OT Calibre

Bob Bernstein
Where is the 'Quit' or 'Exit' button in Calibre's gui?

Thank youse.

--
"In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of
politics’. All issues are political issues, and politics

 George Orwell "Politics and the English Language" (1946)

Re: OT Calibre

Andrea Borgia
Il 22/04/19 21:51, Bob Bernstein ha scritto:
> Where is the 'Quit' or 'Exit' button in Calibre's gui?

It seems there's no specific quit button but I can close it without
problems by clicking the "X" button at the top right corner of the
window (using xfce4).

Re: OT Calibre

Paul Sutton-2

On 22/04/2019 20:58, Andrea Borgia wrote:
> Il 22/04/19 21:51, Bob Bernstein ha scritto:
>> Where is the 'Quit' or 'Exit' button in Calibre's gui?
>
> It seems there's no specific quit button but I can close it without
> problems by clicking the "X" button at the top right corner of the
> window (using xfce4).

Hmm,  from a UX / UI viewpoint won't new users expect a close / quit
button or menu option,  ?

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D

Re: OT Calibre

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:01:40PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 22/04/2019 20:58, Andrea Borgia wrote:
> > Il 22/04/19 21:51, Bob Bernstein ha scritto:
> >> Where is the 'Quit' or 'Exit' button in Calibre's gui?
> >
> > It seems there's no specific quit button but I can close it without
> > problems by clicking the "X" button at the top right corner of the
> > window (using xfce4).
> >

> Hmm,  from a UX / UI viewpoint won't new users expect a close / quit
> button or menu option,  ?

I don't think so.  I just started using it a few months ago and I
actually never noticed the absence of close/quit menu options and/or
buttons until reading this thread.  I find that the toolbar layout works
really well, and naturally supports clicking the "X" in the top of the
window border to close/quit.

Regards,

-Roberto

Roberto C. Sánchez

Re: OT Calibre

Verde Denim

On 4/22/19 5:10 PM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:01:40PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
>>> It seems there's no specific quit button but I can close it without
>>> problems by clicking the "X" button at the top right corner of the
>>> window (using xfce4).
>>>
>> Hmm,  from a UX / UI viewpoint won't new users expect a close / quit
>> button or menu option,  ?
>>
> I don't think so.  I just started using it a few months ago and I
> actually never noticed the absence of close/quit menu options and/or
> buttons until reading this thread.  I find that the toolbar layout works
> really well, and naturally supports clicking the "X" in the top of the
> window border to close/quit.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

And there's the other kill switch... kill -KILL ... that should make it
quit.

Re: OT Calibre

Siard
Jack Dangler:

> Roberto C. Sánchez:
> > Paul Sutton:
> > > Andrea Borgia:

> > > Hmm,  from a UX / UI viewpoint won't new users expect a close /
> > > quit button or menu option,  ?
> >
> > I don't think so.  I just started using it a few months ago and I
> > actually never noticed the absence of close/quit menu options and/or
> > buttons until reading this thread.  I find that the toolbar layout
> > works really well, and naturally supports clicking the "X" in the
> > top of the window border to close/quit.
>
> And there's the other kill switch... kill -KILL ... that should make
> it quit.

Even simpler: Ctrl-Q makes it quit.  (Calibre 3.39.1, testing)

Re: OT Calibre

Bob Bernstein
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019, Siard wrote:

> Even simpler: Ctrl-Q makes it quit.  (Calibre 3.39.1,
> testing)

Egad! Who knew? I trust that is documented in some easily
accessible reference document, yes?

Thank you!

Fraught with portent

Re: OT Calibre

Andrea Borgia
Most definitely, yes.
I had a look and there seems to be no bugreport about this, yet:

Re: OT Calibre

Eric S Fraga
On Monday, 22 Apr 2019 at 17:10, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> I don't think so.  I just started using it a few months ago and I
> actually never noticed the absence of close/quit menu options and/or
> buttons until reading this thread.

I've been using calibre for years and never noticed either! :-)

I just leave it running as it serves books to my ebook reader.

Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.3 on Debian buster/sid

Re: OT Calibre

David Wright-3
On Mon 22 Apr 2019 at 19:00:14 (-0400), Bob Bernstein wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2019, Siard wrote:
>
> > Even simpler: Ctrl-Q makes it quit.  (Calibre 3.39.1, testing)
>
> Egad! Who knew? I trust that is documented in some easily accessible
> reference document, yes?

Off the top of my head, the only application that doesn't respond to
either q or ^Q is evince, which seems only to react to ^W.

As ^W is quite frequently used for Close Window, that seems just about
adequate. I presume this role is documented in some sort of Desktop
Usability Guide but if not, you're likely to stumble on it when your
typing skills accidentally fail (QWERTY…).

Cheers,
David.

Re: OT Calibre

Nicolas George-4
David Wright (12019-04-23):
> As ^W is quite frequently used for Close Window

I wish they remembered that ^W was used almost forever to erase a word
backward in ttys before they hijacked it.

How many times did I accidentally close a browser window after typing a
long text in a form...

  Nicolas George

Re: OT Calibre

Jonathan Dowland
On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 05:10:49PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:01:40PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Hmm,  from a UX / UI viewpoint won't new users expect a close / quit
>> button or menu option,  ?
>>
>I don't think so.  I just started using it a few months ago and I
>actually never noticed the absence of close/quit menu options and/or
>buttons until reading this thread.  I find that the toolbar layout works
>really well, and naturally supports clicking the "X" in the top of the
>window border to close/quit.

I hadn't noticed the absence either…

Since the 'X' is drawn/owned by the window manager (traditionally, I realise
GTK are moving in a different direction), it's not necessarily the case that
the window manager actually provides it at all… it is a little odd for an app
to not provide its own means of gracefully closing (the WM can do little more
than send a sig TERM). As another has discovered, there's at least CTRL+Q for
Calibre.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland

Re: OT Calibre

Nicolas George-4
Jonathan Dowland (12019-04-23):
> Since the 'X' is drawn/owned by the window manager (traditionally, I realise
> GTK are moving in a different direction)

Another reason to fork Gtk.

> (the WM can do little more than send a sig TERM)

There are many things the WM can do, and it almost never send a SIGTERM.
Search WM_DELETE_WINDOW in the ICCCM.

  Nicolas George

Re: OT Calibre

Jonathan Dowland
On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 03:37:14PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
>> (the WM can do little more than send a sig TERM)
>
>There are many things the WM can do, and it almost never send a SIGTERM.
>Search WM_DELETE_WINDOW in the ICCCM.

I'll just take your word for it, thanks.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland