Only one WISH: don't leave Gnome2!

ricky.hh@libero.it
Hi, i'm from italy. Please Debian Team, don't let GNOME2 die... really, the
best DE ever, don't leave it, please.

Re: Only one WISH: don't leave Gnome2!

Roman V. Nikolaev

Re: Only one WISH: don't leave Gnome2!

Stefano Salvi-2
Il 04/07/2012 08:05, Roman V. Nikolaev ha scritto:

> 03.07.2012 23:01, [hidden email] пишет:
>
>> Hi, i'm from italy. Please Debian Team, don't let GNOME2 die...
>> really, the best DE ever, don't leave it, please.
>>

> apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Gnome Fallback is NOT Gnome2 - is far less usable!

Why have we accept such a regression?

Stefano Salvi

Re: Only one WISH: don't leave Gnome2!

Ross Burton
On 4 July 2012 15:33, Stefano Salvi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gnome Fallback is NOT Gnome2 - is far less usable!
>
> Why have we accept such a regression?

Probably because the GNOME team is packaging upstream GNOME, which is version 3.

If you want to maintain GNOME 2 upstream and propose to maintain it in
Debian you are welcome to I'm sure.

Ross

Il 04/07/2012 16:39, Ross Burton ha scritto:

> On 4 July 2012 15:33, Stefano Salvi<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Gnome Fallback is NOT Gnome2 - is far less usable!
>>
>> Why have we accept such a regression?
>>
> Probably because the GNOME team is packaging upstream GNOME, which is version 3.
>
> If you want to maintain GNOME 2 upstream and propose to maintain it in
> Debian you are welcome to I'm sure.

Probably this complaint should be addressed to Gnome team, not Debian....

Thank you
     Stefano

Re: Only one WISH: don't leave Gnome2!

Jeremy Nickurak-10
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Stefano Salvi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why have we accept such a regression?

Because the developers are unwilling to support a massive code base with poorly implemented features that almost nobody uses, with known bugs that nobody wants to address.

Nobody who cares enough about these features has stepped up with the skill required to re-architect those features in a way that's clean enough and reliable enough to make the maintainers of the code happy.

There's a fork of Gnome 2 called "Mate", which you can install from here: http://mate.karapetsas.com/. The quality and reliability of that fork is entirely up to the people maintaining that fork.

Jeremy Nickurak

Re: Only one WISH: don't leave Gnome2!

Jean Schurger
Le mercredi 04 juillet 2012 à 10:17 -0600, Jeremy Nickurak a écrit :

> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Stefano Salvi <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Why have we accept such a regression?
>
> Because the developers are unwilling to support a massive code base
> with poorly implemented features that almost nobody uses, with known
> bugs that nobody wants to address.
>

> Nobody who cares enough about these features has stepped up with the
> skill required to re-architect those features in a way that's clean
> enough and reliable enough to make the maintainers of the code happy.
>

> There's a fork of Gnome 2 called "Mate", which you can install from
> here: http://mate.karapetsas.com/. The quality and reliability of that
> fork is entirely up to the people maintaining that fork.

Linux mint provide some 'mate' packaging for their 'debian edition'.
You can dig for 'linux mint debian edition' sources.list
and install 'mate' from packages. I did it, just to try, and it worked.

(Since, i've removed thoses packages and sources.list entries, as i
don't like 'mate'.)

--
Jean Schurger
http://schurger.org

Re: Only one WISH: don't leave Gnome2!

Josselin Mouette
Le mercredi 04 juillet 2012 à 16:33 +0200, Stefano Salvi a écrit :
> Gnome Fallback is NOT Gnome2 - is far less usable!

How is it less usable?

Explain!
http://malsain.org/~joss/explain.jpg

--