Konsole empty

Michal BULIK-2
Hi,

I'm on bullseye and after the recent upgrades my konsole is empty : just
a window with no possibility to enter the commands (cf the attached
image).

The version I have :

ii  konsole        4:19.08.0-1 amd64        X terminal emulator

Thank you,
Michal

konsole-2019-08-22.png (53K) Download Attachment

Re: Konsole empty

luca.pedrielli
Il 22/08/19 10:39, Michal Bulik ha scritto:
Hi,

I'm on bullseye and after the recent upgrades my konsole is empty : just
a window with no possibility to enter the commands (cf the attached
image).

The version I have :

ii  konsole        4:19.08.0-1 amd64        X terminal emulator

Thank you,
Michal

It does not seem to depend on the konsole version:

$ dpkg -l| grep konsole
ii  konsole                                       4:19.08.0-1                        amd64        X terminal emulator
ii  konsole-kpart                                 4:19.08.0-1                        amd64        Konsole plugin for Qt applications

No problem here with debian testing.

Best, Luca.

Re: Konsole empty

Martin Steigerwald
Hi Michal.

Michal Bulik - 22.08.19, 10:39:32 CEST:
> I'm on bullseye and after the recent upgrades my konsole is empty :
> just a window with no possibility to enter the commands (cf the
> attached image).
>
> The version I have :
>
> ii  konsole        4:19.08.0-1 amd64        X terminal emulator

Is that with a Konsole that was directly started with the session?

I have that to with Konsole 19.08. But when I open a new window directly
it works.

I first thought it was an update issue, i.e. Konsole 19.08 would have
problems to restore a session of an older Konsole version, but it
happened also with a Konsole 19.08 window saved with the session.

Best,
--
Martin

Re: Konsole empty

inkbottle
On Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:55:27 PM CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Hi Michal.
>
> Michal Bulik - 22.08.19, 10:39:32 CEST:
> > I'm on bullseye and after the recent upgrades my konsole is empty :
> > just a window with no possibility to enter the commands (cf the
> > attached image).
> >
> > The version I have :
> >
> > ii  konsole        4:19.08.0-1 amd64        X terminal emulator
>
> Is that with a Konsole that was directly started with the session?

For me after the first reboot I had lost all Konsole tabs from the previous
session, and instead had a blank window, similar to that in the picture posted
in that thread.
However after the next reboot the konsole session tabs were reopened as they
should.
I'd say it is related to bug 935031.
C.

> I have that to with Konsole 19.08. But when I open a new window directly
> it works.
>
> I first thought it was an update issue, i.e. Konsole 19.08 would have
> problems to restore a session of an older Konsole version, but it
> happened also with a Konsole 19.08 window saved with the session.
>
> Best,

Re: Konsole empty

Michal BULIK-2

Hi Martin,

Hi Michal.

Michal Bulik - 22.08.19, 10:39:32 CEST:
I'm on bullseye and after the recent upgrades my konsole is empty :
just a window with no possibility to enter the commands (cf the
attached image).

The version I have :

ii  konsole        4:19.08.0-1 amd64        X terminal emulator
Is that with a Konsole that was directly started with the session?

Yes, I confirm that the problem concerns Konsoles started with the session

(saved from the previous session).

I have that to with Konsole 19.08. But when I open a new window directly
it works.

Same here, new konsole windows work fine. Sorry for not testing this. I've considered

that there was konsole general problem and I've switched to another terminal.

I first thought it was an update issue, i.e. Konsole 19.08 would have
problems to restore a session of an older Konsole version, but it
happened also with a Konsole 19.08 window saved with the session.

Best,

Best regards

Michal

--
signature mail Altair 2018/09/11

Re: Konsole empty

Martin Steigerwald
Please use plain text mails, no HTML. They clear text of it did not show
proper quotes.

Michal Bulik - 23.08.19, 09:48:41 CEST:
> Michal Bulik - 22.08.19, 10:39:32 CEST:
[…]
>> I have that to with Konsole 19.08. But when I open a new window
>> directly it works.

> Same here, new konsole windows work fine. Sorry for not testing this.
> I've considered that there was konsole general problem and I've
> switched to another terminal.

I see. Thanks for confirming.

> I first thought it was an update issue, i.e. Konsole 19.08 would have
> problems to restore a session of an older Konsole version, but it
> happened also with a Konsole 19.08 window saved with the session.

I had the idea that this issue might come due to Konsole 19.08 on an
older version of KDE Frameworks. Sometimes there are changes in
applications that depend on newer versions of KDE Frameworks.

So the issues may go away with a newer version of KDE Frameworks in
Debian.

I will add this idea to

konsoles started with KDE are black first

https://bugs.debian.org/935031

Martin

KDE version numbering, (K)ubunt vs. Debian, was: Re: Konsole empty

rhkramer

Ok, had a question, found an answer by googling, was going to save this as a draft and maybe put a copy on askRhk, but I decided to post it to the list in case it helps anyone else.

My puzzlement and the answer (afaict): I started to see version numbers for KDE apps very different from what I am used to. I found out that (at least apparently) KDE has changed their version numbering scheme. (It now looks like (at least to me, at a quick glance) like the version numbers used by (K)ubuntu but I'm not sure whether the scheme is the same or not -- I'd tend to bet that it is. I guess I've resolved my puzzlement.

A link:

* [[https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=265&t=129043][newbie question about version numbers]]

`

To my limited knowledge the Kdenlive developers adopted a new versioning scheme when they ported Kdenlive to the recent KDE Framework 5 (KF5). They are following the versioning scheme adopted by the KDE Project, in particular, YY.MM.p. YY is the year of the release. MM the month. Typically, there are only few major releases, two this year so far: 15.04 in April, 15.08 in August. These releases should being follow the KF5 releases, as Kdenlive is now part of the KDE 5 Applications. The third number p then indicates the patchlevel releases, that is, bug fix releases that happen from time to tome in between the larger KDE Applications releases.

'

My attempt at drafting the question:

On Friday, August 23, 2019 06:40:16 AM Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> I had the idea that this issue might come due to Konsole 19.08 on an

I am puzzled by the version number. (I think I asked a similar question before but, unless I missed something, I got no response.)

Some data points (or not):

* In my mind, 19.08 looks like a (K)Ubuntu version number

* The most recent version of Debian that I actually use is Jessie, my daily user is Wheezy (I know), but in which konsole is:

<quote>

Version 2.8.4
Using KDE Development Platform 4.8.4 (4.8.4)

</quote>

On Jessie, it is 2.14.2 on 4.14.2

Have the KDE numbers really jumped to something like 19.08?

(I looked up the bug listed in the previous email in this thread (the one to which I am replying) which was:

There, I see:

Found in version konsole/4:19.08.0-1

Re: KDE version numbering, (K)ubunt vs. Debian, was: Re: Konsole empty

Martin Steigerwald
[hidden email] - 23.08.19, 15:40:07 CEST:
> My puzzlement and the answer (afaict):  I started to see version
> numbers for KDE apps very different from what I am used to.  I found
> out that (at least apparently) KDE has changed their version
> numbering scheme.  (It now looks like (at least to me, at a quick
> glance) like the version numbers used by (K)ubuntu but I'm not sure
> whether the scheme is the same or not -- I'd tend to bet that it is.
> I guess I've resolved my puzzlement.

In basic there are two version numbering schemes:

1) YY.MM in lockstep with the KDE Applications release, for example
19.08 or 18.04.

2) An application specific version number.

Now some applications like Konsole tend to use scheme 1 only – at least
since Konsole 19.08:

% konsole --version
konsole 19.08.0

Others like the applications of KDEPIM use scheme 2. But as they are
packaged with KDEPIM, both schemes are used. The upstream bug tracker
https://bugs.kde.org however uses the application specific number.

% kmail --version
kmail2 5.9.3

If you like to find out the YY.MM one, in Debian you can ask package
management:

% LANG=en apt policy kmail | grep Installed
[…]
  Installed: 4:18.08.3-1

Both schemes have different advantages and disadvantages:

1) Same version number in all applications. Version numbers get bumped
even without major changes. So a specific KDE application in KDE
Applications 18.08 could be the same as in 19.08.

2) Different version numbers in different applications. Mixed with the
YY.MM numbers it can lead to confusion. Application maintainers bump
version numbers. That may indicate a change in the application or not.
But theoretically version numbers could be more meaningful.

This has been discussed upstream, but no clear conclusion has been
found. Some application maintainers use only scheme 1 others use scheme
2, but release with the KDE Applications bundle, and deal with the
possible confusion, still others release independently and may use
scheme 1 or 2.

Can it be confusing?

Yes, it can. But by comparing "binary --version" versus information from
package management you can get a clearer picture about a specific
application.

Well and then there is the versioning of KDE Frameworks and Plasma. KDE
Frameworks currently is 5.n and they just add 1 to n with every release.
Plasma is 5.x.y and they add one to x for every major release and one to
y for bug fix releases.

As for Jessie: This has still been Plasma 4 and KDE SC 4. I don't go
into detail how that was numbered. It is again different.

As far as I know there is nothing Debian or Ubuntu specific in there.
Debian and Kubuntu developers use scheme 2 for KDE Application packages.
And they use the official Plasma and KDE Frameworks version for their
packages. AFAIK this is not different between Debian and Kubuntu although
Kubuntu may have a newer version of packages at times, at least as
Debian Stable, but sometimes also as Debian Unstable.

Hope this summarizes it quite well.

Best,
--
Martin