Nautilus / Keyring Question

Dave Loftis
Howdy all.

Can anyone tell me if the following scenario is created by user error, or if it might be a design of Nautilus (both 2.10 and 2.12).

I am attempting to connect to an FTP server using Nautilus (please let's not get into how there are more efficient ways to do about this), with a username that is outside the [hidden email].  I cannot figure out how to get Nautilus to let me do this, and it appears that I cannot change the behaviour with gnome-keyring-manager.

Specifics:
I am trying to connect to a server with address:
   ftp://ftp.domainname.com
Using the username:
  [hidden email]

I cannot get Nautilus to allow me to do this.  It keeps trying to set my username as [hidden email]@ftp.domainname.com.

I am currently unable to connect using Nautilus, and nor am I able to change the server addressing or the username.

Anyone with a chunk of advice would be appreciated.  Or would you mind telling me to whom to address this upstream?

Thanks in advance,

-dave

Re: Nautilus / Keyring Question

Amaya Rodrigo Sastre
Dave Loftis wrote:
> Specifics:
> I am trying to connect to a server with address:
>    ftp://ftp.domainname.com
> Using the username:
>   [hidden email]
>
> I cannot get Nautilus to allow me to do this.  It keeps trying to set my
> username as [hidden email]@ftp.domainname.com.

Dumb question... what is the username again?
"username" or "[hidden email]"?

If you provide "[hidden email]" as a login, nautilus is doing
the right thing when doing the "[hidden email]@ftp.domainname.com"

Or maybe I didn't drink enough coffee yet, and didn't really get what
you are trying to do.

--
 .''`.       Follow the white Rabbit - Ranty (and Lewis Carroll)
: :' :

Re: Nautilus / Keyring Question

Dave Loftis
To answer your question:  the username is '[hidden email]' and I am trying to connect to 'ftp.domain.com' and Nautilus is attempting to set the URI it is passing to gnome-vfs as [hidden email]@ftp.domainname.com.

Theoretically, this should be correct, except it doesn't work.  As near as I can tell, looking at bugzilla, this might be a case of nautilus making the URI safe (changing the first @ to a character code), but then failing to transmit it as originally entered.

It looks like this is a bug somewhere in Nautilus or the Nautilus interface to gnome-keyring.  I suppose I am left with a venture through code so that I can 'fix' it.  Unless anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks for the help, y'all.
-dave

On 12/7/05, Amaya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dave Loftis wrote:
> Specifics:
> I am trying to connect to a server with address:
>    ftp://ftp.domainname.com
> Using the username:
>   [hidden email]
>
> I cannot get Nautilus to allow me to do this.  It keeps trying to set my
> username as [hidden email]@ftp.domainname.com.

Dumb question... what is the username again?
"username" or "[hidden email]"?

If you provide "[hidden email]" as a login, nautilus is doing
the right thing when doing the "[hidden email]@ftp.domainname.com"

Or maybe I didn't drink enough coffee yet, and didn't really get what
you are trying to do.

--
.''`.       Follow the white Rabbit - Ranty (and Lewis Carroll)
: :' :
`. `'           Proudly running unstable Debian GNU/Linux
  `-     www.amayita.com   www.malapecora.com  www.chicasduras.com

Re: Nautilus / Keyring Question

Luis Mondesi
Did you try substituting the @ symbol with %?

I remember FTP servers used to understand this character.

Thus:

[hidden email]

is the same as:

foo%example.com

Just my $0.02 pesos

To answer your question:  the username is '[hidden email]' and I am trying to connect to '<a href="http://ftp.domain.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> ftp.domain.com' and Nautilus is attempting to set the URI it is passing to gnome-vfs as [hidden email]@<a href="http://ftp.domainname.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">ftp.domainname.com.

the right thing when doing the "[hidden email]@<a href="http://ftp.domainname.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> ftp.domainname.com"

Or maybe I didn't drink enough coffee yet, and didn't really get what
you are trying to do.

--
.''`.       Follow the white Rabbit - Ranty (and Lewis Carroll)
: :' :
`. `'           Proudly running unstable Debian GNU/Linux
  `-     <a href="http://www.amayita.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> www.amayita.com   <a href="http://www.malapecora.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">www.malapecora.com  <a href="http://www.chicasduras.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> www.chicasduras.com

Luis M
System Administrator
Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" -- Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html