Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Chris Jones-44
For my backups, I bought a DVD burner and a pack of DVD+RW's but I'm stuck
with one major issue.

The upside of the DVD+RW's is kind of a yellow-gold-bronze color and I can't
seem to find any way I can write anything on them.

Does anyone know of a magical pen that would write something legible on that
surface and possibly come with an eraser so that I can reuse them and still
have a clue what I used them for?

Right now I have three labeled cases (current, minus one, minus two) for my
backups and I try to make sure I manually rotate the DVDs.

Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?

Thanks!

CJ

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Ron Johnson
On 01/07/09 19:19, Chris Jones wrote:

> For my backups, I bought a DVD burner and a pack of DVD+RW's but I'm stuck
> with one major issue.
>
> The upside of the DVD+RW's is kind of a yellow-gold-bronze color and I can't
> seem to find any way I can write anything on them.
>
> Does anyone know of a magical pen that would write something legible on that
> surface and possibly come with an eraser so that I can reuse them and still
> have a clue what I used them for?
>
> Right now I have three labeled cases (current, minus one, minus two) for my
> backups and I try to make sure I manually rotate the DVDs.

Sharpies don't work?

> Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?

Sharpies work on every optical disk I've ever needed to write on.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Chris Jones-44
On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:47:53PM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/07/09 19:19, Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> >Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?
>
> Sharpies work on every optical disk I've ever needed to write on.

Actually, I've never bought a Sharpie in my life to be honest - I only use
pencils. But it looks like they're inexpensive & that my local Staples might
have them.

Do they have an eraser to go with that .. or do I use rubbing alcohol?

Thanks!

CJ

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Daryl Styrk

> Actually, I've never bought a Sharpie in my life to be honest - I only use
> pencils. But it looks like they're inexpensive & that my local Staples might
> have them.
>
> Do they have an eraser to go with that .. or do I use rubbing alcohol?
>
> Thanks!
>
> CJ

Most Sharpies are permanent.  However you can find the fine tip dry
erase type near them at most stores.  The dry erase type should wipe off
easily with a finger or soft cloth.  Another thing you might be able to
do is find CD/DVD sticker labels and keep on using your pencils.

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Ron Johnson
On 01/07/09 21:52, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:47:53PM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 01/07/09 19:19, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>>> Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?
>> Sharpies work on every optical disk I've ever needed to write on.
>
> Actually, I've never bought a Sharpie in my life to be honest

Do you live outside the US?

>                                                               - I only use
> pencils.

It would never occur to me to use pencil on optical media.

>          But it looks like they're inexpensive & that my local Staples might
> have them.
>
> Do they have an eraser to go with that .. or do I use rubbing alcohol?

Rubbing alcohol is probably destructive to plastic optical media.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Richard Hector
[Chris - sorry for the accidental direct reply]

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 22:52 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> Actually, I've never bought a Sharpie in my life to be honest - I only use
> pencils. But it looks like they're inexpensive & that my local Staples might
> have them.
>
> Do they have an eraser to go with that .. or do I use rubbing alcohol?

I'd be tempted to just write on something that never needs erasing -
either a name that makes sense in a repeating cycle (eg 'Monday',
'Tuesday' etc) or just an index number, and keep a separate record of
which disk you need for which date. Otherwise you increase the risk of
damaging the disk.

Just my thoughts.

Richard

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

smil3y
Ron Johnson wrote:

> Rubbing alcohol is probably destructive to plastic optical media.

most definately, but using a sharpie to write on and toothpaste to
remove isnt.  thats what ive used anyway.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

John Magolske
* Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> [090107 18:59]:
> On 01/07/09 19:19, Chris Jones wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a magical pen that would write something legible
>> on that surface and possibly come with an eraser so that I can reuse
>> them and still have a clue what I used them for?
>
> Sharpies don't work?

There seems to be some controversy regarding the use of Sharpie-type
permanent markers to write on optical disk media:

    Numerous CD vendors have noted that the thin protective lacquer
    coating can deteriorate from contact with certain solvents
    in markers. To eliminate the risk, water-based markers are
    recommended for CD labeling. As a solvent, alcohol is generally
    less damaging than xylene and toluene, which are common in
    aromatic solvent-based markers. According to anecdotal reports,
    alcohol-based markers can be used to label CDs without causing
    performance problems. However, there are no explicit lab test
    results to show what effect solvents in markers have on different
    CDs or DVDs, particularly over the long term.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.05/docs/CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf
[ 1.3MB pdf ]

Though a quick web search brings up many anecdotal stories of people
using Sharpies to label disks and having no problems...

There are also special pens available for marking disks, for example:
http://www.amazon.com/Archival-Gold-Safe-Solvent-Free/dp/B0007U7GSM

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Ron Johnson
On 01/07/09 22:40, steve wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> Rubbing alcohol is probably destructive to plastic optical media.
>>

> most definately, but using a sharpie to write on and toothpaste to
> remove isnt.  thats what ive used anyway.

That's the 2nd thing I've learned this month.  One more and that'll
be a record!

Anyway, O.M. is so cheap that I just get DVD+Rs in bulk and use them
once.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Chris Jones-44
On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 01:33:17AM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/07/09 22:40, steve wrote:
> >Ron Johnson wrote:

Sorry for being unclear .. I meant I practically neve write on plastic,
leather .. etc. just paper .. and apart from stuff like checks etc. I use
cheap mechanical pencils.

As to Sharpies, I thought they were just for writing on whiteboards ..

> >>Rubbing alcohol is probably destructive to plastic optical media.

> >most definately, but using a sharpie to write on and toothpaste to
> >remove isnt.  thats what ive used anyway.

I'll give that a shot ..

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Chris Jones-44
On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:59:07PM EST, John Magolske wrote:

> * Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> [090107 18:59]:
> > On 01/07/09 19:19, Chris Jones wrote:
> >> Does anyone know of a magical pen that would write something legible
> >> on that surface and possibly come with an eraser so that I can reuse
> >> them and still have a clue what I used them for?
> >
> > Sharpies don't work?
>
> There seems to be some controversy regarding the use of Sharpie-type
> permanent markers to write on optical disk media:
>
>     Numerous CD vendors have noted that the thin protective lacquer
>     coating can deteriorate from contact with certain solvents
>     in markers. To eliminate the risk, water-based markers are
>     recommended for CD labeling. As a solvent, alcohol is generally
>     less damaging than xylene and toluene, which are common in
>     aromatic solvent-based markers. According to anecdotal reports,
>     alcohol-based markers can be used to label CDs without causing
>     performance problems. However, there are no explicit lab test
>     results to show what effect solvents in markers have on different
>     CDs or DVDs, particularly over the long term.
>
> http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.05/docs/CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf
> [ 1.3MB pdf ]
>
> Though a quick web search brings up many anecdotal stories of people
> using Sharpies to label disks and having no problems...
>
> There are also special pens available for marking disks, for example:
> http://www.amazon.com/Archival-Gold-Safe-Solvent-Free/dp/B0007U7GSM

I have one that used to work OK on silver-colored CD's but does not on
the DVD+RW's I bought .. That's why I thought I'd ask before buying anything
else.

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Sam Kuper
2009/1/8 Chris Jones <[hidden email]>
> I have one that used to work OK on silver-colored CD's but does not on
> the DVD+RW's I bought .. That's why I thought I'd ask before buying anything
> else.

That's deeply weird. Are they Teflon-coated DVD+RW's?

Seriously, I'd check whether your pen still works on your
silver-coloured CDs. If not, then the reason it's not working on the
DVD+RW's is that it has dried out, or run out of ink.

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Ron Johnson
On 01/08/09 06:53, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 01:33:17AM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 01/07/09 22:40, steve wrote:
>>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> Sorry for being unclear .. I meant I practically neve write on plastic,
> leather .. etc. just paper .. and apart from stuff like checks etc. I use
> cheap mechanical pencils.
>
> As to Sharpies, I thought they were just for writing on whiteboards ..

:)

Your company would be very upset if you tried that!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.-3
On Thursday 2009 January 08 06:59:47 Sam Kuper wrote:
>2009/1/8 Chris Jones <[hidden email]>
>> I have one that used to work OK on silver-colored CD's but does not on
>> the DVD+RW's I bought .. That's why I thought I'd ask before buying
>> anything else.
>
>That's deeply weird. Are they Teflon-coated DVD+RW's?

His pen and the DVD+RWs are both shades of gold.  Gold on gold doesn't show up
very well.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[hidden email]                     ((_/)o o(\_))

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Chris Jones-44
On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 09:14:44AM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/08/09 06:53, Chris Jones wrote:
> >
> >Sorry for being unclear .. I meant I practically neve write on plastic,
> >leather .. etc. just paper .. and apart from stuff like checks etc. I use
> >cheap mechanical pencils.
> >
> >As to Sharpies, I thought they were just for writing on whiteboards ..
>
> :)
>
> Your company would be very upset if you tried that!

:-)

I guess I'm a little detail dis-oriented .. never bother to look at brand
names on stuff like that.. found a couple of pentels in my drawer at work, but
no sharpies.

Any recommendations? Or just any toothpaste will do?

Also, If found a web page that recommends water and vinegar among other fancy
stuff such as the mild abrasives the body shops use..

Thanks!

CJ

I put mine in the dishwasher.

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Chris Jones-44
On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 07:59:47AM EST, Sam Kuper wrote:

> 2009/1/8 Chris Jones <[hidden email]>
> > I have one that used to work OK on silver-colored CD's but does not on
> > the DVD+RW's I bought .. That's why I thought I'd ask before buying anything
> > else.
>
> That's deeply weird. Are they Teflon-coated DVD+RW's?
>
> Seriously, I'd check whether your pen still works on your
> silver-coloured CDs. If not, then the reason it's not working on the
> DVD+RW's is that it has dried out, or run out of ink.

I'll check .. what it was doing is leaving very faint lines that became almost
illegible when they dried .. maybe its contents have mutated to invisible ink?

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Sam Kuper
2009/1/8 Chris Jones <[hidden email]>

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 07:59:47AM EST, Sam Kuper wrote:
> > 2009/1/8 Chris Jones <[hidden email]>
> > > I have one that used to work OK on silver-colored CD's but does not on
> > > the DVD+RW's I bought .. That's why I thought I'd ask before buying anything
> > > else.
> > That's deeply weird. Are they Teflon-coated DVD+RW's?
> > Seriously, I'd check whether your pen still works on your
> > silver-coloured CDs. If not, then the reason it's not working on the
> > DVD+RW's is that it has dried out, or run out of ink.
> I'll check .. what it was doing is leaving very faint lines that became almost
> illegible when they dried .. maybe its contents have mutated to invisible ink?

Actually, I think I know what might be going on here.

Some O.M. have printable surfaces, which are usually either white or
silvery. Some pens that won't normally work on O.M. will write on
these. It's possible that your pen is such a pen, and that your
"silver-colored CDs" are such O.M.

If that's the case, then if your DVD+RWs are not printable (and
probably they are not, since the printable ones are rarer), your pen
will not write on them.

Any "permanent marker" (as they are called in the UK) by a reasonably
reputable pen manufacturer should work. I've had bad luck with
unbranded permanent markers in the past (ink smudged, or pens dried
out within a month, etc), so I'd avoid those. I've had good luck with
CD marker pens by TDK. I haven't tried Sharpies, but they sound like
they'd do the job. YMMV.

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Christopher Judd
On Thursday 08 January 2009, Chris Jones wrote:

> I guess I'm a little detail dis-oriented .. never bother to look at
> brand names on stuff like that.. found a couple of pentels in my
> drawer at work, but no sharpies.

> Any recommendations? Or just any toothpaste will do?
>
> Also, If found a web page that recommends water and vinegar among
> other fancy stuff such as the mild abrasives the body shops use..
>
> Thanks!
>
> CJ

Rubbing alcohol won't harm most plastics, but is usually too dilute
(~70%) to be really effective at removing ink.

I think that the plastic in CDs and DVDs is polycarbonate.  Methanol
will remove sharpie ink without harming the plastic.  If you can't find
it, denatured alcohol (Ethanol with some methanol added to discourage
drinking it), which is available at hardware stores, would probably do
it as well as, perhaps with a bit more elbow grease.

Methylene chloride (paint remover) will dissolve polycarbonate, so don't
use any solvents that contain it.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                                           |
|   Research Scientist III                                             |
|   NYS Dept. of Health                           [hidden email]   |
|   Wadsworth Center - ESP                                             |
|   P. O. Box 509                                    518 486-7829      |
|   Albany, NY 12201-0509                                              |

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Ron Johnson
On 01/08/09 13:00, Christopher Judd wrote:

> Methylene chloride (paint remover) will dissolve polycarbonate, so don't
> use any solvents that contain it.

But huffing it is soooo coooool!.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.