Mate desktop delay

Frank McCormick-3

I am running Debian Sid/Buster and the Mate desktop. For the last 4 or 5
  weeks there has been a delay of perhaps 30-40 seconds before the
desktop appears. I have looked at dmsg logs and journalctl logs but
nothing seems to stand out.

A year or more ago Mate users had a similar problem - at that time as I
recall it had something to do with the system entropy for random
numbers. Anybody recall this? Could it be back ?

Frank McCormick

Re: Mate desktop delay

Anuradha Weeraman
On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 11:52:50PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> I am running Debian Sid/Buster and the Mate desktop. For the last 4 or 5
> weeks there has been a delay of perhaps 30-40 seconds before the desktop
> appears. I have looked at dmsg logs and journalctl logs but nothing seems to
> stand out.
>
> A year or more ago Mate users had a similar problem - at that time as I
> recall it had something to do with the system entropy for random numbers.
> Anybody recall this? Could it be back ?

Coincidentally, there has been some conversation on LKML recently about
an issue with getrandom() lacking entropy causing boot hangs. Interesting
read here:

https://lwn.net/Articles/800509/

Getting back to your issue, you may want to try this out and see if
it works:

# apt install haveged
# systemctl enable haveged
# systemctl start haveged

Have a look at this:

https://handyman.dulare.com/long-linux-boot-time-haveged-to-help/

--
Regards
Anuradha

Re: Mate desktop delay

Frank McCormick-3

On 10/14/19 8:08 AM, Anuradha Weeraman wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 11:52:50PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
>> I am running Debian Sid/Buster and the Mate desktop. For the last 4 or 5
>> weeks there has been a delay of perhaps 30-40 seconds before the desktop
>> appears. I have looked at dmsg logs and journalctl logs but nothing seems to
>> stand out.
>>
>> A year or more ago Mate users had a similar problem - at that time as I
>> recall it had something to do with the system entropy for random numbers.
>> Anybody recall this? Could it be back ?
>
> Coincidentally, there has been some conversation on LKML recently about
> an issue with getrandom() lacking entropy causing boot hangs. Interesting
> read here:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/800509/

Interesting article.

> Getting back to your issue, you may want to try this out and see if
> it works:
>
> # apt install haveged
> # systemctl enable haveged
> # systemctl start haveged

This was the solution the last time this happened and it's still part
of the system here.

I find it strange the random bug does not delay boot time in my case,
but apparently does delay the appearance of the desktop after GDM.

Frank McCormick

Re: Mate desktop delay

songbird
Frank McCormick wrote:
> I find it strange the random bug does not delay boot time in my case,
> but apparently does delay the appearance of the desktop after GDM.

  i'm running MATE from testing with lightdm, and haven't
experienced this problem ever.  i have had a few boot and
shutdown delays by something hanging, but it wasn't the
desktop (and that hasn't happened for some time now).

  songbird

Re: Mate desktop delay

Frank McCormick-3

On 10/14/19 11:13 AM, songbird wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
>> I find it strange the random bug does not delay boot time in my case,
>> but apparently does delay the appearance of the desktop after GDM.
>
>    i'm running MATE from testing with lightdm, and haven't
> experienced this problem ever.  i have had a few boot and
> shutdown delays by something hanging, but it wasn't the
> desktop (and that hasn't happened for some time now).
>

>    songbird

    After taking a closer look at the systemd journal
I found this line which seems to be the culprit.

gnome-keyring-daemon[31822]: couldn't set environment variable in
session: Timeout was reached

The delay is 10 to 15 seconds..which matches more or less the time
stamps before and after.

Does anybody have a clue which this is about ?

Frank McCormick

Re: Mate desktop delay

Frank McCormick-3

On 10/14/19 11:19 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On 10/14/19 11:13 AM, songbird wrote:
>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>> I find it strange the random bug does not delay boot time in my case,
>>> but apparently does delay the appearance of the desktop after GDM.
>>
>>    i'm running MATE from testing with lightdm, and haven't
>> experienced this problem ever.  i have had a few boot and
>> shutdown delays by something hanging, but it wasn't the
>> desktop (and that hasn't happened for some time now).
>>

>>    songbird
>>

>     After taking a closer look at the systemd journal
> I found this line which seems to be the culprit.
>

> gnome-keyring-daemon[31822]: couldn't set environment variable in
> session: Timeout was reached
>
> The delay is 10 to 15 seconds..which matches more or less the time
> stamps before and after.
>
> Does anybody have a clue which this is about ?

   It's a semi-known bug in the gnome-keyring. #941675 . Don't know
what's being done about it.

--
Frank McCormick