Next release of manpages-l10n

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Next release of manpages-l10n

Mario Blättermann
Hello,

the manpages-l10n project is now almost ready for a release. The new
version 4.0 is scheduled for march 1, 2020. All commits prior to this
date will be included in the tarball.

This means, you should now complete all the work you are already
started with. In the meantime, we will update the translation
templates and the existing *.po files as usual. Due to some version
changes in our supported packages, such updates can happen more often
than expected. For example, the original »manpages« package has been
recently updated to v5.05. Once the distribution packages have been
arrived, we will do an extra update. Please always work on the latest
*.po files from the Git repository, sorry for the inconvenience.
Because we support lots of distribution packages whose updates we
can't influence, we are unable to declare a »string freeze« in common
sense.

In case of the *.po file you are working on is older than the latest
template from the Git repository, you can easily update it as follows
(regardless of it's really older):

Copy your *.po file to the right place in your local copy of the Git
repo. Committing is not needed for the time being.

Run the following script in the po/ directory of your language:

./update-po.sh relative/path/to/your/po/file

For example:

./update-po.sh man1/chroot.1.po

The script merges your *.po file with both the latest template (*.pot
file) and the compendium files (common/*.po). Besides that, it removes
unused gettext messages at the end of the file and deletes old msgid
comments (starting with #|), as long as the appropriate gettext
message is no longer marked as »fuzzy«.

Happy translating!

Best Regards,
Mario

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Next release of manpages-l10n

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL-3
Hi,

Great news, congrats! I am happy to see this package alive.

Who can push in the fr subdir of the tree? Can we add people manually,
even if not DDs? Some of the most important French translators are not
DDs, but would make sense they can push the translations to fr.

Regards



Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
       
Le 10/02/2020 à 10:10, Mario Blättermann a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> the manpages-l10n project is now almost ready for a release. The new
> version 4.0 is scheduled for march 1, 2020. All commits prior to this
> date will be included in the tarball.
>
> This means, you should now complete all the work you are already
> started with. In the meantime, we will update the translation
> templates and the existing *.po files as usual. Due to some version
> changes in our supported packages, such updates can happen more often
> than expected. For example, the original »manpages« package has been
> recently updated to v5.05. Once the distribution packages have been
> arrived, we will do an extra update. Please always work on the latest
> *.po files from the Git repository, sorry for the inconvenience.
> Because we support lots of distribution packages whose updates we
> can't influence, we are unable to declare a »string freeze« in common
> sense.
>
> In case of the *.po file you are working on is older than the latest
> template from the Git repository, you can easily update it as follows
> (regardless of it's really older):
>
> Copy your *.po file to the right place in your local copy of the Git
> repo. Committing is not needed for the time being.
>
> Run the following script in the po/ directory of your language:
>
> ./update-po.sh relative/path/to/your/po/file
>
> For example:
>
> ./update-po.sh man1/chroot.1.po
>
> The script merges your *.po file with both the latest template (*.pot
> file) and the compendium files (common/*.po). Besides that, it removes
> unused gettext messages at the end of the file and deletes old msgid
> comments (starting with #|), as long as the appropriate gettext
> message is no longer marked as »fuzzy«.
>
> Happy translating!
>
> Best Regards,
> Mario
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Next release of manpages-l10n

Mario Blättermann
Hello Jean-Philippe,

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 11. Feb. 2020, 01:15:
Hi,

Great news, congrats! I am happy to see this package alive.

Who can push in the fr subdir of the tree? Can we add people manually,
even if not DDs? Some of the most important French translators are not
DDs, but would make sense they can push the translations to fr.

No problem, people without a DD account can simply create a guest developer account at [1] and then apply for membership at [2]. All project members registered as "maintainer" (you too) are then allowed to accept the new translators.

But note: Never commit anything outside of your own directory (po/fr/ in your case) without discussing the change with us, unless our scripts change something in templates/ or wherever else. Another exception are the localized files in public/ (which feed the status pages), if you found some wrong translation there.


Best Regards,
Mario



Regards



Jean-Philippe MENGUAL

Le 10/02/2020 à 10:10, Mario Blättermann a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> the manpages-l10n project is now almost ready for a release. The new
> version 4.0 is scheduled for march 1, 2020. All commits prior to this
> date will be included in the tarball.
>
> This means, you should now complete all the work you are already
> started with. In the meantime, we will update the translation
> templates and the existing *.po files as usual. Due to some version
> changes in our supported packages, such updates can happen more often
> than expected. For example, the original »manpages« package has been
> recently updated to v5.05. Once the distribution packages have been
> arrived, we will do an extra update. Please always work on the latest
> *.po files from the Git repository, sorry for the inconvenience.
> Because we support lots of distribution packages whose updates we
> can't influence, we are unable to declare a »string freeze« in common
> sense.
>
> In case of the *.po file you are working on is older than the latest
> template from the Git repository, you can easily update it as follows
> (regardless of it's really older):
>
> Copy your *.po file to the right place in your local copy of the Git
> repo. Committing is not needed for the time being.
>
> Run the following script in the po/ directory of your language:
>
> ./update-po.sh relative/path/to/your/po/file
>
> For example:
>
> ./update-po.sh man1/chroot.1.po
>
> The script merges your *.po file with both the latest template (*.pot
> file) and the compendium files (common/*.po). Besides that, it removes
> unused gettext messages at the end of the file and deletes old msgid
> comments (starting with #|), as long as the appropriate gettext
> message is no longer marked as »fuzzy«.
>
> Happy translating!
>
> Best Regards,
> Mario
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Next release of manpages-l10n

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL-3
Hi,

Le 11/02/2020 à 02:48, Mario Blättermann a écrit :

> Hello Jean-Philippe,
>
> Jean-Philippe MENGUAL <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> schrieb am Di., 11. Feb. 2020, 01:15:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Great news, congrats! I am happy to see this package alive.
>
>     Who can push in the fr subdir of the tree? Can we add people manually,
>     even if not DDs? Some of the most important French translators are not
>     DDs, but would make sense they can push the translations to fr.
>
>
> No problem, people without a DD account can simply create a guest
> developer account at [1] and then apply for membership at [2]. All
> project members registered as "maintainer" (you too) are then allowed to
> accept the new translators.

Ok perfect, the relevant persons were added.

>
> But note: Never commit anything outside of your own directory (po/fr/ in
> your case) without discussing the change with us, unless our scripts
> change something in templates/ or wherever else. Another exception are
> the localized files in public/ (which feed the status pages), if you
> found some wrong translation there.

ok no problem, I will follow what the French team will say from their
experience and in case of doubt, will ask here

Sincerely

>
> [1] https://signup.salsa.debian.org/ <https://signup.salsa.debian.org/>
> [2] https://salsa.debian.org/manpages-l10n-team/manpages-l10n 
> <https://salsa.debian.org/manpages-l10n-team/manpages-l10n>
>
> Best Regards,
> Mario
>
>
>
>     Regards
>
>
>
>     Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
>
>     Le 10/02/2020 à 10:10, Mario Blättermann a écrit :
>      > Hello,
>      >
>      > the manpages-l10n project is now almost ready for a release. The new
>      > version 4.0 is scheduled for march 1, 2020. All commits prior to this
>      > date will be included in the tarball.
>      >
>      > This means, you should now complete all the work you are already
>      > started with. In the meantime, we will update the translation
>      > templates and the existing *.po files as usual. Due to some version
>      > changes in our supported packages, such updates can happen more often
>      > than expected. For example, the original »manpages« package has been
>      > recently updated to v5.05. Once the distribution packages have been
>      > arrived, we will do an extra update. Please always work on the latest
>      > *.po files from the Git repository, sorry for the inconvenience.
>      > Because we support lots of distribution packages whose updates we
>      > can't influence, we are unable to declare a »string freeze« in common
>      > sense.
>      >
>      > In case of the *.po file you are working on is older than the latest
>      > template from the Git repository, you can easily update it as follows
>      > (regardless of it's really older):
>      >
>      > Copy your *.po file to the right place in your local copy of the Git
>      > repo. Committing is not needed for the time being.
>      >
>      > Run the following script in the po/ directory of your language:
>      >
>      > ./update-po.sh relative/path/to/your/po/file
>      >
>      > For example:
>      >
>      > ./update-po.sh man1/chroot.1.po
>      >
>      > The script merges your *.po file with both the latest template (*.pot
>      > file) and the compendium files (common/*.po). Besides that, it
>     removes
>      > unused gettext messages at the end of the file and deletes old msgid
>      > comments (starting with #|), as long as the appropriate gettext
>      > message is no longer marked as »fuzzy«.
>      >
>      > Happy translating!
>      >
>      > Best Regards,
>      > Mario
>      >
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Next release of manpages-l10n

Dr. Tobias Quathamer
In reply to this post by Mario Blättermann
Am 10.02.20 um 10:10 schrieb Mario Blättermann:
> Hello,
>
> the manpages-l10n project is now almost ready for a release. The new
> version 4.0 is scheduled for march 1, 2020. All commits prior to this
> date will be included in the tarball.

Hi all,

the new package manpages-l10n has just been accepted into Debian
unstable. Thanks for all your work!

Regards,
Tobias


signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Next release of manpages-l10n

Helge Kreutzmann-2
Hello Tobias,
On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 09:40:41PM +0200, Dr. Tobias Quathamer wrote:
> Am 10.02.20 um 10:10 schrieb Mario Blättermann:
> > the manpages-l10n project is now almost ready for a release. The new
> > version 4.0 is scheduled for march 1, 2020. All commits prior to this
> > date will be included in the tarball.
>
> Hi all,
>
> the new package manpages-l10n has just been accepted into Debian
> unstable. Thanks for all your work!

Thank you very much for your work and the scripts as well.

I discussed this with Mario and we think it would be a good time to
target the next version, now with some more languages (I guess Mario
has a better overview of the stats) maybe in about a week?

I just checked with the French team, this release would close also the
remaining open Debian bugs for manpages-fr.

And afterwards a Debian backport would be nice.

Of course, the other supported (and unsupported) distribution might
also use the chance to do the update, e.g. for Fedora for the very
first time.

Greetings

            Helge


--
      Dr. Helge Kreutzmann                     [hidden email]
           Dipl.-Phys.                   http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
        64bit GNU powered                     gpg signed mail preferred
           Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment