Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Beco

Hi guys,

When I open this website:


Every "9" is written as a dash "-". If you look for any event year for the current year you (well, at least me) will see 201-

I'm not sure how this come to be. I tried to look at the "html page source" to detect what font it uses, but I saw no explanation there.

Some time ago I remember removing A LOT of fonts I don't need from my computer (mostly not-latin). So maybe I removed something I shouldn't.

I tried with firefox and google chrome, both the same results. I installed back
fonts-ibm-plex and fonts-noto-core to test, but still no "9" at the page.

I thought maybe it was a site problem, but when I used virtualbox and chrome over windows 10, the "9" was there.

I changed the default font from firefox to "liberartion sans" but no luck.

Not sure how to proceed. What is the mystery?

My best,

Bèco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Larry Martell
On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 5:32 PM Beco <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hi guys,
>
> When I open this website:
>
> https://chess-results.com/
>
> Every "9" is written as a dash "-". If you look for any event year for the current year you (well, at least me) will see 201-
>
> I'm not sure how this come to be. I tried to look at the "html page source" to detect what font it uses, but I saw no explanation there.
>
> Some time ago I remember removing A LOT of fonts I don't need from my computer (mostly not-latin). So maybe I removed something I shouldn't.
>
> I tried with firefox and google chrome, both the same results. I installed back
> fonts-ibm-plex and fonts-noto-core to test, but still no "9" at the page.
>
> I thought maybe it was a site problem, but when I used virtualbox and chrome over windows 10, the "9" was there.
>
> I changed the default font from firefox to "liberartion sans" but no luck.
>
> Not sure how to proceed. What is the mystery?

There are many font finder apps. I use the WhatFont Chrome extension.
That page looks to be entirely in Verdana.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Michael Lange-2
Hi,

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 17:39:24 -0400
Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:


>
> There are many font finder apps. I use the WhatFont Chrome extension.
> That page looks to be entirely in Verdana.
>

that depends on which fonts you have installed, according to the style
sheet the requested font for the body is one of:

        "Segoe UI", Verdana, "Lucida Grande", Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif;

however in the section "für die Turnierdatenbank" (tournament database)
there is only

        FONT-FAMILY: "Lucida Grande", Verdana, Helvetica;

Maybe this is the problem (although I would be surprised to learn that
neither firefox nor chrome can handle this)? Anyway, installing
ttf-mscorefonts-installer might be worth a try.


Regards

Michael


.-.. .. ...- .   .-.. --- -. --.   .- -. -..   .--. .-. --- ... .--. . .-.

There's a way out of any cage.
                -- Captain Christopher Pike, "The Menagerie" ("The Cage"),
                   stardate unknown.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

(solved) Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Beco

Dear Michael,

You got it right:

[...]
        "Segoe UI", Verdana, "Lucida Grande", Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif;

however in the section "für die Turnierdatenbank" (tournament database)
there is only

        FONT-FAMILY: "Lucida Grande", Verdana, Helvetica;

Maybe this is the problem (although I would be surprised to learn that
neither firefox nor chrome can handle this)? Anyway, installing
> ttf-mscorefonts-installer might be worth a try.

Regards
Michael


Installing: 

# apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

solved the mystery.

Thanks.

Att.,
Beco

 


--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (solved) Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Nicolas George-4
Beco (12019-10-21):
> Installing:
>
> # apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
>
> solved the mystery.

No, it hid it.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (solved) Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Beco


On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 06:37, Nicolas George <[hidden email]> wrote:
Beco (12019-10-21):
> Installing:
>
> # apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
>
> solved the mystery.

No, it hid it.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George


Hello Nicolas,

Yes, you are right, from the point of view of whoever is the webmaster.

But as I'm just a user in this case, it is solved in my end.

I'll send an email to the webmaster to let them know about the problem.
Though I have no hopes, and no intention to follow up.

Thanks,

Beco




--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (solved) Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Nicolas George-4
Beco (12019-10-22):
> > > solved the mystery.

> But as I'm just a user in this case, it is solved in my end.

No it is not: as long as you do not know what caused it, you cannot
pretend to have solved the *mystery*. At most, you may have solved the
*problem*, but most likely it will be back in similar circumstances.

> I'll send an email to the webmaster to let them know about the problem.
> Though I have no hopes, and no intention to follow up.

I am pretty certain the problem is not on their side.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Beco
In reply to this post by Michael Lange-2
Hi guys,

A while ago I started this thread.

After installing tt-mscorefonsts-installer I wrote a new email with the subject "solved" on it.

Guess I was wrong. The problem persists, now it looks like the problem is Helvetica.

I found this link:


I don't use chrome, I use firefox. But it appears that the problem happens in both browsers.

Still a mystery.

Maybe I messed up my system fonts. I wonder if there is a way to clean all fonts and the the system back to its original set of fonts from the installation.

Any clue on how to do that?

My best,

Bèco




On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 19:04, Michael Lange <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 17:39:24 -0400
Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:


>
> There are many font finder apps. I use the WhatFont Chrome extension.
> That page looks to be entirely in Verdana.
>

that depends on which fonts you have installed, according to the style
sheet the requested font for the body is one of:

        "Segoe UI", Verdana, "Lucida Grande", Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif;

however in the section "für die Turnierdatenbank" (tournament database)
there is only

        FONT-FAMILY: "Lucida Grande", Verdana, Helvetica;

Maybe this is the problem (although I would be surprised to learn that
neither firefox nor chrome can handle this)? Anyway, installing
ttf-mscorefonts-installer might be worth a try.


Regards

Michael


.-.. .. ...- .   .-.. --- -. --.   .- -. -..   .--. .-. --- ... .--. . .-.

There's a way out of any cage.
                -- Captain Christopher Pike, "The Menagerie" ("The Cage"),
                   stardate unknown.



--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Dan Ritter-4
Beco wrote:

> Guess I was wrong. The problem persists, now it looks like the problem is
> Helvetica.
>
> I found this link:
>
> https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/2120514?hl=en
>
> I don't use chrome, I use firefox. But it appears that the problem happens
> in both browsers.
>
> Still a mystery.


Open up the offending page in Firefox. Find a paragraph where
the 9 is missing.

Use the three-bar menu, Web Developer, Inspector. That should
open up a debugging console underneath the webpage.

On the left of the debugging console you should see a tree of
HTML elements. When you mouse over them, they will be
highlighted and so will the relevant portion of the page. Some
parts of the tree might be folded down into triangles, which you
can open up.

Find the smallest element that contains the 9. Click on it in
the tree to select it.

Now look over at the right side of the debugging console.
There's a Fonts tab. It will show you the precise font being
used.

That is your culprit. Tell us and we'll see if we can help you
remove it.

-dsr-

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Beco


On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 20:03, Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Beco wrote:
> Guess I was wrong. The problem persists, now it looks like the problem is
> Helvetica.
>
> I found this link:
>
> https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/2120514?hl=en
>
> I don't use chrome, I use firefox. But it appears that the problem happens
> in both browsers.
>
> Still a mystery.


Open up the offending page in Firefox. Find a paragraph where
the 9 is missing.

Use the three-bar menu, Web Developer, Inspector. That should
open up a debugging console underneath the webpage.

On the left of the debugging console you should see a tree of
HTML elements. When you mouse over them, they will be
highlighted and so will the relevant portion of the page. Some
parts of the tree might be folded down into triangles, which you
can open up.

Find the smallest element that contains the 9. Click on it in
the tree to select it.

Now look over at the right side of the debugging console.
There's a Fonts tab. It will show you the precise font being
used.

That is your culprit. Tell us and we'll see if we can help you
remove it.

-dsr-


Thanks Dan,

Did that. Still Lucida Grande.

I failed to install this font like 3 times from 3 different download sites.

Any official debian solution to it?

Thanks.

Dr. Bèco



--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Dan Ritter-4
Beco wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 20:03, Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Beco wrote:
> > > Guess I was wrong. The problem persists, now it looks like the problem is
> > > Helvetica.
> > >
> > > I found this link:
> > >
> > > https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/2120514?hl=en
> > >
> > > I don't use chrome, I use firefox. But it appears that the problem
> > happens
> > > in both browsers.
> > >
> > > Still a mystery.
> >
> >
> > Open up the offending page in Firefox. Find a paragraph where
> > the 9 is missing.
> >
> > Use the three-bar menu, Web Developer, Inspector. That should
> > open up a debugging console underneath the webpage.
> >
> > On the left of the debugging console you should see a tree of
> > HTML elements. When you mouse over them, they will be
> > highlighted and so will the relevant portion of the page. Some
> > parts of the tree might be folded down into triangles, which you
> > can open up.
> >
> > Find the smallest element that contains the 9. Click on it in
> > the tree to select it.
> >
> > Now look over at the right side of the debugging console.
> > There's a Fonts tab. It will show you the precise font being
> > used.
> >
> > That is your culprit. Tell us and we'll see if we can help you
> > remove it.
> >
> > -dsr-
> >
>
>
> Thanks Dan,
>
> Did that. Still Lucida Grande.
>
> I failed to install this font like 3 times from 3 different download sites.
>
> Any official debian solution to it?


Let's try substitution at the X11 layer.

This syntax in your ~/.fonts.conf will change the response for one
font into an answer from another:

<alias>
 <family>Lucida Grande</family>
 <prefer>
  <family>DejaVu Sans</family>
 </prefer>
</alias>

Add as many stanzas as you like; then run fc-cache and restart
your application.

-dsr-

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Beco
Dear Dan,

Yes, this test indeed solved the "9" becoming a dash.

I could let that as is, but after many years using linux I learned that the less you personalize your system, the less headache you will have in the future.

So, how can I undo some probable mistake in my system and get it back to what it is like when first installed?

Is there a debian package for Lucida Grande. I know I've tried to install many out-of-repositories alternatives for Lucida Grande that I'm willing to remove them all.

Thanks,

Béco




On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 at 12:58, Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Beco wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 20:03, Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Beco wrote:
> > > Guess I was wrong. The problem persists, now it looks like the problem is
> > > Helvetica.
> > >
> > > I found this link:
> > >
> > > https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/2120514?hl=en
> > >
> > > I don't use chrome, I use firefox. But it appears that the problem
> > happens
> > > in both browsers.
> > >
> > > Still a mystery.
> >
> >
> > Open up the offending page in Firefox. Find a paragraph where
> > the 9 is missing.
> >
> > Use the three-bar menu, Web Developer, Inspector. That should
> > open up a debugging console underneath the webpage.
> >
> > On the left of the debugging console you should see a tree of
> > HTML elements. When you mouse over them, they will be
> > highlighted and so will the relevant portion of the page. Some
> > parts of the tree might be folded down into triangles, which you
> > can open up.
> >
> > Find the smallest element that contains the 9. Click on it in
> > the tree to select it.
> >
> > Now look over at the right side of the debugging console.
> > There's a Fonts tab. It will show you the precise font being
> > used.
> >
> > That is your culprit. Tell us and we'll see if we can help you
> > remove it.
> >
> > -dsr-
> >
>
>
> Thanks Dan,
>
> Did that. Still Lucida Grande.
>
> I failed to install this font like 3 times from 3 different download sites.
>
> Any official debian solution to it?


Let's try substitution at the X11 layer.

This syntax in your ~/.fonts.conf will change the response for one
font into an answer from another:

<alias>
 <family>Lucida Grande</family>
 <prefer>
  <family>DejaVu Sans</family>
 </prefer>
</alias>

Add as many stanzas as you like; then run fc-cache and restart
your application.

-dsr-


--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Dan Ritter-4
Beco wrote:

> Yes, this test indeed solved the "9" becoming a dash.
>
> I could let that as is, but after many years using linux I learned that the
> less you personalize your system, the less headache you will have in the
> future.
>
> So, how can I undo some probable mistake in my system and get it back to
> what it is like when first installed?
>
> Is there a debian package for Lucida Grande. I know I've tried to install
> many out-of-repositories alternatives for Lucida Grande that I'm willing to
> remove them all.

Sorry, there is not. Lucida Grande is a variant of Lucida Sans that
Apple commissioned and holds the copyright on.

It's very likely that one of those out-of-repo alternatives is
causing your problem; left to its own devices, the X11 font
system will look for a reasonable match when it doesn't have
precisely the font asked for. The fontconfig trick that I showed
you is the proper way to inform it of a user preference; it is
probably overriding something claiming to be Lucida Grande but
with a poor excuse for a 9 glyph.

Remove all the alternatives, and it should cope well enough.


-dsr-

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

(solved - part 2) Re: Missing a "9" (possible font missing)

Beco


On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 at 18:32, Dan Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Beco wrote:
> Yes, this test indeed solved the "9" becoming a dash.
>
> I could let that as is, but after many years using linux I learned that the
> less you personalize your system, the less headache you will have in the
> future.
>
> So, how can I undo some probable mistake in my system and get it back to
> what it is like when first installed?
>
> Is there a debian package for Lucida Grande. I know I've tried to install
> many out-of-repositories alternatives for Lucida Grande that I'm willing to
> remove them all.

Sorry, there is not. Lucida Grande is a variant of Lucida Sans that
Apple commissioned and holds the copyright on.

It's very likely that one of those out-of-repo alternatives is
causing your problem; left to its own devices, the X11 font
system will look for a reasonable match when it doesn't have
precisely the font asked for. The fontconfig trick that I showed
you is the proper way to inform it of a user preference; it is
probably overriding something claiming to be Lucida Grande but
with a poor excuse for a 9 glyph.

Remove all the alternatives, and it should cope well enough.


-dsr-


Dan,

I removed all Lucida crap from my system, and then I also removed that small hack from
~/.fonts.conf

It is working ok now.

It is using an automatic alternative in the absence of Lucida Grande.
I can't say exactly what font it is using, but it is probably  what is configured as firefox default (Dejavu Sans).

(That trick with firefox console don't show the actual font, only the one chosen by the webmaster)



So, as a (second) solution, now I would again try to finish this thread with (solved). In summary:

Do not install crap Lucida Grande fonts on your system.

If I find a better solution on days to come, I reply to this email.

Att.,

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09