Nautilus 3.26 or 3.28 for Debian now?

Jeremy Bicha-5
Hi,

There was a Nautilus 3.26.3 release with lots of fixes today. Do we
want to push that version to Unstable or do we want Nautilus 3.28.0
now instead?

The only reason I'm hesitating is because we don't have a good
solution in place for desktop icons yet.

Ubuntu is expected to have some sort of solution in place for their
18.10 release in 6 months. Would it be better for our users to delay
the update, or will it help make Debian 10 better if we push the new
version quicker?

My personal opinion is that we should keep Nautilus 3.28 in
experimental but plan to upload 3.30 to Unstable when it is released.
But I'm curious what the rest of the team thinks.

References
--------------
https://bugs.debian.org/888939 Debian bug for this issue
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/blob/gnome-3-26/NEWS
https://didrocks.fr/2018/01/23/welcome-to-the-ubuntu-bionic-age-nautilus-a-lts-and-desktop-icons/

Other Info
-------------
The new starring feature doesn't work quite like many people expect.
It is currently hard coded to only use the standard XDG home
directories I believe.
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/243

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: Nautilus 3.26 or 3.28 for Debian now?

Jordi Mallach
El ds 24 de 03 de 2018 a les 16:15 -0400, en/na Jeremy Bicha va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> There was a Nautilus 3.26.3 release with lots of fixes today. Do we
> want to push that version to Unstable or do we want Nautilus 3.28.0
> now instead?

FWIW, I would just go with 3.28. But this is purely my personal
opinion, not a strong one or anything.

--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer   https://www.debian.org/
[hidden email]     [hidden email]   https://www.sindominio.net/