Killing off gnome-cd

Marco Cabizza-2
We are thinking of getting rid of gnome-cd (which is the source for lots
of Debian BTS bugs) recommending sound-juicer instead.

If you guys agree a gnome-cd-less gnome-media version will be uploaded
soonish.

Ciao
~marco

Re: Killing off gnome-cd

Ross Burton
On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 00:46 +0200, Marco Cabizza wrote:
> We are thinking of getting rid of gnome-cd (which is the source for lots
> of Debian BTS bugs) recommending sound-juicer instead.
>
> If you guys agree a gnome-cd-less gnome-media version will be uploaded
> soonish.

As upstream for Sound Juicer I should point out that at the moment I
have no plans on adding the features that gnome-cd has and SJ doesn't
have (repeat, random, and so on).  The official line is that SJ's
playback support is for previewing tracks, not for listening to entire
CDs.  I always advocated Totem for CD playback, but it turns out that
Bastien disagrees and has (he told me he will at least) removed playback
entirely from Totem 2.15.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: [hidden email]
                                          jabber: [hidden email]

Re: Killing off gnome-cd

Sjoerd Simons-2
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:30:24AM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 00:46 +0200, Marco Cabizza wrote:
> > We are thinking of getting rid of gnome-cd (which is the source for lots
> > of Debian BTS bugs) recommending sound-juicer instead.
> >
> > If you guys agree a gnome-cd-less gnome-media version will be uploaded
> > soonish.
>
> As upstream for Sound Juicer I should point out that at the moment I
> have no plans on adding the features that gnome-cd has and SJ doesn't
> have (repeat, random, and so on).  The official line is that SJ's
> playback support is for previewing tracks, not for listening to entire
> CDs.  I always advocated Totem for CD playback, but it turns out that
> Bastien disagrees and has (he told me he will at least) removed playback
> entirely from Totem 2.15.

Otoh playing audio cd's in rhythmbox work nicely (at least according to the few
people i've asked here)....

  Sjoerd
--
We gave you an atomic bomb, what do you want, mermaids?
                -- I. I. Rabi to the Atomic Energy Commission

Re: Killing off gnome-cd

Josselin Mouette
Le vendredi 09 juin 2006 à 10:30 +0100, Ross Burton a écrit :
> As upstream for Sound Juicer I should point out that at the moment I
> have no plans on adding the features that gnome-cd has and SJ doesn't
> have (repeat, random, and so on).  The official line is that SJ's
> playback support is for previewing tracks, not for listening to entire
> CDs.  I always advocated Totem for CD playback, but it turns out that
> Bastien disagrees and has (he told me he will at least) removed playback
> entirely from Totem 2.15.

Still, SJ's interface is incomparably better, even if it is only for
playing CD's. Also, using digital extraction avoids all "Where do I
change the volume?" and "Why isn't there any cable?" issues. If people
really want more advanced features like repeat or random, they can still
extract the tracks. These features are far less useful for CD's than for
music collections, anyway.

Another option is to keep gnome-cd in, but to make sound-juicer the
default application opened by gnome-vokume-manager.
--
 .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
: :' :           [hidden email]
   `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

Re: Killing off gnome-cd

Gustavo Noronha Silva
Em Sex, 2006-06-09 às 00:46 +0200, Marco Cabizza escreveu:
> We are thinking of getting rid of gnome-cd (which is the source for lots
> of Debian BTS bugs) recommending sound-juicer instead.
>
> If you guys agree a gnome-cd-less gnome-media version will be uploaded
> soonish.

I disagree, and having spent some time fixing gstreamer bugs which made
gnome-cd not work right for me, I'd be interested in working some more
on it to make it work again for me (it is not working for some time, but
I never got around to looking at it). I am using cdtools to play CD's,
when I need it, for sound-juicer's UI is not very good, but I'd like to
have gnome-cd back.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <[hidden email]>
http://people.debian.org/~kov/

Re: Killing off gnome-cd

Ross Burton
On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 21:16 -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> I disagree, and having spent some time fixing gstreamer bugs which made
> gnome-cd not work right for me, I'd be interested in working some more
> on it to make it work again for me (it is not working for some time, but
> I never got around to looking at it). I am using cdtools to play CD's,
> when I need it, for sound-juicer's UI is not very good, but I'd like to
> have gnome-cd back.

I must admit that is the first time I've seen someone say gnome-cd
should not be dropped because they like the UI. :)

Ross