Organization pronouns for Community Team

Organization pronouns for Community Team

Luke W Faraone
Hi,

I am seeking to update the Community Team section[1] to include member
pronouns. I'm non-binary and use they/them, and wanted to make the
team's diversity a little more clear.

I note we already have tags for ``<delegate_{fe,}male>``, I assume to
allow for localisation in gendered languages. English, of course, we
lack such distinction.

I suspect changing the English default for all delegates to be something
like ``(delegate, he/him)`` would be a bad choice for a number of
reasons, principally that it'd be a lot of effort to ensure it's 100%
accurate, and secondarily because I don't immediately want to push for
the potentially more controversial change. (Doing this for CT is
something we have agreed upon.)

In any case, we'd need to create new tags for pronouns anyways, for
non-delegates.

Is the right answer to just create new tags for the combination?

tag                   English text
=================     =====================
delegate_hehim        (delegate; he/him)
delegate_sheher       (delegate; she/her)
delegate_theythem     (delegate; they/them)
hehim                 (he/him)
sheher                (she/her)
theythem              (they/them)

[1]: https://www.debian.org/intro/organization#community

Cheers,
Luke Faraone (they/them)

Re: Organization pronouns for Community Team

Laura Arjona Reina-4
Hi

El 16 de abril de 2020 0:05:36 CEST, Luke W Faraone <[hidden email]> escribió:

>Hi,
>
>I am seeking to update the Community Team section[1] to include member
>pronouns. I'm non-binary and use they/them, and wanted to make the
>team's diversity a little more clear.
>
>I note we already have tags for ``<delegate_{fe,}male>``, I assume to
>allow for localisation in gendered languages. English, of course, we
>lack such distinction.
>
>I suspect changing the English default for all delegates to be something
>like ``(delegate, he/him)`` would be a bad choice for a number of
>reasons, principally that it'd be a lot of effort to ensure it's 100%
>accurate, and secondarily because I don't immediately want to push for
>the potentially more controversial change. (Doing this for CT is
>something we have agreed upon.)
>
>In any case, we'd need to create new tags for pronouns anyways, for
>non-delegates.
>
>Is the right answer to just create new tags for the combination?
>
>tag                   English text
>=================     =====================
>delegate_hehim        (delegate; he/him)
>delegate_sheher       (delegate; she/her)
>delegate_theythem     (delegate; they/them)
>hehim                 (he/him)
>sheher                (she/her)
>theythem              (they/them)

I think it is a good proposal. People can switch to it or keep the current ones as they wish.

The tags should be created in the file /english/intro/organization.data

Then we need to update the language templates as it is explained in /english/po/README and then translators can update their templates and translate the new tags, if needed.

I can do it during tomorrow Thursday if nobody beats me to it.

Kind regards,

--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona