PDFtoMusic installation

Rodolfo Medina
Hi all.

Here:

 http://www.myriad-online.com/en/download/linux.htm?a=pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run&b=PDFtoMusic%20Pro&i=pdftomusicproicon.png&v=1.6.5

I downloaded and installed an interesting pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run but can't
make it run...  When I try to launch the binary with:

 $ ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro

I get:

-bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory

Anybody able to help...?

Thanks,

Rodolfo

Re: PDFtoMusic installation

Brian
On Sun 19 May 2019 at 06:32:02 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Here:
>
>  http://www.myriad-online.com/en/download/linux.htm?a=pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run&b=PDFtoMusic%20Pro&i=pdftomusicproicon.png&v=1.6.5
>
> I downloaded and installed an interesting pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run but can't
> make it run...  When I try to launch the binary with:
>
>  $ ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro
>
> I get:
>
> -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory
>
> Anybody able to help...?

The file is named pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run. Either make it executable
with chmod or do

sh pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run

Brian.

Re: PDFtoMusic installation

Curt
On 2019-05-19, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun 19 May 2019 at 06:32:02 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Here:
>>
>>  http://www.myriad-online.com/en/download/linux.htm?a=pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run&b=PDFtoMusic%20Pro&i=pdftomusicproicon.png&v=1.6.5
>>
>> I downloaded and installed an interesting pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run but can't
>> make it run...  When I try to launch the binary with:
>>
>>  $ ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory
>>
>> Anybody able to help...?
>
> The file is named pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run. Either make it executable
> with chmod or do
>
> sh pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run

That was my initial reaction until I reflected upon it further and
realized the OP had successfully accomplished that first step and now
wishes to run the extracted executable.

Normally, it should reside in "/usr/bin/PDFtoMusic Pro" (why there is a
space in the name defies my imaginative faculty).

Brian <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun 19 May 2019 at 06:32:02 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Here:
>>
>>  http://www.myriad-online.com/en/download/linux.htm?a=pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run&b=PDFtoMusic%20Pro&i=pdftomusicproicon.png&v=1.6.5
>>
>> I downloaded and installed an interesting pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run but
>> can't make it run...  When I try to launch the binary with:
>>
>>  $ ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory
>>
>> Anybody able to help...?
>
> The file is named pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run. Either make it executable
> with chmod or do
>
> sh pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run

Thanks, sorry, maybe I badly explained myself...  I did as you suggest and
managed to install the program...  But my problem after the installation is now
running the program with

$ ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro

which produces:

-bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory

although I give that command in the same directory of the file.  Same result
with

 $ /usr/bin/PDFtoMusic\ Pro

Please help...

Thanks

Rodolfo

On Sun 19 May 2019 at 12:01:28 -0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2019-05-19, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sun 19 May 2019 at 06:32:02 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all.
> >>
> >> Here:
> >>
> >>  http://www.myriad-online.com/en/download/linux.htm?a=pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run&b=PDFtoMusic%20Pro&i=pdftomusicproicon.png&v=1.6.5
> >>
> >> I downloaded and installed an interesting pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run but can't
> >> make it run...  When I try to launch the binary with:
> >>
> >>  $ ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro
> >>
> >> I get:
> >>
> >> -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory
> >>
> >> Anybody able to help...?
> >
> > The file is named pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run. Either make it executable
> > with chmod or do
> >
> > sh pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run
> >

> That was my initial reaction until I reflected upon it further and
> realized the OP had successfully accomplished that first step and now
> wishes to run the extracted executable.
>
> Normally, it should reside in "/usr/bin/PDFtoMusic Pro" (why there is a
> space in the name defies my imaginative faculty).

Tiredness is my excuse for not reading carefully enough. A result of
watching all that singing(?) last night.

./PDFtoMusic\ Pro gives me "Segmentation fault".

Brian.

Curt <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 2019-05-19, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun 19 May 2019 at 06:32:02 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> Here:
>>>
>>>  http://www.myriad-online.com/en/download/linux.htm?a=pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run&b=PDFtoMusic%20Pro&i=pdftomusicproicon.png&v=1.6.5
>>>
>>> I downloaded and installed an interesting pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run but
>>> can't make it run...  When I try to launch the binary with:
>>>
>>>  $ ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro
>>>
>>> I get:
>>>
>>> -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> Anybody able to help...?
>>
>> The file is named pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run. Either make it executable
>> with chmod or do
>>
>> sh pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run
>>

> That was my initial reaction until I reflected upon it further and
> realized the OP had successfully accomplished that first step and now
> wishes to run the extracted executable.

Exactly...!

> Normally, it should reside in "/usr/bin/PDFtoMusic Pro"

Yes, but the same error I get with

 $ /usr/bin/PDFtoMusic\ Pro

although the file is there just in /usr/bin.

> (why there is a
> space in the name defies my imaginative faculty).

Mine also...!

Please help, the software in question seems to be an interesting one...

Thanks

Rodolfo

Brian <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun 19 May 2019 at 12:01:28 -0000, Curt wrote:

>> > The file is named pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run. Either make it executable
>> > with chmod or do
>> >
>> > sh pdftomusicpro-1.6.5.0.run
>> >

>> That was my initial reaction until I reflected upon it further and
>> realized the OP had successfully accomplished that first step and now
>> wishes to run the extracted executable.
>>
>> Normally, it should reside in "/usr/bin/PDFtoMusic Pro" (why there is a
>> space in the name defies my imaginative faculty).
>
> Tiredness is my excuse for not reading carefully enough. A result of
> watching all that singing(?) last night.

Did you go to Opera theatre...?

> ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro gives me "Segmentation fault".

To me instead it says:

 -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory

Thanks,

Rodolfo

Re: PDFtoMusic installation

Siard
Rodolfo Medina:
> Brian:
> > ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro gives me "Segmentation fault".
>
> To me instead it says:
>
>  -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory

I can only say that it works fine here in Buster.
>From ~ or any other directory I run this command:

$ PDFtoMusic\ Pro

These are all its files:

~/.config/ACAMPREF/*
~/Myriad Documents/PDFtoMusic/*
/usr/bin/PDFtoMusic Pro
/usr/share/PDFtoMusic Pro/*
/usr/share/applications/pdftomusicpro.desktop
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/myriad-online/*

Siard <[hidden email]> writes:

> Rodolfo Medina:
>> Brian:
>> > ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro gives me "Segmentation fault".
>>
>> To me instead it says:
>>
>>  -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory
>
> I can only say that it works fine here in Buster.
>>From ~ or any other directory I run this command:
>
> $ PDFtoMusic\ Pro
>
> These are all its files:
>
> ~/.config/ACAMPREF/*
> ~/Myriad Documents/PDFtoMusic/*
> /usr/bin/PDFtoMusic Pro
> /usr/share/PDFtoMusic Pro/*
> /usr/share/applications/pdftomusicpro.desktop
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/myriad-online/*

Ehi...  I full-upgraded to Sid and...  It works now!  Launched simply with

 $ PDFtoMusic\ Pro

Rodolfo

Re: PDFtoMusic installation

Nicholas Geovanis-2
You are invoking an executable whose name has a space character in it. Usually those files originate in Windows systems but Linux supports them.
That \ character there (note direction of slant) is trying to escape the space character. But in your shells (Or at least in that invocation) you didn't do it correctly. Siard did by putting the executable into his PATH, but you don't have to. Enclose the whole command line in single quotes and give it a try.

Rodolfo Medina:

Nicholas Geovanis <[hidden email]> writes:

> You are invoking an executable whose name has a space character in it.
> Usually those files originate in Windows systems but Linux supports them.
> That \ character there (note direction of slant) is trying to escape the
> space character. But in your shells (Or at least in that invocation) you
> didn't do it correctly. Siard did by putting the executable into his PATH,
> but you don't have to. Enclose the whole command line in single quotes and
> give it a try.

Thanks, but I'm afraid that doesn't work either.  To have it work, on another
PC of mine, I had to upgrade to Sid, and then now the program starts
regularly.  I think, it seems to me at first uses, to be an interesting
software...

Rodolfo

On Sun, May 19, 2019, 11:52 AM Rodolfo Medina <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks, but I'm afraid that doesn't work either.  To have it work, on another
PC of mine, I had to upgrade to Sid, and then now the program starts
regularly.

Then I wonder what are the differences in bash version and default bash profiles between the two releases. I doubt that the app itself is the cause although that's possible. Unless: Did the app also get upgraded version?

Rodolfo

Re: PDFtoMusic installation

Rodolfo Medina
Nicholas Geovanis <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, May 19, 2019, 11:52 AM Rodolfo Medina
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Thanks, but I'm afraid that doesn't work either.  To have it work, on
>  another
>  PC of mine, I had to upgrade to Sid, and then now the program starts
>  regularly.
>
> Then I wonder what are the differences in bash version and default bash
> profiles between the two releases. I doubt that the app itself is the cause
> although that's possible. Unless: Did the app also get upgraded version?

I don't think so, because the app was installed not via `aptitude' or `apt
get', but running an executable previously downloaded.

Rodolfo

Rodolfo Medina <[hidden email]> writes:

> Siard <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Rodolfo Medina:
>>> Brian:
>>>
>>> To me instead it says:
>>>
>>>  -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory
>>
>> I can only say that it works fine here in Buster.
>>>From ~ or any other directory I run this command:
>>
>> $ PDFtoMusic\ Pro
>>
>> These are all its files:
>>
>> ~/.config/ACAMPREF/*
>> ~/Myriad Documents/PDFtoMusic/*
>> /usr/bin/PDFtoMusic Pro
>> /usr/share/PDFtoMusic Pro/*
>> /usr/share/applications/pdftomusicpro.desktop
>> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/myriad-online/*
>

> Ehi...  I full-upgraded to Sid and...  It works now!  Launched simply with
>
>  $ PDFtoMusic\ Pro

After upgrading to Sid, during PDFtoMusic re-installation, it asked me to
install the following packages:

libasound2
libc6
libfontconfig1
libx11-6
libxrender1

Rodolfo

All of these packages were already installed here.

Siard <[hidden email]> writes:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> After upgrading to Sid, during PDFtoMusic re-installation, it asked me to
>> install the following packages:
>>
>> libasound2
>> libc6
>> libfontconfig1
>> libx11-6
>> libxrender1
>
> All of these packages were already installed here.

In my system, you mean?  How do you know?  And then why did it want to install
them?

Rodolfo

On 2019-05-20, Rodolfo Medina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Siard <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>>> After upgrading to Sid, during PDFtoMusic re-installation, it asked me to
>>> install the following packages:
>>>
>>> libasound2
>>> libc6
>>> libfontconfig1
>>> libx11-6
>>> libxrender1
>>
>> All of these packages were already installed here.
>

> In my system, you mean?  How do you know?  And then why did it want to install
> them?

No, here means there, because he's there, not here.

You're there for everyone but yourself, for whom you're here (wherever
that is).

HTH.

> Rodolfo

Re: PDFtoMusic installation

David Wright-3
On Mon 20 May 2019 at 10:49:23 (+0000), Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Siard <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >> After upgrading to Sid, during PDFtoMusic re-installation, it asked me to
> >> install the following packages:
> >>
> >> libasound2
> >> libc6
> >> libfontconfig1
> >> libx11-6
> >> libxrender1
> >
> > All of these packages were already installed here.
>
> In my system, you mean?
No, but …

> How do you know?

… it's inconceivable that you're running a system without, say, libc6.
Its dependencies are attached (in a non-DE system).

> And then why did it want to install them?

Versions? Architectures? Mistake?

Cheers,
David.

Re: PDFtoMusic installation

Greg Wooledge
On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 12:02:52PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Thanks, sorry, maybe I badly explained myself...  I did as you suggest and
> managed to install the program...  But my problem after the installation is now
> running the program with
>
> $ ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro
>
> which produces:
>
> -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory

Because it's not in your current directory, is it.  It's in /usr/bin.

> although I give that command in the same directory of the file.

So you were IN /usr/bin at the time?  Why is your shell prompt hidden?
Did you really strip it down to PS1='\$ ' with no other information in
it?

> Same result with
>
>  $ /usr/bin/PDFtoMusic\ Pro

Start from the beginning.

What version of Debian are you running?  On what architecture?

How did you install this application?  Where does it come from?  What
steps did you perform?

What does "ls -ld /usr/bin/PDFto*" say?

What does "file /usr/bin/PDFto*" say?

If it's some kind of interpreted script (shell or otherwise), what does
the first line of the script say?  It should begin with #! and it should
most definitely absolutely positively NOT end with a carriage return
character.  Try something like "head -n1 /usr/bin/PDFto* | cat -e".  If
that ends with ^M$ then you've found a problem.

If it's a compiled program, what does "ldd /usr/bin/PDFto*" say?

Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 12:02:52PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Thanks, sorry, maybe I badly explained myself...  I did as you suggest and
>> managed to install the program...  But my problem after the installation is
>> now
>> running the program with
>>
>> $ ./PDFtoMusic\ Pro
>>
>> which produces:
>>
>> -bash: ./PDFtoMusic Pro: No such file or directory
>
> Because it's not in your current directory, is it.  It's in /usr/bin.
>
>> although I give that command in the same directory of the file.
>
> So you were IN /usr/bin at the time?  Why is your shell prompt hidden?
> Did you really strip it down to PS1='\$ ' with no other information in
> it?
>
>> Same result with
>>
>>  $ /usr/bin/PDFtoMusic\ Pro

> Start from the beginning.
>
> What version of Debian are you running?  On what architecture?
>
> How did you install this application?  Where does it come from?  What
> steps did you perform?
>
> What does "ls -ld /usr/bin/PDFto*" say?
>
> What does "file /usr/bin/PDFto*" say?
>
> If it's some kind of interpreted script (shell or otherwise), what does
> the first line of the script say?  It should begin with #! and it should
> most definitely absolutely positively NOT end with a carriage return
> character.  Try something like "head -n1 /usr/bin/PDFto* | cat -e".  If
> that ends with ^M$ then you've found a problem.
>
> If it's a compiled program, what does "ldd /usr/bin/PDFto*" say?

Thanks.  It's all right now (as I wrote) after full-upgrading to Sid...  I did
say where the application (a commercial one) comes from:

  http://www.myriad-online.com

But its capabilities are of great interest...

Rodolfo