[OT] Linux on the London Tube?

Richard Lyons
I saw this ad on the tube recently, and was disappointed to find it wasn't
inviting people to migrate from the dark side

http://the-place.net/penguin/migrate.jpg

But maybe we should...

richard

Jamie

Re: [OT] Linux on the London Tube?

Sholem Aleichem
I liked that. Shame it wasn't for a GNU/Linux system. Not sure London
underground adverts would do much good though.

--
-Debian GNU/Linux User-
  OS: Debian 5.0 "Lenny"

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:34:54PM +0000, Sholem Aleichem wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 February 2009 7:31:57 pm Jamie White wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Paulo Brito
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:

> > > lol!! That's funny!
> > >
> > If only it was a Linux ad!
> >
> I liked that. Shame it wasn't for a GNU/Linux system. Not sure London
> underground adverts would do much good though.

They advertize the dark side enough down there in the dark...
Isn't it time we showed the light?

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 7:43:37 pm Richard Lyons wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:34:54PM +0000, Sholem Aleichem wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 February 2009 7:31:57 pm Jamie White wrote:

> > > If only it was a Linux ad!
> >
> > I liked that. Shame it wasn't for a GNU/Linux system. Not sure London
> > underground adverts would do much good though.
>
> They advertize the dark side enough down there in the dark...
> Isn't it time we showed the light?
>
> richard

"dark side", do we really want to associate ourselves with them by using the
same advertising principals? :)

--
-Debian GNU/Linux User-
  OS: Debian 5.0 "Lenny"

Re: [OT] Linux on the London Tube?

Sam Kuper
2009/2/17 Richard Lyons <[hidden email]>
I saw this ad on the tube recently, and was disappointed to find it wasn't
inviting people to migrate from the dark side

http://the-place.net/penguin/migrate.jpg

But maybe we should...

It strikes me that a sticker bearing, say, "Get your ticket freedom at www.debian.org", placed to cover the part of the poster from the text "XSCAPE" to the text ".com" would turn this into a pretty good GNU/Linux poster. It'd be nice to see GNU/Linux ads on the Bakerloo line, instead of the usual nonsense.

Not that I'm advocating anyone should commit vandalism, of course.

Sam

Re: [OT] Linux on the London Tube?

Sam Kuper
Oops...

2009/2/17 Sam Kuper <[hidden email]>
It strikes me that a sticker bearing, say, "Get your ticket freedom at www.debian.org" [...]

s/ticket freedom/ticket to freedom/

Re: [OT] Linux on the London Tube?

Lydgate
Ha, I thought the same thing!

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:16:02PM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:

> I saw this ad on the tube recently, and was disappointed to find it wasn't
> inviting people to migrate from the dark side
>
> http://the-place.net/penguin/migrate.jpg
>
> But maybe we should...
>
> richard

Re: [OT] Linux on the London Tube?

Paul Johnson
Sholem Aleichem wrote:
> I liked that. Shame it wasn't for a GNU/Linux system. Not sure London
> underground adverts would do much good though.

Microsoft thinks otherwise, advertising heavily on the overhead boards
or even entire car ceilings on board Portland's MAX light rail system.

Though I think the last time I will ever ride the Screechcar (so named
by the locals for the loud, almost piercingly high-pitched, nasal,
screechy voice they found to read the stop announcements and who is
sponsoring the stops on Portland Transit's underfunded streetcar
line[1]) will be if the announcement screech says a stop's sponsored by
Microsoft.

[1] I'm pretty sure the voice itself is recorded and not synthetic, in
which case I really feel sorry poor woman who is cursed to have a voice
that sets off the fingernails-on-chalkboard reflex in all who haven't or
aren't able to tune out something that annoying after 10 years.

Sholem Aleichem wrote:

> "dark side", do we really want to associate ourselves with them by using the
> same advertising principals? :)

What better way to introduce people to the people's OS than on the
people's transportation?