Missing jessie/main s390x Packages

Joe A Fowler
The jessie/main s390x Packages seem to be missing?

Installed jessie within a Dockerfile, and the apt-get update.
Receive
Ign
http://deb.debian.orgjessie InRelease
Get:1 http://deb.debian.orgjessie-updates InRelease [7340 B]
Get:2 http://security.debian.orgjessie/updates InRelease [44.9 kB]
Get:3 http://deb.debian.orgjessie Release.gpg [2420 B]
Get:4 http://deb.debian.orgjessie Release [148 kB]
Err http://deb.debian.orgjessie/main s390x Packages

Err http://deb.debian.orgjessie/main s390x Packages

Err http://deb.debian.orgjessie/main s390x Packages
  404  Not Found
Fetched 203 kB in 3s (53.3 kB/s)
W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/debian-security/dists/jessie/updates/InRelease Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-s390x/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-s390x/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/binary-s390x/Packages 404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

This worked a few months ago, failing now with the missing packages.  When did this go away?  Was it intentional?

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say somthing" -- Plato
Joe Fowler
IBM Systems Group - Developer for Z Hyper Protect Hosting Appliance

(919)254-6664  T/L 8-444-6664

Re: Missing jessie/main s390x Packages

Dimitri John Ledkov-3
On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 at 23:06, Joe A Fowler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The jessie/main s390x Packages seem to be missing?

jessie is end of life, and moved off mirrors.

The current stable release is stretch.

You can query this info automatically with:

$ debian-distro-info --stable
stretch

Similarly for Ubuntu too.

Dimitri.

Re: Missing jessie/main s390x Packages

Joe A Fowler
Hmmmm.... I was afraid it might be something like that.  Going to stretch might be an option
depending the the gpg level... Will have to investigate.

Thank you....

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say somthing" -- Plato
Joe Fowler
IBM Systems Group - Developer for Z Hyper Protect Hosting Appliance

(919)254-6664  T/L 8-444-6664
[hidden email]

From:        Dimitri John Ledkov <[hidden email]>
To:        Joe A Fowler <[hidden email]>
Cc:        "Debian S/390 Team" <[hidden email]>
Date:        04/24/2019 06:52 PM
Subject:        Re: Missing jessie/main s390x Packages

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 00:06, Joe A Fowler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm.... I was afraid it might be something like that.  Going to stretch might be an option
> depending the the gpg level... Will have to investigate.
>
> Thank you....

Why be scared of gpg? both are provided in all the recent Ubuntu and
Debian releases, as gnupg & gnupg1 packages.

Installing gnupg1 package and using /usr/bin/gpg1 shouldn't be too
much of a stretch 😉 ? or like symlinking ~/bin/gpg to /usr/bin/gpg1
for the affected user only.

Dimitri.

Re: Missing jessie/main s390x Packages

Joe A Fowler
Thank you very much!   Will look into that!
Love the play on the word 'stretch'

Regards..

From:        Dimitri John Ledkov <[hidden email]>
To:        Joe A Fowler <[hidden email]>
Cc:        "Debian S/390 Team" <[hidden email]>
Date:        04/24/2019 07:15 PM

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 00:06, Joe A Fowler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm.... I was afraid it might be something like that.  Going to stretch might be an option
> depending the the gpg level... Will have to investigate.
>
> Thank you....

Why be scared of gpg? both are provided in all the recent Ubuntu and
Debian releases, as gnupg & gnupg1 packages.

Installing gnupg1 package and using /usr/bin/gpg1 shouldn't be too
much of a stretch 😉 ? or like symlinking ~/bin/gpg to /usr/bin/gpg1
for the affected user only.

Dimitri.

Re: Missing jessie/main s390x Packages

Joe A Fowler
The problem is we require 2.0,  and stretch is using 2.1.   1.4 is not needed.
Is there a way to install 2.0 on stretch?

From:        Dimitri John Ledkov <[hidden email]>
To:        Joe A Fowler <[hidden email]>
Cc:        "Debian S/390 Team" <[hidden email]>
Date:        04/24/2019 07:15 PM

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 00:06, Joe A Fowler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm.... I was afraid it might be something like that.  Going to stretch might be an option
> depending the the gpg level... Will have to investigate.
>
> Thank you....

Why be scared of gpg? both are provided in all the recent Ubuntu and
Debian releases, as gnupg & gnupg1 packages.

Installing gnupg1 package and using /usr/bin/gpg1 shouldn't be too
much of a stretch 😉 ? or like symlinking ~/bin/gpg to /usr/bin/gpg1
for the affected user only.

Dimitri.

Re: Missing jessie/main s390x Packages

Dimitri John Ledkov-3
Can you explain why you require 2.0 (ie. which features) and why 2.1/2.2 will not do for you?

Please note that v2.0 is EOLed by upstream at https://gnupg.org/download/index.html

One really should not be using EOLed software....

I have heard of valid reasons to stick with 1.4, but not yet for using 2.0 when 2.1/2.2 is available.

From:        Dimitri John Ledkov <[hidden email]>
To:        Joe A Fowler <[hidden email]>
Cc:        "Debian S/390 Team" <[hidden email]>
Date:        04/24/2019 07:15 PM