Packaging the new WebKitGTK+ 2.6 series

Alberto Garcia-2
WebKitGTK+ 2.5.1 has just been published. This is the first
development release of the upcoming 2.6 series.

WebKitGTK+ has two APIs: the classic one and the more recent
WebKit2. The classic one is now often referred to as "WebKit1".

WebKit1 supports GTK+2 and GTK+3, while WebKit2 only supports GTK+3.

In Debian we have packages for all three cases:

   libwebkitgtk-1.0-0    (WK1, GTK2)
   libwebkitgtk-3.0-0    (WK1, GTK3)
   libwebkit2gtk-3.0-25  (WK2, GTK3)

The most important change of this new series is the removal of the
WebKit1 API. Bugfix releases of the 2.4.x series will be made for some
time, but otherwise it's expected that applications switch to WebKit2
if they want to use the newest developments.

Here's a blog post summarizing the situation:

   http://blogs.igalia.com/carlosgc/2014/08/01/webkitgtk-2-5-1-good-bye-webkit1/

Although WebKit1 is formally deprecated, there is still a significant
number of programs using it (midori, banshee, xxxterm, shotwell,
liferea, evolution, ...) so we need to keep the old packages around.

So we need to package both series separately (like we already do with
e.g. gtk+2.0 and gtk+3.0), we could have a new "webkit2gtk" package
with the new series. If I'm not wrong this needs a new ITP bug, right?

Note also that the ABI has changed, so applications need to be rebuilt
against the new series (there will be libwebkit2gtk-4.0-XX).

If all this looks fine to you, I can prepare the ITP one of these
days.

Opinions? Comments?

Berto

Re: Packaging the new WebKitGTK+ 2.6 series

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort-4
On 04/08/14 15:20, Alberto Garcia wrote:

> WebKitGTK+ 2.5.1 has just been published. This is the first
> development release of the upcoming 2.6 series.
>
> WebKitGTK+ has two APIs: the classic one and the more recent
> WebKit2. The classic one is now often referred to as "WebKit1".
>
> WebKit1 supports GTK+2 and GTK+3, while WebKit2 only supports GTK+3.
>
> In Debian we have packages for all three cases:
>
>    libwebkitgtk-1.0-0    (WK1, GTK2)
>    libwebkitgtk-3.0-0    (WK1, GTK3)
>    libwebkit2gtk-3.0-25  (WK2, GTK3)
>
> The most important change of this new series is the removal of the
> WebKit1 API. Bugfix releases of the 2.4.x series will be made for some
> time, but otherwise it's expected that applications switch to WebKit2
> if they want to use the newest developments.
>
> Here's a blog post summarizing the situation:
>
>    http://blogs.igalia.com/carlosgc/2014/08/01/webkitgtk-2-5-1-good-bye-webkit1/
>
> Although WebKit1 is formally deprecated, there is still a significant
> number of programs using it (midori, banshee, xxxterm, shotwell,
> liferea, evolution, ...) so we need to keep the old packages around.

Yes. I started filing bugs against webkit1 rdeps. I only did the python-webkit
rdeps so far, need to do the rest.

> So we need to package both series separately (like we already do with
> e.g. gtk+2.0 and gtk+3.0), we could have a new "webkit2gtk" package
> with the new series. If I'm not wrong this needs a new ITP bug, right?

An ITP is not needed. After all, this is just a new release of an existing
package, with a different src name for technical reasons. The ITP won't hurt
though, so feel free to file one.

I also thought of renaming it to src:webkit2gtk, fwiw :-)

> Note also that the ABI has changed, so applications need to be rebuilt
> against the new series (there will be libwebkit2gtk-4.0-XX).

Yeah. When libwebkit2gtk-3.0 has no rdeps, we can remove it and keep
src:webkitgtk building webkit1 only (until that can also be removed).

> If all this looks fine to you, I can prepare the ITP one of these
> days.
>
> Opinions? Comments?

Sounds good! Let me know if you want me to take a look at your changes. I can't
work on this much until next month, but I can at least review it if that's needed.

Cheers,
Emilio

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 12:14:13AM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:

> An ITP is not needed. After all, this is just a new release of an
> existing package, with a different src name for technical reasons.

Ok

> > Opinions? Comments?
>
> Sounds good! Let me know if you want me to take a look at your
> changes. I can't work on this much until next month, but I can at
> least review it if that's needed.

I'm making some tests, and I'll probably have something ready during
this week. I guess we can use the same git repo for both packages?

On 06/08/14 13:25, Alberto Garcia wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 12:14:13AM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>
>> An ITP is not needed. After all, this is just a new release of an
>> existing package, with a different src name for technical reasons.
>
> Ok
>
>>> Opinions? Comments?
>>
>> Sounds good! Let me know if you want me to take a look at your
>> changes. I can't work on this much until next month, but I can at
>> least review it if that's needed.
>
> I'm making some tests, and I'll probably have something ready during
> this week. I guess we can use the same git repo for both packages?

Yeah, that should be fine. We can use webkitgtk-2.6 for the upstream branch and
unstable-webkit2gtk or just webkit2gtk or something else for the debian branch.

Cheers,
Emilio