Looking on how to contribute to the Debian Java Packaging Team

Looking on how to contribute to the Debian Java Packaging Team

ARMANDO FERREIRA LEE ENG
Hi,

Happy Friday to all of you! I hope you are doing pretty well.

My name is Armando Ferreira, I'm a Java Software Engineer that works at Mountain View, CA. I have been using Debian since college as my main OS, since that time I always wanted to contribute to the community but I was too young and without experience. Now that I'm still using Debian for my daily basis and have more experience in my career, I want to ask is there an opportunity for a new comer to start contributing to Debian. Maybe start maintaining some simple packages?

Let me know if there something I can help with it 🙂

Best Regards,
Armando Ferreira

Re: Looking on how to contribute to the Debian Java Packaging Team

Hans-Christoph Steiner-2
Hey Armando,

Thanks for your interest and welcome!  There are many ways to jump into
Java packaging.  One way is to go through the bug reports and try
confirming them and fixing them.  Right now Debian/buster is in the
release freeze, so it is a great time to fix bugs for the upcoming release.

Other ways are to search the bug tracker for "RFPs" Requests for
Packaging and try packaging some of those.  Or you can look for packages
that could be updated, and update them.  Here's the overview:

https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=pkg-java-maintainers%40lists.alioth.debian.org

One specific project we could use help with is getting Kotlin into Debian.

.hc

ARMANDO FERREIRA LEE ENG:

> Hi,
>
> Happy Friday to all of you! I hope you are doing pretty well.
>
> My name is Armando Ferreira, I'm a Java Software Engineer that works at Mountain View, CA. I have been using Debian since college as my main OS, since that time I always wanted to contribute to the community but I was too young and without experience. Now that I'm still using Debian for my daily basis and have more experience in my career, I want to ask is there an opportunity for a new comer to start contributing to Debian. Maybe start maintaining some simple packages?
>
> Let me know if there something I can help with it 🙂
>
> Best Regards,
> Armando Ferreira

Re: Looking on how to contribute to the Debian Java Packaging Team

Eugene Zhukov-3
Hi Armando,

As mentioned we are in freeze now, so please go ahead and help fix/test some
of release critical bugs:
https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/debian/main.html

Another way to start would be to install and run how-can-i-help package.

If you have some gradle experience you could help me with this:
https://bugs.debian.org/905267

Thanks for reaching out!
Eugene

Re: Looking on how to contribute to the Debian Java Packaging Team

Andreas Tille-5

On Sat, Apr 06, 2019 at 01:23:49PM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Hey Armando,
>
> Thanks for your interest and welcome!

+1

> There are many ways to jump into
> Java packaging.  One way is to go through the bug reports and try
> confirming them and fixing them.  Right now Debian/buster is in the
> release freeze, so it is a great time to fix bugs for the upcoming release.

Possibly a simple one is #923749 [1].

I'm personally not a Java programmer but to topic I'm covering contains
lots of Java software.  That's why I'm frequently asking for help as I
did here:

   https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2019/04/msg00017.html

So feel free to clone the just created Git repository I've linked to
and check why the JAR is not created any more.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=923749#22

--