Need something similar to mate-color-select

Need something similar to mate-color-select

Richard Owlett-3
I'm using Stretch with MATE desktop.
I need to chose a solid color for my background.
It is unsuitable for two reasons:
    1. The sample color display is *TOO* small.
    2. When using the color wheel an *ANNOYING* text box appears.

An acceptable solution would replace the too small color sample by
changing mate-color-select's background color in real-time as any of the
provided parameters are changed.

Suggestions?
TIA

Re: Need something similar to mate-color-select

Lisi Reisz
On Friday 26 May 2017 14:09:21 Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm using Stretch with MATE desktop.
> I need to chose a solid color for my background.
> It is unsuitable for two reasons:
>     1. The sample color display is *TOO* small.
>     2. When using the color wheel an *ANNOYING* text box appears.
>
> An acceptable solution would replace the too small color sample by
> changing mate-color-select's background color in real-time as any of the
> provided parameters are changed.
>
> Suggestions?
> TIA

Join the Mate development team, then you can develop the bits you want as you
want.

Otherwise, put in a wish-bug.  You might be lucky and someone might pick it
up, if the numbers of those who like the text box do not too greatly
outnumber you.

Lisi

Re: Need something similar to mate-color-select

Brian
On Fri 26 May 2017 at 08:09:21 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm using Stretch with MATE desktop.
> I need to chose a solid color for my background.
> It is unsuitable for two reasons:
>    1. The sample color display is *TOO* small.
>    2. When using the color wheel an *ANNOYING* text box appears.
>
> An acceptable solution would replace the too small color sample by changing
> mate-color-select's background color in real-time as any of the provided
> parameters are changed.

There is claim in #856027 that "Backgrounds are currently completely
broken in stretch".

Brian.

On 05/26/2017 08:24 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Friday 26 May 2017 14:09:21 Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm using Stretch with MATE desktop.
>> I need to chose a solid color for my background.
>> It is unsuitable for two reasons:
>>     1. The sample color display is *TOO* small.
>>     2. When using the color wheel an *ANNOYING* text box appears.
>>
>> An acceptable solution would replace the too small color sample by
>> changing mate-color-select's background color in real-time as any of the
>> provided parameters are changed.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>> TIA
>
> Join the Mate development team, then you can develop the bits you
> want as you want.
>
> Otherwise, put in a wish-bug.  You might be lucky and someone might
> pick it up, if the numbers of those who like the text box do not too
> greatly outnumber you.

In reverse order, the text box is a minor annoyance but useful to many.

As to the first, I have a very strong gut feel that an adequate tool
already exists.

I had been experimenting with gpaint. It comes close.
E.G.
Launch gpaint.
Select Edit->Select All
Select the icon for filling selected area.
Chose a starting color.
Click in the previously selected area. (fills the area with the color)
Maximize gpaint.
Then:
a.  Select the icon for foreground color.
b.  That displays the equivalent of mate-color-select.
c.  Select a new shade
d.  Click OK (causing equivalent of mate-color-select to close)
e.  Click selected area filling it with new shade.
f.  Recognize that's not quite the desired shade.

Repeated repeat steps a thru f.
Steps c thru f plead for their own subroutine.
I can't believe it hasn't been done already.

Thanks for trying.

Re: Need something similar to mate-color-select

David Wright-3
On Fri 26 May 2017 at 08:09:21 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm using Stretch with MATE desktop.
> I need to chose a solid color for my background.
> It is unsuitable for two reasons:
>    1. The sample color display is *TOO* small.
>    2. When using the color wheel an *ANNOYING* text box appears.
>
> An acceptable solution would replace the too small color sample by
> changing mate-color-select's background color in real-time as any of
> the provided parameters are changed.
>
> Suggestions?

Type something like
$ xzoom -mag 20 &
into an xterm. Expand the xzoom window to a goodly size, but not
obstructing things.

To use it, press the mouse button in the window, and drag the cursor
out of it, over to the point of interest. While you hold down the
button, the window is synchronised with the cursor in real-time.
When you let go, the point of interest stays put and whatever
happens to be there is magnified.

Typed in the window, + and - change the magnification, and q quits.

Cheers,
David.

On 05/26/2017 01:30 PM, David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 26 May 2017 at 08:09:21 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm using Stretch with MATE desktop.
>> I need to chose a solid color for my background.
>> It is unsuitable for two reasons:
>>    1. The sample color display is *TOO* small.
>>    2. When using the color wheel an *ANNOYING* text box appears.
>>
>> An acceptable solution would replace the too small color sample by
>> changing mate-color-select's background color in real-time as any of
>> the provided parameters are changed.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> Type something like
> $ xzoom -mag 20 &
> into an xterm. Expand the xzoom window to a goodly size, but not
> obstructing things.
>
> To use it, press the mouse button in the window, and drag the cursor
> out of it, over to the point of interest. While you hold down the
> button, the window is synchronised with the cursor in real-time.
> When you let go, the point of interest stays put and whatever
> happens to be there is magnified.
>
> Typed in the window, + and - change the magnification, and q quits.

"Interesting" with inflection of TV character decades past.
As an old saying goes "When up to your a%&@ in alligators it is
difficult to remember goal was to 'DRAIN SWAMP'" ;/

Fighting other fires at moment. Will look up 'xzoom' and 'xterm'.
Will followup tomorrow. Thank you.