[Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

Michael Pobega
I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
#debian and #debian-eeepc

Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
to run my own tunnel or proxy.

--
                    http://identica/mpobega

Re: [Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

Paul Gupta
Michael Pobega wrote:
> I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> #debian and #debian-eeepc
>
> Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
> to run my own tunnel or proxy.

Do you have access to an SSH server somewhere?

Re: [Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

Davide Mancusi-2
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:08:56 -0500
Michael Pobega <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> #debian and #debian-eeepc
>
> Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't
> afford to run my own tunnel or proxy.

        There are web-based IRC clients. GIYF.

Cheers,
Davide

--
Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: [Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

Lee Glidewell
On Monday 19 January 2009 14:08:56 Michael Pobega wrote:
> I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> #debian and #debian-eeepc
>
> Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
> to run my own tunnel or proxy.

I doubt they block the clients, but rather the ports used by said clients.
Also, try Mibbit if you haven't yet.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:11:44PM -0500, Paul Gupta wrote:

> Michael Pobega wrote:
>> I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
>> IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
>> #debian and #debian-eeepc
>>
>> Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
>> similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
>> to run my own tunnel or proxy.
>>

> Do you have access to an SSH server somewhere?

Nope. I wish I had a blinkenshell account, but I can't actually get into
IRC to get two members to vouch for me. Does anyone know of any good
free/cheap shell services that offer IRC? (I wouldn't mind paying say
$1/month for it, but it'd be preferable not to since I don't have my own
PayPal).

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 02:32:35PM -0800, L Glidewell wrote:

> On Monday 19 January 2009 14:08:56 Michael Pobega wrote:
> > I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> > IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> > #debian and #debian-eeepc
> >
> > Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> > similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
> > to run my own tunnel or proxy.
>
> I doubt they block the clients, but rather the ports used by said clients.
> Also, try Mibbit if you haven't yet.

Well yeah, web-based IRC works but I'd like to avoid it since I monitor
so many channels and have accounts on four IRC networks. I'd be a pain
to spend a whole two minutes logging into everything.

I've read about ezbounce, but I'd need a computer between my own and
the IRC server to use it, right? Or could I host it locally for the
same effect?

On Monday 19 January 2009 14:48:37 Michael Pobega wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 02:32:35PM -0800, L Glidewell wrote:
> > On Monday 19 January 2009 14:08:56 Michael Pobega wrote:
> > > I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> > > IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> > > #debian and #debian-eeepc
> > >
> > > Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> > > similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't
> > > afford to run my own tunnel or proxy.
> >
> > I doubt they block the clients, but rather the ports used by said
> > clients. Also, try Mibbit if you haven't yet.
>
> Well yeah, web-based IRC works but I'd like to avoid it since I monitor
> so many channels and have accounts on four IRC networks. I'd be a pain
> to spend a whole two minutes logging into everything.
>
> I've read about ezbounce, but I'd need a computer between my own and
> the IRC server to use it, right? Or could I host it locally for the
> same effect?
My point was just that some irc networks offer non-default ports - partly just
for the security of client software, since non-standard ports make some
exploits a lot less efficient.

Whether this will apply to your networks, or whether or not doing this will
violate the terms of your residency at this dorm, is something only you can
find out for certain.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 02:56:42PM -0800, L Glidewell wrote:

> On Monday 19 January 2009 14:48:37 Michael Pobega wrote:

> > > I doubt they block the clients, but rather the ports used by said
> > > clients. Also, try Mibbit if you haven't yet.
> >
> > Well yeah, web-based IRC works but I'd like to avoid it since I monitor
> > so many channels and have accounts on four IRC networks. I'd be a pain
> > to spend a whole two minutes logging into everything.
> >
> > I've read about ezbounce, but I'd need a computer between my own and
> > the IRC server to use it, right? Or could I host it locally for the
> > same effect?
> My point was just that some irc networks offer non-default ports - partly just
> for the security of client software, since non-standard ports make some
> exploits a lot less efficient.

Wow, that actually worked. I didn't realize that Freenode offered
connections on non-standard ports (I actually gave up looking after I
found out they removed SSL encryption, since I figured that's what I
needed).

Thanks for the help, sorry that the answer was so damn trivial. Now
let's wait and see when they realize that I am using IRC... Which will
happen within the week, I'm sure.

--
                    http://identica/mpobega

RE: [Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

Stackpole, Chris

I know I am late to the party, but thought I would chime in anyway. It
has been a few years, but when I had the same issues at my school I used
SDF ( http://sdf.lonestar.org ). I am not sure about pricing now, but
back then they only required 1$ to sign up and that was just to prevent
people from using their services as spam/attacks/ect. It was a good when
I needed it.

Have fun!
~Stack~

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:25:04AM -0600, Stackpole, Chris wrote:

> [...]
Thanks for the tipoff, perhaps I'll pay their price to use IRC, but do
they have irssi as an IRC client? Perhaps I'll give it a spin this
Sunday, as IRC access is free on Sundays.

--
                    http://identica/mpobega

Re: [Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

charlie derr
Michael Pobega wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:25:04AM -0600, Stackpole, Chris wrote:

Once you have a place to SSH into, you can tunnel to a local port and use whatever client (including non-command-line choices) that you
prefer on your local machine.

man ssh

        ~c

Re: [Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

S. Fishpaste
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:47:16 -0500, Michael Pobega in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:11:44PM -0500, Paul Gupta wrote:
>> Michael Pobega wrote:
>>> I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
>>> IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
>>> #debian and #debian-eeepc
>>>
>>> Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
>>> similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
>>> to run my own tunnel or proxy.
>>>

>> Do you have access to an SSH server somewhere?
>>

> Nope. I wish I had a blinkenshell account, but I can't actually get into
> IRC to get two members to vouch for me. Does anyone know of any good
> free/cheap shell services that offer IRC? (I wouldn't mind paying say
> $1/month for it, but it'd be preferable not to since I don't have my own
> PayPal).

Might want to check out sdf.lonestar.org A shell account can be had for
quite cheap. Runs on BSD though.

S. Fishpaste

Re: [Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

Kousik Maiti
Hello everybody,
For IRC check http://www.mibbit.com/..
Enjoy

Kousik Maiti
Registered Linux User #474025

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:58:04AM +0530, Kousik Maiti wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> For IRC check http://www.mibbit.com/..
> Enjoy

I don't know if you read the rest of the thread but I stated at one
point that I'd like to avoid web-based IRC services. I appreciate the
effort though.

--
                  http://pobega.wordpress.com
                    http://identica/mpobega

Re: [Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

Paul Johnson
Michael Pobega wrote:
> I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> #debian and #debian-eeepc
>
> Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
> to run my own tunnel or proxy.

You could always use XMPP to connect to IRC.  Some site implementations
support for connecting to protocols it obsoleted, such as IRC, AIM, MSN,
etc.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:00:28AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Michael Pobega wrote:
> > I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> > IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> > #debian and #debian-eeepc
> >
> > Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> > similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
> > to run my own tunnel or proxy.
> >
> You could always use XMPP to connect to IRC.  Some site implementations
> support for connecting to protocols it obsoleted, such as IRC, AIM, MSN,
> etc.

Do you know of any XMPP servers with an IRC transport? I've never heard
of that. I mean, I've heard of AIM/MSN/etc, but never IRC.

--
                  http://pobega.wordpress.com
                    http://identica/mpobega