Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Dean Valentine
I have installed three operating systems on this computer: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. None of them had any problems detecting and using my "Network Manager: Qualcomm Atheros 003e", and it shows up on lspci, but when the Debian graphic installer attempts to do this, it fails and tells me "No Ethernet Card" detected. I've attempted to use the ISO you've provided for me with propryetary firmware bundled into it here: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/, but that couldn't find it either. It's unusual because I see (or at least I think I see) my drivers listed, and when i select them manually

What's going on? How do I get this to work? Obviously there are linux drivers out there for Debian to use with my machine, they're just not in Debian's isos for some reason.

Thank you for your time. I love your work.

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Johann Spies-6

On 15 March 2017 at 06:57, Dean Valentine <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have installed three operating systems on this computer: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. None of them had any problems detecting and using my "Network Manager: Qualcomm Atheros 003e", and it shows up on lspci, but when the Debian graphic installer attempts to do this, it fails and tells me "No Ethernet Card" detected. I've attempted to use the ISO you've provided for me with propryetary firmware bundled into it here: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/, but that couldn't find it either. It's unusual because I see (or at least I think I see) my drivers listed, and when i select them manually

What's going on? How do I get this to work? Obviously there are linux drivers out there for Debian to use with my machine, they're just not in Debian's isos for some reason.

Thank you for your time. I love your work.

There is a package "firmware-atheros" .

If I were you i would install it.  Maybe that will solve your problem.

Regards
Johann

Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Jimmy Johnson-8
On 03/14/2017 09:57 PM, Dean Valentine wrote:

> I have installed three operating systems on this computer: Linux Mint,
> Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. None of them had any problems detecting and using
> my "Network Manager: Qualcomm Atheros 003e", and it shows up on lspci, but
> when the Debian graphic installer attempts to do this, it fails and tells
> me "No Ethernet Card" detected. I've attempted to use the ISO you've
> provided for me with propryetary firmware bundled into it here:
> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/, but that couldn't
> find it either. It's unusual because I see (or at least I think I see) my
> drivers listed, and when i select them manually
>
> What's going on? How do I get this to work? Obviously there are linux
> drivers out there for Debian to use with my machine, they're just not in
> Debian's isos for some reason.
>
> Thank you for your time. I love your work.

Hi,

You didn't read that page.  Here's the link you want:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
Good luck.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Stretch - KDE Plasma 5.8.4 - AMD64 - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Tim Ye

On 2017-03-15 07:57+0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> On 15 March 2017 at 06:57, Dean Valentine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have installed three operating systems on this computer: Linux Mint,
> > Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. None of them had any problems detecting and using
> > my "Network Manager: Qualcomm Atheros 003e", and it shows up on lspci, but
> > when the Debian graphic installer attempts to do this, it fails and tells
> > me "No Ethernet Card" detected. I've attempted to use the ISO you've
> > provided for me with propryetary firmware bundled into it here:
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/, but that
> > couldn't find it either. It's unusual because I see (or at least I think I
> > see) my drivers listed, and when i select them manually
> >
> > What's going on? How do I get this to work? Obviously there are linux
> > drivers out there for Debian to use with my machine, they're just not in
> > Debian's isos for some reason.
> >
> > Thank you for your time. I love your work.
> >

> There is a package "firmware-atheros" .

You may want to add 'non-free' in your 'source.list' file.  My
'/etc/apt/sources.list' looks like this:

    deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free
    deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free

    deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free

    # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
    deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free

Reference:

http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian

> If I were you i would install it.  Maybe that will solve your problem.
>
> Regards
> Johann
>

> --
> Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
> my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)

Thanks,

- Tim

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Davor Balder

On 15/03/17 20:01, Tim Ye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2017-03-15 07:57+0200, Johann Spies wrote:
>> On 15 March 2017 at 06:57, Dean Valentine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have installed three operating systems on this computer: Linux Mint,
>>> Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. None of them had any problems detecting and using
>>> my "Network Manager: Qualcomm Atheros 003e", and it shows up on lspci, but
>>> when the Debian graphic installer attempts to do this, it fails and tells
>>> me "No Ethernet Card" detected. I've attempted to use the ISO you've
>>> provided for me with propryetary firmware bundled into it here:
>>> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/, but that
>>> couldn't find it either. It's unusual because I see (or at least I think I
>>> see) my drivers listed, and when i select them manually
>>>
>>> What's going on? How do I get this to work? Obviously there are linux
>>> drivers out there for Debian to use with my machine, they're just not in
>>> Debian's isos for some reason.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your time. I love your work.
>>>
>> There is a package "firmware-atheros" .
> You may want to add 'non-free' in your 'source.list' file.  My
> '/etc/apt/sources.list' looks like this:
>
>      deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free
>      deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free
>
>      deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free
>      deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free
>
>      # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
>      deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
>      deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
>
> Reference:
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian

Yes - the above line would do it.

once you alter your sources.list do:

apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-atheros

We hope that should solve your issue and you should be able to continue
enjoying Debian.

>> If I were you i would install it.  Maybe that will solve your problem.
>>
>> Regards
>> Johann
>>

>> --
>> Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
>> my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)
> Thanks,
>
> - Tim

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Dean Valentine
I don't have debian installed on my computer yet, nor can I access the internet with it (because my wifi is down) so i don't understand how I would install the non-free package?

Hi,

On 2017-03-15 07:57+0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On 15 March 2017 at 06:57, Dean Valentine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have installed three operating systems on this computer: Linux Mint,
> > Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. None of them had any problems detecting and using
> > my "Network Manager: Qualcomm Atheros 003e", and it shows up on lspci, but
> > when the Debian graphic installer attempts to do this, it fails and tells
> > me "No Ethernet Card" detected. I've attempted to use the ISO you've
> > provided for me with propryetary firmware bundled into it here:
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/, but that
> > couldn't find it either. It's unusual because I see (or at least I think I
> > see) my drivers listed, and when i select them manually
> >
> > What's going on? How do I get this to work? Obviously there are linux
> > drivers out there for Debian to use with my machine, they're just not in
> > Debian's isos for some reason.
> >
> > Thank you for your time. I love your work.
> >

> There is a package "firmware-atheros" .

You may want to add 'non-free' in your 'source.list' file.  My
'/etc/apt/sources.list' looks like this:

    deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free
    deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free

    deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free

    # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
    deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free

Reference:

http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian

> If I were you i would install it.  Maybe that will solve your problem.
>
> Regards
> Johann
>

> --
> Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
> my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)

Thanks,

- Tim

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Pete Orrall
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Dean Valentine
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't have debian installed on my computer yet, nor can I access the
> internet with it (because my wifi is down) so i don't understand how I would
> install the non-free package?

Hi Dean,

You'll have to install Debian from one of the non-free images first.
That should have your desired firmware.  Another user posted the
non-free page earlier, but in case you didn't see it here it is below:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Good luck.

--
Pete Orrall
[hidden email]
www.peteorrall.com
"If there isn't a way, I'll make one."

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Peter Hillier-Brook
On 15/03/17 14:45, Dean Valentine wrote:
> I don't have debian installed on my computer yet, nor can I access the
> internet with it (because my wifi is down) so i don't understand how I
> would install the non-free package?

This may help you.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.7.1+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/

firmware-8.7.1-amd64-netinst.iso

Peter HB

>     Hi,
>
>     On 2017-03-15 07:57+0200, Johann Spies wrote:
>     > On 15 March 2017 at 06:57, Dean Valentine <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     >
>     > > I have installed three operating systems on this computer: Linux Mint,
>     > > Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. None of them had any problems detecting and using
>     > > my "Network Manager: Qualcomm Atheros 003e", and it shows up on lspci, but
>     > > when the Debian graphic installer attempts to do this, it fails and tells
>     > > me "No Ethernet Card" detected. I've attempted to use the ISO you've
>     > > provided for me with propryetary firmware bundled into it here:
>     > > https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/
>     <https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/>, but that
>     > > couldn't find it either. It's unusual because I see (or at least I think I
>     > > see) my drivers listed, and when i select them manually
>     > >
>     > > What's going on? How do I get this to work? Obviously there are linux
>     > > drivers out there for Debian to use with my machine, they're just not in
>     > > Debian's isos for some reason.
>     > >
>     > > Thank you for your time. I love your work.
>     > >
>     >
>     > There is a package "firmware-atheros" .
>
>     You may want to add 'non-free' in your 'source.list' file.  My
>     '/etc/apt/sources.list' looks like this:
>
>         deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free
>         deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free
>
>         deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free
>         deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free
>
>         # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
>         deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
>         deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
>
>     Reference:
>
>     http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian
>     <http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian>
>
>     >
>     > If I were you i would install it.  Maybe that will solve your problem.
>     >
>     > Regards
>     > Johann
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > --
>     > Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
>     > my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     - Tim

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Nicholas Geovanis-2
Is it just me, or are the "unofficial" images hard to get to? For example the FAQ says "Sometimes, someone is kind enough to create unofficial non-free CDs. If you cannot find any links on this website, you can try asking on the debian-cd mailing list." Yet there is no link there to the unofficial pages. Yes Google finds them....

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>         # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
>         deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
>         deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
>
>     Reference:
>
>     http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian
>     <http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian>
>
>     >
>     > If I were you i would install it.  Maybe that will solve your problem.
>     >
>     > Regards
>     > Johann
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > --
>     > Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
>     > my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)

Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

David Wright-3
(Posted to debian-www as well.)

On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 12:21:14 (-0500), Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> Is it just me, or are the "unofficial" images hard to get to? For example
> the FAQ says "Sometimes, someone is kind enough to create unofficial
> non-free CDs. If you cannot find any links on this website, you can try
> asking on the debian-cd mailing list." Yet there is no link there to the
> unofficial pages. Yes Google finds them....

You are not alone. The problem as I see it is that it's easy to find
this page:

https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

on which three options are given. When you click on an architecture,
the 2nd and 3rd options take you to directory pages. However, the
(most popular?) first option has ISO links¹ which you certainly don't
want to click on if you're playing by the rules.

If you copy the ISO link (right click it) into a browser's address bar
and rubout the ISO name itself, you'll get to (for i386):

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/

This difficult-to-find page will not only satisfy those searching for
SHA sums, but it also has a paragraph headed:

Non-free Firmware

which gives you a link to firmware-inclusive versions, daily/weekly
builds etc etc.

¹ Bad design IMO. They ought to take you to
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/<architecture>/iso-cd/
This page has links which make it obvious what they're pointing to—
huge files!

Cheers,
David.

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Pete Orrall
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Nicholas Geovanis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it just me, or are the "unofficial" images hard to get to?

Nicholas, I agree with you there.  I don't know if it's intentional
but the links to the unofficial images do seem rather hidden.

--
Pete Orrall
[hidden email]
www.peteorrall.com
"If there isn't a way, I'll make one."

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Brian
On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 14:48:48 -0400, Pete Orrall wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Nicholas Geovanis
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is it just me, or are the "unofficial" images hard to get to?
>
> Nicholas, I agree with you there.  I don't know if it's intentional
> but the links to the unofficial images do seem rather hidden.

Are they really "Hidden"? Or just not as prominent. The Installation
Guide gives a link. Someone installing Debian surely would read that?

Anyway - some bedtime reading:

  https://lwn.net/Articles/655519/

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anyway - some bedtime reading:
  https://lwn.net/Articles/655519/

Thanks for that, a meeting report from Debian maintainer Steve McIntyre on this very subject from Debconf 2015 is linked from there:  https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/08/msg00622.html

And it turns-out I did not imagine it:
"We already provide *unofficial* non-free versions of installer and live images on cdimage.debian.org, but we've been deliberately not advertising these as well as the normal main images. This means that a lot of users don't find them."

Re: Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Brian
On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 13:44:39 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> (Posted to debian-www as well.)
>
> On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 12:21:14 (-0500), Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > Is it just me, or are the "unofficial" images hard to get to? For example
> > the FAQ says "Sometimes, someone is kind enough to create unofficial
> > non-free CDs. If you cannot find any links on this website, you can try
> > asking on the debian-cd mailing list." Yet there is no link there to the
> > unofficial pages. Yes Google finds them....
>
> You are not alone. The problem as I see it is that it's easy to find
> this page:
>
> https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

It is also just as easy to find

 https://www.debian.org/CD/

and then

 https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

which leads to

 http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/

without any right clicking or rubbing out.

> on which three options are given. When you click on an architecture,
> the 2nd and 3rd options take you to directory pages. However, the
> (most popular?) first option has ISO links¹ which you certainly don't
> want to click on if you're playing by the rules.

What rules are these?

> If you copy the ISO link (right click it) into a browser's address bar
> and rubout the ISO name itself, you'll get to (for i386):
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/
>
> This difficult-to-find page will not only satisfy those searching for
> SHA sums, but it also has a paragraph headed:

It is shown above that it is not difficult to find.

The netinst ISO is hardly huge.

On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 20:27:08 (+0000), Brian wrote:

> On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 13:44:39 -0500, David Wright wrote:
>
> > (Posted to debian-www as well.)
> >
> > On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 12:21:14 (-0500), Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > > Is it just me, or are the "unofficial" images hard to get to? For example
> > > the FAQ says "Sometimes, someone is kind enough to create unofficial
> > > non-free CDs. If you cannot find any links on this website, you can try
> > > asking on the debian-cd mailing list." Yet there is no link there to the
> > > unofficial pages. Yes Google finds them....
> >
> > You are not alone. The problem as I see it is that it's easy to find
> > this page:
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
>
> It is also just as easy to find
>
>  https://www.debian.org/CD/

Well, let's see how you get to the first of these two pages (call it
A) from Debian's home page. The first principal paragraph on the home
page starts:

        "Getting Started

"If you'd like to start using Debian, you can easily obtain a copy,
and then follow the installation instructions to install it."

What's more natural than to click on "obtain a copy".
Then you see "Download an installation image" and click on that,
to arrive at:

https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

In contrast, to get to the other page (B), you have to read through
the menu options (in fine print), and _not_ click on "Network Install"
(which would take you straight to A), but choose the next item,
"CD/USB ISO images". When hovering over that link, the sight of
"https://www.debian.org/CD/" might cause people to avoid it
because they don't want to burn a CD.

> and then
>
>  https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

Shame about the heading, no mention of USB images. Now scroll down
that page, and avoid clicking on the "network install" link (although
that might be your aim). Keep going to the paragraph headed CDs, with
the architecture links. No mention of USB here.

> which leads to
>
>  http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/
>
> without any right clicking or rubbing out.

That's right. Page B is a better route to take, but the links to it
are less prominent, and less clearly labelled for someone who wants to
install over the net rather than burn or purchase CDs.

But irrespective of that, it would be sensible to make it as easy to
get from page A to http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/
without any right clicking or rubbing out, in the event that you get
drawn down this path. Whether that's a small proportion of people or a
large one seems irrelevant.

> > on which three options are given. When you click on an architecture,
> > the 2nd and 3rd options take you to directory pages. However, the
> > (most popular?) first option has ISO links¹ which you certainly don't
> > want to click on if you're playing by the rules.
>
> What rules are these?

read the first paragraph. The one that's boxed, shaded and
has a lightbulb to draw attention to it:

"Please do not download CD or DVD images with your web browser the way
you download other files! The reason is that if your download aborts,
most browsers do not allow you to resume from the point where it failed."

> > If you copy the ISO link (right click it) into a browser's address bar
> > and rubout the ISO name itself, you'll get to (for i386):
> >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/
> >
> > This difficult-to-find page will not only satisfy those searching for
> > SHA sums, but it also has a paragraph headed:
>
> It is shown above that it is not difficult to find.

Relatively it is, if you have been seduced down the path to page A.

> > Non-free Firmware
> >
> > which gives you a link to firmware-inclusive versions, daily/weekly
> > builds etc etc.
> >
> > ¹ Bad design IMO. They ought to take you to
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/<architecture>/iso-cd/
> > This page has links which make it obvious what they're pointing to—
> > huge files!
>
> The netinst ISO is hardly huge.

A reasonable test is "Can I email it? No? Then it's huge". And there's
no warning by the link of its size.

A lot of people who need firmware are likely to download the other
one first, so you can double its size on that score.

Cheers,
David.

Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

Davor Balder

Do you have access to ethernet port from your machine?

If so, Debian installer *should* (in most cases) work with that until you install what you need to get WiFi working. In fact, that is how most of my recent Debian installs went...

On 2017-03-15 07:57+0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On 15 March 2017 at 06:57, Dean Valentine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have installed three operating systems on this computer: Linux Mint,
> > Ubuntu, and Arch Linux. None of them had any problems detecting and using
> > my "Network Manager: Qualcomm Atheros 003e", and it shows up on lspci, but
> > when the Debian graphic installer attempts to do this, it fails and tells
> > me "No Ethernet Card" detected. I've attempted to use the ISO you've
> > provided for me with propryetary firmware bundled into it here:
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/, but that
> > couldn't find it either. It's unusual because I see (or at least I think I
> > see) my drivers listed, and when i select them manually
> >
> > What's going on? How do I get this to work? Obviously there are linux
> > drivers out there for Debian to use with my machine, they're just not in
> > Debian's isos for some reason.
> >
> > Thank you for your time. I love your work.
> >

> There is a package "firmware-atheros" .

You may want to add 'non-free' in your 'source.list' file.  My
'/etc/apt/sources.list' looks like this:

    deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free
    deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie main non-free

    deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main non-free

    # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free
    deb-src http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ jessie-updates main non-free

Reference:

http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian

> If I were you i would install it.  Maybe that will solve your problem.
>
> Regards
> Johann
>

> --
> Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
> my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)

Thanks,

- Tim

Re: Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

GiaThnYgeia

Brian:
> It is also just as easy to find
>  https://www.debian.org/CD/
> and then
>  https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
> which leads to
>  http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/

But he already mentioned this link

> without any right clicking or rubbing out.
> What rules are these?
> It is shown above that it is not difficult to find.
> The netinst ISO is hardly huge.

Do you have anything to offer to the discussion or is it just bitter
criticism to others' questions?

And what are you so defensive about, criticism of poorly organized
information and poorly documented software?  The chaotic nature of these
systems comes from the chaotic system of development.  Most of the tiny
parts that make the whole thing work are developed by programmers whose
expertise on the tiny details prevent them from being able to
communicate the importance to the rest of the users (some are other
developers).  Are there segments of this chaotic hierarchy that
outsiders can understand?  Under each piece of code sits a tremendous
hierarchy and the next block up makes this hierarchy look minute.

If you can offer a hint in solving someone's problem because you know
better fine.  To criticism someone because they haven't read 2000
zillion pages of debian manuals to know what you do is ludicrous.

 "The most violent element in society is ignorance" rEG

On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 23:21:12 (-0400), Carl Fink wrote:
> Not everyone has access to wired networks. I don't, to name just one
> example of a person who does not. My last Debian install, I had to
> use USB networking over my mobile phone to download non-free wifi
> chipset firmware.

That's neat. What do I need to know to do that?
(My problem is that I have to go through the
ndiswrapper rigmarole before I can use my
wifi dongle.)

Cheers,
David.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't have debian installed on my computer yet, nor can I access the
> internet with it (because my wifi is down) so i don't understand how I would
> install the non-free package?

Hi Dean,

You'll have to install Debian from one of the non-free images first.
That should have your desired firmware.  Another user posted the
non-free page earlier, but in case you didn't see it here it is below:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Good luck.

--
Pete Orrall
[hidden email]
www.peteorrall.com
"If there isn't a way, I'll make one."
I installed the netinst non-free ISO to a boot drive and I still got the "no ethernet card was detected" message. Does that mean the wifi on this computer isn't supported?
12