Left-handed version of DMZ cursor theme.

Left-handed version of DMZ cursor theme.

Марьин Денис
Hello debian community,

I noticed that although left-handed DMZ mouse cursor themes are exist (here is white https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999758/ and here is black https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999651/), they are not available via debian apt repos.
Is there any way to request maintainers for including them into official repos?

BRs,
Denis.

Re: Left-handed version of DMZ cursor theme.

Paul Wise via nm
On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:48 PM Марьин Денис wrote:

> I noticed that although left-handed DMZ mouse cursor themes are exist
> Is there any way to request maintainers for including them into official repos?

I did some investigation into this and it looks like the DMZ mouse
cursor theme was developed by openSUSE in this repository but
unfortunately doesn't appear to be maintained any more and isn't in
the new openSUSE artwork repository. So what needs to happen is that
the old repository needs to be forked into a new upstream project,
then left-handed icons can be added and once that happens Debian can
update our package to the new upstream package.

https://gitorious.org/opensuse/art
https://github.com/opensuse/artwork

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: Left-handed version of DMZ cursor theme.

Марьин Денис
Thanks for information Paul,

So, if I got it right, the very first step might be to fork https://salsa.debian.org/gnome-team/dmz-cursor-theme right?
Then left-handed cursors might be added there, and then something should happen for Debian maintainers to pick up this repo.

I am going to try forking and adding, but unfortunately I have no idea how to signal Debian guys to pick up my repo.

BRs,
Denis.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:21 PM Марьин Денис wrote:

> So, if I got it right, the very first step might be to fork https://salsa.debian.org/gnome-team/dmz-cursor-theme right?

No, that would just fork the Debian packaging, you need a new upstream
location for the DMZ cursor theme. The old location was on gitorious
in the openSUSE art repository. Looking at Repology and also at a web
search, there are a few potential upstreams (listed below), but none
of them seem very official or active and none seem to have done it
properly by forking the old openSUSE art repository. So all of them
are missing the Blender source file tango-spinner.blend, not sure if
any of the cursor images used that though. I think it is important to
keep the history of the theme by forking the old openSUSE art
repository. I note that the original author of the DMZ cursor theme is
Jakub Steiner <[hidden email]> so it would probably also be a good
idea to seek his advice on what to do about the maintenance of the DMZ
cursor theme.

https://gitorious.org/opensuse/art
https://repology.org/project/dmz-cursor-theme/packages
https://github.com/GalliumOS/dmz-cursor-theme/
https://github.com/ganwell/dmz-cursors
https://github.com/madsrh/yet-another-DMZ-cursor-theme/

> Then left-handed cursors might be added there, and then something should happen for Debian maintainers to pick up this repo.

I'm looking at the DMZ cursor theme package in Debian and I see that
there are actually already some left and right handed cursor images,
but not for all of the images. The same goes for the default GNOME
cursor theme Adwaita. Unfortunately I don't know how to make GNOME use
a left handed cursor, making the mouse left-handed instead of right
handed changes the click side but not the cursor image.

Any new cursor images should be added in the new upstream location, so
that all distros who package the DMZ cursor theme can get the new
cursor images.

In addition, all the PNG images should get deleted from the repository
and instead they should be created automatically at build time using
the rendering script, so that everyone gets the source SVGs and knows
that they can modify them and re-render the cursor images.

> I am going to try forking and adding, but unfortunately I have no idea how to signal Debian guys to pick up my repo.

Once there is a new upstream location for development of the DMZ
cursor theme, then you can file a bug against the Debian
dmz-cursor-theme package asking for it to use the new upstream. Then
also do the same thing for the other packages listed on Repology so
everyone gets the new theme.

PS: I note that GNOME no longer uses the DMZ cursor theme so I expect
the Debian GNOME team would orphan the package and leave updating it
to someone who uses it.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: Left-handed version of DMZ cursor theme.

Марьин Денис
Hello colleagues,
I asked Jacub, he answered that he didn't touch DMZ theme for ages and does not remember where it was hosted. So at a first glance I wanted to just create repo on Github and start there from scratch taking SVGs from current Debian packaging.

The major issue is absence of animated spinner anywhere in SVGs, I guess it must be the mentioned tango-spinner.blender.

So right now I seem to be stuck with this, as I don't have required artistic skills.

On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 12:48 +0300, Марьин Денис wrote:

> I asked Jacub, he answered that he didn't touch DMZ theme for ages
> and does not remember where it was hosted. So at a first glance I
> wanted to just create repo on Github and start there from scratch
> taking SVGs from current Debian packaging.

I suggest forking the gitorious opensuse art repo instead, so that you
keep the history of the upstream project.

> The major issue is absence of animated spinner anywhere in SVGs, I
> guess it must be the mentioned tango-spinner.blender.

That is available in the gitorious opensuse art repo.

> So right now I seem to be stuck with this, as I don't have required
> artistic skills.

Probably you can skip needing artistic skills by just adding some code
to the build process to flip the right handed cursors horizontally.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: Left-handed version of DMZ cursor theme.

Марьин Денис
>>I suggest forking the gitorious opensuse art repo instead, so that you
>>keep the history of the upstream project.
Here I have a doubt whether the whole art repo is needed for cursors package, it looks like overkill to me. What if I just mention that "this was pulled from OpenSUSE repo at ... etc." in Readme?

Another thing which I doubt is that maybe left-handed cursors is feature not needed to community as after so many years of evolution it is not yet in repos already...

On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 13:18 +0300, Марьин Денис wrote:

> Here I have a doubt whether the whole art repo is needed for cursors
> package, it looks like overkill to me. What if I just mention that
> "this was pulled from OpenSUSE repo at ... etc." in Readme?

You would only be able to keep the history if you fork the whole repo.
After the fork delete all the other files and git move the DMZ files to
the top level of the new git repository.

> Another thing which I doubt is that maybe left-handed cursors is
> feature not needed to community as after so many years of evolution
> it is not yet in repos already...

I think it is more that the DMZ cursor theme is no longer maintained
and no longer used by GNOME by default.

I also think that even though the new GNOME Adwaita cursor theme has
left-handed cursors, GNOME doesn't appear to have the ability to use
them any more. The same goes for MATE, the GNOME 2 fork. Changing the
mouse to left-handed doesn't change the cursor icons even after logout.

So I think that left-handed people must either be using the standard
right-handed cursors or be manually changing their cursor theme to
entirely separate left-handed cursor themes.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: Left-handed version of DMZ cursor theme.

Марьин Денис
I am using XFCE, and here "reversing mouse buttons" act is completely independent of cursor theme. I guess GNOME and MATE behave the same in this regard.

Regarding presence of left-handed cursors in Adwaita theme -- actually I investigated this, and no, there is no left-handed version of it, it just contains the left arrow for special actions in GUI, but the whole theme is still right-handed. If there were left-handed version of Adwaita I would probably just use it. But the fact is that in repo there is only "comixcursors-lefthanded" left-handed theme available, and this one is a bit, ahmmm, blurry.

Thanks for advice on how to do forking, I will try to go this way.

BRs,
Denis.

On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 14:50 +0300, Марьин Денис wrote:

> Thanks for advice on how to do forking, I will try to go this way.

Thanks for the info, good luck :)

Happy to check your work or provide further advice if needed.