OT: laptop recomendations

1234 ... 7

OT: laptop recomendations

michf
Hello,

Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
since it's a working laptop.

I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best).  I
also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series also has a
bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.

Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
the one button issue although the design is nice).

Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
with the synaptic).

Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.

Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.

Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
case of mulfunciton etc.

Thanks

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

lee (Bugzilla)
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:45:09AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:

> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.

Fujitsu/Siemens made the worst laptops I've seen (battery problems,
PSU problems, horrible performance); LG is no-name so that you won't
be able to get a new battery or other spare parts when you need them.

Besides, Fujitsu/Siemens took about 12 weeks or so to replace a broken
tape drive under warranty.

People kept telling me that Mitsubishi makes good laptops, but at the
same time, they told me that their laptops won't survive falling from
the drivers seat in a car, which, of course, makes them useless.

There is also no laptop that would be up to the temperature
specifications for mobile devices (-40 to 120C).

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.-2
On Wednesday 2008 December 10 16:45:09 Micha Feigin wrote:
>Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at
> the drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up
> to par with the synaptic).

I'm happy with my Dell Inspiron E1505.  My roommate is happy with his more
recent laptop purchase from Dell.  My other roommate likes his Thinkpad, but
it is a much older system, so I can't say that reflects the quality of
current Thinkpads.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[hidden email]                      ((_/)o o(\_))

RE: OT: laptop recomendations

Larry Owens-2

We have both a Sony VAIO and a Fujitsu Lifebook.  The VAIO is clearly
superior.  We also just doused our Dell.  Not good quality either.
Larry
>>--
>ebian.org

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Allan Wind
On 2008-12-11T00:45:09, Micha Feigin wrote:
> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
> the one button issue although the design is nice).

I have used a number of the t-series ThinkPads and they have all been
great.  No service experience with them, although I do like that they
send you an email with your warranty expires.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

dotancohen
2008/12/11 Micha Feigin <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
> since it's a working laptop.
>
> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best).  I
> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
> continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series also has a
> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>
> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>
> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
> with the synaptic).
>
> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>
> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>
> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
> case of mulfunciton etc.
>
> Thanks

I've got a Dell Inspiron E1505 / 6400 2.0 gHz Duo Core laptop with 2GB
of RAM that I've been lugging on my back since January 2007. 15.4"
1680x1050 screen, works great with Compiz, wifi, bluetooth. Terrific
keyboard too. At the time it was about $1200 but it should be less
now. My only regret is the 80 GB hard drive, which is too small. Be
sure that you get a 7200 RPM hard drive no matter what size you buy.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

sjoerd (Bugzilla)
Micha Feigin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
> since it's a working laptop.
>
> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best).  I
> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
> continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series also has a
> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>
> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>
> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
> with the synaptic).
>
> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>
> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>
> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
> case of mulfunciton etc.
>
> Thanks

I love my Dell XPS. I have a 13.3', but there are versions with larger
screens. They can be bought with Ubuntu preinstalled, so you know for
sure that Linux works on these systems. Also some Inspirions can be
bought with Ubuntu, which saves you a Windows licence.

Sjoerd

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Jack Schneider-2

--

Hi, I concur with the "DELL" idea.  I have an "Precision M60" 3-years
old and it's a tank. still using initial battery. I would recommend

Jack

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Arc Roca
I am running sid in a toshiba satellite a205-S5831, circuit city for $400 usd (scratches, etc). Sound card crappy, wifi had to be activated with madwifi (see wiki.debian.org). Otherwise, good laptop.

On Wednesday 2008 December 10 16:45:09 Micha Feigin wrote:
>Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at
> the drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which
isn't up
> to par with the synaptic).

I'm happy with my Dell Inspiron E1505. My roommate is happy with his more
recent laptop purchase from Dell. My other roommate likes his Thinkpad, but
it is a much older system, so I can't say that reflects the quality of
current Thinkpads.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[hidden email]                      ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy           `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.org/                      \_/

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Damon Chesser
Micha Feigin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
> since it's a working laptop.
>
> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best).  I
> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
> continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series also has a
> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>
> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>
> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
> with the synaptic).
>
> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>
> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>
> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
> case of mulfunciton etc.
>
> Thanks

Well, I think you just asked "What is the best religion?"  I like my
Dell Vostro 1500.  Sealed keyboard, titanium skeleton inside to prevent
flex.  Vostros can't be docked but Latitudes can be and have those very
same features.  With my 9 cell battery, I have battery for at least 5
hours (my power applet reports 7 hours, but I never trim the brightness
and such things to archive that.)  It is big, bulky, heavy.  It also is
tough.  All version of Linux (that I tried) runs just fine.

Mine is running Debian Testing right now.  I also have the Dell wireless
(which is a broadcom) and had no problem in getting it to work.  Watch
out for getting the Intel wireless, you need to make sure that it is not
a newer one not supported (happened to a friend who got a 1700).  It is
pretty, like a tank or an attach aircraft is pretty, built to take
abuse.  I have no problems with it.

OTHO, my friend purchased a 1700 from Dell's refurbed site.  It had
stability issues and after many calls to Dell, they had him ship it
back.  A week later he got it back and the wireless would not work (it
appears to have been the wrong one installed).  Dell had him ship it
back for more work.  Now here is the Good news.  Two week later, they
shipped him a brand new Vostro 1700, with a HD upgrade to 300GB (from
100GB) at no charge.  So:  You can get great deals from Dells
refurbished site, they seem to stand behind warranty issues.

IMHO, stop looking at Consumer grade laptops, look at business class
machines.  For Dell that is the Vostro, Latitude, Precision and XPS Laptops.

HTH!

Damon Chesser

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Tzafrir Cohen
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:54:41AM -0600, Jack Schneider wrote:

> --
>
> Hi, I concur with the "DELL" idea.  I have an "Precision M60" 3-years

Is that an answer or a signature?

'-- ' on a line of its own is a signature separator. If you really like
'--' as a separator line, just don't put the extra space after it.

As in:

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [hidden email] | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il |                    | a Mutt's

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

anoop aryal
I used to swear by toshiba until 3-4 satallite pros (all bought at
around the same time) died. right after the warrenty expired. all of 'em
kinda died at around the same time too - within 1-2 months. I hear
someone has a howto on how to wave the soldering iron on it to nurse it
back to health if you are handy with the said piece of hardware.

On one of 'em the hinge broke. After I took it apart to investigate, I
was disappointed at the quality of it's chasis. This was the top of the
line series too..

No toshiba for me.

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 00:45 +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
> since it's a working laptop.
>
> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best).  I
> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
> continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series also has a
> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>
> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>
> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
> with the synaptic).
>
> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>
> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>
> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
> case of mulfunciton etc.
>
> Thanks

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Jack Schneider-2

--
Just Carelessness..  8-)
Jack

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Daryl Styrk

Anoop Aryal wrote:

> I used to swear by toshiba until 3-4 satallite pros (all bought at
> around the same time) died. right after the warrenty expired. all of 'em
> kinda died at around the same time too - within 1-2 months. I hear
> someone has a howto on how to wave the soldering iron on it to nurse it
> back to health if you are handy with the said piece of hardware.
>
> On one of 'em the hinge broke. After I took it apart to investigate, I
> was disappointed at the quality of it's chasis. This was the top of the
> line series too..
>
> No toshiba for me.
>

> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 00:45 +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
>> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
>> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
>> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
>> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
>> since it's a working laptop.
>>
>> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best).  I
>> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
>> continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series also has a
>> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
>> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>>
>> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
>> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
>> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>>
>> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
>> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
>> with the synaptic).
>>
>> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>>
>> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>>
>> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
>> case of mulfunciton etc.
>>
>> Thanks

I would never part with my T-61 (type 7658 here).  Not a single problem,
everything but wireless works with lenny out of the box..
(firmware-iwlwifi will get it going)

Has a keyboard designed to help out if spilled on.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki with a lot of documentation to
mess with.

Standard battery (4 cell I think) gives me ~3hrs, and you have the
option to replace the optic drive with a battery and/or replace the 4
cell with a 9 cell supposedly gives 8 full hours.

Screen is great, keyboard is spot on best I've ever used.  BIOS has a
lot of options, more than I care to mess with.

I hated the pointing stick or whatever you call it at first but now I
don't know if I could live without it.

http://xkcd.com/243/

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Daryl Styrk

RE: OT: laptop recomendations

Juan Carlos Avila Sanchez-2

www.emperorlinux.com

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

smil3y
Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

> Micha Feigin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that
>> will run
>> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
>> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important
>> is good
>> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
>> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service
>> is a must
>> since it's a working laptop.
>>
>> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at
>> best).  I
>> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just
>> about every
>> continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series
>> also has a
>> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience
>> with the
>> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>>
>> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either
>> stick with
>> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not
>> sure about
>> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>>
>> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when
>> looking at the
>> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up
>> to par
>> with the synaptic).
>>
>> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>>
>> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>>
>> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service
>> experience in
>> case of mulfunciton etc.
>>
>> Thanks

picked up a thinkpad T42 off lease, nice machine, everything works out
of the box.  also have an acer aspire, amd, nvidia, everything worked
out of the box.  alienware m9700, everything works except webcam.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Ismael Scalcon
I don't know about your fancy laptops that you have in the first
world, but here in Brazil I use an HP Pavillion dv1000 at work, and
the thing survived everything bad that could happen to an electronic
device (including being plugged in 380 Volt).
Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
and, so far, we had no problems with it.

Or, you can go with my personal choice, and buy an EEE Pc :-) (ok, I
know, it got no big screen and no processing power, but runs Debian
with Gnome really well and cover all my needs for the moment)

2008/12/11 Juan Carlos Avila <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

celejar
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:39:26 -0200
"Ismael Scalcon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, my girlfriend has bought herself an Acer Aspire (not the One),
> and, so far, we had no problems with it.

I've been using an Acer (Aspire 3690) for about two years with no
problems yet, but I baby it; I've never dropped it, spilled anything
into it, sat on it, etc.  The battery life is quite low, only about an
hour and a half when new, but I nearly always use it on AC.  [Tangent:
my impression is that that will help preserve the battery life, as
charge / discharge cycles reduce it.  Is this true?]

I've never dealt with Acer support.

This was already a low end machine when I purchased it, but it is quite
usable for my needs:

Celeron M 420 @ 1.6GHZ
512MB RAM (recently upgraded to 2GB, not because I needed it, but
because I found a steal on RAM)
60GB HDD
Broadcom wireless (4318, supported perfectly by b43)
15 inch screen, Intel 945GM graphics
Intel 82801G stuff inside

The OP asked about performance, but IIUC, that will depend mostly on
the actual components used, not on the build quality or any special
sauce of the integrator.  I daresay I'm oversimplifying, and I'll
appreciate corrections

Celejar

1234 ... 7