Messages After Updating

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Messages After Updating

SDA-2
Good Time of Day:

After updating and Debian-Goodies telling me which services need to be
restarted, I've always been puzzled by these messages:

Debian-gdm on /dev/tty7 is running obsolete gnome-session-b[785],
gnome-settings-[1015], gnome-shell[794]
stephen on /dev/tty2 is running obsolete blueman-applet[1316],
chrome[1660,1672,1677,1766,1779,1780,1783,1788,1808,1811,1817,1833,1849,1863,1873,1877,1890,1899,1916,14495],
evolution-addre[1523], evolution-calen[1432], evolution-sourc[1229],
gnome-session-b[1080], gnome-settings-[1150], gnome-shell[1200],
gnome-terminal-[1424], goa-daemon[1236], goa-identity-se[1253],
gsd-printer[1203], gvfs-goa-volume[1295], liferea[1338],
mission-control[1257], nautilus[1356], soffice.bin[1450],
zeitgeist-datah[1360]

Does this mean that the above need to be restarted, therefore one should
logout and back in? The term 'obsolete' confuses this user.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Messages After Updating

Andrea Vettorello

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 2:24 AM, Stephen Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Does this mean that the above need to be restarted, therefore one should
logout and back in? The term 'obsolete' confuses this user.

I suppose that's the meaning, at least is similar to the output used by the needrestart package; to be honest needrestart prints "uses obsolete binary"...


--
Andrea
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Messages After Updating

SDA-2
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 10:08:00AM +0100, Andrea Vettorello wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 2:24 AM, Stephen Allen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Does this mean that the above need to be restarted, therefore one should
> > logout and back in? The term 'obsolete' confuses this user.
> >
>
> I suppose that's the meaning, at least is similar to the output used by the
> need-restart package; to be honest needrestart prints "uses obsolete
> binary"...

 
Thanks for the reply Andrea. So if 'check-restart' tells me it wants to
restart certain services, and does, are these console messages
superfluous?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Messages After Updating

Andrea Vettorello

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Stephen Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the reply Andrea. So if 'check-restart' tells me it wants to
restart certain services, and does, are these console messages
superfluous?

Unless for bugs in the way the binaries are compared I think the the warnings in the console are correct, GDM and gnome-session are not restarted when you are still logged in and I'm confident no applications are automatically restarted without user intervention during upgrades.

--
Andrea