[Patch] tar exec: use --no-recursion before -T option

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Patch] tar exec: use --no-recursion before -T option

Sergio Basto
Hi,
I promised report this little issue upstream [1] :

Some backported a fix for gnu tar (bug #1230762 [2] ) to fix amanda
backup software, this however caused problems with dpkg in Fedora.  The
problem is that 'dpkg-build' calls 'tar' with --no-recursion speficied
"after" -T option, in this case --no-recursion has no effect on members
specified before.

and the patch is here [3]

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1241508#c0
[2] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1230762 
[3] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/dpkg.git/tree/dpkg-tar-invocation.patch

Thanks,
--
Sérgio M. B.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Patch] tar exec: use --no-recursion before -T option

Guillem Jover
Hi!

On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 01:29:03 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> I promised report this little issue upstream [1] :

Thanks for taking the time to report this upstream!

> Some backported a fix for gnu tar (bug #1230762 [2] ) to fix amanda
> backup software, this however caused problems with dpkg in Fedora.  The
> problem is that 'dpkg-build' calls 'tar' with --no-recursion speficied
> "after" -T option, in this case --no-recursion has no effect on members
> specified before.

Right, this was reported to me some time ago by Richard Purdie,
and got already fixed in 1.18.2, for both the dpkg-deb issue and
a potential similar issue I noticed in the perl modules:

<http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/dpkg/dpkg.git/commit/?id=fcfe4f3aa2f3cb7f8179d4f2fe6dd65e75f7bbdf>
<http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/dpkg/dpkg.git/commit/?id=02e2060504f1c8dbbe5dec8211beaf945350c789>

My plan was to keep it in 1.18.x for a bit, to get it tested, and then
backport it to the 1.16.x and 1.17.x branches.

Thanks,
Guillem

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Patch] tar exec: use --no-recursion before -T option

Sergio Basto
On Qui, 2015-08-20 at 15:16 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 01:29:03 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > I promised report this little issue upstream [1] :
>
> Thanks for taking the time to report this upstream!
>
> > Some backported a fix for gnu tar (bug #1230762 [2] ) to fix amanda
> > backup software, this however caused problems with dpkg in Fedora.  The
> > problem is that 'dpkg-build' calls 'tar' with --no-recursion speficied
> > "after" -T option, in this case --no-recursion has no effect on members
> > specified before.
>
> Right, this was reported to me some time ago by Richard Purdie,
> and got already fixed in 1.18.2, for both the dpkg-deb issue and
> a potential similar issue I noticed in the perl modules:
>
> <http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/dpkg/dpkg.git/commit/?id=fcfe4f3aa2f3cb7f8179d4f2fe6dd65e75f7bbdf>
> <http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/dpkg/dpkg.git/commit/?id=02e2060504f1c8dbbe5dec8211beaf945350c789>
>
> My plan was to keep it in 1.18.x for a bit, to get it tested, and then
> backport it to the 1.16.x and 1.17.x branches.

Thanks, I guess I won't need backports , when I have time I will update
dpkg to 1.18.2 (current debian-testing package ) to fedora devel. This
is current map of dpkg in Fedora [1], I follow [2].
How is update dpkg 1.17 to 1.18 ? is easy ? any bigger issue that you
can remember ?


[1] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/dpkg
[2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dpkg

Thanks,
--
Sérgio M. B.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Patch] tar exec: use --no-recursion before -T option

Guillem Jover
Hi!

On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 17:46:22 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> Thanks, I guess I won't need backports , when I have time I will update
> dpkg to 1.18.2 (current debian-testing package ) to fedora devel. This
> is current map of dpkg in Fedora [1], I follow [2].

Ah, that would work too, indeed.

> How is update dpkg 1.17 to 1.18 ? is easy ? any bigger issue that you
> can remember ?

I guess that depends on how you use it. But given that Fedora uses rpm
as its package manager and as we are at the beginning of the dpkg release
cycle there should not be anything too big from 1.17.x to 1.18.x.

Thanks,
Guillem