Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Anil F Duggirala
I had installed Windows 10 and Debian 8.8 (with LXDE) in dual boot
(UEFI) and everything was working. I wanted to reinstall Debian, so I
installed Debian again by deleting the debian partitions (I think
correctly) using the Debian installer partitioner and choosing the
Guided use largest continuous space option, this time I installed with
the Gnome desktop environment. I am getting a Oh No, Something has gone
wrong message, the system cannot recover' message after booting into
Debian. Should I have deleted the prior Debian entry in the EFI
partition? does this have anything to do with this error? Is there any
other solution to this problem?
thanks a lot,

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Fungi4All

I had installed Windows 10 and Debian 8.8 (with LXDE) in dual boot
(UEFI) and everything was working. I wanted to reinstall Debian, so I
installed Debian again by deleting the debian partitions (I think
correctly) using the Debian installer partitioner and choosing the
Guided use largest continuous space option, this time I installed with
the Gnome desktop environment. I am getting a Oh No, Something has gone
wrong message, the system cannot recover' message after booting into
Debian. Should I have deleted the prior Debian entry in the EFI
partition? does this have anything to do with this error? Is there any
other solution to this problem?

Check the UUIDs of the system (ls -lh /dev/disk/by-UUID) and compare the uuid of the partition with the one listed in the grub.cfg to see if they match.  Probably by deleting and formating the partition a new UUID was created that does not match the prexisting one.  If you have other systems and installed debian without its own bootloader the existing grub is from previous installations and was not updated.  If the "other" system boots fine and gives you access to its own grub, just do a (sudo update-grub) and it will locate the new installation with the correct uuid and replace the menu entry.

Just guessing the details you did not post.

thanks a lot,

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Felix Miata-3
Anil Duggirala composed on 2017-05-20 19:56 (UTC-0500):

We can help you better if you can provide more information.

When was your PC new? What make and model is it?

Are you able to Ctrl-Alt-Fn and log in? If yes, try to show us output at least
from:

        inxi -c0 -G
or
        inxi -c0 -v1
or
        lspci -nnk | grep -A4 'VGA'

Also if yes, we probably need to see /var/log/Xorg.0.log if you can reach it.
Send it to https://paste.debian.net/ if you are able. If not, you may be able to
show it to us via the instructions on http://termbin.com/ .

If you haven't been there already, read through:

Same for:
http://bfy.tw/Bubv

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Jimmy Johnson-8
On 05/20/2017 05:56 PM, Anil Duggirala wrote:

> I had installed Windows 10 and Debian 8.8 (with LXDE) in dual boot
> (UEFI) and everything was working. I wanted to reinstall Debian, so I
> installed Debian again by deleting the debian partitions (I think
> correctly) using the Debian installer partitioner and choosing the
> Guided use largest continuous space option, this time I installed with
> the Gnome desktop environment. I am getting a Oh No, Something has gone
> wrong message, the system cannot recover' message after booting into
> Debian. Should I have deleted the prior Debian entry in the EFI
> partition? does this have anything to do with this error? Is there any
> other solution to this problem?
> thanks a lot,

No, you should NOT have deleted the partition, now your partition table
is messed up.  All you had to do was format or better yet just delete
the files and reinstall, by deleting the files you can save /home. But
now you need to look at that drive with a partition editor like gparted,
maybe use a live-cd with gparted installed OR the wheezy live disc will
let you install gparted.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - Plasma 5.8.6 - EXT4 at sda15
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Pascal Hambourg-2

Bullshit. This is just a Gnome error.

Le 21/05/2017 à 03:40, Fungi4All a écrit :

> [...]

No. The new installation deleted it automatically.

> does this have anything to do with this error?

No.

> Check the UUIDs of the system (ls -lh /dev/disk/by-UUID)

Irrelevant.
This is just a Gnome error, mostly due to lack of required features in
the graphics subsystem. LXDE worked fine because it has fewer
requirements than Gnome. Sometimes you just need to install non-free
firmwares (often with a Radeon GPU). Sometimes you need to install newer
kernel or Xorg drivers. Felix's answer instructs how to gather useful
information.

On 05/21/2017 12:57 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 21/05/2017 à 09:55, Jimmy Johnson a écrit :

>> No, you should NOT have deleted the partition, now your partition table
>> is messed up.
>
> Bullshit. This is just a Gnome error.

Unless you are deleting the last partition your partition table is going
to be messed up. I hope you enjoy your B.S. You can workaround by using
UUID, but personally I do not care for a messed up partition table.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - Plasma 5.8.6 - EXT4 at sda15
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Michael Milliman

On 05/21/2017 05:09 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> On 05/21/2017 12:57 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> Le 21/05/2017 à 09:55, Jimmy Johnson a écrit :
>
>>> No, you should NOT have deleted the partition, now your partition table
>>> is messed up.
>>
>> Bullshit. This is just a Gnome error.
>
> Unless you are deleting the last partition your partition table is going
> to be messed up. I hope you enjoy your B.S. You can workaround by using
> UUID, but personally I do not care for a messed up partition table.
I also call B.S. on this response.  The OPs problem has absolutely
nothing to do with the partition table or the UUIDs of the various
partitions.  If it did, the system would not have gotten to the point of
starting GNOME.  Adding, deleting and resizing partitions, using the
appropriate tools, is relatively save in the modern era.  I have, on
many occasions over the years deleted and re-arranged the partitions on
my system to accommodate changing needs and have had no problems whatsoever.
--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray

On 05/21/2017 03:25 AM, Michael Milliman wrote:

> On 05/21/2017 05:09 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>>> Bullshit. This is just a Gnome error.
>>
>> Unless you are deleting the last partition your partition table is going
>> to be messed up. I hope you enjoy your B.S. You can workaround by using
>> UUID, but personally I do not care for a messed up partition table.
> I also call B.S. on this response.  The OPs problem has absolutely
> nothing to do with the partition table or the UUIDs of the various
> partitions.  If it did, the system would not have gotten to the point of
> starting GNOME.  Adding, deleting and resizing partitions, using the
> appropriate tools, is relatively save in the modern era.  I have, on
> many occasions over the years deleted and re-arranged the partitions on
> my system to accommodate changing needs and have had no problems whatsoever.

Michael what I'm saying is if you have sda1,sda2,sda3, partitions and
you delete sda2 partition, sda3 becomes sda2 and if you make a new
partition, even in the same unused space it will become sda3. So, in the
end the drive will read sda1,sda3,sda2 and personally I can't live like
that, I have to many systems to tend too. But as it's been mentioned you
can use UUID if your fstab and that reminds me, if you delete or format
a partition the UUID will change, #blkid will give you the UUID's.  I
hear your argument, but I say back-up and start over, do it right.

Le 21/05/2017 à 12:48, Jimmy Johnson a écrit :

> Michael what I'm saying is if you have sda1,sda2,sda3, partitions and
> you delete sda2 partition, sda3 becomes sda2 and if you make a new
> partition, even in the same unused space it will become sda3.

Bullshit again. Unless the partition table is implicitly reordered (no
partitioning tool I know does this), primary partitions are not
renumbered when deleting or adding a partition. There can be sda3
without sda2. Only logical partitions may be renumbered when deleting or
adding another logical partition, because there cannot be sda5 without sda6.

> So, in the
> end the drive will read sda1,sda3,sda2 and personally I can't live like
> that

Out-of order partitions are harmless. Partition numbers are just
numbers. I guess you must hate LVM too.

> I have to many systems to tend too. But as it's been mentioned you
> can use UUID if your fstab

You *should* use UUIDs or any other persistent identifier unless you
have a very good reason not to. Disk and partition device names are not
persistent, hence not reliable as volume identifiers. The Debian
installer does use UUIDs by default.

Anyway, this again has nothing to do with the OP's problem.

On 05/21/2017 05:48 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> On 05/21/2017 03:25 AM, Michael Milliman wrote:

>>> Unless you are deleting the last partition your partition table is going
>>> to be messed up. I hope you enjoy your B.S. You can workaround by using
>>> UUID, but personally I do not care for a messed up partition table.
>> I also call B.S. on this response.  The OPs problem has absolutely
>> nothing to do with the partition table or the UUIDs of the various
>> partitions.  If it did, the system would not have gotten to the point of
>> starting GNOME.  Adding, deleting and resizing partitions, using the
>> appropriate tools, is relatively save in the modern era.  I have, on
>> many occasions over the years deleted and re-arranged the partitions on
>> my system to accommodate changing needs and have had no problems
>> whatsoever.
>
> Michael what I'm saying is if you have sda1,sda2,sda3, partitions and
> you delete sda2 partition, sda3 becomes sda2 and if you make a new
> partition, even in the same unused space it will become sda3. So, in the
> end the drive will read sda1,sda3,sda2 and personally I can't live like
> that, I have to many systems to tend too. But as it's been mentioned you
> can use UUID if your fstab and that reminds me, if you delete or format
> a partition the UUID will change, #blkid will give you the UUID's.  I
> hear your argument, but I say back-up and start over, do it right.
The Debian Installer uses UUIDs in the entries in the /etc/fstab file,
so changing the numbering of the partitions (/dev/sda2 vs. /dev/sda3)
does not have an effect on the overall functioning of the system.  You
can also use partition labels in the fstab file as well, as I do
frequently, as I move data from drive to drive on occasion and simply
relabel the partitions to move with the data.  With that, there is no
need to change the fstab when I move data around.

However, the OP's post does not mention anything of this nature.  The OP
deleted the existing Debian partition(s) leaving the existing Windows
partition(s) alone.  No mention was made of the ordering of the
partitions on the drive.  The OP then re-installed Debian with the
Debian installer, effectively starting from scratch with Debian.
Everything seems to work, except GNOME is crashing on boot.  There are
several things that can cause this, and I have caused some of them on my
system before, however the fact that this is a fresh install limits the
possible causes, the most likely of them being a missing (non-free?)
video driver or some such required by GNOME to run properly.  The way
the OP went about scrapping and re-installing the Debian system is valid
and should not have caused a problem under normal circumstances.  Hence
the suspicion of a missing driver (again probably non-free, and likely
Radeon as well...I've had similar issues with my laptop).

--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray

On 05/21/2017 08:48 AM, Michael Milliman wrote:

> On 05/21/2017 05:48 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>>> I also call B.S. on this response.  The OPs problem has absolutely
>>> nothing to do with the partition table or the UUIDs of the various
>>> partitions.  If it did, the system would not have gotten to the point of
>>> starting GNOME.  Adding, deleting and resizing partitions, using the
>>> appropriate tools, is relatively save in the modern era.  I have, on
>>> many occasions over the years deleted and re-arranged the partitions on
>>> my system to accommodate changing needs and have had no problems
>>> whatsoever.
>>
>> Michael what I'm saying is if you have sda1,sda2,sda3, partitions and
>> you delete sda2 partition, sda3 becomes sda2 and if you make a new
>> partition, even in the same unused space it will become sda3. So, in the
>> end the drive will read sda1,sda3,sda2 and personally I can't live like
>> that, I have to many systems to tend too. But as it's been mentioned you
>> can use UUID if your fstab and that reminds me, if you delete or format
>> a partition the UUID will change, #blkid will give you the UUID's.  I
>> hear your argument, but I say back-up and start over, do it right.
> The Debian Installer uses UUIDs in the entries in the /etc/fstab file,
> so changing the numbering of the partitions (/dev/sda2 vs. /dev/sda3)
> does not have an effect on the overall functioning of the system.  You
> can also use partition labels in the fstab file as well, as I do
> frequently, as I move data from drive to drive on occasion and simply
> relabel the partitions to move with the data.  With that, there is no
> need to change the fstab when I move data around.
>
> However, the OP's post does not mention anything of this nature.  The OP
> deleted the existing Debian partition(s) leaving the existing Windows
> partition(s) alone.  No mention was made of the ordering of the
> partitions on the drive.  The OP then re-installed Debian with the
> Debian installer, effectively starting from scratch with Debian.
> Everything seems to work, except GNOME is crashing on boot.  There are
> several things that can cause this, and I have caused some of them on my
> system before, however the fact that this is a fresh install limits the
> possible causes, the most likely of them being a missing (non-free?)
> video driver or some such required by GNOME to run properly.  The way
> the OP went about scrapping and re-installing the Debian system is valid
> and should not have caused a problem under normal circumstances.  Hence
> the suspicion of a missing driver (again probably non-free, and likely
> Radeon as well...I've had similar issues with my laptop).

I have a Lenovo laptop with the problem you describe and it's a
kernel/video/plasma problem, works fine with the old Sid 4.7 kernel but
not with the 4.9, first boot is ok, on restart you will not get the DM
or x and may freeze up.  Sometimes switching back and forth on the
consoles will get you x, alt+ctrl+F2-F1-F3-F7. Jessie back-ports are
also 4.9 and don't work right too. The problem here is an
Intel-965-mobile, I'm going to install the Jessie kernel and see if that
works or maybe a Ubuntu kernel, I think they are 4.4 and 4.8, I know the
4.4 will work, for me anyways, but I have to do something cause the 4.7
kernel is old now and not getting security updates.

On 05/21/2017 12:23 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> On 05/21/2017 08:48 AM, Michael Milliman wrote:

>>> Michael what I'm saying is if you have sda1,sda2,sda3, partitions and
>>> you delete sda2 partition, sda3 becomes sda2 and if you make a new
>>> partition, even in the same unused space it will become sda3. So, in the
>>> end the drive will read sda1,sda3,sda2 and personally I can't live like
>>> that, I have to many systems to tend too. But as it's been mentioned you
>>> can use UUID if your fstab and that reminds me, if you delete or format
>>> a partition the UUID will change, #blkid will give you the UUID's.  I
>>> hear your argument, but I say back-up and start over, do it right.
>> The Debian Installer uses UUIDs in the entries in the /etc/fstab file,
>> so changing the numbering of the partitions (/dev/sda2 vs. /dev/sda3)
>> does not have an effect on the overall functioning of the system.  You
>> can also use partition labels in the fstab file as well, as I do
>> frequently, as I move data from drive to drive on occasion and simply
>> relabel the partitions to move with the data.  With that, there is no
>> need to change the fstab when I move data around.
>>
>> However, the OP's post does not mention anything of this nature.  The OP
>> deleted the existing Debian partition(s) leaving the existing Windows
>> partition(s) alone.  No mention was made of the ordering of the
>> partitions on the drive.  The OP then re-installed Debian with the
>> Debian installer, effectively starting from scratch with Debian.
>> Everything seems to work, except GNOME is crashing on boot.  There are
>> several things that can cause this, and I have caused some of them on my
>> system before, however the fact that this is a fresh install limits the
>> possible causes, the most likely of them being a missing (non-free?)
>> video driver or some such required by GNOME to run properly.  The way
>> the OP went about scrapping and re-installing the Debian system is valid
>> and should not have caused a problem under normal circumstances.  Hence
>> the suspicion of a missing driver (again probably non-free, and likely
>> Radeon as well...I've had similar issues with my laptop).
>
> I have a Lenovo laptop with the problem you describe and it's a
> kernel/video/plasma problem, works fine with the old Sid 4.7 kernel but
> not with the 4.9, first boot is ok, on restart you will not get the DM
> or x and may freeze up.  Sometimes switching back and forth on the
> consoles will get you x, alt+ctrl+F2-F1-F3-F7. Jessie back-ports are
> also 4.9 and don't work right too. The problem here is an
> Intel-965-mobile, I'm going to install the Jessie kernel and see if that
> works or maybe a Ubuntu kernel, I think they are 4.4 and 4.8, I know the
> 4.4 will work, for me anyways, but I have to do something cause the 4.7
> kernel is old now and not getting security updates.
Hey, its better than the 3.16 kernel I was stuck with for a long time up
until just a couple of months. :)  In my case, laptop would boot, but
the screen would be completely blanked out.  If I caught the boot
process at just the right time with a alt+ctl+F1, I could get it to
finish booting, if I missed the window, it was power-off, power-on!! :(
The first-boot on 3.16  would do usually boot into software emulation
mode, and then I installed the Radeon drivers, and everything was OK.  I
have 4.9 running now and working fine. Video drivers and wifi drivers
have been my bane for many a year!
--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray

On 05/21/2017 12:52 PM, Michael Milliman wrote:

> On 05/21/2017 12:23 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>>> However, the OP's post does not mention anything of this nature.  The OP
>>> deleted the existing Debian partition(s) leaving the existing Windows
>>> partition(s) alone.  No mention was made of the ordering of the
>>> partitions on the drive.  The OP then re-installed Debian with the
>>> Debian installer, effectively starting from scratch with Debian.
>>> Everything seems to work, except GNOME is crashing on boot.  There are
>>> several things that can cause this, and I have caused some of them on my
>>> system before, however the fact that this is a fresh install limits the
>>> possible causes, the most likely of them being a missing (non-free?)
>>> video driver or some such required by GNOME to run properly.  The way
>>> the OP went about scrapping and re-installing the Debian system is valid
>>> and should not have caused a problem under normal circumstances.  Hence
>>> the suspicion of a missing driver (again probably non-free, and likely
>>> Radeon as well...I've had similar issues with my laptop).

>> I have a Lenovo laptop with the problem you describe and it's a
>> kernel/video/plasma problem, works fine with the old Sid 4.7 kernel but
>> not with the 4.9, first boot is ok, on restart you will not get the DM
>> or x and may freeze up.  Sometimes switching back and forth on the
>> consoles will get you x, alt+ctrl+F2-F1-F3-F7. Jessie back-ports are
>> also 4.9 and don't work right too. The problem here is an
>> Intel-965-mobile, I'm going to install the Jessie kernel and see if that
>> works or maybe a Ubuntu kernel, I think they are 4.4 and 4.8, I know the
>> 4.4 will work, for me anyways, but I have to do something cause the 4.7
>> kernel is old now and not getting security updates.
> Hey, its better than the 3.16 kernel I was stuck with for a long time up
> until just a couple of months. :)  In my case, laptop would boot, but
> the screen would be completely blanked out.  If I caught the boot
> process at just the right time with a alt+ctl+F1, I could get it to
> finish booting, if I missed the window, it was power-off, power-on!! :(
> The first-boot on 3.16  would do usually boot into software emulation
> mode, and then I installed the Radeon drivers, and everything was OK.  I
> have 4.9 running now and working fine. Video drivers and wifi drivers
> have been my bane for many a year!

I had to remove all Debian firmware and installed linux-image-generic
and linux-headers-generic and Ubuntu's firmware-linux, but now it's
running 4.4.0-21-generic, it's booting fine and I can get updates too.
So this kernel problem I've had for more than a year is fixed, I was
going to wait for Stretch to go final but I've waited long enough. This
was on two systems Sid/Testing and Stretch. The version I'm using is
Ubuntu 16.04, just in case the OP wants to try it, I used Synaptic to do
the work and pinned the Debian release so not to pickup any other Ubuntu
packages not needed and I was able to rid more than 800Mb of Debian
kernel's on each system.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - Plasma 5.8.6 - EXT4 at sda15
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Anil F Duggirala
Thanks everyone for your responses. I did not expect such quick and full
response. I also really don't believe it has anything to do with
partitioning (Debian deleted the partitions and created exactly
corresponding partitions with guided partitioning).
More info: When I installed initially with LXDE, I had horrible graphics
and no touchpad, upon installing the Linux-image from backports (4.9),
these problems were resolved. I have tried installing Linux-image 4.9
from backports (using the command line) now again, the problem persists.
However, in the debian-laptop users list, I guy who said he has the
exact same laptop (Asus X441SA) said he is running Gnome-Classic
(Gnome), I have tried asking him if he got this problem but have
received no response from him.
All commands outputs here are in a new installation (I have installed 3
times now), with the regular kernel (3.16)
Outputs:
inxi commands say 'command not found'
lspci .... :
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device
[8086:22b1] (rev 35)
Subsystem: ASUSTek Computer Inc. Device [1043:1290]
00:0b.0 Signa processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Device
[8086:22dc] (rev 35)
Subsystem: ASUSTek Computer Inc. Device [1043:1290]
00:13.0 SATA Controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22a3]
(rev 35)

I have pasted Xorg log at https://paste.debian.net/933539

Should I just try Mate or XFCE?? is it possible that works?

thanks a lot,

On Sun, May 21, 2017, at 03:57 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> >> I have a Lenovo laptop with the problem you describe and it's a
> >> kernel/video/plasma problem, works fine with the old Sid 4.7 kernel but
> >> not with the 4.9, first boot is ok, on restart you will not get the DM
> >> or x and may freeze up.  Sometimes switching back and forth on the
> >> consoles will get you x, alt+ctrl+F2-F1-F3-F7. Jessie back-ports are
> >> also 4.9 and don't work right too. The problem here is an
> >> Intel-965-mobile, I'm going to install the Jessie kernel and see if that
> >> works or maybe a Ubuntu kernel, I think they are 4.4 and 4.8, I know the
> >> 4.4 will work, for me anyways, but I have to do something cause the 4.7
> >> kernel is old now and not getting security updates.
> > Hey, its better than the 3.16 kernel I was stuck with for a long time up
> > until just a couple of months. :)  In my case, laptop would boot, but
> > the screen would be completely blanked out.  If I caught the boot
> > process at just the right time with a alt+ctl+F1, I could get it to
> > finish booting, if I missed the window, it was power-off, power-on!! :(
> > The first-boot on 3.16  would do usually boot into software emulation
> > mode, and then I installed the Radeon drivers, and everything was OK.  I
> > have 4.9 running now and working fine. Video drivers and wifi drivers
> > have been my bane for many a year!
>
> I had to remove all Debian firmware and installed linux-image-generic
> and linux-headers-generic and Ubuntu's firmware-linux, but now it's
> running 4.4.0-21-generic, it's booting fine and I can get updates too.
> So this kernel problem I've had for more than a year is fixed, I was
> going to wait for Stretch to go final but I've waited long enough. This
> was on two systems Sid/Testing and Stretch. The version I'm using is
> Ubuntu 16.04, just in case the OP wants to try it, I used Synaptic to do
> the work and pinned the Debian release so not to pickup any other Ubuntu
> packages not needed and I was able to rid more than 800Mb of Debian
> kernel's on each system.
> --
> Jimmy Johnson
>
> Debian Sid/Testing - Plasma 5.8.6 - EXT4 at sda15
> Registered Linux User #380263

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Felix Miata-3
Anil Duggirala composed on 2017-05-21 19:24 (UTC-0500):

> More info: When I installed initially with LXDE, I had horrible graphics
> and no touchpad, upon installing the Linux-image from backports (4.9),
> these problems were resolved. I have tried installing Linux-image 4.9
> from backports (using the command line) now again, the problem persists.
> However, in the debian-laptop users list, I guy who said he has the
> exact same laptop (Asus X441SA) said he is running Gnome-Classic
> (Gnome), I have tried asking him if he got this problem but have
> received no response from him.
> All commands outputs here are in a new installation (I have installed 3
> times now), with the regular kernel (3.16)
> Outputs:
> inxi commands say 'command not found'

Install it, then run it:

        apt-get install inxi
        inxi -c0 -G

> lspci .... :
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device
> [8086:22b1] (rev 35)

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Intel/NUC5PPYH reports your 8086:22b1
Intel gfxchip is not supported on (standard with 3.16 kernel) Debian Jessie, but
is supported on Debian Stretch.

> I have pasted Xorg log at https://paste.debian.net/933539

from that log:

        (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
        (II) FBDEV(1): using default device

confirms your gfxchip is not supported by the software installed and is falling
back to a generic driver that is not even minimally usable with Gnome and/or GDM.

> Should I just try Mate or XFCE?? is it possible that works?
You should install Stretch. Even with Mate or Xfce video performance will be
poor at best in Jessie unless you can install whatever is required from backports.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On 05/21/2017 07:24 PM, Anil Duggirala wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your responses. I did not expect such quick and full
> response. I also really don't believe it has anything to do with
> partitioning (Debian deleted the partitions and created exactly
> corresponding partitions with guided partitioning).
> More info: When I installed initially with LXDE, I had horrible graphics
> and no touchpad, upon installing the Linux-image from backports (4.9),
> these problems were resolved. I have tried installing Linux-image 4.9
> from backports (using the command line) now again, the problem persists.
> However, in the debian-laptop users list, I guy who said he has the
> exact same laptop (Asus X441SA) said he is running Gnome-Classic
> (Gnome), I have tried asking him if he got this problem but have
> received no response from him.
> All commands outputs here are in a new installation (I have installed 3
> times now), with the regular kernel (3.16)
> Outputs:
> inxi commands say 'command not found'
> lspci .... :
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device
> [8086:22b1] (rev 35)
> Subsystem: ASUSTek Computer Inc. Device [1043:1290]
> 00:0b.0 Signa processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Device
> [8086:22dc] (rev 35)
> Subsystem: ASUSTek Computer Inc. Device [1043:1290]
> 00:13.0 SATA Controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22a3]
> (rev 35)
>
> I have pasted Xorg log at https://paste.debian.net/933539
>
> Should I just try Mate or XFCE?? is it possible that works?
>
> thanks a lot,

Sorry about the side conversation on partitioning.  Clearly your problem
is not the partitioning scheme.  As Felix found, the key information in
lspci output is the device id (8086:22b1) for your graphics controller
is not supported in the stable distribution of Debian.  It is, however,
supported in the Stretch distribution.  I am running Stretch currently,
and it is a good working distribution, with the vast majority of major
bugs already worked out of it.  You should be able to run Stretch
without problems.  I concur with Felix, install Stretch and enjoy :)

WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Anil F Duggirala
Thanks a lot Felix and Micheal.
I will follow your advice, and for the first time ever, use Debian
Testing. I guess when Stretch is released I will be able to install
that, correct? So I will be able to go back to using a stable release
right? I'm really afraid of testing, the whole reason I like Debian is
for its stability, but using stable would require me to install various
packages from backports maybe?? I did try installing that newer kernel,
that didn't work.
thanks a lot,

On Sun, May 21, 2017, at 10:55 PM, Michael Milliman wrote:

> [...]
> >> running 4.4.0-21-generic, it's booting fine and I can get updates too.
> >> So this kernel problem I've had for more than a year is fixed, I was
> >> going to wait for Stretch to go final but I've waited long enough. This
> >> was on two systems Sid/Testing and Stretch. The version I'm using is
> >> Ubuntu 16.04, just in case the OP wants to try it, I used Synaptic to do
> >> the work and pinned the Debian release so not to pickup any other Ubuntu
> >> packages not needed and I was able to rid more than 800Mb of Debian
> >> kernel's on each system.
> >> --
> >> Jimmy Johnson
> >>
> >> Debian Sid/Testing - Plasma 5.8.6 - EXT4 at sda15
> >> Registered Linux User #380263
> >>

> --
> 73's,
> WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Brian
On Mon 22 May 2017 at 08:54:59 -0500, Anil Duggirala wrote:

> Thanks a lot Felix and Micheal.
> I will follow your advice, and for the first time ever, use Debian
> Testing. I guess when Stretch is released I will be able to install
> that, correct? So I will be able to go back to using a stable release

You already have Stretch installed. Ok, it is not yet released as stable
but it is nearly there. Make sure your sources.list has stretch and not
testing for the deb lines to keep the machine on stable.

> right? I'm really afraid of testing, the whole reason I like Debian is
> for its stability, but using stable would require me to install various
> packages from backports maybe?? I did try installing that newer kernel,
> that didn't work.

At this stage of the freeze you are not risking much in terms of
stability. No need to be afraid.

Brian.

Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Anil F Duggirala
Thanks a lot Brian, so right after I install I can change all deb lines
and replace 'testing' with 'stretch' ??

On Mon, May 22, 2017, at 09:05 AM, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 22 May 2017 at 08:54:59 -0500, Anil Duggirala wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot Felix and Micheal.
> > I will follow your advice, and for the first time ever, use Debian
> > Testing. I guess when Stretch is released I will be able to install
> > that, correct? So I will be able to go back to using a stable release
>
> You already have Stretch installed. Ok, it is not yet released as stable
> but it is nearly there. Make sure your sources.list has stretch and not
> testing for the deb lines to keep the machine on stable.
>
> > right? I'm really afraid of testing, the whole reason I like Debian is
> > for its stability, but using stable would require me to install various
> > packages from backports maybe?? I did try installing that newer kernel,
> > that didn't work.
>
> At this stage of the freeze you are not risking much in terms of
> stability. No need to be afraid.
>
> --
> Brian.

1234