Main server ja translation on manual : prioritize installer .po

Main server ja translation on manual : prioritize installer .po

hoxp18
To: Debian Edu team
CC: Debian ja translators (debian-Japanese ML)

Greeting.

I've considered about "main server" ja candidates
for Debian Edu Buster manual during my translation.

There are a problem of mismatched translation.

Current Situation
=================

* installer uses "主サーバ"@ja = "main server"@en

#. Type: multiselect
#. Choices
#. __Choices: Main-Server, Workstation, Roaming-Workstation,
LTSP-Server, Standalone, Minimal
#: ../debian-edu-profile-udeb.templates:2001
msgid "Main Server"
msgstr "主サーバ"

* the manual uses "中心サーバ"@ja != "main server"@en.
   It rather means "center/central server"@en.

   I don't know the reason.
   Some Japanese prefer the manual expression,
   Some other prefer the installer expression.

My suggestion
=============

Unify those terms "主サーバー"@ja or "メインサーバー"@ja,
both means "main server"@en; it's just differences between
katakana and kanji.

IMHO "メインサーバー"@ja (= "主サーバ"@ja.installer.po) would be
better, but also think changing installer.po so soon
may make things more complicated.

So, at first I'll attempt to unify them as "主サーバー"@ja in
both installer (and other components) po file(s) and the manual.

(add omitted prolonged sound symbol (I'll call it OPSS) at its tail;
  more natural expression in "2019" Japan)

Reasons
-------

* The installer .po has longer history.

* "main server" is only one in Debian Edu system.

* "main server" could have "standby server" for fault tolerance
   and/or load balance purpose in the future (as an option), I hope.

   I guess it may make the Debian Edu system more widely used.

   In that occasion,
   "主サーバー" allows terms like "standby server" translation easier.
   e.g.) "副サーバー"@ja and/or "代替サーバー"@ja.

Comments
---------

I've not noticed about installer Japanese display,
since I usually prefer expert mode installation in English.

Summary
========

* I'll try to create and send a diff patch for installer .po for OPSSs.

   I should make them for the other components .po files, too.

* I'll edit the manual to change "中心サーバ"@ja
   into "主サーバー"@ja.installer.po-with-OPSS-patch.

   The reason is described above. More detail, please read the thread
   https://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2019/05/msg00020.html

If you have any suggestion, please tell me.

Regards.

Re: Main server ja translation on manual : prioritize installer .po

victory.deb
最初に断っておきます
何度も言ってますが-edu関連の作業を今後やるつもりは一切ありません
poファイル冒頭のクレジットも消していいなら消してくれると助かるとすら思ってますから
連絡も不要なので改善になると思ったように*勝手に*やってください

weblate内で注釈とか何かやったところでほぼ誰も見てないので
基本的には反映させる処理までやった方が良い
問題があれば戻せるしそのためのVCS
失敗を怖がる必要は無いよ

wikiの原文についてはレビューされてないので絶対視するのはやめた方が良いと忠告しておきます
過去にdebian-l10n-english@で(ry)はありますが大昔の話です

MLですがdebian関連の日本語ネタについてはor.jpの方使った方が良いです
-japanese@は一般人()は基本誰も見てませんので

On Sat, 11 May 2019 09:38:47 +0900
hoxp18 wrote:

> #: ../debian-edu-profile-udeb.templates:2001
> msgid "Main Server"
> msgstr "主サーバ"
> * the manual uses "中心サーバ"@ja != "main server"@en.
>    It rather means "center/central server"@en.

そこがポイントですね
こいつはeduシステム群で唯一、中心となる特定の1台を指すもの
当初eduインスコラー翻訳の存在知らずにやってたんだけど
「「主サーバ」の方が良い」とは思わなかったのでマニュアルについては自分の案でそのまま統一した
msg00020.htmlにあった候補だと中央くらいですかね自分が選ぶなら

> IMHO "メインサーバー"@ja (= "主サーバ"@ja.installer.po) would be
> better, but also think changing installer.po so soon
> may make things more complicated.
> So, at first I'll attempt to unify them as "主サーバー"@ja in
> both installer (and other components) po file(s) and the manual.
> (add omitted prolonged sound symbol (I'll call it OPSS) at its tail;
>   more natural expression in "2019" Japan)

カタカナ語の連続は目が滑るので入ってこないんですよね
日本語ぽく読めるだけでいいとは自分は思わないので
これに限らずできる限りそうしないようにやってる

いずれにせよ何か置き換えるなら当該po全体を同時にやることをおすすめします

--
victory
no need to CC me :-)

Re: Main server ja translation on manual : prioritize installer .po

hoxp18
To: victory and Debian Japanese team
Cc: Debian Edu team

Thank you for giving me nice advice, victory.

Though I did most part and sent a patch for installer's .po,
I also knew Debian Japanese team's translation policy
has explicit rules to omit some prolonged sound symbols.

Perhaps my patch is not good for Debian Japanese society,
since it breaks the rule.

So, Debian Edu team, please ignore my .po patch.

It is about the installer image's translation,
and obviously I broke the rule. Apology for this.

On 5/11/19 3:52 PM, victory wrote:

> On Sat, 11 May 2019 09:38:47 +0900
> hoxp18 wrote:
>
>> #: ../debian-edu-profile-udeb.templates:2001
>> msgid "Main Server"
>> msgstr "主サーバ"
>> * the manual uses "中心サーバ"@ja != "main server"@en.
>>     It rather means "center/central server"@en.
>
> そこがポイントですね
> こいつはeduシステム群で唯一、中心となる特定の1台を指すもの
> 当初eduインスコラー翻訳の存在知らずにやってたんだけど
> 「「主サーバ」の方が良い」とは思わなかったのでマニュアルについては自分の案でそのまま統一した
> msg00020.htmlにあった候補だと中央くらいですかね自分が選ぶなら

As victory said, perhaps Japanese users/developers/translators
may have different choices for the "main server"'s ja term.

I myself not sure about which term be proper now.

I said I prefer katakana form, but now am thinking "中央" (= "central")
sounds nice, just as victory proposed.

I leave the current manual with "主サーバ" simply because the
installer uses that term.

I'll fix the prolonged sound symbols ASAP, too.

I guess next week's generated Debian Edu Buster Japanese manual
also uses the term, which mean the terms in the installer and
the manual matches; whether it is proper or not.

Meanwhile, I'll concentrate checking the Debian Edu Buster
Japanese manual.

Again, thank you, victory.

Regards.