More problems with stalling splash screen

More problems with stalling splash screen

Mikael Nilsson
Hi!

I've seen a few reports of stalling splash screens in GNOME.

Most seem to be solvable by removing .gnome2/session. But I've got a
problem with 2.12 that was not there in 2.10 (downgrading fixes it) and
that is not affected by removing the session file.

The bug is 347615. Any advise or help to debug it is appreciated.

/Mikael

--
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Re: More problems with stalling splash screen

Luis Mondesi
if you leave the window open long enough, does it eventually go away?
(this happened to me previously).

can you remove all the scripts (startup programs) from your session?
(if any) (this also happens to get the dialog stuck forever waiting
for something to happen).

On 1/18/06, Mikael Nilsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've seen a few reports of stalling splash screens in GNOME.
>
> Most seem to be solvable by removing .gnome2/session. But I've got a
> problem with 2.12 that was not there in 2.10 (downgrading fixes it) and
> that is not affected by removing the session file.
>
> The bug is 347615. Any advise or help to debug it is appreciated.
>
> /Mikael
>

> --
> Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

----)(-----
Luis M
System Administrator
Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html

fre 2006-01-20 klockan 20:16 -0500 skrev Luis M:
> if you leave the window open long enough, does it eventually go away?
> (this happened to me previously).

Yes, the splash screen eventually resumes normal behaviour and goes
away.

> can you remove all the scripts (startup programs) from your session?
> (if any) (this also happens to get the dialog stuck forever waiting
> for something to happen).

I removed .gnome2/session-manual, and yes, it works! I can now login
normally.

These were the contents:

---------------------------
[Default]
num_clients=1
0,RestartStyleHint=3
0,Priority=0
0,RestartCommand=/usr/bin/devilspie

what's the problem, really? Isn't that supposed to work? It did work in
2.10... still seems like a bug to me!

But thanks for the workaround!

/Mikael