Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

Cichas
Hello guys,
sorry if this is documented somewhere but today I decided to ask here as it is something fundamental I cannot understand. After 20 years I decided to try Debian again (as VM for start). I am installing it from debian-10.3.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso. As it is in remote location with problematic Internet access I wanted to do offline install. After several attempts I figured out that it is not possible to install SSH server from "Install" menu (text mode) if I will do it as offline install without allowing to use mirror. Which makes no sense. If I have Internet access then I can do easy apt-get update && apt install openssh-server so no need to install it from install menu. But when I have no Internet then I will end with machine without any remote access and no easy way to fix that. I have checked the ISO image and SSH server should be on it (/pool/main/o/openssh/openssh-server_7.9p1-10+deb10u2_amd64.deb) so that's also not reason why it is not offered to install it without allowing mirror.

Software selection screens:
Offline (not selecting the mirror): https://paste.pics/207074a621d7329f025a519e8d835363
Online: https://paste.pics/a5401240d365799e2b7768e009c8dec8

So can anybody enlighten me why it is set like this and if it is possible to do anything with it (fill a bug? against which package?), please?

Kind regards,
 Ivan

Re: Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

john doe-6
On 3/4/2020 4:32 PM, Cichas wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> sorry if this is documented somewhere but today I decided to ask here as it
> is something fundamental I cannot understand. After 20 years I decided to
> try Debian again (as VM for start). I am installing it from debian-10.3.0-
> amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso. As it is in remote location with problematic Internet

This is a cd where I would try a DVD.

> access I wanted to do offline install. After several attempts I figured out
> that it is not possible to install SSH server from "Install" menu (text
> mode) if I will do it as offline install without allowing to use mirror.
> Which makes no sense. If I have Internet access then I can do easy apt-get
> update && apt install openssh-server so no need to install it from install
> menu. But when I have no Internet then I will end with machine without any
> remote access and no easy way to fix that. I have checked the ISO image and
> SSH server should be on it (/pool/main/o/openssh/openssh-server_7.9p1-10+deb
> 10u2_amd64.deb) so that's also not reason why it is not offered to install

If I'm not mistaking, this is the SSH server used during installation
but not after installation.

> it without allowing mirror.
>

> Software selection screens:
>
> Offline (not selecting the mirror): https://paste.pics/207074a621d7329f025a
> 519e8d835363
>
> Online: https://paste.pics/a5401240d365799e2b7768e009c8dec8
>

> So can anybody enlighten me why it is set like this and if it is possible to
> do anything with it (fill a bug? against which package?), please?

Have a go with the DVD.

John Doe

Re: Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

Richard Hector
On 5/03/20 4:32 am, Cichas wrote:

> Hello guys,
> sorry if this is documented somewhere but today I decided to ask here as
> it is something fundamental I cannot understand. After 20 years I
> decided to try Debian again (as VM for start). I am installing it from
> debian-10.3.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso. As it is in remote location with
> problematic Internet access I wanted to do offline install. After
> several attempts I figured out that it is not possible to install SSH
> server from "Install" menu (text mode) if I will do it as offline
> install without allowing to use mirror. Which makes no sense. If I have
> Internet access then I can do easy apt-get update && apt install
> openssh-server so no need to install it from install menu. But when I
> have no Internet then I will end with machine without any remote access
> and no easy way to fix that. I have checked the ISO image and SSH server
> should be on it
> (/pool/main/o/openssh/openssh-server_7.9p1-10+deb10u2_amd64.deb) so
> that's also not reason why it is not offered to install it without
> allowing mirror.
>
> Software selection screens:
> Offline (not selecting the mirror):
> https://paste.pics/207074a621d7329f025a519e8d835363
> Online: https://paste.pics/a5401240d365799e2b7768e009c8dec8

When you say offline, do you just mean that you're not selecting a
mirror? Or do you mean that you're not connected to the Internet at all?
I could see that it might decide not to bother with networking software
if there's no network - but I haven't done a CD-only installation in
years; I normally use netinst.

And when you say it's remote - do you mean you're connecting to it
remotely somehow, or just that it's a long way from the rest of the
world, but you're still sitting in front of it?

Richard

Re: Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

Keith Bainbridge-2
On 5/3/20 8:37 am, Richard Hector wrote:
> I am installing it from
> debian-10.3.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso.

Is this CD #1 of the set of 3 or 4 or more? The .deb you are looking for
may be on one of the other CDs.

I agree with the suggestion to try the DVD.   Seems the 'netinstall' is
the opposite of what you need.

I get that you'd like to complete the install without connecting if you
have a flaky internet, but if you're not connected, I don't see how the
install will set up you debian mirror.

--
Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]
+61 (0)447 667 468

Re: Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

007@caiway.net
On Wed, 04 Mar 2020 16:32:42 +0100 (CET)
Cichas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> sorry if this is documented somewhere but today I decided to ask here
> as it is something fundamental I cannot understand. After 20 years I
> decided to try Debian again (as VM for start). I am installing it
> from debian-10.3.0- amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso. As it is in remote location
> with problematic Internet access I wanted to do offline install.

Not a real answer to your question, but you could build an install
Blu-ray with the jigdo-tool.

https://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/

The current first one (buster) you can create is 21 GB in size.
There are 4 Blu-rays in total.
You need a writer/reader for those disks of course,
not sure if dd to an USB flash drive works with the Blu-ray iso-file.
I use a special USB flash drive which supports booting from iso-files,
the IODD mini (I did just a test, the debian install Blu-ray iso-file
boots fine)
 http://iodd.kr/wordpress/product/iodd-mini/

Hope this helps

Re: Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Mi, 04 mar 20, 16:32:42, Cichas wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> sorry if this is documented somewhere but today I decided to ask here as it
> is something fundamental I cannot understand. After 20 years I decided to
> try Debian again (as VM for start). I am installing it from debian-10.3.0-
> amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso. As it is in remote location with problematic Internet
> access I wanted to do offline install. After several attempts I figured out
> that it is not possible to install SSH server from "Install" menu (text
> mode) if I will do it as offline install without allowing to use mirror.
> Which makes no sense. If I have Internet access then I can do easy apt-get
> update && apt install openssh-server so no need to install it from install
> menu. But when I have no Internet then I will end with machine without any
> remote access and no easy way to fix that. I have checked the ISO image and
> SSH server should be on it (/pool/main/o/openssh/openssh-server_7.9p1-10+deb
> 10u2_amd64.deb) so that's also not reason why it is not offered to install
> it without allowing mirror.
Did the installer add the CD to your sources.list? (it should have)
If yes, the try 'apt install openssh-server' after the installation is
complete with the CD in the drive.

If this succeeds you should probably file an installation report

    reportbug installation-report

Kind regards,
Andrei

On Mi, 04 mar 20, 18:00:12, john doe wrote:
> On 3/4/2020 4:32 PM, Cichas wrote:
> > I have checked the ISO image and SSH server should be on it
> > (/pool/main/o/openssh/openssh-server_7.9p1-10+deb
> > 10u2_amd64.deb) so that's also not reason why it is not offered to
> > install
>
> If I'm not mistaking, this is the SSH server used during installation
> but not after installation.

The installer uses 'udeb' packages, the 'deb's are for the final system.

Kind regards,
Andrei

On 5/03/20 12:10 pm, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> On 5/3/20 8:37 am, Richard Hector wrote:
>> I am installing it from
>> debian-10.3.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso.

No I didn't. The OP (Cichas) did.

> Is this CD #1 of the set of 3 or 4 or more? The .deb you are looking for
> may be on one of the other CDs.

I doubt very much openssh-server got pushed off the first CD. Especially
since the OP found the deb on the ISO image.

> I agree with the suggestion to try the DVD.   Seems the 'netinstall' is
> the opposite of what you need.

I agree the netinstall image might not have it, but the OP isn't using
the netinstall image.

Richard

Re: Offline install from CD - not allowed to install SSH server

Kenneth Parker-2

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 7:46 AM Richard Hector <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/03/20 12:10 pm, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> On 5/3/20 8:37 am, Richard Hector wrote:
>> I am installing it from
>> debian-10.3.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso.

No I didn't. The OP (Cichas) did.

> Is this CD #1 of the set of 3 or 4 or more? The .deb you are looking for
> may be on one of the other CDs.

I doubt very much openssh-server got pushed off the first CD. Especially
since the OP found the deb on the ISO image.

> I agree with the suggestion to try the DVD.   Seems the 'netinstall' is
> the opposite of what you need.

I agree the netinstall image might not have it, but the OP isn't using
the netinstall image.

Okay.  As an "Informed Responder", I thought I would do something, related to this Thread.  It is noted in another Thread, with a question about Non-Free Firmware on a separate USB Stick.  But I downloaded Buster 10.3 Gnome Live DVD, and am trying to get a "Live DVD" Gnome Environment running on a Lenovo Ideapad 320 Laptop.  Now, this Laptop has two, main Non-Free Firmware Requirements:  amdgpu for Graphics and ath10k for Wifi.  To support an earlier Buster netinst CD install, I put those Non-Free Firmware bin files on a 16G USB Stick (formatted as vfat), with the proper Directory Structure (which needs to be documented better).  At the right time, the netinst install took the aht10k Firmware from that USB, allowing me to use it with WiFi, without an Ethernet connection.

Now, you are asking the Original Poster of *this* Thread to use a Buster DVD, instead of "CD-1".  I think both of us would be happier, if there was an "Expert Path" towards booting this DVD, mainly allowing us to provide Non-Free Firmware.

What do you think?  Thanks!

Kenneth Parker