New mobo with decent video? [Was: Re: How to tweak postfix from SMTP on 25 to SMTPS on 465?]

New mobo with decent video? [Was: Re: How to tweak postfix from SMTP on 25 to SMTPS on 465?]

Erik Christiansen

Apologies for this webmail thing not threading  - it doesn't have Richard Hector's reply,
so this can only be a new post. :-(

My postfix is:    mail_version = 2.9.6 , so the second method at
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_smtps
needs to be used. But I'm still on:

$ more /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l

as my newer box died, and I haven't figured out what might replace it.
(Needs to be able to handle youtube & news website clips.)

The problem with the old debian version is that it lacks stunnel, and an
apt-get install of that fails with:
Err http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main stunnel4 i386 3:4.53-1.1
  404  Not Found [IP: 150.203.164.37 80]

I'll have to see if the old repository is now gone, or just moved.

It could be a few weeks before I can make time to do a new install on
another old mobo I have here or a new one. (Have to go off-line for a fortnight from
tomorrow to plough on with an owner-builder rural off-grid build I have to fit-out
stage, and that's when it takes a lot to finish it off. Hopefully
the virus stays far enough away for the contractors to still turn up - even if not on time.)

At least I have incoming mail and most other stuff to get by with until then.
(OK,that's skating on thin ice in the interim. But is there a good ITX mobo I can quickly
install onto to bring a new box up in parallel?)

Many thanks for your help, Richard.

Erik

Re: New mobo with decent video? [Was: Re: How to tweak postfix from SMTP on 25 to SMTPS on 465?]

Greg Wooledge
On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 05:11:29PM +1030, [hidden email] wrote:
> $ more /etc/issue
> Debian GNU/Linux 7 n l

Yikes.

> apt-get install of that fails with:
> Err http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main stunnel4 i386
> 3:4.53-1.1
>   404  Not Found [IP: 150.203.164.37 80]

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWheezy#FAQ

Debian for PPC (was Re: New mobo with decent video? [Was: Re: How to tweak postfix from SMTP on 25 to SMTPS on 465?])

Kenneth Parker-2

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 8:46 AM Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 05:11:29PM +1030, [hidden email] wrote:
> $ more /etc/issue
> Debian GNU/Linux 7 n l

Yikes.

> apt-get install of that fails with:
> Err http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main stunnel4 i386
> 3:4.53-1.1
>   404  Not Found [IP: 150.203.164.37 80]

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWheezy#FAQ

This brings up an unusual requirement:  I am now the proud owner of an iMac G4 Desklamp, with a bad Hard Drive but, otherwise in good condition.  I just checked Debian PPC support, namely ppc64el which, specifically excludes old PPC Macs.

So how far back, in the Debian Archives do I need to go, before I find something that supports a G4?

Thank you and best regards,

Kenneth Parker

Re: Debian for PPC (was Re: New mobo with decent video? [Was: Re: How to tweak postfix from SMTP on 25 to SMTPS on 465?])

Reco
        Hi.

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 10:58:41AM -0400, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> So how far back, in the Debian Archives do I need to go, before I find
> something that supports a G4?

[1] lists Powermac G4 in ppc32 list.

[2] tells us, quoting "The last supported release for 32-bit PowerPC is
Debian 8 (jessie)".

Reco

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC/ppc32
[2] https://archive.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

Re: Debian for PPC (was Re: New mobo with decent video? [Was: Re: How to tweak postfix from SMTP on 25 to SMTPS on 465?])

Echedey Lopez Romero
El lun, 09-03-2020 a las 10:58 -0400, Kenneth Parker escribió:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 8:46 AM Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 05:11:29PM +1030, [hidden email]
> > wrote:
> > > $ more /etc/issue
> > > Debian GNU/Linux 7 n l
> >
> > Yikes.
> >
> > > apt-get install of that fails with:
> > > Err http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main stunnel4 i386
> > > 3:4.53-1.1
> > >   404  Not Found [IP: 150.203.164.37 80]
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWheezy#FAQ
>
> This brings up an unusual requirement:  I am now the proud owner of
> an iMac G4 Desklamp, with a bad Hard Drive but, otherwise in good
> condition.  I just checked Debian PPC support, namely ppc64el which,
> specifically excludes old PPC Macs.
>
> So how far back, in the Debian Archives do I need to go, before I
> find something that supports a G4?
>
> Thank you and best regards,
>
> Kenneth Parker
Good afternoon Parker,

Recently, I have got a iMac G5 working with Debian.

I say you that PowerPC(PowerPC 32 bits Big Endian) and PPC64 (PowerPC
64 bits Big Endian) are available as unofficial ports and with low
maintenance status.

As I am using the PowerPC64 port I cannot ensure that this will work
for your case but I am going to try it.

First, you need to download the last image for the PowerPC port at
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/current/powerpc/iso-cd/

The big issue with the image is that the latest keys for the ports
repository are not available in the image. So that, you must finish the
installation "as default" without configure the mirror and then
download and install the package with the signatures at
https://packages.debian.org/debian-ports-archive-keyring for
sid/unstable.

Since the default installation doesn't include wget or curl I had to
use a pendrive to port the package and install it.

Then, the repositories to be set should be:

- deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports unstable main
- deb [arch=all] http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable contrib non-free

You can also use the CDN links with the same directories (debian-ports
and debian) being the first for packages built for your arch and the
second one for contrib and non-free packages available as common
distribution for every arch. This is made because only main is
available for this arch as far I have checked in
https://www.ports.debian.org/.

I am going to guess that you know how to use the tasksel after this
steps and updating the package list and upgrading to the latest
versions.

I don't know the specifications of your hardware but I am going to
guess that includes a ATI card. In /etc/yaboot.conf after every label=
(below directly could be preferable but I am not really sure how yaboot
parse the config) you have to or should add append="radon.agpmode=-1"
to prevent the system freeze at boot time as I have read a lot for
different models and also in some installation guides.

A last thing: as far I have read and checked personally in some
installations guides and other GNU+Linux distributions manuals, that
there is an issue with hardware acceleration through OpenGL making
pictures and colors, in general, being seen in blue and red in a weird
way. This could happen in common tasks like web browsing and in general
playing games.
Echedey, López Romero

Re: Debian for PPC (was Re: New mobo with decent video? [Was: Re: How to tweak postfix from SMTP on 25 to SMTPS on 465?])

Kenneth Parker-2
Also, a special thanks to Reco for his contribution.  I am learning from https://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC/ppc32

However, I got a "Not Found" error from https://archive.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

But I have an idea, based on the original Thread:  Get the 32 Bit PPC Wheezy DVD.  Again, thanks!

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 11:45 AM Echedey López Romero <[hidden email]> wrote:
El lun, 09-03-2020 a las 10:58 -0400, Kenneth Parker escribió:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 8:46 AM Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 05:11:29PM +1030, [hidden email]
> > wrote:
> > > $ more /etc/issue
> > > Debian GNU/Linux 7 n l
> >
> > Yikes.
> >
> > > apt-get install of that fails with:
> > > Err http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main stunnel4 i386
> > > 3:4.53-1.1
> > >   404  Not Found [IP: 150.203.164.37 80]
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWheezy#FAQ
>
> This brings up an unusual requirement:  I am now the proud owner of
> an iMac G4 Desklamp, with a bad Hard Drive but, otherwise in good
> condition.  I just checked Debian PPC support, namely ppc64el which,
> specifically excludes old PPC Macs.
>
> So how far back, in the Debian Archives do I need to go, before I
> find something that supports a G4?
>
> Thank you and best regards,
>
> Kenneth Parker

Good afternoon Parker,

Recently, I have got a iMac G5 working with Debian.

I think that G5 is 64 Bit.  The ppc32 article on the Debian Wiki, that Reco provided helps me there.

I say you that PowerPC(PowerPC 32 bits Big Endian) and PPC64 (PowerPC
64 bits Big Endian) are available as unofficial ports and with low
maintenance status.

Another place for me to look.

As I am using the PowerPC64 port I cannot ensure that this will work
for your case but I am going to try it.

First, you need to download the last image for the PowerPC port at
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/current/powerpc/iso-cd/

I will examine this.  I suspect I might need something, before the *last* image, but I will download this to start.

<snipped the rest, as I need to get something running (like a Live CD), before I go anywhere else>

By the way, the last thing this G4 "Desklamp" was running, before the Catastrophic Disk Failure was OS X Panther  (We got one Boot, into Single User Mode, where I was able to get Hardware / Software info.  That was, then, all she wrote).  Fortunately, I have a running iBook G3 [!] running the prior release, OS X Jaguar (and, which makes it "priceless" for me, a working Dual Boot to Apple's OS 9), so I was able to prepare an external Firewire Disk, to accept whatever gets Installed.  Finally, I have a CD Set for Darwin, giving me something supported by Apple that I can install.  The Panther System had X-Windows Support, by the way.

Thank you, everyone for your help!

Kenneth Parker