Notes on packaging PCYNLITX

Bagas Sanjaya
Hello,

I've filed RFP for PCYNLITX sometimes ago [1]:

In PCYNLITX download page [2], it can be installed by using installation script. However, after examining install
script, I noticed following:
- PCYNLITX doesn't employ version numbering like any other project/packages. It would be difficult to identify
which is the latest version. So I use version number 0.0~git20190606 in RFP report.
- The script install wxWidgets library from third-party repository, not from Debian. It use codelite repo (for Stretch):
apt-add-repository 'deb http://repos.codelite.org/wx3.0.4/debian/ stretch libs'
- Evince will be installed as runtime dependency, possibly for documentation. For non-GNOME users (KDE, XFCE, etc.) which use different readers (like Okular and Atril) this can bloat their system and become unnecessary. - All steps are performed using sudo. If the script is run by root user, this will be redundant, since the installation is done by root privileges. If I will packaging PCYNLITX for Debian, any suggestions, assuming that I have read New Maintainers Guideline and related Debian packaging documentation? Cheers, Bagas [1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=931400 [2]: http://www.pcynlitx.tech/the-installation-of-pcynlitx/
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

Re: Notes on packaging PCYNLITX

Michael Kesper-5
Hi Bagas,

On 12.07.19 14:52, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> I've filed RFP for PCYNLITX sometimes ago [1]:
[...]
> - The script install wxWidgets library from third-party repository, not from Debian. It use codelite repo (for Stretch):
>> apt-add-repository 'deb http://repos.codelite.org/wx3.0.4/debian/ stretch libs'

This is not how Debian works.
It has to use the version in Debian and not install a custom one.

Best wishes
Michael

Re: Notes on packaging PCYNLITX

Kris Deugau
Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've filed RFP for PCYNLITX sometimes ago [1]:
>
> In PCYNLITX download page [2], it can be installed by using installation script. However, after examining install
> script, I noticed following:
> - PCYNLITX doesn't employ version numbering like any other project/packages. It would be difficult to identify
> which is the latest version. So I use version number 0.0~git20190606 in RFP report.

I think convention is to add the git commit hash on the end of that as
well, to pin down exactly which source version was used to build the
package.  IIRC the New Maintainer's Guide either has an example or links
to another document that has one, so that your package versions sort
properly.

> - The script install wxWidgets library from third-party repository, not from Debian. It use codelite repo (for Stretch):
>> apt-add-repository 'deb http://repos.codelite.org/wx3.0.4/debian/
>> stretch libs'

Your package will have to depend on the stock Debian version of this
library, unless there are specific modifications in this other version
that are strictly necessary.  If the modified version of this library is
necessary, it must also be packaged within Debian, or at least shipped
in the source and binary package you're creating (and strongly justified
if you do this);  adding third-party repositories isn't acceptable.

> - Evince will be installed as runtime dependency, possibly for documentation. For non-GNOME users (KDE, XFCE, etc.)
> which use different readers (like Okular and Atril) this can bloat their system and become unnecessary.

Unless the software itself actually uses evince internally, you don't
need dependencies on anything for reading documentation.

> - All steps are performed using sudo. If the script is run by root user, this will be redundant, since the installation
> is done by root privileges.
>
> If I will packaging PCYNLITX for Debian, any suggestions, assuming that I have read New Maintainers Guideline and
> related Debian packaging documentation?

You will have to inspect and understand the steps that installer script
takes, and convert that into a proper Debian package based around either:
  - the upstream tarball retrieved in the first command that script
runs, or:
  - a git commit or tag

Without inspecting the tarball itself, based on the dependencies it
installs it looks to me as if it just contains precompiled binary files;
  this would not be acceptable in Debian's main archive, or in contrib.
It *may* be acceptable in non-free.  Check the build process that
creates that tarball from the upstream git repository;  you may have to
base your package entirely on the git repository rather than any of the
bundled "release" files.

-kgd, just a moderately experienced observer on the packaging process

Re: Notes on packaging PCYNLITX

Robin Krahl-2
On 2019-07-12 19:52:14, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> - Evince will be installed as runtime dependency, possibly for documentation. For non-GNOME users (KDE, XFCE, etc.)
> which use different readers (like Okular and Atril) this can bloat their system and become unnecessary.

You might want to have a look at pdf-viewer [0] – it’s a virtual package
that is provided by evince, okular etc.

[0] https://packages.debian.org/buster/pdf-viewer

/Robin

Re: Notes on packaging PCYNLITX

Bernd Zeimetz

> If I will packaging PCYNLITX for Debian, any suggestions, assuming that I have read New Maintainers Guideline and
> related Debian packaging documentation?

> [2]: http://www.pcynlitx.tech/the-installation-of-pcynlitx/

after looking at the source - i think your biggest challenge will be to
find a way to build this big mess of shell snippets into something that
will build a debian package in a reliable way. On the first look the
buildprocess does not even stop when there was an error... I think to
become a useful project you should convince upstream to use cmake or
some other reliable build system - you might also need that if you want
to build the source on other architectures or cross-build it...

tl;dr - first fix the source and build-system, then think about Debian.

Bernd

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                            Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 http://bzed.de                                http://www.debian.org
 GPG Fingerprint: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485  DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F

Re: Notes on packaging PCYNLITX

Tomas Pospisek ML

I have a few rather higher level questions about PCYNLITX.

* are there any known users of PCYNLITX, in the sense of, does
  there exist an application, that actually uses PCYNLITX?

* I have read through the web page of PCYNLITX. I can not
  make up my mind. The web page is talking about how well
  documented PCYNLITX is, but there's no code examples of
  how PCYNLITX is used, as far as I could find. Without
  that it's too hard for me to make up my mind about it.
  I find the concept interesting, but without seeing
  code - hmmm...

?
*t

Am 12.07.19 um 08:52 schrieb Bagas Sanjaya:

> Hello,
>
> I've filed RFP for PCYNLITX sometimes ago [1]:
>
> In PCYNLITX download page [2], it can be installed by using installation script. However, after examining install
> script, I noticed following:
> - PCYNLITX doesn't employ version numbering like any other project/packages. It would be difficult to identify
> which is the latest version. So I use version number 0.0~git20190606 in RFP report.
> - The script install wxWidgets library from third-party repository, not from Debian. It use codelite repo (for Stretch):
>> apt-add-repository 'deb http://repos.codelite.org/wx3.0.4/debian/
>> stretch libs'
> - Evince will be installed as runtime dependency, possibly for documentation. For non-GNOME users (KDE, XFCE, etc.)
> which use different readers (like Okular and Atril) this can bloat their system and become unnecessary.
> - All steps are performed using sudo. If the script is run by root user, this will be redundant, since the installation
> is done by root privileges.
>
> If I will packaging PCYNLITX for Debian, any suggestions, assuming that I have read New Maintainers Guideline and
> related Debian packaging documentation?
>
> Cheers, Bagas
>
> [1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=931400
> [2]: http://www.pcynlitx.tech/the-installation-of-pcynlitx/
>
> --
> An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

Re: Notes on packaging PCYNLITX

Bagas Sanjaya
Sorry for late posting.

Currently I don't see any applications that use PCYNLITX.

Regarding code examples, the upstream provide some of them [1]. Those are in PDF format, though, so manually
copy-pasting is needed to use them.

[1]: https://www.pcynlitx.tech/code-examples/
Hi,