Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Juan R. de Silva
Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get buggy
as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.

I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure thing is not
capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That is, the font
size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next post or to another
group.

Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not care
about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet newsgroups. Plain
text reading.

Thanks

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Patrick Bartek-2
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 04:05:47 -0000 (UTC)
"Juan R. de Silva" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get buggy
> as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.
>
> I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure thing is not
> capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That is, the font
> size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next post or to another
> group.
>
> Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not care
> about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet newsgroups. Plain
> text reading.

Claws-mail besides being a text-based only email client can also access
NNTP news accounts, too. Although, I've never done so.  Abandoned NNTP
and pan a year ago.

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Paul Sutton-2

On 17/02/2019 06:51, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 04:05:47 -0000 (UTC)
> "Juan R. de Silva" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get buggy
>> as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.
>>
>> I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure thing is not
>> capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That is, the font
>> size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next post or to another
>> group.
>>
>> Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not care
>> about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet newsgroups. Plain
>> text reading.
> Claws-mail besides being a text-based only email client can also access
> NNTP news accounts, too. Although, I've never done so.  Abandoned NNTP
> and pan a year ago.

You can configure Thunderbird to use plain text (compose and send) and
also set it up so it treats html as text and not display all the
internal content,  logos, pictures and other nonsense people insist on
sending, sometimes replying to an html e-mail results in the reply being
html unless you set it up or notice.

No idea what happens at the other end, causes all sorts of issues at
both ends as it is.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D

On 17/02/2019 04:05, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get buggy
> as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.
>
> I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure thing is not
> capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That is, the font
> size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next post or to another
> group.
>
> Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not care
> about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet newsgroups. Plain
> text reading.
>
> Thanks

Would be interested in what people are using for NNTP services, as there
are not as many out there now,  probably lots of newsgroups but less
ISPs offering this as a service.

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net
https://www.linkedin.com/in/zleap/
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 09:04:56AM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:

[...]

> Would be interested in what people are using for NNTP services, as there
> are not as many out there now,  probably lots of newsgroups but less
> ISPs offering this as a service.

  https://www.eternal-september.org/

As far as an NNTP client is concerned... gnus, of course.

Cheers
-- t

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

hdv@gmail
On 17/02/2019 05.05, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get buggy
> as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.
>
> I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure thing is not
> capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That is, the font
> size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next post or to another
> group.
>
> Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not care
> about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet newsgroups. Plain
> text reading.

For text-only groups I use mutt.

Grx HdV

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Erik Christiansen
On 17.02.19 10:16, hdv@gmail wrote:
> On 17/02/2019 05.05, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> > Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not care
> > about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet newsgroups. Plain
> > text reading.
>
> For text-only groups I use mutt.

Which patchset do you use to enable that? (And is there any doco on the
set-up?)

Erik

On 17/02/2019 11.58, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 17.02.19 10:16, hdv@gmail wrote:
>> On 17/02/2019 05.05, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>>> Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not care
>>> about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet newsgroups. Plain
>>> text reading.
>>
>> For text-only groups I use mutt.
>
> Which patchset do you use to enable that? (And is there any doco on the
> set-up?)

If my memory serves me well I always just used the version taken from the Debian
repository. Nowadays that would be neomutt.

Maybe you can use this page for the set up?

https://neomutt.org/feature/nntp

Grx HdV

On 17.02.19 12:07, hdv@gmail wrote:

> On 17/02/2019 11.58, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> >>
> >> For text-only groups I use mutt.
> >
> > Which patchset do you use to enable that? (And is there any doco on the
> > set-up?)
>
> If my memory serves me well I always just used the version taken from the Debian
> repository. Nowadays that would be neomutt.
>
> Maybe you can use this page for the set up?
>
> https://neomutt.org/feature/nntp

Many thanks. I'll have to think about a switch from mutt to neomutt.

Erik

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2019 17 Feb 03:10 -0600, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 09:04:56AM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Would be interested in what people are using for NNTP services, as there
> > are not as many out there now,  probably lots of newsgroups but less
> > ISPs offering this as a service.
>
>   https://www.eternal-september.org/
>
> As far as an NNTP client is concerned... gnus, of course.
How can it be configured to show all headers both read and unread even
after leaving and coming back to a group?  This is my gripe about most
newsreaders where the default is trim the headers list aggressively.

The news server I used in the past was news.aioe.org and it is still
online.

I just installed Pan on Buster and it picked up where I'd left off well
over a year and a half ago.  I did adjust the body and monospace fonts
to Hack regular and other than the preferences dialog being spread
across 1.5 of my two screens and not responding to resizing, I don't see
it failing in a 30 second test.

- Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: http://www.n0nb.us  GPG key: D55A8819  GitHub: N0NB

* On 2019 17 Feb 05:22 -0600, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> Many thanks. I'll have to think about a switch from mutt to neomutt.

I've been using neomutt for quite some time mostly so I could customize
the MIME header colors.  No complaints.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 22:51:04 -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 04:05:47 -0000 (UTC)
> "Juan R. de Silva" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get buggy
>> as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.
>>
>> I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure thing is
>> not capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That is, the
>> font size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next post or
>> to another group.
>>
>> Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not
>> care about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet
>> newsgroups. Plain text reading.
>
> Claws-mail besides being a text-based only email client can also access
> NNTP news accounts, too. Although, I've never done so.  Abandoned NNTP
> and pan a year ago.

And may I ask you what do you use to follow this very maillist?

Thank you

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Tixy-2
On Sun, 2019-02-17 at 14:47 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 22:51:04 -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 04:05:47 -0000 (UTC)
> > "Juan R. de Silva" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get
> > > buggy
> > > as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.
> > >
> > > I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure
> > > thing is
> > > not capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That
> > > is, the
> > > font size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next
> > > post or
> > > to another group.
> > >
> > > Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I
> > > do not
> > > care about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet
> > > newsgroups. Plain text reading.
> >
> > Claws-mail besides being a text-based only email client can also
> > access
> > NNTP news accounts, too. Although, I've never done so.  Abandoned
> > NNTP
> > and pan a year ago.

> And may I ask you what do you use to follow this very maillist?

Erm, he probably uses a email client to follow this email list like I
guess a lot (most?) people do, usenet newsgroups are a different thing
to email. Though I understand from other posts here over the years that
there are services that present mailing lists like these and newsgroups
.

Tixy

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Patrick Bartek-2
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 14:47:11 -0000 (UTC)
"Juan R. de Silva" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 22:51:04 -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 04:05:47 -0000 (UTC)
> > "Juan R. de Silva" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get buggy
> >> as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.
> >>
> >> I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure thing is
> >> not capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That is, the
> >> font size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next post or
> >> to another group.
> >>
> >> Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not
> >> care about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet
> >> newsgroups. Plain text reading.
> >
> > Claws-mail besides being a text-based only email client can also access
> > NNTP news accounts, too. Although, I've never done so.  Abandoned NNTP
> > and pan a year ago.

> And may I ask you what do you use to follow this very maillist?
>
> Thank you

Claws-mail.  I don't follow it on NNTP as some do.  All you have to do
to recieve the list via email is subscribe.

On Sun, 2019-02-17 at 15:56 +0000, Tixy wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-02-17 at 14:47 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
[...]
> > And may I ask you what do you use to follow this very maillist?
>
> Erm, he probably uses a email client to follow this email list like I
> guess a lot (most?) people do, usenet newsgroups are a different thing
> to email. Though I understand from other posts here over the years that
> there are services that present mailing lists like these and newsgroups.

That last line should have read...
there are services that present mailing lists like these as newsgroups.

And Juan, I see from the email headers for your posts that you are
using one of those services, namely Gmane.

Tixy

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Patrick Bartek-2
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:12:37 +0000
Paul Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/02/2019 06:51, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 04:05:47 -0000 (UTC)
> > "Juan R. de Silva" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Pan newsreader,which I used happily for several years, lately get buggy
> >> as hell and cannot be used any longer at all.
> >>
> >> I tried Thunderbird from Debian repo and found that the pure thing is not
> >> capable to keep a uniform font size through all posts. That is, the font
> >> size changes as soon as I try to advance either to a next post or to another
> >> group.
> >>
> >> Can your share with me what do you use for newsgroups reading. I do not care
> >> about binaries. All I want to follow several Linux usenet newsgroups. Plain
> >> text reading.
> > Claws-mail besides being a text-based only email client can also access
> > NNTP news accounts, too. Although, I've never done so.  Abandoned NNTP
> > and pan a year ago.

> You can configure Thunderbird to use plain text (compose and send) and
> also set it up so it treats html as text and not display all the
> internal content,  logos, pictures and other nonsense people insist on
> sending, sometimes replying to an html e-mail results in the reply being
> html unless you set it up or notice.

Why go to all that trouble?  Claws does all that by default.  An
html email displays as plain text.  No code. However, there is a
plugin html interpreter if you need must see the html version in all its
wasteful, artsy-fartsy glory.

As far as I can tell, replying to an html email with Claws results in
the reply being sent plain text only.

> No idea what happens at the other end, causes all sorts of issues at
> both ends as it is.

I don't know either, but I've never had anyone, even MS Outlook users,
complain they can't read my emails.

Re: Looking for advise to replacy Pan newsreader

Siard
Patrick Bartek:

> Juan R. de Silva:
> > Patrick Bartek:
> > > Claws-mail besides being a text-based only email client can also
> > > access NNTP news accounts, too. Although, I've never done so.
> > > Abandoned NNTP and pan a year ago.
> >
> > And may I ask you what do you use to follow this very maillist?
>
> Claws-mail.  I don't follow it on NNTP as some do.  All you have to do
> to recieve the list via email is subscribe.

Your headers, however, indicate that you follow it through newsgroup
gmane.linux.debian.user.

[OT] NNTP and SMTP Headers (was: Re: Looking for advise to replac Pan newsreader)

Reco
        Hi.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 05:30:48PM +0100, Siard wrote:

> Patrick Bartek:
> > Juan R. de Silva:
> > > Patrick Bartek:
> > >
> > > And may I ask you what do you use to follow this very maillist?
> >
> > Claws-mail.  I don't follow it on NNTP as some do.  All you have to do
> > to recieve the list via email is subscribe.
>
> Your headers, however, indicate that you follow it through newsgroup
> gmane.linux.debian.user.

Can you elaborate which SMTP headers in particular led you to this
conclusion please?

Because all I saw in that e-mail was pretty typical for GMail user using
Claws-Mail as MUA.

PS Mutt and headers editing. Need to be more careful next time.

Reco

Re: [OT] NNTP and SMTP Headers (was: Re: Looking for advise to replac Pan newsreader)

Siard
Reco:

> Siard:
> > Patrick Bartek:
> > > Juan R. de Silva:

> > > Claws-mail.  I don't follow it on NNTP as some do.  All you have to
> > > do to recieve the list via email is subscribe.
> >
> > Your headers, however, indicate that you follow it through newsgroup
> > gmane.linux.debian.user.
>
> Can you elaborate which SMTP headers in particular led you to this
> conclusion please?
>
> Because all I saw in that e-mail was pretty typical for GMail user using
> Claws-Mail as MUA.

Oops, I guess I am mistaken.
I follow this list through gmane myself.
So this is one of the headers I see in Patrick's message:

Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.user

But that header is in _every_ message in the list...

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 06:10:41PM +0100, Siard wrote:

> Reco:
> > Siard:
> > > Patrick Bartek:

> > > Your headers, however, indicate that you follow it through newsgroup
> > > gmane.linux.debian.user.
> >
> > Can you elaborate which SMTP headers in particular led you to this
> > conclusion please?
> >
> > Because all I saw in that e-mail was pretty typical for GMail user using
> > Claws-Mail as MUA.
>
> Oops, I guess I am mistaken.
> I follow this list through gmane myself.
> So this is one of the headers I see in Patrick's message:
>
> Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.user
>
> But that header is in _every_ message in the list...

Oh, now I see it.
Your e-mails have "X-Injected-Via-Gmane: http://gmane.org/".
Us, plain SMTP users, lack it.

Reco