wrote:

> Did you by chance forgot apt-get update?
>
> Cheers, Holger
>
> Mit freundlichem Gruß!
>
>> Le 12 août 2019 à 12:35, John <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> I received a notification from the Debian security list saying that
>> there were a number of fixes to the kernel and saying I should update
>> my buster system; "For the stable distribution (buster), these
>> problems have been fixed in version 4.19.37-5+deb10u2."
>>
>> However apt does not seem to know about this and I remain running
>> 4.19.37-5+deb10u1 according to uname.  What am I missing?   I did
>> check /etc/apt/sources and it does include
>> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
>>
>> Thank you for any information.
>> ==John ffitch

Re: Kernel upgrade ?

Jude DaShiell-3
You have updated /etc/apt-get/sources.list and replaced testing with
buster in all locations too and this failure continues?

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, john wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 07:12:39
> From: john <[hidden email]>
> To: Holger Skidzun <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade ?
>
> No I did not; I checked that again kjust niw but sill no upgrade.
>
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, Holger Skidzun wrote:
>
> > Did you by chance forgot apt-get update?
> >
> > Cheers, Holger
> >
> > Mit freundlichem Gru?!
> >
> >> Le 12 ao?t 2019 ? 12:35, John <[hidden email]> a ?crit :
> >>
> >> I received a notification from the Debian security list saying that
> >> there were a number of fixes to the kernel and saying I should update
> >> my buster system; "For the stable distribution (buster), these
> >> problems have been fixed in version 4.19.37-5+deb10u2."
> >>
> >> However apt does not seem to know about this and I remain running
> >> 4.19.37-5+deb10u1 according to uname.  What am I missing?   I did
> >> check /etc/apt/sources and it does include
> >> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib
> >> non-free
> >>
> >> Thank you for any information.
> >> ==John ffitch

Re: Kernel upgrade ?

John-18
yes

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> You have updated /etc/apt-get/sources.list and replaced testing with
> buster in all locations too and this failure continues?
>
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, john wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 07:12:39
>> From: john <[hidden email]>
>> To: Holger Skidzun <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade ?
>>
>> No I did not; I checked that again kjust niw but sill no upgrade.
>>
>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, Holger Skidzun wrote:
>>
>> > Did you by chance forgot apt-get update?
>> >
>> > Cheers, Holger
>> >
>> > Mit freundlichem Gru?!

>> contrib

Re: Kernel upgrade ?

Jude DaShiell-3
The other tip about kernel install selection is to install something
like kernel-i386 or kernel-x86 without all of the long version numbers
as suffixes in their names.  You get those kernels by default unless you
run install with expert operational in which case you then get presented
with all of the choices.  I expect one way or the other you have this
covered correctly, so it could be something between you and debian pool
is misconfigured.

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, john wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 08:23:59
> From: john <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade ?
>
> yes
>
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>
> > You have updated /etc/apt-get/sources.list and replaced testing with
> > buster in all locations too and this failure continues?
> >
> > On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, john wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 07:12:39
> >> From: john <[hidden email]>
> >> To: Holger Skidzun <[hidden email]>
> >> Cc: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade ?
> >>
> >> No I did not; I checked that again kjust niw but sill no upgrade.

> >> contrib

Re: Kernel upgrade ?

andreimpopescu
On Lu, 12 aug 19, 08:49:34, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> The other tip about kernel install selection is to install something
> like kernel-i386 or kernel-x86 without all of the long version numbers
> as suffixes in their names.

This is a good idea in general. For the amd64 architecture the package
name would be linux-image-amd64.

> You get those kernels by default unless you
> run install with expert operational in which case you then get presented
> with all of the choices.  I expect one way or the other you have this
> covered correctly, so it could be something between you and debian pool
> is misconfigured.

More likely in this case, because it's the same package name.

@John: please post the output of:

$ apt policy linux-image-4.19.0-5-*

Kind regard,
Andrei