Quantcast

(OT) problem with unknown software

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

(OT) problem with unknown software

Glenn English-3
For several days, I've been getting email from myself, with no date,
title:

Problem: /dev/sdd is UNKNOWN at 2017-05-18 11:56:30 from sbox
(<correct IP>)

The body:

/dev/sdd () is Unavailable

The Received: header:

Received: from localhost (sbox.slsware.net [<correct IP>])
        by srv.slsware.net (srv.slsware.net) with ESMTP id 5701F2C06E2
        for <[hidden email]>; Thu, 18 May 2017 11:56:29 -0600 (MDT)

#1: There is, for sure, a /dev/sdd on the machine (it's half of md1, the
number 2 RAID1 array), and

#2: I can't remember what I installed (with Aptitude, almost certainly)
that's doing this.

Does anyone know what piece of bent software can find /dev/sda, b, and
c, but not sdd? Or what I did to break it?

--
Glenn English

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: (OT) problem with unknown software

Joel Rees-3
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 8:33 AM, ghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For several days, I've been getting email from myself, with no date,
> title:

Why the lack of date and title I can't say. Perhaps some configuration issue.

> Problem: /dev/sdd is UNKNOWN at 2017-05-18 11:56:30 from sbox
> (<correct IP>)
>
> The body:
>
> /dev/sdd () is Unavailable
>
> The Received: header:
>
> Received: from localhost (sbox.slsware.net [<correct IP>])
>         by srv.slsware.net (srv.slsware.net) with ESMTP id 5701F2C06E2
>         for <[hidden email]>; Thu, 18 May 2017 11:56:29 -0600 (MDT)

Set to log boot errors to e-mail, probably.

> #1: There is, for sure, a /dev/sdd on the machine (it's half of md1, the
> number 2 RAID1 array), and
>
> #2: I can't remember what I installed (with Aptitude, almost certainly)
> that's doing this.

Setting, rather than installed package.

> Does anyone know what piece of bent software can find /dev/sda, b, and
> c, but not sdd? Or what I did to break it?
>
> --
> Glenn English
>

Boot up process.

/dev/sdd is taking a long time to come on line for some reason.

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with a bare cast.

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: (OT) problem with unknown software

Anders Andersson
In reply to this post by Glenn English-3
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 1:33 AM, ghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> For several days, I've been getting email from myself, with no date,
> title:
>
> Problem: /dev/sdd is UNKNOWN at 2017-05-18 11:56:30 from sbox
> (<correct IP>)
>
> The body:
>
> /dev/sdd () is Unavailable
>
> The Received: header:
>
> Received: from localhost (sbox.slsware.net [<correct IP>])
>         by srv.slsware.net (srv.slsware.net) with ESMTP id 5701F2C06E2
>         for <[hidden email]>; Thu, 18 May 2017 11:56:29 -0600 (MDT)
>
> #1: There is, for sure, a /dev/sdd on the machine (it's half of md1, the
> number 2 RAID1 array), and
>
> #2: I can't remember what I installed (with Aptitude, almost certainly)
> that's doing this.
>
> Does anyone know what piece of bent software can find /dev/sda, b, and
> c, but not sdd? Or what I did to break it?

You don't write your debian version, or even if you *are* running
debian. Presumably you do, since you write here!

If you're running stretch, maybe it is because the recent update to
initramfs-tools messing with the RESUME variable?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: (OT) problem with unknown software

Glenn English-5
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Anders Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You don't write your debian version, or even if you *are* running
> debian. Presumably you do, since you write here!

Sorry, it's an XFCE Jessie. On a SuperMicro desktop.

--
Glenn English

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: (OT) problem with unknown software

Jimmy Johnson-8
On 05/19/2017 10:13 AM, Glenn English wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Anders Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You don't write your debian version, or even if you *are* running
>> debian. Presumably you do, since you write here!
>
> Sorry, it's an XFCE Jessie. On a SuperMicro desktop.
>
> --
> Glenn English

Hi Glenn, have you looked at this using gparted, maybe you can get some
info there, also is this partition/drive in fstab? Does #blkid give you
any info?
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Stretch - Plasma 5.8.6 - EXT4 at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: (OT) problem with unknown software

Glenn English-5
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:37 PM, Jimmy Johnson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Glenn, have you looked at this using gparted, maybe you can get some info
> there,

Just looked. gparted says sdd exists and that it, and the other disks
on this machine, all look normal.

> also is this partition/drive in fstab?

No, but the RAID it's part of is. And mdadm 'talks' about sdd all the time.

> Does #blkid give you any info?

Yes:

/dev/sdd1: UUID="ad23b327-e517-c291-0986-5a6ae6657163"
UUID_SUB="9cc1e462-4c63-07a7-9639-0752af2e8331" LABEL="sbox:1"
TYPE="linux_raid_member" PARTUUID="5aba7dbd-01"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="5907cd86-4996-91e7-6b9f-a5886737fa79"
UUID_SUB="74ca9ad5-d121-9297-238d-b432d21dcdfb" LABEL="sbox:0"
TYPE="linux_raid_member" PARTUUID="000867dd-01"
/dev/sda1: UUID="5907cd86-4996-91e7-6b9f-a5886737fa79"
UUID_SUB="5e039aa8-ca45-601a-f9ba-db17d5044b98" LABEL="sbox:0"
TYPE="linux_raid_member" PARTUUID="00028438-01"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="ad23b327-e517-c291-0986-5a6ae6657163"
UUID_SUB="0b4063d8-2ab4-577b-a2cd-dc6705132a60" LABEL="sbox:1"
TYPE="linux_raid_member" PARTUUID="b57dbdf8-01"
/dev/md0: LABEL="500G" UUID="55bd0602-9f5a-4110-909b-b2296d355819" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/md1p1: UUID="f3f01fc5-3e99-41f4-997b-626f649fd4ae" TYPE="swap"
PARTUUID="c47f5690-01"
/dev/md1p2: UUID="dc19a9b8-eb34-426c-901e-7864d342281d" TYPE="ext4"
PARTUUID="c47f5690-02"
/dev/md1: PTUUID="c47f5690" PTTYPE="dos"

Does that say anything to you? All it says to me is, "See the first line."

--
Glenn English

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: (OT) problem with unknown software

Jimmy Johnson-8
On 05/19/2017 05:34 PM, Glenn English wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:37 PM, Jimmy Johnson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Glenn, have you looked at this using gparted, maybe you can get some info
>> there,
>
> Just looked. gparted says sdd exists and that it, and the other disks
> on this machine, all look normal.
>
>> also is this partition/drive in fstab?
>
> No, but the RAID it's part of is. And mdadm 'talks' about sdd all the time.
>
>> Does #blkid give you any info?
>
> Yes:
>
> /dev/sdd1: UUID="ad23b327-e517-c291-0986-5a6ae6657163"
> UUID_SUB="9cc1e462-4c63-07a7-9639-0752af2e8331" LABEL="sbox:1"
> TYPE="linux_raid_member" PARTUUID="5aba7dbd-01"
> /dev/sdc1: UUID="5907cd86-4996-91e7-6b9f-a5886737fa79"
> UUID_SUB="74ca9ad5-d121-9297-238d-b432d21dcdfb" LABEL="sbox:0"
> TYPE="linux_raid_member" PARTUUID="000867dd-01"
> /dev/sda1: UUID="5907cd86-4996-91e7-6b9f-a5886737fa79"
> UUID_SUB="5e039aa8-ca45-601a-f9ba-db17d5044b98" LABEL="sbox:0"
> TYPE="linux_raid_member" PARTUUID="00028438-01"
> /dev/sdb1: UUID="ad23b327-e517-c291-0986-5a6ae6657163"
> UUID_SUB="0b4063d8-2ab4-577b-a2cd-dc6705132a60" LABEL="sbox:1"
> TYPE="linux_raid_member" PARTUUID="b57dbdf8-01"
> /dev/md0: LABEL="500G" UUID="55bd0602-9f5a-4110-909b-b2296d355819" TYPE="ext4"
> /dev/md1p1: UUID="f3f01fc5-3e99-41f4-997b-626f649fd4ae" TYPE="swap"
> PARTUUID="c47f5690-01"
> /dev/md1p2: UUID="dc19a9b8-eb34-426c-901e-7864d342281d" TYPE="ext4"
> PARTUUID="c47f5690-02"
> /dev/md1: PTUUID="c47f5690" PTTYPE="dos"
>
> Does that say anything to you? All it says to me is, "See the first line."

Glen from your first post "/dev/sdd () is Unavailable" normally when I
get a message like that it indicates a fstab problem the drive/partition
or directory is not there, so it could be a simple edit problem.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Stretch - Plasma 5.8.6 - EXT4 at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263

Loading...