Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

brian-2

My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that
it apparently needs a *proprietary* plug-in to print properly.

I have H-Ps installer, and everything goes OK up to the point at which
it goes to an unspecified H-P site to download the plug-in. The
installer then claims that the file it tried to download has an
invalid checksum and may have been modified, and that's it, the
program exits. Substantially the same thing happens if I use hp-plugin
outside of the installer, it just tells me that it can't download the
file due to an invalid checksum.

H-P support are as much use as a chocolate teapot, all they will do is
to point me back to the site where I can download the installer again.
I have tried to point out to them that it appears to be a corrupted
file on their website (if I believe the error message!) but it gets me
nowhere.

Anybody got any ideas before I package the printer up and send it back
to Amazon to exchange it for another brand? I'm using 64-bit testing,
should anyone feel that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Brian.

Re: Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

rlharris
On Sun, September 18, 2016 5:10 pm, brian wrote:
> My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
> P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
> it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that it
> apparently needs a *proprietary* plug-in to print properly.
>
> I have H-Ps installer, and everything goes OK up to the point at which
> it goes to an unspecified H-P site to download the plug-in.

Installer?  Plug-in?  Are you using CUPS?  Is the P1109w not in the CUPS
menu?

I picked up a P3015 for $150; it runs perfectly under CUPS and is the best
printer I ever have used.  I am using the Ethernet interface.

RLH

On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 17:30:01 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:

>On Sun, September 18, 2016 5:10 pm, brian wrote:
>> My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
>> P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
>> it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that it
>> apparently needs a *proprietary* plug-in to print properly.
>>
>> I have H-Ps installer, and everything goes OK up to the point at which
>> it goes to an unspecified H-P site to download the plug-in.
>
>Installer?  Plug-in?  Are you using CUPS?  Is the P1109w not in the CUPS
>menu?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes it is, respectively. However, while the printer
is *recognised* without the proprietary software, it will not *print*
anything without the plugin.

>I picked up a P3015 for $150; it runs perfectly under CUPS and is the best
>printer I ever have used.  I am using the Ethernet interface.

I suppose I could enable wireless on my router and try the wireless
connection (I'm still all cabled here, it has no socket for an
ethernet cable nor for a JetDirect card) but I don't think it's going
to make any difference, it's not communicating with the printer which
is the problem. My system recognised the printer without any problem
whatsoever.

However, if you look on H-Ps website, they state explicitly that some
printers will require one of their plugins to print, and some will
not. I guess they ought to know about their own printers. :)

This printer was slightly more than half the price of yours ($79), but
if I do have to return it and get a different model, I'll keep your
recommendation in mind.

Brian.

Re: Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

Dutch Ingraham
On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 06:10:39PM -0400, brian wrote:
> Anybody got any ideas before I package the printer up and send it back
> to Amazon to exchange it for another brand? I'm using 64-bit testing,
> should anyone feel that makes a difference.

I'm not a Luddite, but if you still can, I'd ship it back and go on
e-bay and pick up a used 4050/4100 or some such.  Similar to your 5N,
but a little newer.  Most importantly, speaks perfect PS and drivers are
no problem (just CUPS+Gutenprint).  Get the N version for network
connectivity, because otherwise will likely come only configured for
parallel, which might be a problem.  Should be in the $100-$135 range.
I've got over 60000 copies on the ol' 4050N I've got.  If you've got the
cash, there are of course newer versions of pure postscript printers
available.

I got rid of my "modern" HP 1005p after sooo much frustration, needing
not just a driver and firmware, but something called a "hotplug" as
well.  So glad I lucked into the 4050 dinosaur.

Re: Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

Dan Ritter-4
On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 06:58:53PM -0400, brian wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 17:30:01 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> >On Sun, September 18, 2016 5:10 pm, brian wrote:
> >> My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
> >> P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
> >> it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that it
> >> apparently needs a *proprietary* plug-in to print properly.
> >>
> >> I have H-Ps installer, and everything goes OK up to the point at which
> >> it goes to an unspecified H-P site to download the plug-in.
> >
> >Installer?  Plug-in?  Are you using CUPS?  Is the P1109w not in the CUPS
> >menu?
> >

> Yes, yes, yes, and yes it is, respectively. However, while the printer
> is *recognised* without the proprietary software, it will not *print*
> anything without the plugin.
>
> >I picked up a P3015 for $150; it runs perfectly under CUPS and is the best
> >printer I ever have used.  I am using the Ethernet interface.
> >

> I suppose I could enable wireless on my router and try the wireless
> connection (I'm still all cabled here, it has no socket for an
> ethernet cable nor for a JetDirect card) but I don't think it's going
> to make any difference, it's not communicating with the printer which
> is the problem. My system recognised the printer without any problem
> whatsoever.
>
> However, if you look on H-Ps website, they state explicitly that some
> printers will require one of their plugins to print, and some will
> not. I guess they ought to know about their own printers. :)
>
> This printer was slightly more than half the price of yours ($79), but
> if I do have to return it and get a different model, I'll keep your
> recommendation in mind.

Pick a Brother with BRScript3 (their version of PostScript), an
ethernet port, and a duplexing feature (model name will have a D
near the end). Should be in the $100-150 range.

You can run it under CUPS with no bizarre driver downloads,
though Brother will offer you one.

-dsr-

Re: Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

Doug McGarrett
On 09/18/2016 06:10 PM, brian wrote:

> My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
> P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
> it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that
> it apparently needs a *proprietary* plug-in to print properly.
>
> I have H-Ps installer, and everything goes OK up to the point at which
> it goes to an unspecified H-P site to download the plug-in. The
> installer then claims that the file it tried to download has an
> invalid checksum and may have been modified, and that's it, the
> program exits. Substantially the same thing happens if I use hp-plugin
> outside of the installer, it just tells me that it can't download the
> file due to an invalid checksum.
>
> H-P support are as much use as a chocolate teapot, all they will do is
> to point me back to the site where I can download the installer again.
> I have tried to point out to them that it appears to be a corrupted
> file on their website (if I believe the error message!) but it gets me
> nowhere.
>
> Anybody got any ideas before I package the printer up and send it back
> to Amazon to exchange it for another brand? I'm using 64-bit testing,
> should anyone feel that makes a difference.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian.

I think you are better off with a wifi router and a printer with an
Ethernet connection. I have an HP LaserJet PPro M-201dw that works
nicely with no problems.

--doug

Re: Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

deloptes-2
brian wrote:

> My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
> P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
> it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that
> it apparently needs a proprietary plug-in to print properly.

No idea what you are talking about, but I find this
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_professional_p1109w.html

Re: Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

Lisi Reisz
On Sunday 18 September 2016 23:30:01 [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sun, September 18, 2016 5:10 pm, brian wrote:
> > My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
> > P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
> > it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that it
> > apparently needs a *proprietary* plug-in to print properly.
> >
> > I have H-Ps installer, and everything goes OK up to the point at which
> > it goes to an unspecified H-P site to download the plug-in.
>
> Installer?  Plug-in?  Are you using CUPS?  Is the P1109w not in the CUPS
> menu?
>
> I picked up a P3015 for $150; it runs perfectly under CUPS and is the best
> printer I ever have used.  I am using the Ethernet interface.

If we are putting in plugs for other printers, then Sumsung has brilliant
support for Linux, once you get past first level support.  They have a chap
(Linux Support Department!), whose permission I have to give out his name and
contact details, who will stick with it to help until the printer/all-in-on
works in Linux, if the supplied Linux drivers don't work.  (I've always
managed to get printers going - it was an all-in-one I needed his help for.)

Lisi

Re: Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

gianluca
On 09/19/2016 08:40 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Sunday 18 September 2016 23:30:01 [hidden email] wrote:
>> On Sun, September 18, 2016 5:10 pm, brian wrote:
>>> My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
>>> P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
>>> it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that it
>>> apparently needs a *proprietary* plug-in to print properly.
>>>
>>> I have H-Ps installer, and everything goes OK up to the point at which
>>> it goes to an unspecified H-P site to download the plug-in.
>>
>> Installer?  Plug-in?  Are you using CUPS?  Is the P1109w not in the CUPS
>> menu?
>>
>> I picked up a P3015 for $150; it runs perfectly under CUPS and is the best
>> printer I ever have used.  I am using the Ethernet interface.
>
> If we are putting in plugs for other printers, then Sumsung has brilliant
> support for Linux, once you get past first level support.  They have a chap
> (Linux Support Department!), whose permission I have to give out his name and
> contact details, who will stick with it to help until the printer/all-in-on
> works in Linux, if the supplied Linux drivers don't work.  (I've always
> managed to get printers going - it was an all-in-one I needed his help for.)

Ok, but try to use them (the Samsung's printers) on Linux ARM, MIPS or
even PowerPC. Their installers are designed for x86 CPUs.

-1 to me so I tell to everybody to avoid samsung printer not seen by CUPS.

Brother's Printer has a better support to my knowledge.

--
Eurek s.r.l.                          |
Electronic Engineering                | http://www.eurek.it
p.iva 00690621206 - c.f. 04020030377  | Fax:   +39-(0)542-609212

Re: Laserjet p1109w - anyone got it working?

Brian
On Sun 18 Sep 2016 at 18:10:39 -0400, brian wrote:

> My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
> P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
> it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that
> it apparently needs a *proprietary* plug-in to print properly.
>
> I have H-Ps installer, and everything goes OK up to the point at which
> it goes to an unspecified H-P site to download the plug-in. The
> installer then claims that the file it tried to download has an
> invalid checksum and may have been modified, and that's it, the
> program exits. Substantially the same thing happens if I use hp-plugin
> outside of the installer, it just tells me that it can't download the
> file due to an invalid checksum.
>
> H-P support are as much use as a chocolate teapot, all they will do is
> to point me back to the site where I can download the installer again.
> I have tried to point out to them that it appears to be a corrupted
> file on their website (if I believe the error message!) but it gets me
> nowhere.

To be fair to HP they make it crystal clear how Linux printing support
is provided:

  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

You might want to co-operate with the process and report your problem as
a question if it persists.

> Anybody got any ideas before I package the printer up and send it back
> to Amazon to exchange it for another brand? I'm using 64-bit testing,
> should anyone feel that makes a difference.

1. Go to

     https://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/

   and download the latest *.run.

2. 'mkdir plugin' and move your file into it.

3. The file is a shell script containing needed plugins and other files.
   Make it executable with 'chmod 755 *.run' and look at its help with
   './*.run -h'.

4. Check what you are going to install by using './*.run --tar vxf' to
   extract the files from the script.

5. Install with './*.run'. Only this final step needs root privilege.

Brian.

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 08:22:35 +0200, deloptes wrote:

>brian wrote:
>
>> My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
>> P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
>> it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that
>> it apparently needs a proprietary plug-in to print properly.
>
>No idea what you are talking about, but I find this
>http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_professional_p1109w.html

Yes, that's the page I started from - and if you work through it all,
you will find that this particular printer is one of the models that
apparently needs an additional plug-in to work, and the file is
corrupted according to the software which you download from the URL
which you posted.

Brian.

On Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 08:59:53 +0200, gianluca wrote:

> On 09/19/2016 08:40 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >
> >If we are putting in plugs for other printers, then Sumsung has brilliant
> >support for Linux, once you get past first level support.  They have a chap
> >(Linux Support Department!), whose permission I have to give out his name and
> >contact details, who will stick with it to help until the printer/all-in-on
> >works in Linux, if the supplied Linux drivers don't work.  (I've always
> >managed to get printers going - it was an all-in-one I needed his help for.)
> >

> Ok, but try to use them (the Samsung's printers) on Linux ARM, MIPS or even
> PowerPC. Their installers are designed for x86 CPUs.
>
> -1 to me so I tell to everybody to avoid samsung printer not seen by CUPS.
>
> Brother's Printer has a better support to my knowledge.

Debian packages software which has a free licence for Brother printers
and, of course, it would be available for the architectures you mention.
Printers which have software with a non-free licence (and the there are
quite a few which fall into that category) is not packaged and users
will generally employ Brother's installation software to get their
printers going.

TTBOMK the installers (as .debs) are i386 only and there is no source
code for a filter they contain. So the situation is really no better
than at Samsung.

Re: Laserjet p1109w - FIXED

brian-2
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:34:33 +0100, Brian wrote:

>On Sun 18 Sep 2016 at 18:10:39 -0400, brian wrote:
>
>> My dear old Laserjet 5N finally having died, I bought an HP Laserjet
>> P1109w to replace it. I have managed to install it to the extent that
>> it's recognised (USB connection, not wireless) but the problem is that
>> it apparently needs a *proprietary* plug-in to print properly.
>>
>> I have H-Ps installer, and everything goes OK up to the point at which
>> it goes to an unspecified H-P site to download the plug-in. The
>> installer then claims that the file it tried to download has an
>> invalid checksum and may have been modified, and that's it, the
>> program exits. Substantially the same thing happens if I use hp-plugin
>> outside of the installer, it just tells me that it can't download the
>> file due to an invalid checksum.
>>
>> H-P support are as much use as a chocolate teapot, all they will do is
>> to point me back to the site where I can download the installer again.
>> I have tried to point out to them that it appears to be a corrupted
>> file on their website (if I believe the error message!) but it gets me
>> nowhere.
>
>To be fair to HP they make it crystal clear how Linux printing support
>is provided:
>
>  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html
>
>You might want to co-operate with the process and report your problem as
>a question if it persists.

The installer clearly identifies the problem as a corrupted file on
H-P's (unnamed) website. But OK, I have tried it the way you suggest,
let's see whether it gets me anywhere. I had hoped that (contacting
H-P support directly) the response might have been "OK, we'll refresh
the copy of the file/checksum" (I'm assuming the checksum is taken
from an associated file) but obviously that was a fit of unwarranted
optimism.

>> Anybody got any ideas before I package the printer up and send it back
>> to Amazon to exchange it for another brand? I'm using 64-bit testing,
>> should anyone feel that makes a difference.
>
>1. Go to
>
>     https://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/
>
>   and download the latest *.run.
>
>2. 'mkdir plugin' and move your file into it.
>
>3. The file is a shell script containing needed plugins and other files.
>   Make it executable with 'chmod 755 *.run' and look at its help with
>   './*.run -h'.
>
>4. Check what you are going to install by using './*.run --tar vxf' to
>   extract the files from the script.
>
>5. Install with './*.run'. Only this final step needs root privilege.

Thank you very much, that all worked, given an extra step of removing
HPLIP and installing the version I downloaded from the URL which you
gave (the version I had installed was from the Debian repos, that one
apparently wasn't correctly detected by the plugin software). Why the
original installer couldn't refer me to that website, I have no idea.

Brian.

On Monday 19 September 2016 10:18:15 Brian wrote:
> TTBOMK the installers (as .debs) are i386 only and there is no source
> code for a filter they contain. So the situation is really no better
> than at Samsung.

Except that Samsung has really good human back-up support for x86 at least!!

Lisi

Re: Laserjet p1109w - FIXED

brian-2
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 05:56:44 -0400, I wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:34:33 +0100, Brian wrote:
>

>>1. Go to
>>
>>     https://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/
>>
>>   and download the latest *.run.
>>
>>2. 'mkdir plugin' and move your file into it.
>>
>>3. The file is a shell script containing needed plugins and other files.
>>   Make it executable with 'chmod 755 *.run' and look at its help with
>>   './*.run -h'.
>>
>>4. Check what you are going to install by using './*.run --tar vxf' to
>>   extract the files from the script.
>>
>>5. Install with './*.run'. Only this final step needs root privilege.
>

>Thank you very much, that all worked, given an extra step of removing
>HPLIP and installing the version I downloaded from the URL which you
>gave (the version I had installed was from the Debian repos, that one
>apparently wasn't correctly detected by the plugin software). Why the
>original installer couldn't refer me to that website, I have no idea.

I forgot to add - the options to try to set up the GUI resulted in
unresolved dependencies. The packages listed as missing are not in the
Debian repos, at least not under the names the software was expecting.
If you refuse the GUI options and go for an interactive setup (it's
one of the questions) then the unresolved dependencies go away.

Brian.

Re: Laserjet p1109w - FIXED

Brian
On Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 05:56:44 -0400, brian wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:34:33 +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> >1. Go to
> >
> >     https://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/
> >
> >   and download the latest *.run.
> >
> >2. 'mkdir plugin' and move your file into it.
> >
> >3. The file is a shell script containing needed plugins and other files.
> >   Make it executable with 'chmod 755 *.run' and look at its help with
> >   './*.run -h'.
> >
> >4. Check what you are going to install by using './*.run --tar vxf' to
> >   extract the files from the script.
> >
> >5. Install with './*.run'. Only this final step needs root privilege.
>
> Thank you very much, that all worked, given an extra step of removing
> HPLIP and installing the version I downloaded from the URL which you
> gave (the version I had installed was from the Debian repos, that one
> apparently wasn't correctly detected by the plugin software). Why the
> original installer couldn't refer me to that website, I have no idea.

hp-plugin is setup to go to the openprinting site for the plugin. :)

It has been some time since I used this technique so I was working
partly from memory. Step 5 was poor advice because that script would
expect a GUI with QT to be available. The situation I devised the
method for was one in which there was no X; step 5 should read

5. Make installPlugin.py executable and do './installPlugin.py'.

Another mistake is in step 1. The advice should be to download the
version of *.run corresponding with the hplip version you have.

But it is good it all worked out. You could purge the version of hplip
you now have, install from the Debian repros and install the plugin
again if you wanted.

--
Brian.
wanted.

On Sun 18 Sep 2016 at 19:29:54 -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Pick a Brother with BRScript3 (their version of PostScript), an
> ethernet port, and a duplexing feature (model name will have a D
> near the end). Should be in the $100-150 range.
>
> You can run it under CUPS with no bizarre driver downloads,
> though Brother will offer you one.

I didn't understand the final sentence first time round. After mulling
on it I still don't understand it. Any enlightenment in the offing?

Brian.

Brian wrote:

> I didn't understand the final sentence first time round. After mulling
> on it I still don't understand it. Any enlightenment in the offing?

I understand he means that you do not need additional software for scanning,
although such software is offered by the vendor (Brother).

IMO the new multifunction devices confuse a lot of people.

regards

On Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 20:22:06 +0200, deloptes wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > I didn't understand the final sentence first time round. After mulling
> > on it I still don't understand it. Any enlightenment in the offing?
>
> I understand he means that you do not need additional software for scanning,
> although such software is offered by the vendor (Brother).

He could mean that but the thread is about printing. The connection
between the two concepts is tenuous and they should not be confused.

> IMO the new multifunction devices confuse a lot of people.

Could happen. That's their problem.

Re: Laserjet p1109w - FIXED

Ralph Katz
On 09/19/2016 09:43 AM, Brian wrote:
[snip]

> hp-plugin is setup to go to the openprinting site for the plugin.
> :)
>
> It has been some time since I used this technique so I was working
> partly from memory. Step 5 was poor advice because that script
> would expect a GUI with QT to be available. The situation I devised
> the method for was one in which there was no X; step 5 should read
>
> 5. Make installPlugin.py executable and do './installPlugin.py'.
>
> Another mistake is in step 1. The advice should be to download the
> version of *.run corresponding with the hplip version you have.
>
> But it is good it all worked out. You could purge the version of
> hplip you now have, install from the Debian repros and install the
> plugin again if you wanted.

Some searching would have saved time as we discussed this printer back
in June without needing any plug-ins or non-debian software to get it
working.  I posted:

> I use the standard cups foomatic driver for your P1102w printer on
> my very similar (or identical)  HP LaserJet Professional P1109w on
> my stable/Jessie system.
>
> Browsing to localhost:631/printers shows:
>> Driver: HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Foomatic/foo2zjs-z2 (recommended)
>> (grayscale, 2-sided printing) Connection:
>> dnssd://HP%20LaserJet%20Professional%20P1109w._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
>

> [There is no 2-sided printing.]

Ralph