Linux Journal epub files

Marc Shapiro-3
I have Linux Journal in epub format up through June of 2018.  I didn't
grab the others as they became available and by the time I realized that
LJ was closing permanently, the archives were no longer working.  Does
anyone know where I can find the newer issues (7/18 through end of
publication) in epub format?

Marc

Re: Linux Journal epub files

Richard Owlett-3
On 09/08/2019 02:55 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I have Linux Journal in epub format up through June of 2018.  I didn't
> grab the others as they became available and by the time I realized that
> LJ was closing permanently, the archives were no longer working.  Does
> anyone know where I can find the newer issues (7/18 through end of
> publication) in epub format?

Have you tried the Wayback Machine
http://archive.org/web/web.php

Re: Linux Journal epub files

Curt
On 2019-09-09, Richard Owlett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/08/2019 02:55 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>> I have Linux Journal in epub format up through June of 2018.  I didn't
>> grab the others as they became available and by the time I realized that
>> LJ was closing permanently, the archives were no longer working.  Does
>> anyone know where I can find the newer issues (7/18 through end of
>> publication) in epub format?
>>

> Have you tried the Wayback Machine
> http://archive.org/web/web.php

Doesn't appear to have anything past 2017?

https://archive.org/details/linuxjournalmagazine#

There's a 804 MB zip archive (though I believe it's the html):

ftp://45.79.14.179/LinuxJournalIssues/secure2.linuxjournal.com/ljarchive/

--
Thug: This is a stickup! Now come on. Your money or your life.
[long pause]
Jack Benny: I'm thinking, I'm thinking!

Re: Linux Journal epub files

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2019 08 Sep 14:56 -0500, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I have Linux Journal in epub format up through June of 2018.  I didn't grab
> the others as they became available and by the time I realized that LJ was
> closing permanently, the archives were no longer working.  Does anyone know
> where I can find the newer issues (7/18 through end of publication) in epub
> format?

Some of the commenters to the last post:

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-journal-ceases-publication-awkward-goodbye

were writing about hosting an archive.  I'm not sure if any of them did.

I did manage to grab all of the available PDF files and then grabbed
everything in HTML for good measure in my personal archive.  I could
pass along the needed PDF files if that would help you.  Note that I
have no expressed permission from Linux Journal to do so.

I just tried the supposed no login required link from LJ in the comments
but that link appears to be dead now.

- Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: Linux Journal epub files

Marc Shapiro-3
On 9/9/19 5:15 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * On 2019 08 Sep 14:56 -0500, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>> I have Linux Journal in epub format up through June of 2018.  I didn't grab
>> the others as they became available and by the time I realized that LJ was
>> closing permanently, the archives were no longer working.  Does anyone know
>> where I can find the newer issues (7/18 through end of publication) in epub
>> format?
> Some of the commenters to the last post:
>
> https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-journal-ceases-publication-awkward-goodbye
>
> were writing about hosting an archive.  I'm not sure if any of them did.
>
> I did manage to grab all of the available PDF files and then grabbed
> everything in HTML for good measure in my personal archive.  I could
> pass along the needed PDF files if that would help you.  Note that I
> have no expressed permission from Linux Journal to do so.
>
> I just tried the supposed no login required link from LJ in the comments
> but that link appears to be dead now.
>
> - Nate

I tried to get the items from the archives suggested by other posters,
but did not find epubs.  The no login required link from LJ was dead by
the time I got to it.  It died fast.  That is why I have this issue.  I
suppose filling in those last few issues with pdfs may be my only answer.

Marc

Re: Linux Journal epub files

Steve Petruzzello
Le 09-09-2019, à 08:00:49 -0700, Marc Shapiro a écrit :

>I tried to get the items from the archives suggested by other posters,
>but did not find epubs.  The no login required link from LJ was dead
>by the time I got to it.  It died fast.  That is why I have this
>issue.  I suppose filling in those last few issues with pdfs may be my
>only answer.

Have you tried this: https://linuxjournal.rocks/digital.html

Re: Linux Journal epub files

Mattia Oss-3

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 08:00:49 -0700, Marc Shapiro [hidden email] wrote:
I tried to get the items from the archives suggested by other posters, but did not find epubs.  The no login required link from LJ was dead by the time I got to it.  It died fast.  That is why I have this issue.  I suppose filling in those last few issues with pdfs may be my only answer.

Marc

https://files.linuxjournal.rocks/epub/

I can download them.

Re: Linux Journal epub files

Marc Shapiro-3

On 9/9/19 9:25 AM, Mattia wrote:

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 08:00:49 -0700, Marc Shapiro [hidden email] wrote:
I tried to get the items from the archives suggested by other posters, but did not find epubs.  The no login required link from LJ was dead by the time I got to it.  It died fast.  That is why I have this issue.  I suppose filling in those last few issues with pdfs may be my only answer.

Marc

https://files.linuxjournal.rocks/epub/

I can download them.

Thank you, Steve and Mattia.  I had not found that site, but it was exactly what I needed.  I grabbed the last year of epubs and pdfs for 2005 to 2011.  I have most of the hardcopy back to August of 2000, but these are a lot easier to carry.

Thanks again,

Marc

Re: Linux Journal epub files

Jonathan Dowland-6
On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 07:15:16AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>I did manage to grab all of the available PDF files and then grabbed
>everything in HTML for good measure in my personal archive.  I could
>pass along the needed PDF files if that would help you.  Note that I
>have no expressed permission from Linux Journal to do so.

That's a kind offer, Nate. In the event that archive.org do *not* have
these all already (and I'm trying to verify), then it would be best IMHO
to arrange to get the PDFs to them. I can facilitate that, if you want.
Please contact me off-list if you are happy to proceed.

--
👱🏻 Jonathan Dowland
✎    [hidden email]
🔗 https://jmtd.net

Re: Linux Journal epub files

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2019 11 Sep 11:28 -0500, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 07:15:16AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > I did manage to grab all of the available PDF files and then grabbed
> > everything in HTML for good measure in my personal archive.  I could
> > pass along the needed PDF files if that would help you.  Note that I
> > have no expressed permission from Linux Journal to do so.
>
> That's a kind offer, Nate. In the event that archive.org do *not* have
> these all already (and I'm trying to verify), then it would be best IMHO
> to arrange to get the PDFs to them. I can facilitate that, if you want.
> Please contact me off-list if you are happy to proceed.
Are the files unavailable from the link Steve gave in this thread?  It
looks like even that is changing and redirects to
https://linuxjournal.rocks/issue-archive  The base URL now is a CRM and
actually has a new post dated Tuesday.

I'm not sure who is running it and it seems to be tied to GitHub (has a
Fork Me link).

Anyway, I'd be glad to share what I grabbed.  Just let me know.